The new iPhone 15
jack58's profile

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

Monday, September 20th, 2010 7:27 PM

Text mail alert Apps? Such as screen coming on or blinking light?

The new iPhone 4 has driven down the prices of the 3G's so I got one. If I like it, I'll get a iPhone 4. 

I'm legally deaf and can't hear phones, so I use these phones as PDA's, internet, texting and email.
When I had my Blackberry & Blackjack, there were apps or programs you could buy that would turn the screen on when you get a text mail. It would either have a blinking light or the screen would come on and stay on for a certain amount of time at intervals until you open it.

Do they have anything like that for this phone? 

I use the vibration when it's in my pocket, but I need something for when it's laying on the desk since I can't hear it. 

Accepted Solution

Professor

• 

1.7K Messages

14 years ago

Unfortunately at the moment, there does not seem to be many apps on the store related to making the text messages vibrate for a longer period of time or keep the screen active to alert to a text message. Nor making the screen flash on and off constantly.

I have tried to search within several keywords on SMS/Text hearing impaired and most do not have an app related to assisting. Most of the apps do not correlate to hearing impaired as the iPhone is mostly audio usage.

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

14 years ago

The iPhone has no lights to blink at the user.

It can be configured to display a preview of the text message on the screen, but there is no way to configure how long this stays on the screen.

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

14 years ago

@satchev wrote:

The iPhone has no lights to blink at the user.

It can be configured to display a preview of the text message on the screen, but there is no way to configure how long this stays on the screen.

That was not what I asked. I know it comes on at first, then after that, nothing and I then would miss important messages if I didn't catch it the first time.

I'm after a program or app that would either have a blinking light or the screen, back-light, screensaver or message would come on and stay on for a certain amount of time at intervals until you open it.  To give you an idea, this is the app I was talking about, it had the feature to turn on the backlight and/or the led light too.
http://www.qorefunctions.com/

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

14 years ago

Have you tried searching the app store or googling for a solution?

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

14 years ago

Been searching... not finding any yet.

Professor

• 

3.4K Messages

14 years ago

@jack58 wrote:

The new iPhone 4 has driven down the prices of the 3G's so I got one. If I like it, I'll get a iPhone 4. 

I'm legally deaf and can't hear phones, so I use these phones as PDA's, internet, texting and email.
When I had my Blackberry & Blackjack, there were apps or programs you could buy that would turn the screen on when you get a text mail. It would either have a blinking light or the screen would come on and stay on for a certain amount of time at intervals until you open it.

Do they have anything like that for this phone? 

I use the vibration when it's in my pocket, but I need something for when it's laying on the desk since I can't hear it. 

No app as of right now!  i know you get the text alert display on the screen. but nothing to flash the screen or back lite. so maybe one day they will make a app like this.  i know some times i like my iphone on silent,i would like a app like this also to flash the screen or light it up to alert me to incoming Email or text MSG!

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

14 years ago

Looks like I'll have to sell this phone and keep using my Blackjack II that has this feature. 😞

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

14 years ago

@josephz2va wrote:

Unfortunately at the moment, there does not seem to be many apps on the store related to making the text messages vibrate for a longer period of time or keep the screen active to alert to a text message. Nor making the screen flash on and off constantly.

I have tried to search within several keywords on SMS/Text hearing impaired and most do not have an app related to assisting. Most of the apps do not correlate to hearing impaired as the iPhone is mostly audio usage.

That is sad for a phone that is so highly rated. Thanks for searching for me. I searched high and low before I posted the first time. I was hoping I missed it somewhere.

Time to sell the iPhone and go back to using the Blackjack II. I might get the new Blackberry that has the support I need as my Blackjack II is two years old now.

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

14 years ago

The other thing I notice too is I have it on vibrate when in my pocket. The vibrations is so weak, (I have it on the highest setting) I won't feel it at times.

AND it only vibrates once. I can't find where to make vibrate more than one like the BB, BJ & Impression.

This phone is NOT for a Deaf person for sure.

Anybody want to buy my phone? I'm going to try the BB Torch.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.