The new iPhone 15
crkcallie's profile

Scholar

• 

192 Messages

Sunday, November 18th, 2012 11:33 PM

How to install iOS 6 on Apple iPhone 4S?

Hello everybody.  My grandfather has an Apple iPhone 4S and he is trying to install iOS 6 on his device.  He is trying to install the update from the phone itself because he no longer has a computer hooked up to the internet.  I know that he can update the operating system through iTunes on the phone, but when I found the update and tried to tap on Download and Install, it did not let me do it.  It read that wi-fi needed to be connected in order to complete the process.  I looked at his settings and saw that it found a wi-fi access point and it was connected to it.  However, when I looked at the phone's screen, I did not see the wi-fi icon at all.  Is there any way that my gradnfather can update his cell phone's operating system on the phone itself?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

3.7K Messages

11 years ago

@crkcallie wrote:

Hello everybody.  My grandfather has an Apple iPhone 4S and he is trying to install iOS 6 on his device.  He is trying to install the update from the phone itself because he no longer has a computer hooked up to the internet.  I know that he can update the operating system through iTunes on the phone, but when I found the update and tried to tap on Download and Install, it did not let me do it.  It read that wi-fi needed to be connected in order to complete the process.  I looked at his settings and saw that it found a wi-fi access point and it was connected to it.  However, when I looked at the phone's screen, I did not see the wi-fi icon at all.  Is there any way that my gradnfather can update his cell phone's operating system on the phone itself?

Wifi needs to be connected. If you checked an it showed a wifi but not wifi icon, it's not connected. If your granddad does not have wifi at home, go to a Starbucks, burger king,McDonald's where wifi is free,connect to wifi and hit the install button and there ya go. 

Good luck.

Scholar

• 

192 Messages

11 years ago

Thank you for the information.  I will pass this along to him.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

11 years ago

A local Apple Retail Store has Wi-Fi and the new IOS can be downloaded while you are in the Store

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.