The new iPhone 15
1liz1's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Monday, August 27th, 2012 6:49 PM

Want an iphone to use on At&t without data plan

I am currently with At&t & not under contract and would like to purchase an iphone from ebay and use it on my At&t network without paying for a data plan. What should the iphone listing say to make sure it's compatible and how do I make sure I'm not paying for a data plan? I want to use the phone purely to text and call and do not care for other features such as internet. Thanks

Scholar

• 

397 Messages

11 years ago

@wingrider01 wrote:

@MagnusDredd wrote:

ETF:

I just realized what it was you were talking about...

You're talking about Early Termination Fees.  Using the acronym ETF instead of saying "termination fees" or "penalties", or "fees to get our of your contract" makes you REALLY sound like a paid PR person.  I'd guess that most people aren't so familiar with cellular industry jargon.  I briefly worked at WorldCom Wireless, but it's been years and it took me a bit to figure out what you were saying...

I'm at or close to the end of my contract on all four phones on my contract.  For $70/month I can cover termination fees prettty quickly  (perhaps 3 months at worst).  The rep suggested that he might be able to provide credit to cover at least some of it.  (I'll believe that when I see it).

Phone Unlocks:
One of the four phones on my plan is already unlocked.  The whole point of this is that I'll be buying two used smart phones.  That they're unlocked should be understood, although I could also buy a couple of T-mobile Android phones instead.  Whatever...  Either way, this is only an issue for a single phone.

I suppose it's good to be aware that I should expect poor behavior from AT&T in this regard as well.  I'll be sure to make sure that I have a back-up plan for the fourth phone.

have had a number of lucrative goverment contracts for my company, I truely love TLA's besides the use of TLA's are a lot more socially acceptable then the poor shorthand people insist on using then they text - have a personal rule for anyone that texts me - use the king's english and no shortcuts or you will not get a response. I don;t  do PR, I hire people to do that for my company.

Seriously--people are actually bothered by the use of "poor shorthand", use of shortcuts, and/or the lack of use of the "King's English" in text messages?  I mean, here you are commenting on the "poor shorthand" people use when composing text messages, yet you apparently find it socially acceptable to compose posts that contain various spelling, grammar, and/or punctuation errors?  Aren't you essentially the pot calling the kettle black with your post (above)?  Or are you saying that, as long as you use the "King's English" and don't use shortcuts, spelling/grammar/punctuation errors in text are excusable?

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@jane697 wrote:

@wingrider01 wrote:

@MagnusDredd wrote:

ETF:

I just realized what it was you were talking about...

You're talking about Early Termination Fees.  Using the acronym ETF instead of saying "termination fees" or "penalties", or "fees to get our of your contract" makes you REALLY sound like a paid PR person.  I'd guess that most people aren't so familiar with cellular industry jargon.  I briefly worked at WorldCom Wireless, but it's been years and it took me a bit to figure out what you were saying...

I'm at or close to the end of my contract on all four phones on my contract.  For $70/month I can cover termination fees prettty quickly  (perhaps 3 months at worst).  The rep suggested that he might be able to provide credit to cover at least some of it.  (I'll believe that when I see it).

Phone Unlocks:
One of the four phones on my plan is already unlocked.  The whole point of this is that I'll be buying two used smart phones.  That they're unlocked should be understood, although I could also buy a couple of T-mobile Android phones instead.  Whatever...  Either way, this is only an issue for a single phone.

I suppose it's good to be aware that I should expect poor behavior from AT&T in this regard as well.  I'll be sure to make sure that I have a back-up plan for the fourth phone.

have had a number of lucrative goverment contracts for my company, I truely love TLA's besides the use of TLA's are a lot more socially acceptable then the poor shorthand people insist on using then they text - have a personal rule for anyone that texts me - use the king's english and no shortcuts or you will not get a response. I don;t  do PR, I hire people to do that for my company.

Seriously--people are actually bothered by the use of "poor shorthand", use of shortcuts, and/or the lack of use of the "King's English" in text messages?  I mean, here you are commenting on the "poor shorthand" people use when composing text messages, yet you apparently find it socially acceptable to compose posts that contain various spelling, grammar, and/or punctuation errors?  Aren't you essentially the pot calling the kettle black with your post (above)?  Or are you saying that, as long as you use the "King's English" and don't use shortcuts, spelling/grammar/punctuation errors in text are excusable?

about as logical as people being bothered by TLA's. as far as gramer and spelling, if it was official communications for my company I have a executive secretary to vet my corespondence before it is signed and sent out - I tend to be blunt when responding to items that push my buttons. You may not care about the "short hand", I don;t like it, once again personal preference

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

11 years ago

PrePaid is your only choice. You can choose AT&T GoPhone, Straight Talk, Cricket Wireless, and a few others that rent the AT&T network. However, your data service will not work unless you have Go Phone, and you can choose that plan.. So, you should good.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

She's not being cheap she's being smart with her money. Plus she paid her dues for 2 yrs. and is now no longer under contract.

{keep it courteous}

Professor

• 

1.7K Messages

11 years ago

@wingrider01 wrote:
 have a personal rule for anyone that texts me - use the king's english and no shortcuts or you will not get a response.
That's very customer-friendly.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@cousintim wrote:

@wingrider01 wrote:
 have a personal rule for anyone that texts me - use the king's english and no shortcuts or you will not get a response.
That's very customer-friendly.

I nor any of my employees accept text's from customers regarding business, it is email, USPS mail or recorded voice conversations to keep a validated chain of events in case there are contract or performance disagreements. That comment was on personal texts, and I hold to it.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

11 years ago

It amazes me at how many people in this world are quick to play "puppet" to corporate companies who have nothing in their interest but money. They would throw their best employees under a bus if there was money in it for them. All people need to stick together to keep corporate interest separate from people's interest. The way technology is today, it is considered "common" for people to go fully mobile with their computer needs (iPhone). The calling feature on the Smartphones is just that.....a feature. At&t's job is to provide that feature. Any Internet access has always been separate because it doesn't apply to everyone. There are people out there still using flip phones that would like to get a Smartphone without having a data plan because they don't need one. They can play games, run program, hear music, etc etc without any need for accessing Internet. Yet, they can do that with Wifi if need be. I could care less what the long list of reasons might be for justifying AT&T's shady "policy" regarding data plans. When I was in college, we spent a whole semester studying their company and how they have been in heaps of trouble since their company began over 100 years ago. I always say, where there is love for lots of money, there is evil. And evil doesn't care if you live or die. It is utterly foolish and "dumb" for people to condone policies that are nothing more than an arrogant slap in the face to the people. It only takes one person to reach out to another, and then another until there are "enough" people to expose this AT&T problem and cause it to change. The FCC and others have stepped on the company for many decades based on the anger of consumers against AT&T and other companies. This can easily happen again. But you people need to stop being lazy, soft, and coward. This could all be changed in a year and there wouldn't be a need for 1000s of people to look for ways to change the IMEI. Companies like AT&T are the reason why we have hackers in the world..and its a good thing.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@cooljoebay wrote:

It amazes me at how many people in this world are quick to play "puppet" to corporate companies who have nothing in their interest but money. They would throw their best employees under a bus if there was money in it for them. All people need to stick together to keep corporate interest separate from people's interest. The way technology is today, it is considered "common" for people to go fully mobile with their computer needs (iPhone). The calling feature on the Smartphones is just that.....a feature. At&t's job is to provide that feature. Any Internet access has always been separate because it doesn't apply to everyone. There are people out there still using flip phones that would like to get a Smartphone without having a data plan because they don't need one. They can play games, run program, hear music, etc etc without any need for accessing Internet. Yet, they can do that with Wifi if need be. I could care less what the long list of reasons might be for justifying AT&T's shady "policy" regarding data plans. When I was in college, we spent a whole semester studying their company and how they have been in heaps of trouble since their company began over 100 years ago. I always say, where there is love for lots of money, there is evil. And evil doesn't care if you live or die. It is utterly foolish and "dumb" for people to condone policies that are nothing more than an arrogant slap in the face to the people. It only takes one person to reach out to another, and then another until there are "enough" people to expose this AT&T problem and cause it to change. The FCC and others have stepped on the company for many decades based on the anger of consumers against AT&T and other companies. This can easily happen again. But you people need to stop being lazy, soft, and coward. This could all be changed in a year and there wouldn't be a need for 1000s of people to look for ways to change the IMEI. Companies like AT&T are the reason why we have hackers in the world..and its a good thing.

first paragraphs are your friend, pretty hard to follow a line of though in a wall of text.

requiring a data plan for a smartphone is not something that the FCC is concerned with, that is business practices and not on violation of any of the FCC's regulations. as far as the comment on hackers - they are why we have organizations that are dedicated to security enforcement like the NSA and homeland security to track them down and prosecute - and this is a better thing. By the way changing or cloning a imei number is something the federal agencies would be interesting in and tend to follow up on

Dont want a data plan, don;t get a smartphone, simple, easy and logical

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

11 years ago

"Dont want a data plan, don;t get a smartphone, simple, easy and logical"

Let say 1% of the population has 12 kids, all have Iphones and the parents financial situations changes, Now they can only afford to have text and voice, are they forced to buy new phones just to get basic communication needs?

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

11 years ago

Not just freedom of choice, but also trying to not to have more and more junk.

Less electronics manufactured meaning less toxic to the environment. (New charger/AC/dc,.... LCD's .. LI batteries and PCB's
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.