Posted Feb 10, 2013
an iphone5 is HOW MUCH before an upgrade?!?!

Ok everyone i'm new to the community.  First let me say that i have been with AT&T for about 4-5 years now.  The iphone3 was my first phone with them. 

A few months ago, after having upgraded from that one to the 4 and being happy with that for years, i just kind of randomly decided it was time to try a different kind of phone for my next upgrade.  so i went with the galaxy s3.  and while it's a good phone, it's just not cutting it for me considering how used to iphones i am.  so yeah, it was kind of an impulse decision and i am regretting it.

that was about...4-5 months ago?  the more and more i use it, the more unhappy i am with it and am desperately trying to find a way to switch back to the iphone BEFORE i am due for another upgrade?  but everything i've seen online is telling me it would cost me about 750 dollars?  which just seems insane.

so now i'm considering 2 options.  one is to go into the store, explain that i've been a customer for quite awhile and am unhappy with my phone and see if they can cut me a bit of a break.  and if that doesn't work, tell them i am considering ending my service if they can't help me out.  doing the math, it would be cheaper to switch providers before my contract is up and go somewhere new to get the phone i want, than to pay the insane price they are asking for a phone that isn't selling all that well in the first place.

anyone with any ideas as to what else i can do or maybe someone with some experience having been through all this before?  i know at the end of the day it's just a phone but i really just wanna switch back to what i'm most used to.

an iphone5 is HOW MUCH before an upgrade?!?!

16 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(16)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 10, 2013
(0)

dave219 wrote:

Ok everyone i'm new to the community.  First let me say that i have been with AT&T for about 4-5 years now.  The iphone3 was my first phone with them. 

A few months ago, after having upgraded from that one to the 4 and being happy with that for years, i just kind of randomly decided it was time to try a different kind of phone for my next upgrade.  so i went with the galaxy s3.  and while it's a good phone, it's just not cutting it for me considering how used to iphones i am.  so yeah, it was kind of an impulse decision and i am regretting it.

that was about...4-5 months ago?  the more and more i use it, the more unhappy i am with it and am desperately trying to find a way to switch back to the iphone BEFORE i am due for another upgrade?  but everything i've seen online is telling me it would cost me about 750 dollars?  which just seems insane.

so now i'm considering 2 options.  one is to go into the store, explain that i've been a customer for quite awhile and am unhappy with my phone and see if they can cut me a bit of a break.  and if that doesn't work, tell them i am considering ending my service if they can't help me out.  doing the math, it would be cheaper to switch providers before my contract is up and go somewhere new to get the phone i want, than to pay the insane price they are asking for a phone that isn't selling all that well in the first place.

anyone with any ideas as to what else i can do or maybe someone with some experience having been through all this before?  i know at the end of the day it's just a phone but i really just wanna switch back to what i'm most used to.

the only deal they will cut is if you are eligible for a early upgrade to a iphone - for a 16GB that is 199.00 + 250.00 or 349.00 as far as ending your service the etf is 325.00 - (10.00 * number of completed billing cycle) so figuring on the 5 months that you state is will be 325.00 - 50.00 or 275.00 + the final bill that will not be pro-rated then you will pay 199.00 for a 16GB iphone at sprint or verizon

retail price for the 16GB is 649.00

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: an iphone5 is HOW MUCH before an upgrade?!?!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 10, 2013
(0)

Hi, Here is the perfect solution for your situation,

1. You need to do an early termination with AT&T at a cost of $325.00 minus $10.00 for each month of the contract.

2.  Go to Best Buy's website Trade-In Estomator  and look for your phone,  (Trade-in value is $200.00)

3.  Purchace the Apple® - iPhone® 5 with 16GB Memory Phone - Black & Slate (AT&T)   Model: MD634LL/A  

The Price at Best Buy is $199.00 but they have a price match guarantee which means you have Best Buys

sales person call your local Walmart and get a price match and Walmarts price is $127.00 for the iPhone 5.

Note:  Walmart doesn't advertise the price on their website since the price is In store only!  

Reference site: C/Net  

4. Your Cost Summary:

Early Termination Fee:  $ (325.00)

Trade In Galaxy:            $  200.00

Price Match W-Mart        $    72.00

________

Your cost will be:           $  252.00  (Approximate)

I wish you luck and AT&T is the best company when it comes to customer service call AT&T and

I bet they will also help you with the cost.

I have nothing but good things to say about AT&T and I believe other companys should

benchmark from them.

Take Care,

Maui....... : smileyhappy:              

Webmaster / Developer 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 10, 2013
(0)

One side note worth noting.  If you decide to do the ETF route with AT&T, you will not ab able to open a new account with AT&T for a minimum time (I don't remember if it's 30, 60 or 90 days).  If you try, they will re-activate your old account, and you will not be eligible for the $199 new account pricing.  IIRC, AT&T has 3 price levels.  Full Price ($649 for 16GB iPhone 5), Early Upgrade Price ($449 for the 16GB iPhone 5) and New Contract/Full Upgrade Price ($199 for the 16GB iPHone 5).  If you are too close to teh purchase of your Galaxy S3, then you won't even qualify for the "Early Upgrade" price, and you will have to pay the full price, or move to another carrier.

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 11, 2013
(0)

mauiapple wrote:

1. You need to do an early termination with AT&T at a cost of $325.00 minus $10.00 for each month of the contract.

2.  Go to Best Buy's website Trade-In Estomator  and look for your phone,  (Trade-in value is $200.00)

3.  Purchace the Apple® - iPhone® 5 with 16GB Memory Phone - Black & Slate (AT&T)   Model: MD634LL/A  

The Price at Best Buy is $199.00 but they have a price match guarantee which means you have Best Buys

sales person call your local Walmart and get a price match and Walmarts price is $127.00 for the iPhone 5.

Note:  Walmart doesn't advertise the price on their website since the price is In store only!  

4. Your Cost Summary:

________

I wish you luck and AT&T is the best company when it comes to customer service call AT&T and

I have nothing but good things to say about AT&T and I believe other companys should

benchmark from them.

Take Care,

Webmaster / Developer 

Pretty sure that the only site they will price match a cell phone to is att - and be very carefull with wally world - they have very strict policies and hefty fees for failing to full fill their contract and they rarely quote over the phone.. An additonal point you etf there is a waiting period before you can apple to a new account

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 11, 2013
(0)
People amaze me with there stupidity. your answer is simple. Sell it on craigslist or ebay and then buy a used one. I have did it beofre and if you look hard enough you will find one that looks brand new. Yeah its not new in box but better then paying outrageous $$$ may cost you $50-75

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 11, 2013
(0)
And why would you trade in a phone for $200 that new? When you could sell it for probably $300-350.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 12, 2013
(0)

Tbednarczyk34 wrote:
And why would you trade in a phone for $200 that new? When you could sell it for probably $300-350.

1. cash in hand immediately

2. not have to worry if the check the buyer gives you is valid and cashable

3. not having to worry if the buyer is safe

4. don;t want to mess with the trouble of screening calls / emails just to be sure it is a serious offer

5. having a pruchaser that gets upset with you becasue the phone you sold them cannot be unlocked from the carrier by them (iphone particularly)

My time is worth way more to me then the 100 - 150 more that you might get by selling in on craiglist

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 12, 2013
(0)

wingrider01 wrote:

mauiapple wrote:

4. Your Cost Summary:

________

benchmark from them.

Take Care,

Webmaster / Developer 

Pretty sure that the only site they will price match a cell phone to is att - and be very carefull with wally world - they have very strict policies and hefty fees for failing to full fill their contract and they rarely quote over the phone.. An additonal point you etf there is a waiting period before you can apple to a new account

Technically, BB does not (generally) price match any (web)site other than their own site--they will price match (local) retail competitors (i.e., brick-and-mortar stores), and under certain circumstances, certain Internet retailers (e.g. Amazon); as long as all other price match criteria are met, BB will/should price match a cell phone to any (brick & mortar) retail competitor--not just to AT&T.  BB pricematched Fry's Electronics on my iPhone 5 purchase last year; yes I realize that BB will not price match against a retailer like Fry's in all cases--that would be dependent upon there being a Fry's store relatively nearby, but my point is that BB can and will price match cell phone prices against other retailers under their price match policy, not just only to AT&T...which is interesting in itself, as I do not see anything in BB's price match policy that explicitly singles out "AT&T" anywhere in said policy.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 12, 2013
(0)

jane697 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

mauiapple wrote:

4. Your Cost Summary:

________

benchmark from them.

Take Care,

Webmaster / Developer 

Technically, BB does not (generally) price match any (web)site other than their own site--they will price match (local) retail competitors (i.e., brick-and-mortar stores), and under certain circumstances, certain Internet retailers (e.g. Amazon); as long as all other price match criteria are met, BB will/should price match a cell phone to any (brick & mortar) retail competitor--not just to AT&T.  BB pricematched Fry's Electronics on my iPhone 5 purchase last year; yes I realize that BB will not price match against a retailer like Fry's in all cases--that would be dependent upon there being a Fry's store relatively nearby, but my point is that BB can and will price match cell phone prices against other retailers under their price match policy, not just only to AT&T...which is interesting in itself, as I do not see anything in BB's price match policy that explicitly singles out "AT&T" anywhere in said policy.

jane697 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

mauiapple wrote:

4. Your Cost Summary:

________

benchmark from them.

Take Care,

Webmaster / Developer 

Actually BB jsut changed their price match policy a couple of months ago, just had then price match newegg.com and Sams Club's website on a purchase made last week but they would not price match my daughters cell phone upgrade to radio snack prices

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 12, 2013
(0)

wingrider01 wrote:

Tbednarczyk34 wrote:

4. don;t want to mess with the trouble of screening calls / emails just to be sure it is a serious offer

5. having a pruchaser that gets upset with you becasue the phone you sold them cannot be unlocked from the carrier by them (iphone particularly)

My time is worth way more to me then the 100 - 150 more that you might get by selling in on craiglist

I won't argue with your reasons for preferring to trade something in rather than going the CL route, but the points you listed above can be addressed as follows:

1) Depends on how you define "immediately"--many folks looking to sell on CL don't realistically expect to and/or are not looking to get their item sold within hours of posting the ad;

2) How many CL ads for iPhone sales have you seen where the seller is more than willing to accept a check rather than cash?

3) Request that the transaction be performed in a public place where there are a lot of people and/or video cameras--e.g., a bank

4) With certain popular items that are priced attractively, it is to be expected that you'd get a lot of calls so I would think that screening for serious offers would be the least of your concerns--although in all fairness to your point here, there are the occassional flakes who never bother showing up;

5) Hence the "all sales are final" disclaimer; if a buyer can't and/or won't understand that concept, then don't sell it to him.  Also, letting the buyer know of any shortcomings and/or gotchas up front will lessen the possibility that a buyer may get upset because he thinks he may have gotten "duped".

Have you either sold and/or purchased anything on CL and/or read the suggestions given on CL regarding buying and/or selling items via CL--otherwise you'd know that the concerns you listed are not that big a deal, as long as you take the necessary precautions and use a little common sense.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 12, 2013
(0)

jane697 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

Tbednarczyk34 wrote:

I won't argue with your reasons for preferring to trade something in rather than going the CL route, but the points you listed above can be addressed as follows:

1) Depends on how you define "immediately"--many folks looking to sell on CL don't realistically expect to and/or are not looking to get their item sold within hours of posting the ad;

2) How many CL ads for iPhone sales have you seen where the seller is more than willing to accept a check rather than cash?

3) Request that the transaction be performed in a public place where there are a lot of people and/or video cameras--e.g., a bank

4) With certain popular items that are priced attractively, it is to be expected that you'd get a lot of calls so I would think that screening for serious offers would be the least of your concerns--although in all fairness to your point here, there are the occassional flakes who never bother showing up;

5) Hence the "all sales are final" disclaimer; if a buyer can't and/or won't understand that concept, then don't sell it to him.  Also, letting the buyer know of any shortcomings and/or gotchas up front will lessen the possibility that a buyer may get upset because he thinks he may have gotten "duped".

Have you either sold and/or purchased anything on CL and/or read the suggestions given on CL regarding buying and/or selling items via CL--otherwise you'd know that the concerns you listed are not that big a deal, as long as you take the necessary precautions and use a little common sense.

1. within minutes of the transaction being completed
2. more then you think will accept check - not the brightest bulbs in the bunch

3. Sorry but unless you have a warrent or a court order no public place will turn over the video footage - called privacy laws, for that it has to be a felony which as of 2009 A class D  a minimum of $500, A class C felony now requires $10,000. That varies, for example in Colorado anything under 1,000 is considered a misdemeanor

4. Or the device maybe stolen - you have no proof that the device actually belongs to the sellor - having stolen mechandize in your possesion is a crime also

5. No not all sales are final - maybe in the craiglist world bit fleabay and the other sites like it there is the ability to go back to the site and open a complaint against the sellor

Bought through CL once for some parts for a Norton 850 commander that I was restoring, the Ad promised they where authentic - they where not, got my revenge through the proper legal channels and a local LEO

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 12, 2013
(0)

wingrider01 wrote:

jane697 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

mauiapple wrote:

4. Your Cost Summary:

________

benchmark from them.

Take Care,

Webmaster / Developer 

jane697 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

mauiapple wrote:

4. Your Cost Summary:

________

benchmark from them.

Take Care,

Webmaster / Developer 

Actually BB jsut changed their price match policy a couple of months ago, just had then price match newegg.com and Sams Club's website on a purchase made last week but they would not price match my daughters cell phone upgrade to radio snack prices

Hmmm, the only reasons I can think as to why BB would not price match Radio Shack:

1) Exact model not in stock at the RS store;

2) RS price included some other stipulation not covered under BB price match policy;

3) BB employee was not completely familiar with his employer's own price match policy;

4) BB employee was being "selective" in interpreting/enforcing the policy--or alternately, you got unlucky and got stuck with an employee who wasn't willing to bend the rules a little bit

BB can rightfully deny a price match under point #1, but that would mean that they would have to actually call the store first--if you're willing to be persistent--if not insistent--on getting BB to price match under such circumstances, you could rightfully request that they call every local RS store to see if any of those stores have them in stock.  Now they could simply just tell you to get lost, but that wouldn't be good customer service on their part--especially since you are exercising your rights as a consumer by merely pointing out to them their own price match policy.

Re: #4--I've seen BB employees price match solely based on showing them the ad via cell phone browser; in fact, that's how I was able to get them to price match against Fry's Electronics--I showed them the ad on my iPhone, then BB price matched without blinking an eye.  Yes this is definitely YMMV, but it bolsters the point I made in #4.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 12, 2013
(0)

wingrider--

2) I thought you were speaking from the point of a seller--you wouldn't accept a check from a private-party person if you were looking to sell your iPhone, especially if the buyer was a complete stranger...would you?

3) Perhaps, but to use a phrase you used a moment ago...many unscrupulous CL buyers aren't necessarily the "brightest bulbs in the bunch"; plus, even if you can't pull video camera footage for the reasons you stated...I'm pretty sure that there will be more than one person who happened to observe any shenanigans who would be willing to offer him/herself as a material witness if requested.

4) If you're the seller, why would that (item may be stolen) be an issue?  I thought you were offering your reasons for why you would not want to go the CL route when selling an iPhone?

5) I thought we were talking about CL, given your original reply...besides, a person with any common sense would know that when it comes to CL, it is definitely caveat emptor.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 12, 2013
(0)

jane697 wrote:

wingrider--

2) I thought you were speaking from the point of a seller--you wouldn't accept a check from a private-party person if you were looking to sell your iPhone, especially if the buyer was a complete stranger...would you?

3) Perhaps, but to use a phrase you used a moment ago...many unscrupulous CL buyers aren't necessarily the "brightest bulbs in the bunch"; plus, even if you can't pull video camera footage for the reasons you stated...I'm pretty sure that there will be more than one person who happened to observe any shenanigans who would be willing to offer him/herself as a material witness if requested.

4) If you're the seller, why would that (item may be stolen) be an issue?  I thought you were offering your reasons for why you would not want to go the CL route when selling an iPhone?

5) I thought we were talking about CL, given your original reply...besides, a person with any common sense would know that when it comes to CL, it is definitely caveat emptor.

don;t sell any phones, if I or the company does not need them they are donated to an abused women organization, the uso for use by the servicemen and other chartible organizations that can put them to better use, and I lke the tax deductions at the end of the year

other then that, I am done with this train of thought and I have a flight to catch that is starting to board. have a good day.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 22, 2014
(0)

Approximately three weeks ago we purchased the iphone 5C.  The ATT salesman at the Christiana Store, Delaware attempted to swap the information from the ATT iphone 4S but wasn't able to due to time restraints.  He advised us at the time that once we transferred the data from the old phone onto the new phone to "bring it back and we'll give you about $100 for it".  He knew what kind of condition it was in because he was attempting to transfer the data but for some reason couldn't.  My daughter took the new 5C and transfered the data, music, pictures, etc.  Today we went back to the same ATT store at the Christiana Mall and was told that the prices "change daily".  "I don't know what you were told, but we'll give you $36.00 for it!!!!!!!!!"  A $64.00 difference!!!!!!!!!   "The button is broke."  "Yes, he knew that. He was handling it."  "Well, we can give you $36.00 and that's all."

What a crock of crap!!!!   Customers want a business that is consistent.  A company that honors what other sales representatives tell the customers.  I knew it was bad when an undisclosed ATT representative actually told me NOT to purchase the insurance through ATT but rather to purchase APPLECARE.  Someone like him would probably get fired for his statement, but it was someone like him that made us go back to ATT.  I have my doubts again as to whether I made the right decision.  You guys aren't the only carriers out there. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 24, 2014
(0)

BillMadara wrote:

Approximately three weeks ago we purchased the iphone 5C.  The ATT salesman at the Christiana Store, Delaware attempted to swap the information from the ATT iphone 4S but wasn't able to due to time restraints.  He advised us at the time that once we transferred the data from the old phone onto the new phone to "bring it back and we'll give you about $100 for it".  He knew what kind of condition it was in because he was attempting to transfer the data but for some reason couldn't.  My daughter took the new 5C and transfered the data, music, pictures, etc.  Today we went back to the same ATT store at the Christiana Mall and was told that the prices "change daily".  "I don't know what you were told, but we'll give you $36.00 for it!!!!!!!!!"  A $64.00 difference!!!!!!!!!   "The button is broke."  "Yes, he knew that. He was handling it."  "Well, we can give you $36.00 and that's all."

What a crock of crap!!!!   Customers want a business that is consistent.  A company that honors what other sales representatives tell the customers.  I knew it was bad when an undisclosed ATT representative actually told me NOT to purchase the insurance through ATT but rather to purchase APPLECARE.  Someone like him would probably get fired for his statement, but it was someone like him that made us go back to ATT.  I have my doubts again as to whether I made the right decision.  You guys aren't the only carriers out there. 

I realize this thread got bumped after over a year, but in any case, to respond to the above poster's comments--

1) Did you go to a ATT corporate store or to one of those authorized reseller stores?  Sure people will say that doesn't make a difference since even if not a corp ATT person, the reseller rep is still representing ATT's policies...but resellers may not always be well-versed when it comes to ATT's policies.

2) Nothing absolutely wrong with the person suggesting that you go with AppleCare vs. ATT's own coverage--they are technically not the same...think of ATT's plan as like insurance, whereas AppleCare is more like an extended warranty.  Insurance and (extended) warranty are not the same thing--ATT's plan is not an extended warranty IIRC so again, nothing morally or ethically wrong with the person suggesting you to purchase AppleCare.