Posted Sep 12, 2012
Iphone 4 or 4s without data package

Hello,

we have a family contract with 4 lines. On 3 of this 4 lines we are using an iphone and now i wanted to know if it is possible to add another iphone on the 4th line but without a data package? 
Thanks

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
9-12-2012 10:37:45 AM
(0)

If you use any smartphone, like the iPhone, on AT&T's network you are required to have a data plan. 

If you do not use the phone on AT&T's network, you will not be required to have a data plan. That means if you use the phone without the SIM card, you can just use it as an iPod. You will not be able to make/receive calls or text messages via the AT&T network however. 

Accepted Solution

Iphone 4 or 4s without data package

17 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(17)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 12, 2012
(0)
nope

Knight Rider Rules.gif

AT&T's return policy has changed effective 10/07/12.  You have 14 days to return the device & cxl without a ETF.  Policy info HERE.

Where is Justin Timberlake when you need him?. I need him to billed me a bridge to get a cross all these tears from complainers.This post is protected under the laws of the United States & other Countries. Unauthorized duplication, Distribution may result in civil liability & criminal prosecution.The OP gratefully acknowledge the cooperation of: The mods, Fellow forumites, Canada, The United States Of America, Mexico, USVI & Europe. As well as James Bond.

When the going gets rough, hide in a pillow fort and pretend you don't exist.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Iphone 4 or 4s without data package

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
Sep 12, 2012
(0)
All iPhones/Smartphones you get will have to have a required data package to be fully functional

Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 12, 2012
(0)

and can i do it, when it would not be fully functional? 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 12, 2012
(0)
if you use the iPhone with a active simcard you are required/mandated a data plan, no choice

Knight Rider Rules.gif

AT&T's return policy has changed effective 10/07/12.  You have 14 days to return the device & cxl without a ETF.  Policy info HERE.

Where is Justin Timberlake when you need him?. I need him to billed me a bridge to get a cross all these tears from complainers.This post is protected under the laws of the United States & other Countries. Unauthorized duplication, Distribution may result in civil liability & criminal prosecution.The OP gratefully acknowledge the cooperation of: The mods, Fellow forumites, Canada, The United States Of America, Mexico, USVI & Europe. As well as James Bond.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 12, 2012
(0)

and if i only get it in the contract, but only use it without a sim-card as an ipod?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
Sep 12, 2012
(0)

If you use any smartphone, like the iPhone, on AT&T's network you are required to have a data plan. 

If you do not use the phone on AT&T's network, you will not be required to have a data plan. That means if you use the phone without the SIM card, you can just use it as an iPod. You will not be able to make/receive calls or text messages via the AT&T network however. 

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 12, 2012
(0)

and am i able to buy an iphone for the money of the contract without using it in the contract? so let's say i have the plan with unlimited text and talk and my own phone and i want to buy the iphone for this plan, but no data, because i won't use the iphone as a phone and only as an ipod. That would be possible?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 12, 2012
(0)

You can choose not to use the iPhone as an actual phone but you will still be charged for whatever plans you order when you purchase it. 

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 12, 2012
(0)

Basti910 wrote:

and am i able to buy an iphone for the money of the contract without using it in the contract? so let's say i have the plan with unlimited text and talk and my own phone and i want to buy the iphone for this plan, but no data, because i won't use the iphone as a phone and only as an ipod. That would be possible?

then buy a ipod, if you put a sim in the iphone, it will be charged for a data plan

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 12, 2012
(0)

I may be too late, but you can use ANY phone without a data package no matter if you have a contract or prepaid. iPhones are no exception. Them telling you you can't is just another way to get more money out of you, it's easy to see. It's a phone, it can operate perfectly fine without a data package. Think about it. It doesn't have a data package when you put your sim card in it; you have to set it up before you can use your data package on your iPhone. Until you set it up, your phone works perfectly fine. Now, to use anything connected to the internet, you DO have to have a data package or whatever you're using the internet for will NOT WORK. You can also be connected to WiFi to use internet features. The common misconception with iPhones and basically any smartphone is that they HAVE to have a data package to operate properly, and that's not true at all. If you put your sim card in an iPhone 4 / 4S, it would be able to send and receive text messages just fine (if you have that feature on your plan), & it would be able to make calls and receive calls just fine. Basically, anything a phone company tells you about data packages & iPhones is just a way to get money out of you, so I'd just try anything you have questions about before you ask your phone company.

Before anyone attacks me, I'm not trying to act like I know everything about iPhones or anything like that, I just know plenty of people who have them & I have one myself. Plenty of people I know have gone through this exact thing, and their phone company has told them the exact thing AT&T has told you. Some of them were even on AT&T. I'm just letting you know. Do what you will with the information I've given you. Thank you for reading everything.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 13, 2012
(0)
you are correct, you can put the simcard in the phone (any smart phone) and use it as you wish, but once AT&T's (or any other carriers) system catches that it is any type of smart phone the system will automatically add the data plan to that line and it will be billed for as long as the smart phone is in use on the network, all carriers at all times know the make and model and imei in use for all lines of service and all phones.

Knight Rider Rules.gif

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 13, 2012
(0)

That's not true, it's just a way to scare you into buying more things from them. I have seen a physical iPhone operate without a data package and without being charged for a data package, I have one that does this and I know plenty of people who have one that does this. I promise you don't need a data package and you won't be charged for one and if they try to charge you for one, put up a fight. People have voices that they rarely use anymore just because a supposed phone company knows "everything" about a certain product. AT&T has tried to screw me over plenty of times, but I put up a fight and point out the things they do that take advantage of people, and they straighten it out. Like I said before, it's a common misconception that iPhones/smartphones have to have a data package to work, or you have to have a data package or you'll get charged for one. If you start getting charged for one, tell them you didn't use any of the data they're charging you for, and they will reimburse you.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 13, 2012
(0)

boecyrus wrote:

That's not true, it's just a way to scare you into buying more things from them. I have seen a physical iPhone operate without a data package and without being charged for a data package, I have one that does this and I know plenty of people who have one that does this. I promise you don't need a data package and you won't be charged for one and if they try to charge you for one, put up a fight. People have voices that they rarely use anymore just because a supposed phone company knows "everything" about a certain product. AT&T has tried to screw me over plenty of times, but I put up a fight and point out the things they do that take advantage of people, and they straighten it out. Like I said before, it's a common misconception that iPhones/smartphones have to have a data package to work, or you have to have a data package or you'll get charged for one. If you start getting charged for one, tell them you didn't use any of the data they're charging you for, and they will reimburse you.

Sorry to disagree with you, unless it was a gophone then that would work. Put a Iphone on the account wiothout data and you will see the message that a data plan is being added. It does not matter if a smartphone requires a data plan to work or not, the contract, terms of service and fair use policy states that a smartphone requires a data plan, if you don't have one, one will be added - and there is nothing you can do about it but cancel the account - they will NOT reimburse you at all for a smarthpne data plan, you cannot add a data block on a smartphone

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 28, 2012
(0)

I have iphone4 and have been using it for like a year and half on ATT network,

until very recently I was even able to use data on it and all that with no pernament package. I was on $0.1 minute and $5 for 50MB (which for emails is more then enough)

but now I can no-longer buy the data package and it says I would have to get a plan instead. which I don't want to do becuase it's too expensive for what it is worth to me ..

I don't know if this "option" of buying data packages is some policy they changed .. or if it's whay you people describe as "ATT caught you with smartphone" ..

non the less.. I can still use it for calling and internet only through wifi...

I didn't get any message about monthly data plan being added to my account .. and it doens't even seems to be an option, since the monthly plan it offers doesn't include data and I would have to buy it again .. so it will be at least $30 a month .. which is amount I spent in 3 months

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 28, 2012
(0)
I don't know how you got away with that. I tried the same thing. I put my kids non smart phone SIM card into my iPhone and shortly after that I got the message saying that I needed to add a data plan and they would add the largest data plan to my account.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 29, 2013
(0)

I called AT&T and they wouldn't answer this question when I asked about the prepaid plan. But they transfered me to another service person who did. Yes, if your iphone is past its contract date, you can opt for a $25 per month plan without data. I asked this question three times because this forum seems full of opinions to the contrary. But each time the service person answered (patiently) that I would be able to do this with my iphone. Hope this helps. I think it is always better to ask AT&T then to wade through what others think.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 30, 2013
(0)
If it is a Pay As You Go plan, you can have without data. If it is a regular calling plan, it requires data, period.
Don't always believe the people on the phone. There are hundreds of post about what people were told by customer service not being correct.