Posted Dec 13, 2011
iPhone Data Usage Counter DIFFERENT from AT&T (*3282#, *DATA#)

I reset my iPhone Cellular Network Data Counter (Reset Statistics) at the same time my "new month" started.  I inentionally synchronized this carefully.  I have noticed as I have tracked my usage via the iPhone 4S internal counter (Settings / General / Cellular Usage / Cellular Network Data), and adding the Sent and Received amounts, that what the iPhone is counting is less than what AT&T is counting and reporting back to me via *DATA#.  My iPhone 4S thinks it used about 7% less than AT&T is telling me I used.   The numbers have continued to diverge, with the iPhone reporting a lower number (yes, I am adding sent and received) than AT&T.  Any reasons for this ?

iPhone Data Usage Counter DIFFERENT from AT&T (*3282#, *DATA#)

34 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(34)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 14, 2011
(0)

ssherrat wrote:

I reset my iPhone Cellular Network Data Counter (Reset Statistics) at the same time my "new month" started.  I inentionally synchronized this carefully.  I have noticed as I have tracked my usage via the iPhone 4S internal counter (Settings / General / Cellular Usage / Cellular Network Data), and adding the Sent and Received amounts, that what the iPhone is counting is less than what AT&T is counting and reporting back to me via *DATA#.  My iPhone 4S thinks it used about 7% less than AT&T is telling me I used.   The numbers have continued to diverge, with the iPhone reporting a lower number (yes, I am adding sent and received) than AT&T.  Any reasons for this ?

During the month, what is reported on ATT's site is only an estimate of usage and is not comparable to the iPhone counter.  To take this further,  I have not seen any reports or validation that the counter on the iPhone is accurate/inaccurate? At best/worst it is an estimate of usage.
I would also remind you that ATT will round the days usage to the nearest MB where the internal counter of the iPhone is not rounding in sync with your ATT account. For example, 12.7mb would be rounded to 13mb on ATT but would be counted at 12.7mb on the iPhone.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: iPhone Data Usage Counter DIFFERENT from AT&T (*3282#, *DATA#)

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 15, 2011
(0)

youngjm wrote:

ssherrat wrote:

During the month, what is reported on ATT's site is only an estimate of usage and is not comparable to the iPhone counter.  To take this further,  I have not seen any reports or validation that the counter on the iPhone is accurate/inaccurate? At best/worst it is an estimate of usage.
I would also remind you that ATT will round the days usage to the nearest MB where the internal counter of the iPhone is not rounding in sync with your ATT account. For example, 12.7mb would be rounded to 13mb on ATT but would be counted at 12.7mb on the iPhone.

If that were the case, then would you agree that the difference over the course of a month should come out to about 15 MB (0.5 MB rounded up to 1 MB, then x 30-31 days)?  Meaning, over the course of a month, the difference between the iPhone counter (assuming you zero it out at the beginning of the month/cycle) and what AT&T reports for that month shouldn't be more than 15 MB; if it's more than that, then either something is being miscalculated or AT&T isn't really rounding up to the nearest MB but perhaps to say, the nearest 10 MB...or 100 MB...or an even higher value than that?  Or are they rounding the total amount used on a monthly cycle, weekly cycle, daily cycle...or heaven forbid, every hour?  I mean, rounding up the total to the nearest MB at the end of the month is one thing...rounding it up to the nearest MB at the end of every hour is something else entirely.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 16, 2011
(0)

I use this app and am generally pleased with it:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/data-usage/id386950560?mt=8

I only wish it would seperate roaming from non-roaming usage.  

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 16, 2011
(0)

Thanks.  Are the results the app reports closer to what AT&T thinks you used, or the usage reported by Settings->General->Usage->Cellular Usage->Cellular Network Data ?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 20, 2011
(0)

youngjm wrote:

Wow, really?  How do you figure the iPhone is only 'estimating' it's own usage?

If there is ONE location a person could get an accurate up to the minute usage measurement, it's the device itself.  The

I've never come across a device that, if it were capable of measuring it's own traffic, did it on an 'estimated' basis.

That is counter intuitive, and not not the sort of engineering we've seen from Apple ever before...

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 21, 2011
(0)

DimentoGraven wrote:

youngjm wrote:

Wow, really?  How do you figure the iPhone is only 'estimating' it's own usage?

If there is ONE location a person could get an accurate up to the minute usage measurement, it's the device itself.  The

I've never come across a device that, if it were capable of measuring it's own traffic, did it on an 'estimated' basis.

That is counter intuitive, and not not the sort of engineering we've seen from Apple ever before...

ATT's own usage monitors tell you it is only an estimate.  As for the iPhone, we really don't know?  All I said is that I have not seen anyone prove that it is or is not accurate.  Therefore I do not assume it is dead on accurate.  It should be but we don't know.  

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 21, 2011
(0)

youngjm wrote:

ATT's own usage monitors tell you it is only an estimate.  As for the iPhone, we really don't know?  All I said is that I have not seen anyone prove that it is or is not accurate.  Therefore I do not assume it is dead on accurate.  It should be but we don't know.  

Yes, we all know that AT&T fudges their monitoring in the interests of profits.  We've seen plenty of reporting with fairly decent testing, showing that AT&T is typically off by at least +20% actual usage.  In none of the reporting has anyone found that AT&T ever UNDER esitmated usage in their billing.

I am willing to trust that Apple knows how to accurately count bits on a device they've designed and built and have no interest in the amount of data sent/received other than for troubleshooting purposes.

AT&T, most reasonable people are not so willing to trust without being able to verify...

This is the crux of quite a few other issues as you know.  If AT&T could be relied upon to provide a 'reasonably' accurate usage report issues with tiered billing would be significantly less.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 5, 2012
(0)

I also reset my iPhone statistics at the beginning of the bill cycle.  Now, 20 days into the cycle, my iPhone reports 12.5 MB total sent and received.  ATT reports 23.55 MB, a 94% overestimate.  I guess what really matters is the difference in counters at the end of the cycle.  Hopefully I can remember to check this in 10 days.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 5, 2012
(0)

campbrd wrote:

I also reset my iPhone statistics at the beginning of the bill cycle.  Now, 20 days into the cycle, my iPhone reports 12.5 MB total sent and received.  ATT reports 23.55 MB, a 94% overestimate.  I guess what really matters is the difference in counters at the end of the cycle.  Hopefully I can remember to check this in 10 days.

Depending on when you reset yours and how long (up to 72 hours) the reporting was delayed on the AT&T side, 11MB difference isn't that much of a divergence. I would expect that the two numbers would be fairly close (within 20MB)

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 27, 2012
(0)

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I have been resetting my iPhone cellular data usage counter monthly and have had AT&T estimating 3-6 TIMES the data usage on my bill! I have been VERY careful with how I use data and I have done everything possible to my phone (reset phone, quit background apps, use WiFi almost exclusively, location manager off, don't check e-mail remotely, etc..) I'm trying to live off of the 200 MB plan because I'm really not a big data user. Actually my data is turned OFF most of the time and I use cellular data in only very controlled ways. For instance, currently I'm showing only 2 MB usage for the month (probably correct since data has been mostly off) but today I had to use the maps app to find an address downtown. All I did was look up an address on maps and check my stocks then quit the maps app... Tonight AT&T showed 79MB usage for the day. I have complained to the FCC and AT&T says that what they report is what I use! I have been and iPhone user since day one when they first came out and this problem started when I upgraded to iOS 5. It happened on my 3GS and now my 4S. I'm hoping that when iOS 5.1 comes out it stops or at least I can turn off the 3G data network and just use the slower EDGE network if the data counter is more accurate. I have the exact same problem on my wifes iPhone. I don't know what else to do other than wait for the problem to be fixed or just dump AT&T when my contract has expired.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 28, 2012
(0)

ITSELE wrote:

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I have been resetting my iPhone cellular data usage counter monthly and have had AT&T estimating 3-6 TIMES the data usage on my bill! I have been VERY careful with how I use data and I have done everything possible to my phone (reset phone, quit background apps, use WiFi almost exclusively, location manager off, don't check e-mail remotely, etc..) I'm trying to live off of the 200 MB plan because I'm really not a big data user. Actually my data is turned OFF most of the time and I use cellular data in only very controlled ways. For instance, currently I'm showing only 2 MB usage for the month (probably correct since data has been mostly off) but today I had to use the maps app to find an address downtown. All I did was look up an address on maps and check my stocks then quit the maps app... Tonight AT&T showed 79MB usage for the day. I have complained to the FCC and AT&T says that what they report is what I use! I have been and iPhone user since day one when they first came out and this problem started when I upgraded to iOS 5. It happened on my 3GS and now my 4S. I'm hoping that when iOS 5.1 comes out it stops or at least I can turn off the 3G data network and just use the slower EDGE network if the data counter is more accurate. I have the exact same problem on my wifes iPhone. I don't know what else to do other than wait for the problem to be fixed or just dump AT&T when my contract has expired.

I've not seen a wild divergence in my usage vs what is reported, but yours is not the only report. My only guess is that it's Apple's own iOS that is underreporting usage - the assumption here that it's AT&T that's over reporting has at least a 50/50 chance of being wrong.

Generally, people who do report issues with usage reporting are on the 200MB plans. Given I am not, and usage on all three of the devices I pay for is in the 400MB-1GB range every month, I cannot say either way if this is an issue with the 200MB plan reporting or not.

At any rate, my own reported usage on three devices for nearly 2 years now has been consistent and plausable.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 28, 2012
(0)

I've got the same issue where the discrepency between what data usage is logged by the phone and what AT&T has calculated. I haven't reset my counter but it has been recording data usage since last October, which is a pretty good sample size. My phone has recorded 7600 MB down and 550 MB for a total of 8150 MB. According to AT&T, I've used 9872 MB, which is calculated from my previous bill totals and the "estimated" amount in their iPhone app. That is a difference of over 21%. This is a significant and meaningful overcharge considering AT&T has throttled my phone at 2GB for the past two months.  20% difference is a lot -- 400MB of 2GB. That is definitely more than a rounding error. Oddly, the past two months have been the highest by far, an increase over my mean usage by more than 25%. Nothing in my phone or app usage has changed that would increase my data by any significant amount.

It's funny how this seems to only work one way, in AT&T's favor. As has been stated before, I think the phone's calculation is likely more accurate than anything that is counted by the network. I don't think anyone has come up with a reasonable explanation as to why this is happening.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 28, 2012
(0)

There was an aritcle published in early 2011 where independant testing showed that AT&T regularly over estimated data usage by 20% on average.

At no point in any of the testing did AT&T EVER under estimate usage.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Face it, given the opportunity to steal from you due to little to no oversite from any legal authority, AT&T probably will.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 29, 2012
(0)

However the method that should be used in accurately and correctly measuring data usage, what's clear is that there is a discrepancy in the reporting of data usage (and I'm not talking about a difference of a dozen MBs or so--there was another post talking about where the discrepancy was much greater than that, with the higher figures leaning towards AT&T) for which apparently no one has yet to come up with any plausible explanation other than to say that they're not having the issue--which quite frankly doesn't absolutely mean that there's no issue at all to discuss...only that whatever issue the person is reporting on hasn't happened to those folks who are self-reporting that they've not had it happen to them.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 29, 2012
(0)

AT&T and your iPhone usage counter are both estimates. I'd personally believe AT&T's usage estimate...as they are the one's connecting your iPhone to their 3G network. As long as you are not getting an overage charge...I wouldn't worry too much about it!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 1, 2012
(0)

anton697 wrote:

whatever issue the person is [self] reporting on hasn't happened to those folks who are self-reporting that they've not had it happen to them.

In nearly two years on three devices. Yep. Exactly.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 7, 2013
(0)

Well, I had to jump in and let someone else know what is happening with my son's phone. Yes, he is a teenager, but we have been on the 300 MB plan for a year.  He has monitored his data usage through his iPhone settings.  He has had once that we had to pay to "upgrade" to the next level when he got too close, but otherwise it hasn't been a problem.  This month?  His iPhone says total of 252MB used, with 5 days to go in the billing cycle. What does AT&T say?  525 MB!!!  We already paid an overage when it went over the 300 mark.  From one day to the next he supposedly used 100 MB, so we had to pay the overage.  So, that is why I am on this forum trying to figure out what is going on!  AT&T says that it must be a problem with the cell phone.  BUT, he has used his cell phone's usage to keep from going over for an entire year, and suddenly its not working.  Another odd thing, is that his usage on AT&T's website showed NO usage AT all for the first 5 days of the month, then it hit him with over 200 MB, in just 5 DAYS?  I know its possible, but not very probable, as his usage pattern hasn't changed that much.  

I use the following apps on my phone and have now had him add it to his: Data Usage, gives me a nice red button with how much I have used, so if I get close I can tell at a glance and don't have to rely on AT&T's inaccurate way of showing data usage.  Onanvo Extend, really helps you use less data.  My son already had this, but it shows cellular and internet rolled into one.  Onanvo Count lets you know what apps are eating Data, helped me figure out what was eating my data when I had problems a while back.  

AT&T I feel did the best they could with the problem, and gave us a credit for the overage charge, since we obviously have a discrepancy.  I'm still trying to figure out why.  

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 9, 2013
(0)

I have spoken at lengths to both Apple support and ATT. Apple thinks it could be the rounding of the data usage that's causing the discrepancy between the iPhone cellular data usage and ATT's usage. ATT customer service have nothing to say but that their number is accurate. My daughter's phone shows about a 7-12% discrepancy in ATT's favor. This is a serious issue and ATT and Apple should get together to clear this up. It's not difficult to track data usage. We did it when we were managing ISPs about 20 years. The software is track data usage is built into all these OSes on all the devices. I would start filing complaints with FCC and start talking to reporters about this issue. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 9, 2013
(0)

iPhone usage are not estimates. They have software that track every bit and byte that goes out of your phone. We did this 20 years ago and the technology has been around for this for all devices, from PCs. phones, routers. It's not science. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 9, 2013
(0)

tiadna wrote:

iPhone usage are not estimates. They have software that track every bit and byte that goes out of your phone. We did this 20 years ago and the technology has been around for this for all devices, from PCs. phones, routers. It's not science. 

you do realize that the numbers you are comparing will never be accurate, since the website is not real time, but delayed? It states it at the website. two to five days for normal, two to 10 days for roaming with a possiblity of 60 days. The reported data usage also includes MMS messages, although you are not charged for the data used there. It also specificly states it is a "estimate"and is not used for billing

delays.PNG

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 9, 2013
(0)

I believe it's actual but not real time. They have a breakdown of usage by day and time and how many Kb used. I tallied\ them up in Excel and they match the usage from *DATA#. As far ATT is concerned, that's what they consider your usage against your data plan. So yes, it's not realtime but it's usage that they track based on date and time. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 9, 2013
(0)

tiadna wrote:

I believe it's actual but not real time. They have a breakdown of usage by day and time and how many Kb used. I tallied\ them up in Excel and they match the usage from *DATA#. As far ATT is concerned, that's what they consider your usage against your data plan. So yes, it's not realtime but it's usage that they track based on date and time. 

You are right, it is actual but realize that the "day" may be an aggregate of data used from 2 to 5 days on in carrier, 2 to 10 days and possibly evenup to 60 in roaming. The data usage you are looking at may not even be from the same billing cycle that you are trying to compute in excel. They track date and time, but the combined proably was not used at that data and time, it is a roll up of multiple days and not just one single day, where do you think *DATA# gets the information, 98 percent chance it is the same data table as the website.

Key words from the disclaimer

"this data usage information is only an estimate"

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 17, 2013
(0)
Take a look behind the data usage. I have turned off push notifications, all apps requestion location, no automatic updating, and turned off cellular for iTunes and any other app. I've never used Facebook yet my phone has used 187Mb sending Facebook data. The same goes for several other AT&T API request via third party apps that are not installed, authorized or used on my phone. In 11 days these apps increased my data use by more than 1Gb. I don't use YouTube, Hulu, Netflix, Vimeo, Pandora, Spotify or others. Nor do I play games, poker, etc.

My concern is AT&T was awarded along with HP and IBM a $3.5 Billion contract using API request for Navy-Marines. If no one at AT&T can stop, limit, reduce, correct what's being pulled from my phone now, how are they going to secure military secrets and the safety of our servicemen?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 17, 2013
(0)

Unsatisfiedcomsumer-14 wrote:
Take a look behind the data usage. I have turned off push notifications, all apps requestion location, no automatic updating, and turned off cellular for iTunes and any other app. I've never used Facebook yet my phone has used 187Mb sending Facebook data. The same goes for several other AT&T API request via third party apps that are not installed, authorized or used on my phone. In 11 days these apps increased my data use by more than 1Gb. I don't use YouTube, Hulu, Netflix, Vimeo, Pandora, Spotify or others. Nor do I play games, poker, etc.

My concern is AT&T was awarded along with HP and IBM a $3.5 Billion contract using API request for Navy-Marines. If no one at AT&T can stop, limit, reduce, correct what's being pulled from my phone now, how are they going to secure military secrets and the safety of our servicemen?

funny, I have a Iphone 5 and has all services turned off, the only 4rd party app is for bank access

the last time the cellular data was reset was 06/08/2012

Sent - 7.1MB

Recieved - 14.1MB

If facebook is sending then it has a logon configured for it and it will automaticly poll, since facebook app is written by facebook, they would be the ones that messed it up, you can uninstall that app if you don;t use it, same with twitter

Download the data usage tracking app from Itunes created by Onavo Mobile LTD, read the terms of service and install it, let it run for 10 or 15 days, you might be surprised with what you find. You might also think about reseting the phone to default and do not do a restart. If you upgraded from a previous Iphone and just did it via a restore there could be services that where left over from the old phone. The phone in question for the data was setup as a new phone with no restore.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 17, 2013
(0)

wingrider01 wrote:

Unsatisfiedcomsumer-14 wrote:

funny, I have a Iphone 5 and has all services turned off, the only 4rd party app is for bank access

the last time the cellular data was reset was 06/08/2012

Sent - 7.1MB

Recieved - 14.1MB

If facebook is sending then it has a logon configured for it and it will automaticly poll, since facebook app is written by facebook, they would be the ones that messed it up, you can uninstall that app if you don;t use it, same with twitter

Download the data usage tracking app from Itunes created by Onavo Mobile LTD, read the terms of service and install it, let it run for 10 or 15 days, you might be surprised with what you find. You might also think about reseting the phone to default and do not do a restart. If you upgraded from a previous Iphone and just did it via a restore there could be services that where left over from the old phone. The phone in question for the data was setup as a new phone with no restore.

There was a recent report that I read (http://www.thefullsignal.com/apple/iphone/14838/facebook-killing-your-iphone-battery) that Facebook runs in the background more then you would think.  They have programed their messenger function under the VOIP protocol so they are allowed to run in the background to "listen" for incoming messages.  While most apps are truely dormant when they are in the background, the VOIP permssions can run in the background and chew up data and your battery.  

To stop this, you need to double tap the home key to get to the App tray then hold your finder on one of the apps until it "jiggles" then click on the X to truely shut down Facebook.  I would also assume shutting down the messenger function within facebook on the iPhone would have the same effect?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 24, 2013
(0)

I've been having the same problem the last few months as the original poster, which is costing me.  I've have a 200 MB plan and have had to pay an extra $15 for going over the limit in 4 of the last 5 months (the only month I didn't, I was in Europe for two weeks and bought an unlimited data plan for Europe).  My usage of my iphone has not changed one iota from before and I was consistently only ringing up 110-130 MB/ month.  (BTW, I upgraded to an iphone 4 in 2011.)

Curious and suspicious about what could be causing this incredible uptick in data usage, I began turning off all notifications, location services, etc. on my apps to eliminate any potential unintended data use.  I also began exiting all of my apps on a regular basis (double clicking the home button to reveal open apps, and then exiting them).  But I'm still having the problem of greater than expected data usage.

So, like the person who started this thread, I reset my data usage counter on my iphone and just recently compared what AT&T reports my usage to be (on its website) to my phone's data usage counter, and have found the same huge discrepency that others on this post have found.

My problem with your comment, wingrider01, that AT&T is only estimating and includes it in their disclaimer, is that it makes NO sense. Since resetting my phone, the phone's data usage counter shows 27 MB used compared to 84 MB used. That is much to great a spread to be dismissed as a matter of "estimating" or rounding up!  And this is not just a theoretical problem with no consequence.  It's costing me and probably thousands of other AT&T iphone users a bunch of money each month, all to the benefit of AT&T. 

I spoke to AT&T "customer service" yesterday for about 45 minutes and neither of the two service representatives could explain the discrepency other than to say "you must have used the data." They were also careful, I noted, not to say it was an issue with the Apple phone. That's either because they don't want to badmouth their partner, or because they know it's false and that could subject them to liability.

This is not a new problem either. As I've discovered since trying to find an answer to this problem, folks on user forum's on various sites like this one - including Apple's - have been reporting these problems for a couple of years now.  I sure would like it for AT&T and/or Apple to come forward with some fix or explanation and sympathize with all of the others who have been having the same problem. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 24, 2013
(0)

brewin4life wrote:

I've been having the same problem the last few months as the original poster, which is costing me.  I've have a 200 MB plan and have had to pay an extra $15 for going over the limit in 4 of the last 5 months (the only month I didn't, I was in Europe for two weeks and bought an unlimited data plan for Europe).  My usage of my iphone has not changed one iota from before and I was consistently only ringing up 110-130 MB/ month.  (BTW, I upgraded to an iphone 4 in 2011.)

Curious and suspicious about what could be causing this incredible uptick in data usage, I began turning off all notifications, location services, etc. on my apps to eliminate any potential unintended data use.  I also began exiting all of my apps on a regular basis (double clicking the home button to reveal open apps, and then exiting them).  But I'm still having the problem of greater than expected data usage.

So, like the person who started this thread, I reset my data usage counter on my iphone and just recently compared what AT&T reports my usage to be (on its website) to my phone's data usage counter, and have found the same huge discrepency that others on this post have found.

My problem with your comment, wingrider01, that AT&T is only estimating and includes it in their disclaimer, is that it makes NO sense. Since resetting my phone, the phone's data usage counter shows 27 MB used compared to 84 MB used. That is much to great a spread to be dismissed as a matter of "estimating" or rounding up!  And this is not just a theoretical problem with no consequence.  It's costing me and probably thousands of other AT&T iphone users a bunch of money each month, all to the benefit of AT&T. 

I spoke to AT&T "customer service" yesterday for about 45 minutes and neither of the two service representatives could explain the discrepency other than to say "you must have used the data." They were also careful, I noted, not to say it was an issue with the Apple phone. That's either because they don't want to badmouth their partner, or because they know it's false and that could subject them to liability.

This is not a new problem either. As I've discovered since trying to find an answer to this problem, folks on user forum's on various sites like this one - including Apple's - have been reporting these problems for a couple of years now.  I sure would like it for AT&T and/or Apple to come forward with some fix or explanation and sympathize with all of the others who have been having the same problem. 

When and where was that 84MB used? Was it going through att towers, where you roaming when you where using the data, was it used on the same day? that 84MB that was displayed could have been usage for 5 to 10 days ago, or if roaming up to 60 days ago that was just reported to the system. The iphone usage  is realtime, the web display is a agregation of what could be multiple days or weeks of usages that was just reported. key word here is realtime

phone = realtime accounting

website = delayed due to time required to obtain all the data statistics from all the locations

how hard is that to understand?

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 30, 2013
(0)

Wingrider - apparantly you didn't read the original post clearly enough, as you merely restated the initial claim.  The point of the initial post (and this thread) is that the phone's data counter DIFFERS from AT&T's counter...and while we all agree that the phone's counter should be the most accurate, it issue is that AT&T's is ALWAYS HIGHER, and they attempt to BILL as such.  Because of this, they are likely charging customers for MORE data than is actually used.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 31, 2013
(0)

JTK_Forever wrote:

Wingrider - apparantly you didn't read the original post clearly enough, as you merely restated the initial claim.  The point of the initial post (and this thread) is that the phone's data counter DIFFERS from AT&T's counter...and while we all agree that the phone's counter should be the most accurate, it issue is that AT&T's is ALWAYS HIGHER, and they attempt to BILL as such.  Because of this, they are likely charging customers for MORE data than is actually used.

the point is the counter on the website is NOT real time but it is a sum of multiple time periods that can be fro as long as 60 days ago if there is roaming data usage include, why is that so hard to understand? Not usre how to explain it and clearer. the difference is real time reportinf vs a total of mulitple days being reported

phone - real time suming of data

website = sum of data used over a period of time that is reported on a single line at a single time at a singles instance

you may use 10 MEG on a single sitting in network , that 10 MEG may not show on the website for up to 5 DAYS latter, it will be added to the display bucket and display along with any other usage that hits, be it for that exact day and minute or anything with-in up to 60 dyas previous. This IS documented on the display of the data on the website.