Posted Sep 22, 2012
9:39:58 AM
No simultaneous voice and date on iPhone 5?

This doesn't seem right. If I'm taking a call on my new iPhone 5, I'm unable to do anything requiring a connection to the internet. Is anyone else experiencing this?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
Sep 22, 2012 10:48:04 AM
(0)
Master

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1976

iOS: Understanding cellular data networks

Summary

This article provides information on GSM, CDMA, and LTE cellular data networks.

Products Affected

iPad (Wi-Fi + Cellular models), iPhone

When a Wi-Fi network is unavailable, iPhone and iPad (Wi-Fi + Cellular models) are capable of using a cellular data network for Internet connectivity.

Select your carrier network technology to learn more about the cellular data network capabilities and features, including:

• Network types
  • Status Bar icons
  • Whether simultaneous voice and data are supported (on iPhone)

GSM networks

GSM networks support simultaneous voice and data on iPhone when using a UMTS connection.

UMTS 4G Yes Appears on iPhone 4S and iPad (3rd generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular with iOS 5.1 while connected to AT&T's high-speed network in the United States.
UMTS 3G Yes  
EDGE E No May be unable to receive calls while transferring data over the cellular network.*
GPRS ° No
* If you cannot receive the call, it will immediately go to voicemail.

CDMA networks

CDMA networks do not support simultaneous voice and data on iPhone

EV-DO 3G No Can receive calls while transferring data over the cellular network.
1xRTT ° No May be unable to receive calls while transferring data over the cellular network.*

LTE networks

LTE is available with supported LTE carriers.

LTE LTE No1 iPhone 5 and iPad (3rd generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular only.2
  1. iPhone 5 (GSM model) will switch to 3G for data during voice calls.
  2. Requires a supported LTE carrier. For iPhone, see this article. For iPad, see this article.

Additional Information

Cellular data requires an active phone or data plan with a wireless carrier. Contact your wireless carrier for more details.

Cellular data may not be available in all locations, and network speed and connectivity may vary depending on location. Check the carrier's network coverage in your area for availability. See this article for links for wireless carrier support and basic information about the features supported by wireless carriers.

When you are outside your carrier's network, you may be able to access the Internet using another wireless carrier. To use another carrier's network, turn on Data Roaming in Settings > General > Cellular for iPhone; on iPad useSettings > Cellular.

Notes:

• Roaming charges may apply, contact your wireless carrier for more information. To avoid data roaming charges, make sure Data Roaming is turned off.
  • When using a cellular data network that does not support simultaneous voice and data, incoming or outgoing calls will interrupt cellular data transfers until the call ends. This does not affect Wi-Fi network connectivity.
Important: Information about products not manufactured by Apple is provided for information purposes only and does not constitute Apple’s recommendation or endorsement. Please contact the vendor for additional information.

Accepted Solution

No simultaneous voice and date on iPhone 5?

70 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(70)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 22, 2012 9:42:16 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager

You definitely should have the ability to use voice and data at the same time. Edit -  As discussed in this thread; if you're in an area of LTE service, your data use should shift to 3G. 

Do you get an error message or does it just time out?

Have you done any troubleshooting like restarting your phone or resetting your network settings?

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: No simultaneous voice and date on iPhone 5?

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 22, 2012 9:54:22 AM
(0)
Teacher

I have restarted the phone several times.I just tried restarting the network settings and have the same problem. If I place an outbound call, I'll see 4G replace LTE at the top of the screen very briefly. When the call is in progress, 4G disappears and nothing is shown in its place next to the word "AT&T". The error message I receive says: "Cellular data connections are not available during this call." Under General > Cellular, Cellular Data is on, Enable LTE is on.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 22, 2012 10:04:22 AM
(0)
Tutor

INterestingly enough I have tested this on 2 new iphones, both family members, and the same issue arises.  This was what I was afraid of and kept me from buying the iPhone 5. 

Not sure what the exact issue is, but it might be a combination of Apple & AT&T.

If any one knows how to fix please let us know

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 22, 2012 10:16:17 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Are you in a 3G area? I would assume that you are if you are in an area covered by LTE. Because of the way that the iPhone 5 is designed, if you attempt to use data and voice at the same time, the data should fall back to the 3G network, and you should be able to do both at the same time. The data will not go over LTE while you are on a call because voice and data are on the same chip.

It sounds like your calls are falling down to the 2G network, which doesn't allow similtaneous voice and data. I'm not familiar with your available settings options, but do you have 3G enabled on your phone?
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 22, 2012 10:21:22 AM
(0)
Teacher

I'm in St. Louis. I don't have an option to enable 3G in iOS6.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 22, 2012 10:30:18 AM
(0)
Professor

rdbecker wrote:

I'm in St. Louis. I don't have an option to enable 3G in iOS6.

In iOS6, the only option is to enable/disable LTE.  4G (HSPA+), 3G, and EDGE are on by default, unless you turn off all cellular data.

They do claim the on the AT&T network, the phone will fall back to 3G when in an LTE area, but how does that actually work?  If you initiate or receive a voice call, does that automatically drop everything back to 3G, both voice and data, even if your aren't using daa at the time?  Or if you are on a voice call and then try to use data while in an LTE area, does that then drop everything back to 3G?  If it's not working, the transition may not be working right.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
Sep 22, 2012 10:48:04 AM
(0)
Master

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1976

iOS: Understanding cellular data networks

Summary

This article provides information on GSM, CDMA, and LTE cellular data networks.

Products Affected

iPad (Wi-Fi + Cellular models), iPhone

When a Wi-Fi network is unavailable, iPhone and iPad (Wi-Fi + Cellular models) are capable of using a cellular data network for Internet connectivity.

Select your carrier network technology to learn more about the cellular data network capabilities and features, including:

• Network types
  • Status Bar icons
  • Whether simultaneous voice and data are supported (on iPhone)

GSM networks

GSM networks support simultaneous voice and data on iPhone when using a UMTS connection.

UMTS 4G Yes Appears on iPhone 4S and iPad (3rd generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular with iOS 5.1 while connected to AT&T's high-speed network in the United States.
UMTS 3G Yes  
EDGE E No May be unable to receive calls while transferring data over the cellular network.*
GPRS ° No

CDMA networks

CDMA networks do not support simultaneous voice and data on iPhone

EV-DO 3G No Can receive calls while transferring data over the cellular network.
1xRTT ° No May be unable to receive calls while transferring data over the cellular network.*

LTE networks

LTE is available with supported LTE carriers.

LTE LTE No1 iPhone 5 and iPad (3rd generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular only.2
  1. iPhone 5 (GSM model) will switch to 3G for data during voice calls.
  2. Requires a supported LTE carrier. For iPhone, see this article. For iPad, see this article.

Additional Information

Cellular data requires an active phone or data plan with a wireless carrier. Contact your wireless carrier for more details.

Cellular data may not be available in all locations, and network speed and connectivity may vary depending on location. Check the carrier's network coverage in your area for availability. See this article for links for wireless carrier support and basic information about the features supported by wireless carriers.

When you are outside your carrier's network, you may be able to access the Internet using another wireless carrier. To use another carrier's network, turn on Data Roaming in Settings > General > Cellular for iPhone; on iPad useSettings > Cellular.

Notes:

• Roaming charges may apply, contact your wireless carrier for more information. To avoid data roaming charges, make sure Data Roaming is turned off.
  • When using a cellular data network that does not support simultaneous voice and data, incoming or outgoing calls will interrupt cellular data transfers until the call ends. This does not affect Wi-Fi network connectivity.
Important: Information about products not manufactured by Apple is provided for information purposes only and does not constitute Apple’s recommendation or endorsement. Please contact the vendor for additional information.

Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 22, 2012 11:34:02 AM
(0)
Professor
This is interesting:

When using a cellular data network that does not support simultaneous voice and data, incoming or outgoing calls will interrupt cellular data transfers until the call ends.

This seems to imply that if you are transferring data over LTE and a call comes in, or you start one, it won't drop to 3G.

However, this says:

iPhone 5 (GSM model) will switch to 3G for data during voice

Which states the opposite, unless it's limited to just starting data transfer during a call, although it doesn't say that.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 22, 2012 11:37:52 AM
(0)
Mentor
Mine works fine.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 22, 2012 11:44:11 AM
(0)
Teacher

I contacted chat support and didn't accomplish much. They are going to open a ticket to see if there's an unreported outage or other issue. If this is a larger problem specific to St. Lous, I would have expected more people to complain about it.  Getting this phone going is proving to be a very time intensive process.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 22, 2012 11:46:29 AM
(0)
Master

No your mixing the technologies.  Those are two seprate and differnt senarios.  The LTE (ATT GSM Version) will always fall back to 3G for data if there is a call.  No matter if the data was initated before or during the call.

The other statement was for netowrks that don't support it simultanious (ie CDMA), the data is dropped completely for the call if you were in a data session or will not be available if your in a call.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 23, 2012 8:08:49 PM
(0)
Teacher

No follow up?

jamileh wrote:

You definitely should have the ability to use voice and data at the same time. 

Do you get an error message or does it just time out?

Have you done any troubleshooting like restarting your phone or resetting your network settings?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 23, 2012 8:16:52 PM
(0)
Tutor

I don't know how that solution actually is a viable one since it does not work.  like I said the phone does not go down to 3G when on a call. It stays on LTE and gives an error that data can not be used during a phone concall.  This needs to be checked and fixed.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 23, 2012 8:22:58 PM
(0)
Teacher

cwman20 wrote:

I don't know how that solution actually is a viable one since it does not work.  like I said the phone does not go down to 3G when on a call. It stays on LTE and gives an error that data can not be used during a phone concall.  This needs to be checked and fixed.

I just got off my second AT&T support chat of the weekend. A ticket was opened after the first session; the tech wanted to find out if there was a larger issue going on. It's obvious there isn't because more people would be talking about it. My second session tonight ended with no progress. The tech tried to tell me LTE isn't in my area even though my phone shows the LTE network. I gave him LTE and 4G speed tests to prove him wrong. I shouldn't need to do that. After that, he told me to wait until my ticket was resolved. This is getting stupid. I'm going to the Apple Store tomorrow, but I can't imagine there's much they can do, unless they want to replace my phone (which wouldn't really address the AT&T problem).

Are you in St. Louis, by chance?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 23, 2012 9:17:56 PM
(0)
Master

I'm not saying your not having issues.  I'm just trying to think of ways to break out troubleshooting to determine if it would be a device issue, and account issue or possible network issue in your area.

The part that should be happening and it's not is when your phone goes from LTE to 4G, it should stay there on 4G so it can use data.  But for some reason it not.  The 4G is dissapearing after a second the then there is nothing after the AT&T.

What happens if you turn off the LTE in the setitngs?  

Does the phone stay in 4G mode?  

Can you use voice and data at the same time?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 24, 2012 5:03:50 AM
(0)
Tutor

I do not live in St. Louis.  I live in Michigan

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 24, 2012 5:06:16 AM
(0)
Tutor

I havent tested if it works on 4g only when turning off LTE.  But that is the whole point.  I am getting the phone because it has LTE.  Why would I buy a phone just to disable LTE and drop down to a lesser service?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 24, 2012 6:18:47 AM
(0)
Professor
The phone is always going to drop out of LTE when on a call because of how Apple designed the chip.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 24, 2012 6:24:39 AM
(0)
Tutor

If it worked that way dwill05 I would not have a problem.  But unfortunately it does not work.  If you have the iphone 5 can you test it for me?  Make a call and then use Data, on LTE.  see what happens

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 24, 2012 7:34:11 AM
(0)
Professor
I did. LTE showing, initiated a call, indicator dropped immediately to 4G, went to Safari, open and changed web pages with no issue while call was ongoing. Only issue is that it seemed to take a little while to swap back to LTE after call ended.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 24, 2012 7:36:54 AM
(0)
Tutor
Thanks for checking. But it is not working that way here in michigan right now.

We shall see.

is there an effect for it swapping back to LTE?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 24, 2012 7:53:40 AM
(0)
Mentor

I see the same symtoms here often, too.  You answer a call and the 4G dissaprears.  At that point you will not be able to surf..period.  I don't know what AT&T is doing lately, but the network in my area has gone downhill big time.  I used to sing AT&T praises to everyone becuase they were the better solution, but lately I'm not so sure.  It may be time to re-evaluate... I've done many many "Mark the Spot" entrys to no avail.  BTW, I'm on a 4S

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 24, 2012 8:26:44 AM
(0)
Scholar

cwman20 wrote:

I am getting the phone because it has LTE.  Why would I buy a phone just to disable LTE and drop down to a lesser service?

I dunno, maybe because it's the iPhone 5?  I mean, IIRC there are other phones that have LTE so for you to say that you're getting the phone (simply) because it has LTE is somewhat of a stretch, considering the phone in question (iPhone 5).

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 24, 2012 8:40:32 AM
(0)
Tutor

LOL Jane.  Your response cracks me up.  Since all you know is that "ITS THE iPHONE 5" and the we all have to get it thinking is out there in left field, then you wouldn't understand technology behind all of this.  There are other LTE phones that do exactly that.. both data & voice simultaneously.   But thats ok...  I understand... "ITS THE IPHONE 5" LOL

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 24, 2012 9:53:25 AM
(0)
Teacher
Okay...today my phone flips to 4G while on a call. What is not doing is flipping back to LTE when I disconnect. A speed test confirms this. And, as I type this reply my phone now rejoined LTE.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 24, 2012 4:15:47 PM
(0)
Master

rdbecker wrote:
Okay...today my phone flips to 4G while on a call. What is not doing is flipping back to LTE when I disconnect. A speed test confirms this. And, as I type this reply my phone now rejoined LTE.

Definately sounds like ATT is doing someting on the network side in your area.  Bad part is, it will be futile to get a real answer from ATT.  You can use the iPhone AT&T Mark the Spot app, and keep using it to report the issue as you move around to different areas.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/at-t-mark-the-spot/id338307313?mt=8

But of you call asking a status, you will normally get the runaround as they generally don't know themselves.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 24, 2012 4:20:01 PM
(0)
Master

cwman20 wrote:

I havent tested if it works on 4g only when turning off LTE.  But that is the whole point.  I am getting the phone because it has LTE.  Why would I buy a phone just to disable LTE and drop down to a lesser service?

I didn't tell you to disable it peremently.  I just suggesting doing it temporarily to test different aspect of the network in your area to rule out what does and doesn't work.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 25, 2012 8:23:14 AM
(0)
Scholar

cwman20 wrote:

There are other LTE phones that do exactly that.. both data & voice simultaneously.   But thats ok...  I understand... "ITS THE IPHONE 5" LOL

Then go buy one of those phones instead if simutaneous data and voice is that important to you--IIRC it was previously established that the iPhone 5 could not do simultaneous voice and data while on LTE.  Not sure what point you were trying to make by complaining about such a shortcoming that was already known, other than whining for the sake of whining.

Have a nice day! :smileyhappy:

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 25, 2012 8:35:45 AM
(0)
Tutor

Actually Jane... It was only known for the Verizon & Sprint phones, not AT&T iPhone.  Its not for the sake of complaining but for the sake of trying to understand the issue, which is why it is not working and how it can be fixed.  The issue is why the service is not dropping down to the 3g network while on a call, then picking up LTE after finishing the call.

But since you don't want to read the whole thread my suggestion would be to enjoy your iPhone 5 and leave the posts between those who want to figure out the issue.

Have a Nice Day

:smileylol: