Posted Sep 6, 2013
6:34:25 AM
Where is this supposed FaceTime Rollout for Non-WiFi users?

Hey AT&T, 

I see some cities have gotten the ability to use FaceTime on cellular yet very few.  When is this thing rolling out fully?  I have called and spoken to multiple CSR's that have no knowledge as to when or as two said "IF" it will fully be implemented.  How about posting a list of cities as it's rolled out.  We have heard for too long that you will make this happen.  Just do it already as it does not take a year to implement.  Who on here with the OLD Grandfathered Unlimited Plans using the Iphone 4-4S has FaceTime working on cellular without being charged by AT&T to do so?  

Where is this supposed FaceTime Rollout for Non-WiFi users?

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 6, 2013 8:03:35 AM
(0)
Employee

dubs29 wrote:

Hey AT&T, 

I see some cities have gotten the ability to use FaceTime on cellular yet very few.  When is this thing rolling out fully?  I have called and spoken to multiple CSR's that have no knowledge as to when or as two said "IF" it will fully be implemented.  How about posting a list of cities as it's rolled out.  We have heard for too long that you will make this happen.  Just do it already as it does not take a year to implement.  Who on here with the OLD Grandfathered Unlimited Plans using the Iphone 4-4S has FaceTime working on cellular without being charged by AT&T to do so?  

I'm pretty sure Facetime over cellular is only on the LTE network and I don't believe there are any plans to extend that to the HSPA network. If so, then iphone 4/4s users will never get it.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Where is this supposed FaceTime Rollout for Non-WiFi users?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 6, 2013 8:14:36 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

dubs29 wrote:

Hey AT&T, 

Appears that it was enabled for a short period of time, then removed, can;t find any press release that it is avaialbe for the discontinued plans

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 6, 2013 9:09:44 AM
(0)
Employee

sandblaster wrote:

dubs29 wrote:

Hey AT&T, 

I'm pretty sure Facetime over cellular is only on the LTE network and I don't believe there are any plans to extend that to the HSPA network. If so, then iphone 4/4s users will never get it.

Correction, AT&T did put out a statement in May saying they would extend Facetime over cellular to all users "regardless of data plan or device" by the end of the year. http://www.macrumors.com/2013/05/20/att-to-expand-facetime-over-cellular-to-all-customers-by-year-en...

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 6, 2013 9:54:42 AM
(0)
Voyager

So far, activations of the service has been verified in parts of New York, Maryland, Georgia, Louisiana, California and Hawaii.  I am just wondering when the rest of the U.S. will see this happen.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 6, 2013 10:51:58 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

dubs29 wrote:

So far, activations of the service has been verified in parts of New York, Maryland, Georgia, Louisiana, California and Hawaii.  I am just wondering when the rest of the U.S. will see this happen.

"AT&T plans to allow its unlimited customers with LTE devices access to FaceTime over cellular beginning in June, with full access to all customers becoming available by the end of the year."

the 4s is not an lte device or did you miss that qualification in your link?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 6, 2013 11:09:29 AM
(0)
Voyager

[ Edited ]

dubs29 wrote:

So far, activations of the service has been verified in parts of New York, Maryland, Georgia, Louisiana, California and Hawaii. I am just wondering when the rest of the U.S. will see this happen.

"AT&T plans to allow its unlimited customers with LTE devices access to FaceTime over cellular beginning in June, with full access to all customers becoming available by the end of the year."

Actually Wingrider01,

I didn't miss the qualification because your incorrect in your statement about LTE only and need to look up the latest facts,

The facts are as Sandblaster pointed out above and you said in your last section of your comment.  "ALL" customers "including" those without LTE (4s) are to have access.  What I am asking is after seeing some cities turned on back in June to include those users without LTE  do now have access.  They also stated at least by the end of the year all will. Though many have had it turned on already, I'm asking so what is the holdup?  Again this update is not restricted to LTE only phone users in the cities I listed! 

So Again, has anyone else posting on this board other than people from the cities I listed have access yet? 

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 6, 2013 1:34:02 PM
(0)
ACE - Scholar

dubs29 wrote:

By the end of the year...isn't that what was stated in the article sandblaster alluded to?

Here is the part where it is mentioned:

"Throughout the second half of this year, we plan to enable pre-loaded video chat apps over cellular for all our customers, regardless of data plan or device; that work is expected to be complete by year end."

AT&T provided a timetable, and AFAIK they have not done and/or said anything so far that would indicate that they would not be able to meet it.  Asking anyone here who's not an AT&T employee as to when Facetime over cellular is gonna show up for all AT&T iPhone users isn't going to get you an answer much different from what I just said above, so quite frankly your best bet is to simply wait patiently...and if after the end of the year it doesn't show up on your phone, then you can raise an issue about it.  AT&T doesn't owe any of us an explanation as to why it hasn't already rolled out to ALL AT&T iPhone users by now, given their statement about it being available by the end of the year.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 6, 2013 2:16:42 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

dubs29 wrote:

[ Edited ]

dubs29 wrote:

So far, activations of the service has been verified in parts of New York, Maryland, Georgia, Louisiana, California and Hawaii. I am just wondering when the rest of the U.S. will see this happen.

Actually Wingrider01,

I didn't miss the qualification because your incorrect in your statement about LTE only and need to look up the latest facts,

The facts are as Sandblaster pointed out above and you said in your last section of your comment.  "ALL" customers "including" those without LTE (4s) are to have access.  What I am asking is after seeing some cities turned on back in June to include those users without LTE  do now have access.  They also stated at least by the end of the year all will. Though many have had it turned on already, I'm asking so what is the holdup?  Again this update is not restricted to LTE only phone users in the cities I listed! 

So Again, has anyone else posting on this board other than people from the cities I listed have access yet? 

well wait 5 more months and see if you have it, if you don;t have it by 01/31/2014 you probably won;t get it.

And as far as ALL devices having it, they don;t have it now so obviously the carrier decided not to allow it, well within their rights as the owners of the infrastructure. Can tell you that of the states that I travel with the corporate 4S which is aout 70 percent of them have never seen facetime on the 4S be available over the cellular netwwork and the account does have the discontinued plan attached to it

By the way, the blurb quoted is from another users post in this exact thread, the date of the article on May 20 2013 which is farily recent in the corporate world

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/05/20/att-to-expand-facetime-over-cellular-to-all-customers-by-year-en...

now can you supply a link to one that states differently posted after the date of this link? That was NOT my statement it was reported in the article. Time to ditch the discontinued plan if you want facetime.

[ Edited ]