The new iPhone 15
czsavvy's profile

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

Wednesday, October 5th, 2011 8:37 PM

On iPhone 3G prepaid plan, what if I switched to unlock iPhone 4S, what would I be forced to change?

Hello everyone,

Quick backstory: I am using an iPhone 3G that is out of contract and on a prepaid plan (10c/min.).

I would like to switch to the iPhone 4S without contract so I’m thinking of purchasing the unlocked iPhone 4S and switching my current phone with it, leaving the prepaid plan untouched. (I’m assuming that there will be an unlocked option, which there is mention under Apple’s About the Unlocked iPhone page.)

If I did, I’m guessing that AT&T might require that I add a smartphone data plan (even though they don't allow me to with my iPhone 3G), which I’m fine with since I prefer having data. My question is, would they also force me off prepaid and onto a monthly voice plan? Or would I be left to enjoy my prepaid 10c/min plan in peace?

I can’t see how they could as I thought their policy only concerns data, but who knows?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Scholar

• 

346 Messages

13 years ago

@czsavvy wrote:

Hello everyone,

I would like to switch to the iPhone 4S without contract so I’m thinking of purchasing the unlocked iPhone 4S and switching my current phone with it, leaving the prepaid plan untouched. (I’m assuming that there will be an unlocked option, which there is mention under Apple’s About the Unlocked iPhone page.)

If I did, I’m guessing that AT&T might require that I add a smartphone data plan (even though they don't allow me to with my iPhone 3G), which I’m fine with since I prefer having data. My question is, would they also force me off prepaid and onto a monthly voice plan? Or would I be left to enjoy my prepaid 10c/min plan in peace?

I can’t see how they could as I thought their policy only concerns data, but who knows?

If you buy the phone unlocked from Apple, then no, AT&T can't force you to buy anything unless you decide to use your unlocked phone on AT&T's postpaid service.

The smartphone data plans on GoPhone are optional. You don't need to get one if you don't need it. They just put a data block on your line if you're using a smartphone and you don't subscribe to a data feature package. However, there was an old $1/day, $0.10 min (with free M2M) plan aside from the new flat $0.10/min plan now offered. They might switch you to the latter if you're on the old plan as that one wasn't allowed for smartphones.

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

13 years ago

Fantastic. I would much prefer to stay on a prepaid plan, even if it means ponying up a couple hundred more than the other folks.

In terms of the $1/day plan, that must have been around before I switched to prepaid (only since August 2011). It was not presented as an option to me, though free M2M would have been nice 😞

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

13 years ago

Haven't see a unlocked Iphone4s indicated for the US yet, only for Canada at 649.00CA for the 16gb, have a link for a US priced one?

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

13 years ago

This is all I have to go by for the moment, nothing specific to the US:

The unlocked iPhone includes all the features of iPhone but without a contract commitment. You can activate and use it on the supported GSM wireless network of your choice, such as AT&T in the United States.* The unlocked

iPhone 4or iPhone 4S will not work with CDMA-based carriers such as Verizon Wireless or Sprint.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone/iphone4/about_unlocked

It doesn't lend much confidence that we'll see the option come tomorrow, but it gives me hope.

How do you know an unlocked iPhone will be released in Canada? If nothing else, I could use a trip to Toronto 🙂

Scholar

• 

182 Messages

13 years ago

You said:

1. I would like to switch to the iPhone 4S without contract so I’m thinking of purchasing the unlocked iPhone 4S and switching my current phone with it, leaving the prepaid plan untouched. (I’m assuming that there will be an unlocked option, which there is mention under Apple’s About the Unlocked iPhone page.)
  2. If I did, I’m guessing that AT&T might require that I add a smartphone data plan (even though they don't allow me to with my iPhone 3G), which I’m fine with since I prefer having data. My question is, would they also force me off prepaid and onto a monthly voice plan? Or would I be left to enjoy my prepaid 10c/min plan in peace?

1. I have an iPhone 3G as well.  Under prepaid with talk/text/3G data.  Under the 10c plan with the data feature package add on.  For four months now.
  2. "AT&T does not allow ... with my iPhone 3G":  Observation:  the iPhone 3G is a smartphone like any other.  Yes, AT&T places simplistic hurdles to avoid enabling your APN carrier settings, and those settings are hidden on locked iPhones (courtesy of AT&T).  But there is a simple "APN Changer" to setup your iPhone's AT&T APN.  APN Changer is a web-clip, and as such, does not require your iPhone to be jailbroken.  And does not violate any official terms or conditions of AT&T's prepaid service, either.  I am looking forward to use the new iPhone 4S the same way.

I just wanted to make this clear.  And help others, as well.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.