Posted Oct 17, 2011
11:29:26 PM
I am getting billed for iMessage text messages

I noticed today that AT&T is billing me for iMessage texts even though they don't go through their system the same way.  I've learned from others that the same thing is happening to them.  Is this an error or is AT&T actually billing for this even though we are told they don't?

I am getting billed for iMessage text messages

24 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
Replies
(24)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 18, 2011 2:02:46 AM
(0)
Professor
Are you sure the text messages are being sent and received via iMessage vs. normal SMS/MMS?

Re: I am getting billed for iMessage text messages

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 18, 2011 2:17:05 AM
(0)
Master

Both you and the person that you are sending the iMessage to have to be running iOS 5 in order for it to count as an iMessage. If you have iOS 5 and the other party doesn't your message will go through as an SMS. A good way to tell before sending out your message is to check and see what the text box says next to the send button before you start texting in it. If the box doesn't say "iMessage" it will be sent and billed as an SMS.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 18, 2011 2:44:24 AM
(0)
Professor
How does your phone know ahead of time whether the other person has iOS 5? A friend at work and his wife both got iPhone 4S's. When I compose a message to him, it automatically comes up as iMessage in the box, but if I compose a message to her, it comes up as a normal SMS message. They should come up the same way since they both have iOS 5 (I also have iOS 5 on my iPhone 4).

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 18, 2011 4:03:21 AM
(0)
Mentor

Both users must also have iMessage turned on in Settings > General.

The differentian and determination of how the message is sent is handled in the background of iOS.

For me, it only seems to work when th person I'm messaging with has their phone number specifically defined as "iPhone" in the contact.  But that may not be a factor at all, it is merely my experience.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 18, 2011 4:21:28 AM
(0)
Explorer

You can also tell by the chat bubble being blue. With sms it is green.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 18, 2011 6:34:44 AM
(0)
Master

It will also say iMessage in the text box where you start to wright your message.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 18, 2011 7:17:50 AM
(0)
Mentor

My sister used to have a blackberry and updgraded to the 4S on Verizon this weekend, I sent a normal SMS to her using her number the first time after she got the phone, then when she replied to me it came back in iMessage.  There must be something when you send your message that tells the other device you are on iOS 5 and to default to iMessage on the response.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 18, 2011 8:33:54 AM
(0)
Guru
How do you know they are charging you? None of my iMessages even show up on AT&T's website.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 18, 2011 10:28:56 AM
(0)
Expert

Under Settings - Messages about misway down there is a on off slider that is set as Send as SMS, if it is one the help text states that is will "send as SMS whne iMessage is unavailable. Carrier messaging rates may apply"

It appears that if this is on, and imessage cannot send the text for any reason it automaticly sends it as SMS

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 18, 2011 10:32:45 AM
(0)
Scholar

wingrider01 wrote:

Under Settings - Messages about misway down there is a on off slider that is set as Send as SMS, if it is one the help text states that is will "send as SMS whne iMessage is unavailable. Carrier messaging rates may apply"

It appears that if this is on, and imessage cannot send the text for any reason it automaticly sends it as SMS

This is accurate. For recipients that iOS identifies as iMessage enabled, it will initially attempt to send the message via iMessage. If that times out, then if he switch is turned on in settings, it will switch gears and send the message via SMS. If not, it won't.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 20, 2011 6:01:03 AM
(0)
Tutor

It happens the same to me. Myself, my wife and daughter have iPhone and all sms, in 3G, between my wife and daughter (they have the iPhone 4 with ios5) have been billed (all settings correctly done)

In addition despite the fact that "send as SMS whne iMessage is unavailable. Carrier messaging rates may apply" is desactivated, the sms are sent even though, and billed of course.

I am going to visit AT&T and Apple Store.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 20, 2011 7:15:17 AM
(0)
Expert

Hobbywan wrote:

It happens the same to me. Myself, my wife and daughter have iPhone and all sms, in 3G, between my wife and daughter (they have the iPhone 4 with ios5) have been billed (all settings correctly done)

In addition despite the fact that "send as SMS whne iMessage is unavailable. Carrier messaging rates may apply" is desactivated, the sms are sent even though, and billed of course.

I am going to visit AT&T and Apple Store.

Would stick with Apple Genius bar, suspect ATT reps will not be able to help in this IOS 5 function.

Also - verify it is setup right

http://gigaom.com/apple/ios-5-imessage/

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 21, 2011 6:54:54 AM
(0)
Tutor

Correct. I have been to AT&T and they do not want to hear about iMessage. They sent me to Apple Store. Will see what they said.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 21, 2011 7:13:12 AM
(0)
Expert

Hobbywan wrote:

Correct. I have been to AT&T and they do not want to hear about iMessage. They sent me to Apple Store. Will see what they said.

Perfectly understandable since it is a Apple IOS function and has nothing to do with any of the carriers services, same typew of discussions are going on over at Sprint and Verizon forums

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 27, 2012 11:21:59 AM
(0)
Contributor

Hi there-- This same thing is happening to my husband and me. We got iphone 4s's in December, and our first bill had us being charged for imessages, as if they were text messages (showing up in my AT&T bill under text messages, counting towards my 200 messages, and then being billed additionally at $.10). Those were in fact imessages, because they are blue (NOT green) and even say imessage.We have all of our imessage settings set correctly, and we are running on OS 5 or higher. However in 6 calls to AT&T and 3 cases being opened about this problem, their only conclusion all three times was I must be wrong or colorblind and illiterate, that there was no way they could be imessages. My husband and I are on the same account, and they could see we both have iphone 4s's and they could see that we both were getting charged for texting each other, but they just couldn't comprehend that this could be happenning with imessages. They even tried contacting apple support with no luck. I switched my settings to not send as a text message when imessages don't go through, and it seems, fingers crossed, that this is working.

This was incredibly frustrating, and I'd like info from anyone about how they were able to convince AT&T that this was a genuine problem they were having, and what the solution may be. I have a feeling that this problem is not over, so I would love that information if anyone has it.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 27, 2012 1:11:20 PM
(0)
Employee

jbaber wrote:

Hi there-- This same thing is happening to my husband and me. We got iphone 4s's in December, and our first bill had us being charged for imessages, as if they were text messages (showing up in my AT&T bill under text messages, counting towards my 200 messages, and then being billed additionally at $.10). Those were in fact imessages, because they are blue (NOT green) and even say imessage.We have all of our imessage settings set correctly, and we are running on OS 5 or higher. However in 6 calls to AT&T and 3 cases being opened about this problem, their only conclusion all three times was I must be wrong or colorblind and illiterate, that there was no way they could be imessages. My husband and I are on the same account, and they could see we both have iphone 4s's and they could see that we both were getting charged for texting each other, but they just couldn't comprehend that this could be happenning with imessages. They even tried contacting apple support with no luck. I switched my settings to not send as a text message when imessages don't go through, and it seems, fingers crossed, that this is working.

This was incredibly frustrating, and I'd like info from anyone about how they were able to convince AT&T that this was a genuine problem they were having, and what the solution may be. I have a feeling that this problem is not over, so I would love that information if anyone has it.

Don't rule out the possibility that the problem is with iMessage. My wife and I both have iPhones and I have sent texts to her that initially showed as having been sent via iMessage (blue) but later turned to green. There are also times when after sending a text and it shows as blue, sometimes I will also see "delivered" under the blue bubble and sometimes I won't. I am fairly convinced that just because the bubble is blue, that does not always mean it got delivered via iMessage. Based on my observation, I believe that as long as you have the "send as SMS" option turned on, it will revert to SMS immediately if iMessage delivery is not verified but may or may not turn the bubble green. Now that you have turned off the setting to send as SMS when iMessage does not work you should be OK but in my opinion, I think there is a strong possibility that all those messages on your bill actually were delivered via SMS and not iMessage.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 27, 2012 1:14:48 PM
(0)
Contributor

Hmmm. Both AT&T and Apple said that if the message was still blue (it was, a month later... no, I don't erase anything:smileyhappy:) then it was an imessage and should not be charged as such.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 7, 2013 12:20:58 PM
(0)
Contributor

Very often, I message someone I know has an iphone and it definitely says "imessage" in the text box. I hit send, and it shows "blue" in the bubble indicating that it was sent as an imessage. Then a few minutes later, it turns green, and a small explanation appears under it, "sent as text message". I end up getting billed for sending and receiving text messages, instead of the free imessaging.

I called AT&T and they explained WHY it happens, so that is not my question.

Does anyone know of a work-around, or a setting that will prevent it from being completed unless it indeed is received as an imessage? (Side note, about 2/3 of the messages ARE received as imessages, so I know the recipient is able to receive and send. They are friends and family.) Thank you.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 7, 2013 2:18:06 PM
(0)
Expert

jdbright-124 wrote:

Very often, I message someone I know has an iphone and it definitely says "imessage" in the text box. I hit send, and it shows "blue" in the bubble indicating that it was sent as an imessage. Then a few minutes later, it turns green, and a small explanation appears under it, "sent as text message". I end up getting billed for sending and receiving text messages, instead of the free imessaging.

I called AT&T and they explained WHY it happens, so that is not my question.

Does anyone know of a work-around, or a setting that will prevent it from being completed unless it indeed is received as an imessage? (Side note, about 2/3 of the messages ARE received as imessages, so I know the recipient is able to receive and send. They are friends and family.) Thank you.

turn of send as sms - but the additional results will if it cannot send it as imessage due to the apples servers the person will not recieve your message at all. Imessage is sent as data

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 12, 2013 8:38:23 AM
(0)
Mentor

If it says delivered, it could mean that someone doesn't have their return receipts turned on, when the box is blue.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 20, 2013 3:04:19 PM
(0)
Voyager

We have Iphone 4 and Iphone 5 at home. Send as SMS is turned off on both phones.

When i send iMessage to my spouse, it goes as a text message. After half an hour, it converts itself into a iMessage. AT&T bills me for the text message.

I don't want to get billed for the text message.

Please help

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 16, 2013 2:15:13 PM
(0)
Contributor

In my experience this doesnt work. I have all mine set not to allow and I still get asked to send as a text message if iMessage wont go through. And I'm getting charged for "texts" even though none show up on my phone.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 4, 2013 2:03:37 PM
(0)
Contributor

I believe I use the imessage text messages

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 5, 2013 6:36:35 AM
(0)
Expert

MKWL wrote:

In my experience this doesnt work. I have all mine set not to allow and I still get asked to send as a text message if iMessage wont go through. And I'm getting charged for "texts" even though none show up on my phone.

that switch only applies to messages between apple products, it basicly prevents the app from sending a imessage as a sms messahe when the apple servers are having problems. It does not turn off sms completely.