Posted Feb 21, 2012
8:40:25 AM
Speaker Question

i have a 4s and correct me if im wrong the right speaker for the iphone is for stereo the one on the left is for mic?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Feb 21, 2012 1:52:09 PM
(0)
Professor

The mic is on the left, speaker is on the right.

Accepted Solution

Speaker Question

13 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(13)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 21, 2012 9:27:51 AM
(0)
Master
I do not recall which one is which but one is the speaker (mono) and the other is the mic.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

Re: Speaker Question

2 of 14 (702 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 21, 2012 9:39:20 AM
(0)
Guru
Thanks for the info just clarifying :smileyhappy:

3 of 14 (695 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Feb 21, 2012 1:52:09 PM
(0)
Professor

The mic is on the left, speaker is on the right.

4 of 14 (674 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 24, 2012 8:36:46 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Wait a second... So both speakers on the bottom of the phone are not two speakers producing the same sound? One is a speaker and the other is a microphone?

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 14 (614 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2012 4:24:02 AM
(0)
Professor

Wild Banchi wrote:
Wait a second... So both speakers on the bottom of the phone are not two speakers producing the same sound? One is a speaker and the other is a microphone?

That's correct.  There is only 1 speaker and the other is an identical looking microphone.  It's been that way ever since the first iPhone.

6 of 14 (607 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2012 8:51:35 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
No wonder why it's so quiet... I thought I might have had a blown speaker.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

7 of 14 (592 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2012 6:24:01 AM
(0)
Professor

i was thinking it had two speakers ohwell.....

8 of 14 (565 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2012 11:30:30 AM
(0)
Scholar

You guys were just joking around, right...or were you really serious in believing that those were actually two speakers on the bottom of the iPhone?  Guess this goes to show that there are still people out there who apparently can't be bothered with reading the manual (print or electronic)...and I thought it was a good thing for Apple to choose not to include a printed owner's manual with every iPhone--oh well.

Here you go (page 9 in the PDF):

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/iphone_user_guide.pdf

Note that the picture depicts an iPhone 4/4S--in previous-gen iPhones the speaker and microphone locations are reversed but in any case the pictures clearly indicate that there is but one speaker on the bottom of the iPhone.

9 of 14 (548 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2012 11:40:00 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Yes, indeed I was serious into believing that there were two speakers located on the bottom of my 3GS. They sure as heck look alike, and it only makes sense that Apple would include an extra speaker on the iPhone as opposed to only one on an iPod touch. I don't see a problem with believing there were two speakers; I'm sure that there are still people that believe there are two speakers as opposed to one.

10 of 14 (546 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2012 9:16:56 AM
(0)
Scholar

Wild Banchi wrote:
Yes, indeed I was serious into believing that there were two speakers located on the bottom of my 3GS. They sure as heck look alike, and it only makes sense that Apple would include an extra speaker on the iPhone as opposed to only one on an iPod touch. I don't see a problem with believing there were two speakers; I'm sure that there are still people that believe there are two speakers as opposed to one.

Hey, I can see how some folks may look at the bottom and mistakenly assume that they are two speakers...but when they think about it--if those two small openings were/are speakers, then where the heck did they think the microphone was located?  Did they think that the Home button or perhaps one of the "two" speakers actually doubled as a microphone?  But in any case, my other question still stands--what's their excuse for not reading the manual?

Why would it make sense for Apple to include two speakers on the iPhone but only one on the iPod Touch?  I can't think of any reason for Apple to do so that would not also then imply that Apple's current hardware setup may be inadequate and/or inefficient...and we all know how much the iPhone fanboys will defend any negative criticism about the iPhone if that were the case.

11 of 14 (481 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2012 2:42:38 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
To me, it makes more sense to include an extra speaker on the iPhone to have the customer "step up" - so to speak - to a higher-end device that is pretty much the same thing, but just has phone and data capabilities. And that means more money in Apple's pockets from the sales or more iPhones, because they cost more than iPod touches, anyway.

Not sure about reading the manual. I bought my iPhone used without a manual, but I guess I could have taken a look at the one that's built into the Safari application...

12 of 14 (467 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2012 4:51:10 PM
(0)
Scholar

Wild Banchi wrote:
To me, it makes more sense to include an extra speaker on the iPhone to have the customer "step up" - so to speak - to a higher-end device that is pretty much the same thing, but just has phone and data capabilities. And that means more money in Apple's pockets from the sales or more iPhones, because they cost more than iPod touches, anyway.

Point taken, but...doesn't the fact that the iPhone includes a GPS radio while the iPod Touch doesn't include one be enough of an incentive for a customer to "step up"?  I mean, if it came down to choosing between an extra speaker (i.e., two speakers instead of one) or GPS capability on an iPhone--I'm willing to bet that the majority of folks would vote for GPS.  Besides, I'm not sure what practical good/use an extra tiny speaker is gonna do for an iPhone--again, unless you're implying that the sound quality coming out of the existing speaker on the iPhone is woefully inadequate--in which case, if the quality of sound coming out of that one speaker is indeed lousy...adding another one will only make it sound twice as lousy. :smileywink:

13 of 14 (459 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2012 6:38:53 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
I don't know. The point is, I thought that iPhones had two speakers, and I was wrong. There is only one speaker on the iPhone, just like an iPod Touch. I learned something new, and will no longer believe that an iPhone is far more superior than an iPod Touch.

14 of 14 (445 Views)