The new iPhone 15
SatireSweetie's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, January 4th, 2011 7:10 AM

iPad and AT&T WiFi

I am thinking about buying an iPad but I am trying to decide whether I want to buy the iPad + WiFi or the iPad + WiFi + 3G. I am a student and I don't really go out of town often enough to need 3G but when I do travel I travel all over the country. Also because I'm a student, if I don't have to spend the extra money on the 3G and monthly service I'd prefer not to.

So, my question is if I already have AT&T do I have free access to AT&T WiFi Hotspots with the iPad without 3G?

Master

• 

4K Messages

13 years ago

I don't think so.  Access to AT&T WiFi for a different device (a qualifying phone) doesn't extend beyond that devices, if I'm not mistaken.

Guru

• 

831 Messages

13 years ago

Im not sure either. I have the wifi version bc everywhere i go there is wifi. Even mcdonalds has wifi now!
And i think you answered your own question. If you can spend the extra cash, just get the wifi only. Its worth it. 🙂

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

13 years ago

Is it free wifi? I know that there's wifi everywhere but most places you have to sign up and pay for it. I know if you get a Nook, you can go into any Barnes and Noble and get free wifi, I'm trying to figure out if it is the same with AT&T if you have AT&T. I once received a business card that had the information to sign into AT&T wifi free of charge, which I could use with my laptop. I suppose that's the real stressor because if it isn't free wifi I may as well buy the 3G plan and I don't live close enough to any city to drive around and see if it is free wifi or not :P.

Master

• 

7.4K Messages

13 years ago

@SatireSweetie wrote:

So, my question is if I already have AT&T do I have free access to AT&T WiFi Hotspots with the iPad without 3G?

What do you mean by you already have ATT?  I haven't tried but:

--If you mean you have an ATT Wireless Smartphone Data plan that includes Free ATT WiFi Hotspot access then, no, that will not work on the WiFi only version of the iPad.  Those are for the device the data plan is attached to only.

--If you have ATT High Speed Internet service (AT&T High Speed Internet, AT&T U-verse High Speed Internet, or AT&T FastAccess® DSL), I do believe that gives you access from your iPad.  Simply use your primary AT&T high-speed Internet membership ID and password at any AT&T Wi-Fi Basic Hot Spot.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

13 years ago

Thank you! I didn't know that there would be a difference in services. I have the high speed internet now and, I think I mentioned in an earlier post, once got a card with the info I needed but that was a few years ago and I've since lost the card. I'm also getting ready to switch cell service providers and whether or not it would make a difference with the iPad is a playing role in whether or not I switch to AT&T. Thank you very much.

Scholar

• 

111 Messages

13 years ago

The 3G iPad also includes a GPS receiver. You can use it for navigation even if you don't get a data plan. You are not obligated to get a data plan either. You can buy a 3G iPad and decide later whether you want to activate the data connection. Also, you can activate that feature on a monthly baisis and can turn it on and off at will - you just have to pay for the whole month during which you activate the service. This is handy if you travel ocassionally.

I got my iPad 3G mainly for the GPS, but once I activated the data plan to try it out, I never wanted to turn it off again. As much WiFi as there is, I still find it far more convenient to just have access when I want it, rather than having to drive to McDonald's or Barnes & Noble or to some other business.

Explorer

• 

30 Messages

13 years ago

My Wife gave me a wi-fi i-pad for Christmas and I was going to return it for a 3g model but instead got a mi-fi device. The initial investment was less since I paid nothing for the mi-fi (with a 2 yr contract) and the monthly data paln is about the same as that for the 3g i-pad plus I can use it with my other laptops when I am on the road. 

Professor

• 

1.7K Messages

13 years ago

iDevices no longer require an AT&T Wi-Fi account to access the Internet in certain stores such as Starbucks. A few months ago, Starbucks opened Wi-Fi access to existing customers. You can visit Starbucks.com to find out how to establish a Wi-Fi connection.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

13 years ago

Don't waste money buying 3G Ipad (I did!) AT&T screwed us by pulling the original deal of unlimited wireless for $30. You are a lot better off with the Wifi version..BELIEVE ME.

ACE - Master

• 

10.3K Messages

13 years ago

How is that better off? With the 3G version you have data and functionality when you leave the WiFi zone. With the WiFi only version, you're done once you go out of range.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.