The new iPhone 15
bbshotgun's profile

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, October 25th, 2011 12:18 AM

Stolen iPhone

I had an iPhone stolen and I reported it to AT&T, I am assuming this means the SIM has been disabled. If someone finds it, will they be able to put in a new SIM, if they have AT&T and will I be notified or will they be stopped from activating? I'm not sure if AT&T can do anything about preventing future use of my phone. I don't mind, as long as it isn't on my line.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

12 years ago

@Kerry78 wrote:

Here in the UK networks have the IMEI Numbers so are able to block phones when stolen etc

would of assumed networks in the US were the same

only in your same country, the phone can be transported to the next country over and be used, not to mention the ramaprt cloning that is available. Dones;t work well over in europe either

ACE - Master

• 

10.3K Messages

12 years ago

@Kerry78 wrote:

Here in the UK networks have the IMEI Numbers so are able to block phones when stolen etc

would of assumed networks in the US were the same

It's not.  Some European countries have laws requiring phones to be unlocked.  The US does not, and unless there is a law or some other compelling reason to force the companies to unlock the phones, they won't.

Scholar

• 

390 Messages

12 years ago

once a phone is reported lost stolen it becomes barred on all networks
overhere if that case they sell them on ebay cos they will work in the US I keep seeing alot of this on eBay

ive never lost my phone or had it stolen though touchwood!

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

12 years ago

@Kerry78 wrote:
once a phone is reported lost stolen it becomes barred on all networks
overhere if that case they sell them on ebay cos they will work in the US I keep seeing alot of this on eBay

ive never lost my phone or had it stolen though touchwood!

not sure where you are getting your information, but you might just want to review the sources. They are incorrect.

Scholar

• 

390 Messages

12 years ago

there tptally correct have you never been on flebay seen a Blocked phone in the UK sold as barred here and will ship abroad?

maybe the US is different for barring mobiles then?
meaning the IMEI isnt blocked? they sure are here Mate!

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

12 years ago

The only IMEIs that are blocked are not GSM, they are CDMA. AT&T has never blacklisted an IMEI, thus the reason for so many stolen smartphones.
Verizon will blacklist an IMEI. not AT&T.

Scholar

• 

390 Messages

12 years ago

lol I would hope ATT would deliver that eventually then
especially in todays climate!

I think it helps alot but the phone can just be sold onto another country
and it will work there which suxx really

but it gives the owner the happyiness who'ever
took it then it wont work afterward lol

ACE - Master

• 

10.3K Messages

12 years ago

People have been complaining about AT&T not blacklisting IMEIs for years, especially after the first iPhone was released over 4 years ago and they became hot targets for theft. Today's climate isn't much different than it has been in the past few years, so it seems unlikely that there is a sudden change coming. Unless the federal government passes a law requiring cell phone companies to blacklist IMEIs (like in many foreign countries), it seems a unlike that AT&T will suddenly see the light and do it on their own.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

12 years ago

@dwill05 wrote:
People have been complaining about AT&T not blacklisting IMEIs for years, especially after the first iPhone was released over 4 years ago and they became hot targets for theft. Today's climate isn't much different than it has been in the past few years, so it seems unlikely that there is a sudden change coming. Unless the federal government passes a law requiring cell phone companies to blacklist IMEIs (like in many foreign countries), it seems a unlike that AT&T will suddenly see the light and do it on their own.

Blacklisting in Europe does nothing, it only prevents the phone from being used in the country it was black listed in, the phone can be shipped or sold out of country and activated with no problem

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

7 years ago

Well I signed a contract with att got five phones left them in a car the next day gone! My phones better be on blacklist... Att sold me insurance that was junk they were buy one get one free! Nope I have to pay for them all! And att won't do anything thing for me... I am very. Unsatisfied with AT&T they suck... Checking on sprint soon!!! : )
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.