Posted Mar 24, 2014
1:18:09 PM
iPhone Unlocking Questions and Discussion

How can I get my iPhone unlocked?

How long does this process take?

What are the requirements?

These and other related questions will be answered in this thread. You can click on Go To Solution at the bottom of this post to get all the information you may need. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here and our Community will be happy to help!

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

For account specific help, please use this link: ATTCustomerCare

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution".

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
Mar 24, 2014 1:36:38 PM
(0)
Community Manager

You may need to unlock your iPhone before it will work on another carrier's network. Devices bought from AT&T may be programmed with an IMEI (Subsidy) lock that prevents it from operating with other compatible wireless services. AT&T will provide the necessary Unlock Code upon request, provided your device is eligible, and you have met the unlocking requirements provided below.

To unlock your iPhone, just complete our simple online unlock request form and we'll take it from there. Business customers can request an unlock code for a business device at att.com/biz.

General Eligibility Requirements for Unlocking All AT&T Mobile Devices

AT&T will unlock an AT&T Mobile Device under the following circumstances:

• The person requesting the unlock must be one of the following:

- A current AT&T customer.

- A former AT&T customer who can provide the phone number or account number for the account.

• The AT&T Mobile Device was designed for use on AT&T's network.
  • The AT&T Mobile Device has been paid for in full.
  • The AT&T Mobile Device has not been reported lost or stolen.

Customer-Specific Requirements

• Postpaid Phones and Tablets with a Service Commitment: Account has been active for at least sixty days and is in good standing (i.e., it has no past due amount or unpaid balance owed AT&T), and all contract obligations, including any Service Commitment, associated with the device to be unlocked have been fully satisfied. The Service Commitment associated with a given device may be satisfied in one of the following ways:

- Fulfillment of the Service Commitment by expiration of any contractual term.

- Upgrading to a new device under AT&T standard or early upgrade policies. Note: the customer must wait 14 days after the device upgrade has been completed to request an unlock of the previous device.

- Payment of any applicable Early Termination Fee (ETF)

• Postpaid Phones and Tablets with no Service Commitment: Account has been active for at least sixty days and is in good standing (i.e., it has no past due amount or unpaid balance owed AT&T).
  • Prepaid / GoPhones: Device has been active for at least 6 months.

Additional Information About AT&T Mobile Device Unlocks

• Business customers should make a request to unlock a business device by calling 800-331-0500.
  • Current customers will be allowed up to five (5) unlocks per account, per year.
  • Former customers will be allowed a total of five (5) unlocks per former account.
  • In addition, AT&T will unlock any AT&T Mobile Device for an active and deployed member of the military who is a current AT&T customer in good standing and is able to provide AT&T with deployment verification.

AT&T Mobile Device Unlock Requests

Requests may complete within 48 hours but may take as long as 5 business days.

Important Note

AT&T reserves the right to deny any unlock request that it concludes would result in an abuse of this policy or is part of an effort to defraud AT&T or its customers. AT&T further reserves the right to alter this unlocking policy at its discretion without advance notice.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Accepted Solution

iPhone Unlocking Questions and Discussion

[ Edited ]
402 replies
(7) Me too
(7) Me too
Replies
(402)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
Mar 24, 2014 1:36:38 PM
(0)
Community Manager

You may need to unlock your iPhone before it will work on another carrier's network. Devices bought from AT&T may be programmed with an IMEI (Subsidy) lock that prevents it from operating with other compatible wireless services. AT&T will provide the necessary Unlock Code upon request, provided your device is eligible, and you have met the unlocking requirements provided below.

To unlock your iPhone, just complete our simple online unlock request form and we'll take it from there. Business customers can request an unlock code for a business device at att.com/biz.

General Eligibility Requirements for Unlocking All AT&T Mobile Devices

AT&T will unlock an AT&T Mobile Device under the following circumstances:

• The person requesting the unlock must be one of the following:

- A current AT&T customer.

- A former AT&T customer who can provide the phone number or account number for the account.

• The AT&T Mobile Device was designed for use on AT&T's network.
  • The AT&T Mobile Device has been paid for in full.
  • The AT&T Mobile Device has not been reported lost or stolen.

Customer-Specific Requirements

• Postpaid Phones and Tablets with a Service Commitment: Account has been active for at least sixty days and is in good standing (i.e., it has no past due amount or unpaid balance owed AT&T), and all contract obligations, including any Service Commitment, associated with the device to be unlocked have been fully satisfied. The Service Commitment associated with a given device may be satisfied in one of the following ways:

- Fulfillment of the Service Commitment by expiration of any contractual term.

- Upgrading to a new device under AT&T standard or early upgrade policies. Note: the customer must wait 14 days after the device upgrade has been completed to request an unlock of the previous device.

- Payment of any applicable Early Termination Fee (ETF)

• Postpaid Phones and Tablets with no Service Commitment: Account has been active for at least sixty days and is in good standing (i.e., it has no past due amount or unpaid balance owed AT&T).
  • Prepaid / GoPhones: Device has been active for at least 6 months.

Additional Information About AT&T Mobile Device Unlocks

• Business customers should make a request to unlock a business device by calling 800-331-0500.
  • Current customers will be allowed up to five (5) unlocks per account, per year.
  • Former customers will be allowed a total of five (5) unlocks per former account.
  • In addition, AT&T will unlock any AT&T Mobile Device for an active and deployed member of the military who is a current AT&T customer in good standing and is able to provide AT&T with deployment verification.

AT&T Mobile Device Unlock Requests

Requests may complete within 48 hours but may take as long as 5 business days.

Important Note

AT&T reserves the right to deny any unlock request that it concludes would result in an abuse of this policy or is part of an effort to defraud AT&T or its customers. AT&T further reserves the right to alter this unlocking policy at its discretion without advance notice.

Rethink Possible

For account specific help, please use this link: ATTCustomerCare

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution".

Re: iPhone Unlocking Questions and Discussion

[ Edited ]
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 24, 2014 9:02:34 PM
(0)
Guru

I wishfully hope that the endless stream of unlock posters will read this thread before posting.  It also might help if we point to Messsage #2 rather than repetively post the same answer to each "new" question.

The simple answer:  If you were never an AT&T customer, AT&T will not unlock your phone.  End of story.

Re: iPhone Unlocking Questions and Discussion

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 25, 2014 9:32:32 AM
(0)
Contributor

So, I bought an iPhone off of amazon about a week ago, and it just got here. Here is Spangdahlem Air Base Germany. I went to go activate the phone through T-Mobile EU or whatever it's called. They said, it'll take about 30 minutes for everything to register. I said ooooookay. I walked out, 30 minutes later, I restarted my phone, got all the way to the point where it says activating phone. Then it pops up, this sim card is not calid, please insert a valid sim card. What I ordered off of amazon was an Unlocked iPhone 5, to be used with any GSM carrier worldwide. What I got was a locked iPhone 5, to be used only with AT&T Inside the united states.

I do not know the previous owner, I do not know the previous number. I know none of that. All I know is that I'm 400 dollars in the hole, and I literally just want to call home so I can talk to my family. Is it at all possible to unlock this iPhone from this situation, and if so.. how?

Unlock an iPhone

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 25, 2014 9:39:45 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
AT&T will only unlock phones for current or former customers. Return the phone to Amazon as it was not as advertised.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Unlock an iPhone

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 26, 2014 5:29:25 AM
(0)
Contributor

Where can I get the wireless number and the last 4 of SSN?

How can I request for a device unlock? Please Help.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 26, 2014 5:36:06 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
The wireless number is your phone number. If you bought the phone second had, your phone will not be unlocked. AT&T will only unlock phones for current or former customers.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: How can I request for a device unlock? Please Help.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 26, 2014 5:46:33 AM
(0)
Professor

VelasquezJosh wrote:

Where can I get the wireless number and the last 4 of SSN?

The only person who would have that information is the AT&T customer who had the phone on their account.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 26, 2014 12:49:11 PM
(0)
Mentor

That  is  not  true?  Metro  pcs  can  unlock  phones  too..  But  some  phones  can  not  unlock  too..

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 26, 2014 1:44:22 PM
(0)
Expert

pmaddog007 wrote:

That  is  not  true?  Metro  pcs  can  unlock  phones  too..  But  some  phones  can  not  unlock  too..

Metro PCS will not have the ability to unlock a Iphone that is tied to ATT, the carrier does not generate the unlock, a request is sent to Apple by ATT to flag the phone unlocked on their servers

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 29, 2014 1:05:32 PM
(0)
Contributor

Hello. help to unblock please Iphone5.

imei ****

Nice Name: iPhone 5 (GSM/LTE/AWS/North America)
Machine Model: iPhone5,1
Name: iPhone 5 (GSM model: AT&T and Canada)
ModelCode: iphone_5
Family name: A1428
Group1: iPhone
Group2: 
Generation: 7
CPU speed: 1.3GHz
Screen size: 4 inch
Screen resolution: 1136x640 pixels
Colour: Black
Production year: 2013 
Production week: 18 (May) 
Model introduced: 2013
Capacity: 16GB

[edited for privacy]

Re: Iphone 5 activation/unlock

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 29, 2014 3:39:44 PM
(0)
Expert

LordBen wrote:

Hello. help to unblock please Iphone5.

imei ****

Nice Name: iPhone 5 (GSM/LTE/AWS/North America)
Machine Model: iPhone5,1
Name: iPhone 5 (GSM model: AT&T and Canada)
ModelCode: iphone_5
Family name: A1428
Group1: iPhone
Group2: 
Generation: 7
CPU speed: 1.3GHz
Screen size: 4 inch
Screen resolution: 1136x640 pixels
Colour: Black
Production year: 2013 
Production week: 18 (May) 
Model introduced: 2013
Capacity: 16GB

[edited for privacy]

ATT will only unlock a device if you are currently a customer or previously a customer. Go here to see if you qualify and fill out the form

https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

Re: Iphone 5 activation/unlock

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 29, 2014 5:37:14 PM
(0)
Contributor

Hello, can anybody help me, please? 

I have two locked in AT&T iPhone 4, my friend presented me. I don't know wireless numbers, because can't to use Device Unlock Portal. 

How can I unlock them? Help me please!

Unlock iPhone without wireless number

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 29, 2014 8:14:41 PM
(0)
Master

m-maier wrote:  

Hello, can anybody help me, please? 

I have two locked in AT&T iPhone 4, my friend presented me. I don't know wireless numbers, because can't to use Device Unlock Portal. 

How can I unlock them? Help me please!

You can't get them unlocked because you are not or were not an ATT customer.  It does not matter if you have the old phone numbers or not.  See ATT's guidelines at the top of this forum and you will clearly see that you do not qualify.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:

Re: Unlock iPhone without wireless number

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 29, 2014 9:18:28 PM
(0)
Contributor

The iPhone was designed for use on AT&T's network and my friend was  AT&T customer. Why I can't to unlock? 
Suddenly I can't to call to AT&T, because my english is bad and I write using translator.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 30, 2014 5:53:55 AM
(0)
Master

m-maier wrote:

The iPhone was designed for use on AT&T's network and my friend was  AT&T customer. Why I can't to unlock? 
Suddenly I can't to call to AT&T, because my english is bad and I write using translator.

You are not the customer.  You can ask your friend to put in the request if they were an ATT customer.

It basically comes down to ATT being in the business of providing services to their customers.  They are going to spend their time and money supporting their customers, past and present.

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 30, 2014 5:56:03 AM
(0)
Professor

m-maier wrote:

If your friend was an AT&T customer, have him or her request the unlock through the portal.  That person should have all the information needed for the unlock request.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 30, 2014 12:30:21 PM
(0)
Contributor

I was stupid enough to make a bid for an iPhone 5, locked to At&t in the US without reading all the text.

Unfortunately I won the bidding, and are now the unhappy owner of said iPhone.

I know the IMEI, the Serial number, the Model (A1428), the FCC ID, the IC, and the OS (7.0.6), and feels like sitting with a piece of un-usable electronics.

As I´m living in Sweden and the person (Portland, OR) that sold the phone don´t know the telephone number of the previous owner, I am stuck.

If anyone has an idea about what I can do to get the phone unlocked so I can use it here in Sweden, I would love to hear it. If the phone was reported stolen is also of interest.

Unlocking iPhone bought on Ebay

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 30, 2014 12:47:50 PM
(0)
Employee

Hey GeorgF,

It's not possible.

One of the requirements is that you must be a current of former customer.

To review the full requirements visit www.att.com/deviceunlock

Your best bet is probably to resell it again, maybe on Ebay.

-Alex

Re: Unlocking iPhone bought on Ebay

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 30, 2014 12:58:38 PM
(0)
Mentor

And if your friend won't do it, perhaps you should re-evaluate your friendship.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 30, 2014 1:53:57 PM
(0)
Master

GeorgF wrote:

I was stupid enough to make a bid for an iPhone 5, locked to At&t in the US without reading all the text.

Unfortunately I won the bidding, and are now the unhappy owner of said iPhone.

I know the IMEI, the Serial number, the Model (A1428), the FCC ID, the IC, and the OS (7.0.6), and feels like sitting with a piece of un-usable electronics.

As I´m living in Sweden and the person (Portland, OR) that sold the phone don´t know the telephone number of the previous owner, I am stuck.

If anyone has an idea about what I can do to get the phone unlocked so I can use it here in Sweden, I would love to hear it. If the phone was reported stolen is also of interest.

www.ebay.com

Re: Unlocking iPhone bought on Ebay

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 30, 2014 9:56:58 PM
(0)
Contributor

Hey, 

So I had an iPhone 5 that I bought back in September 21, 2012 and a few months ago my camera would have black spots, since it was out of warranty they told me I was eligable for an upgrade since I had a previous phone with ATT before the iphone 5. Anyways I got an iPhone 5s now and in about a month or so I have a long vacation outside the states and I wanted to unlock the iphone 5 since its out of contract now. The problem is I went to att's website to request an unlock it was denied since I don't have a SSN. (I payed a $500 deposit when I first got my line just so you guys know). So what can I do to unlock my iphone 5 before the end of April? anyone can help? 

How to unlock iphone 5 without SSN

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 31, 2014 5:03:26 AM
(0)
Mentor

If you're going to be out of the US for a month, you should be able to buy a GSM SIM overseas without unlocking the phone.  At least that's my understanding...others will correct me if I'm wrong. 

Re: How to unlock iphone 5 without SSN

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 31, 2014 6:14:40 AM
(0)
Master

Richmond Dan wrote:

If you're going to be out of the US for a month, you should be able to buy a GSM SIM overseas without unlocking the phone.  At least that's my understanding...others will correct me if I'm wrong. 

You would still need the phone unlocked to use another carriers SIM.  If one does not meet the criteria for unlocking, you will not be eligible.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 31, 2014 6:16:07 AM
(0)
Master

aalenezi1 wrote:

Hey, 

So I had an iPhone 5 that I bought back in September 21, 2012 and a few months ago my camera would have black spots, since it was out of warranty they told me I was eligable for an upgrade since I had a previous phone with ATT before the iphone 5. Anyways I got an iPhone 5s now and in about a month or so I have a long vacation outside the states and I wanted to unlock the iphone 5 since its out of contract now. The problem is I went to att's website to request an unlock it was denied since I don't have a SSN. (I payed a $500 deposit when I first got my line just so you guys know). So what can I do to unlock my iphone 5 before the end of April? anyone can help? 

I think you are still out of luck even if you had a SSN.  You may want to get a cheap GSM phone there and then put your iPhone in Airplane mode then turn on wifi.  You will at least have limited data use of the iPhone.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 31, 2014 5:07:50 PM
(0)
Contributor
I don't think it will work it needs to be unlocked, but anyways thanks for replying.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 31, 2014 5:08:57 PM
(0)
Contributor
When I went to upgrade to a 5s att employee told me that I could unlcok the iphone online. It's just the problem is with the SSN part.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 3, 2014 8:19:55 AM
(0)
Contributor

Hello! I live in Iceland and need a specific phonenumber at AT&T where I will get direct contact with a person that could assist me unlocking my I Phone. I bought the phone 2011 in the US and it is locked by AT&T. I have tried other onlinesolutions AT&T but they don´t work so please do not advise me doing something like that again, it don´t work. To solve this I have to talk to a person who can assist me directly or send that person directly an e-mail. I have tried to phone this number (800) 331-0500 but that do not work because I do not have an US phonenumber or a costumernumber and therefore I can´t continue the progress in the phonecall when a "automatic voice"/"answeringmachine" want´s information from me. I need to contact DIRECTLY a person by phone or e-mail.

I would be very thankful if someone could help me.

Best regard from Iceland

direct phonenumber or a specific e-mail to AT&T - unlock I Phone - I live abroad

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 3, 2014 9:39:33 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
AT&T only unlocks phones for current and former customers and the phone had to be used on that account. If you do not meet those requirements, the phone will not be unlocked. If you had an account that is no longer active, contact the original poster of this post - ATTDmitriyCM - by private message. He can get you to the proper people for your resolution.

Re: direct phonenumber or a specific e-mail to AT&T - unlock I Phone - I live abroad

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 3, 2014 4:44:16 PM
(0)
Contributor

Good evening, I got my mom an iphone 5 imported from the United States, but it came locked by AT & T and I need an email to send the data to request unblocking the IMEI and power enable it in Brazil.

I await the return.

Thanks.

Ingrid Michels

Email support