Posted Aug 17, 2012
FaceTime Over Cellular Data with Mobile Share Only!

So AT&T won't charge for FaceTime over cellular data, but will restrict it to Mobile Share customers only.  What are your thoughts?

http://www.phonedog.com/2012/08/17/at-t-won-t-charge-fee-for-facetime-over-cellular-but-only-mobile-share-customers-can-use-it/

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
211 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(211)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 27, 2012
(0)

drumn_bass wrote:

fredflyer wrote:

Because, the "NEW" functionality is not AT&T's doing.  Apple is the one that added this capability...like they did with iMessage (which I'm sure ticks AT&T off).  I have that "NEW" functionality with iOS 5.

The truth of the matter is, the "Unlimited" data plan has been anything but.  I'll repeat it, I only use 1.2GB/mo.  That's FAR LESS than the 5GB and 10GB plans out there today.  AND, even with my "Unlimited" plan, I'll get throttled if I go over 3GB (or so I've read).

So, Czar, that's why this Grandfather believes he should get APPLE'S new functionality in iOS 6.

One thing I want to tell you about Apple is that AT&T (just like any other carrier) wouldn't do anything iPhone related without Apple agreeing to it first. Ever. It's a well known fact. Something for you guys to think about.

True, but in order for them to agree to "it", "it" had to have been brought up to them in the first place--no?  I mean, is it possible to agree to something if that something wasn't asked of you in the first place?  Are you implying that AT&T was allowed to provision Facetime over cellular only because Apple said it was okay with it?  If that's the case, then what do you think AT&T would have done had Apple said no?

Re: FaceTime Over Cellular Data with Mobile Share Only! Customers are NOT happy

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 27, 2012
(0)

anton697 wrote:

fredflyer wrote:

Because, the "NEW" functionality is not AT&T's doing.  Apple is the one that added this capability...like they did with iMessage (which I'm sure ticks AT&T off).  I have that "NEW" functionality with iOS 5.

You can bet it has ticked them off...and I bet that if they could find a way to do so, AT&T would "provision" iMessage so that using it over cellular will require a subscription to one of their Mobile Share (or higher-profit generating) plans.  Just like I'm sure they're not to thrilled that people are using Google Voice and/or third-party apps like Textfree to send/receive unlimited text messages without needing to pay for some text bundle package.

You are aware that imessage only communicates natively with another iphone running imessage, that all imessages sent to other brands of phones (and counting qmd devices and other smartphones vastly outnumber the total iphones on any carriers network), so no matter what imessage users have to make the decision to retain their texting plan or pay for pert message send and recive charge for every text message that comes it - so basicly you are telling them to pay more for less. Now add to the fact that most of the other packages you are mentioning will utilize the
the data plan attached to the phone -

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 27, 2012
(0)

Another suggestion for all of us:

To file a complaint with the FCC, go to ” fcc (dot) gov (slash) complaints ”
and then “Open Internet (Net Neutrality)”, then “Blocking of Internet content, applications, or services”

Re: FaceTime Over Cellular Data with Mobile Share Only!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 28, 2012
(0)

wingrider01 wrote:

anton697 wrote:

fredflyer wrote:

You can bet it has ticked them off...and I bet that if they could find a way to do so, AT&T would "provision" iMessage so that using it over cellular will require a subscription to one of their Mobile Share (or higher-profit generating) plans.  Just like I'm sure they're not to thrilled that people are using Google Voice and/or third-party apps like Textfree to send/receive unlimited text messages without needing to pay for some text bundle package.

You are aware that imessage only communicates natively with another iphone running imessage, that all imessages sent to other brands of phones (and counting qmd devices and other smartphones vastly outnumber the total iphones on any carriers network), so no matter what imessage users have to make the decision to retain their texting plan or pay for pert message send and recive charge for every text message that comes it - so basicly you are telling them to pay more for less. Now add to the fact that most of the other packages you are mentioning will utilize the

You're assuming that the cost associated with the number of  PPU text messages such users will send/receive will exceed that of the cost of the unlimited text plan; now I can't speak for how other folks plan to minimize such PPU texting costs, but for me I took care of that by asking AT&T to remove the PPU text feature from my entire account so at least for me, I will not be "pay(ing) more for less."  In any case, as long as an iMessage user's monthly PPU text message cost doesn't exceed that of the cost of the unlimited plan, then just by simple math they would not be paying "more for less".  Now OTOH if they need to send/receive MMS, or need to send texts that require the usage of short-message codes...then yes, it would make sense that they should consider subscribing to a text messaging plan...but again, since I don't need nor care for sending MMS or voting for the next American Idol--all of my basic texting needs are taken care of with GV...and since I've not even come close to exceeding my data plan, the fact that using GV may/will eat into my data bucket is not a concern at all...and I reckon I'm not the only one who can get by in this manner as well.

Your "caveat" insinuation about how most of the other packages will utilize the data plan--oh wow, yeah I should be really concerned that my sending/receiving text messages using Google Voice or Textfree is gonna significantly eat into my data plan bucket.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 28, 2012
(0)

anton697 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

anton697 wrote:

fredflyer wrote:

You're assuming that the cost associated with the number of  PPU text messages such users will send/receive will exceed that of the cost of the unlimited text plan; now I can't speak for how other folks plan to minimize such PPU texting costs, but for me I took care of that by asking AT&T to remove the PPU text feature from my entire account so at least for me, I will not be "pay(ing) more for less."  In any case, as long as an iMessage user's monthly PPU text message cost doesn't exceed that of the cost of the unlimited plan, then just by simple math they would not be paying "more for less".  Now OTOH if they need to send/receive MMS, or need to send texts that require the usage of short-message codes...then yes, it would make sense that they should consider subscribing to a text messaging plan...but again, since I don't need nor care for sending MMS or voting for the next American Idol--all of my basic texting needs are taken care of with GV...and since I've not even come close to exceeding my data plan, the fact that using GV may/will eat into my data bucket is not a concern at all...and I reckon I'm not the only one who can get by in this manner as well.

Your "caveat" insinuation about how most of the other packages will utilize the data plan--oh wow, yeah I should be really concerned that my sending/receiving text messages using Google Voice or Textfree is gonna significantly eat into my data plan bucket.

no I am not assuming anything, just making cold facts. Maybe not YOUR data plan, but don;t make the assumption that everyone in existense has the exact same data plan as you.

Have a good day.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 31, 2012
(0)

Since the new feature will be available in the new iOS and the new phones are not announced yet I think I would take the wait and see approach things sometimes have a way of working out the pressure has been put on and more devices besides Apple will utilize a feature similar and i think all providers are aware of it.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 13, 2012
(0)

eveyrbody knows the iPhone5 was announced yesterday, and will be releasing on the 21st. of this month. Verizon issued a statement yesterday stating they will NOT be charging customers to use FaceTime over cellular, in fact all customers with some form of a data plan will be allowed to use FaceTime over cellular at NO EXTRA COST!!! Seems ATT is the only carrier that is going to be charging for this built in feature. What kind of crap is this?? how can a number 3 carrier (sprint) offer the service at no extra cost to the customer but ATT can't? Is Verizon truly that much better than ATT, I'm starting to believe this as each month passes. This is the last straw for me, 8 year customer leaving due to corporate greed.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/09/13/verizon_to_allow_cellular_facetime_use_across_all_data_pla...

Verizon wireless NOT charging for FaceTime over cellular, ATT is losing a customer!

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 13, 2012
(0)

I noticed that Verizon is not charging extra for this with their unlimited plans.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 13, 2012
(0)

Verizon is not charging extra for this PERIOD! If you have a data plan and an iPhone with iOS6 (for facetime over cellular feature) on Verizon's network you can use it till your heart's content and your wallet is empty. ATT requires you empty your wallet twice before you can use it.

Re: I noticed that Verizon is not charging extra for this with their unlimited plans.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 13, 2012
(0)

hancock8305 wrote:

eveyrbody knows the iPhone5 was announced yesterday, and will be releasing on the 21st. of this month. Verizon issued a statement yesterday stating they will NOT be charging customers to use FaceTime over cellular, in fact all customers with some form of a data plan will be allowed to use FaceTime over cellular at NO EXTRA COST!!! Seems ATT is the only carrier that is going to be charging for this built in feature. What kind of crap is this?? how can a number 3 carrier (sprint) offer the service at no extra cost to the customer but ATT can't? Is Verizon truly that much better than ATT, I'm starting to believe this as each month passes. This is the last straw for me, 8 year customer leaving due to corporate greed.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/09/13/verizon_to_allow_cellular_facetime_use_across_all_data_pla...

AT&T is not charging for this either. The difference is AT&T has only stated they will support this on the shared data plan. Even though the media has interpreted that as meaning they won't support it on any other data plan, I contend they have not specifically said they wouldn't support it on other data plans and am hopeful they still will. 

Since Verizon is also forcing anyone who upgrades to the iphone5 at the susidized price to switch their share plan, I don't see this announcement as that big of a concession. 

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Verizon wireless NOT charging for FaceTime over cellular, ATT is losing a customer!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 13, 2012
(0)

You will also not be able to keep your unlimited plan on Verizon if you upgrade your phone.

Re: I noticed that Verizon is not charging extra for this with their unlimited plans.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 13, 2012
(0)

sandblaster wrote:

hancock8305 wrote:

AT&T is not charging for this either. The difference is AT&T has only stated they will support this on the shared data plan. Even though the media has interpreted that as meaning they won't support it on any other data plan, I contend they have not specifically said they wouldn't support it on other data plans and am hopeful they still will. 

Since Verizon is also forcing anyone who upgrades to the iphone5 at the susidized price to switch their share plan, I don't see this announcement as that big of a concession. 

ATT is charging for this by making you change your plan over to a shared data plan, that's the only way to be able to use facetime over cellular and Verizon is not making anyone who currently has an unlimited data plan switch to a new data plan, if you have unlimited data you can still keep it or switch to the new shared plans. I've already spoken to numerous reps and managers on this issue from both sides of equation ATT is not going to change the policy they have put into effect regarding facetime, Verizon is banking on that by not limiting facetime over cellular, of course Verizon could also just be playing it careful since they had the whole FCC/Android tethering issue.

Re: Verizon wireless NOT charging for FaceTime over cellular, ATT is losing a customer!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 13, 2012
(0)
negative, buy the phone outright and keep your current data plan...who the hel agrees to phone contracts anyways??

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 13, 2012
(0)

hancock8305 wrote:
negative, buy the phone outright and keep your current data plan...who the hel agrees to phone contracts anyways??

people that are not willing to spend between 600 and 900 dollars for the latest and greatest toy.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 13, 2012
(0)

hancock8305 wrote:

sandblaster wrote:

hancock8305 wrote:

ATT is charging for this by making you change your plan over to a shared data plan, that's the only way to be able to use facetime over cellular and Verizon is not making anyone who currently has an unlimited data plan switch to a new data plan, if you have unlimited data you can still keep it or switch to the new shared plans. I've already spoken to numerous reps and managers on this issue from both sides of equation ATT is not going to change the policy they have put into effect regarding facetime, Verizon is banking on that by not limiting facetime over cellular, of course Verizon could also just be playing it careful since they had the whole FCC/Android tethering issue.

hancock8305 wrote:

sandblaster wrote:

hancock8305 wrote:

but version is also not letting anyone that has a grandfathered unlimited plan to purchase the phone discounted, want to keep your unlimited plan - then expect to pay full retail for the phone - verzion is baking that not a lot of smartphone users will be willing to pay 600 - 1,000 dollars for a new tech toy just to keep thir unlimited plan - suspect that there will 30 - 40 percent less new iphone 5 users that are still on the unlimited plan after the dust settle

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 13, 2012
(0)

wingrider01 wrote:

hancock8305 wrote:

people that are not willing to spend between 600 and 900 dollars for the latest and greatest toy.

Don't need to spend $600-$900 to have the latest iToy--look at the iSheeple who are already looking to dump their iPhone 4S (because after all, it's no longer the "latest and greatest"...vanity at its finest--haha!) for the 5 without needing to spend that much money up front by either opening a new line or swapping with an existing line on their account that's eligible for a full upgrade.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 13, 2012
(0)

tonester697 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

hancock8305 wrote:

Don't need to spend $600-$900 to have the latest iToy--look at the iSheeple who are already looking to dump their iPhone 4S (because after all, it's no longer the "latest and greatest"...vanity at its finest--haha!) for the 5 without needing to spend that much money up front by either opening a new line or swapping with an existing line on their account that's eligible for a full upgrade.

you are till paying full retail for the latest and greatest toy, just that a portion of the money is coming from the sale of a previously owned toy. By using someone else's upgrade you are depriving them of the ability to upgrade and locking them into their current phone for another two years - so what do they do if 5 weeks after their upgrade is used they drop their phone in a porta-potty or run over it with a car - then they are out a new phone

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 13, 2012
(0)

The fact that I have to change plans to use this function has helped me make my mind up to drop AT&T when my plan is up.  While other app's that do the same as FaceTime do use data I do not have to change my plan for that function.  AT&T needs to get their act together this isn't about the fact that of using FaceTime it is a benifit of buying an iPhone to have this function and paying the high monthly bill. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 13, 2012
(0)

It appears AT&T is the only major provider that's going to limit FaceTime over a cellular network:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technology-blog/verizon-allow-facetime-connections-over-4g-lte-network-1...

From the article, "Verizon's competitor Sprint has likewise announced customers will be able to use FaceTime over mobile without additional charge. AT&T customers, meanwhile, will only be able to take advantage of FaceTime over cellular if they've signed up for one of the company's new shared data plans."

U suck ATT.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 13, 2012
(0)

sandblaster wrote:

hancock8305 wrote:

Verizon Wireless isn't forcing people to shared plans if they upgrade.  They can choose the tiered data plans as well as the shared data plans.  It's just that the customer will not be able to keep unlimited data with a subsidized upgrade.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 13, 2012
(0)

21stNow wrote:

sandblaster wrote:

hancock8305 wrote:

Verizon Wireless isn't forcing people to shared plans if they upgrade.  They can choose the tiered data plans as well as the shared data plans.  It's just that the customer will not be able to keep unlimited data with a subsidized upgrade.

If they want the iphone5 at the subsidized price, they have to switch to a share everything plan. In order to keep an existing plan, they will have to pay full price for the new iphone. Source: LA Times

"Now new customers who buy the iPhone 5 from Verizon will have to get the company's Shared Everything plan. They don't have a choice.

As for existing Verizon customers, they can choose to stay on their current plan or switch to Share Everything. However, if they don't switch they won't get the iPhone 5 at its $199 subsidized price."

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 13, 2012
(0)
I read a blog post by a hire up. You have to switch to a Data Share Plan. I did that today. Yet, as a single user only. I actually come out ahead. Sure, I have no roll over minutes but I have unlimited calls. I also have unlimited texts. I am limited to 6gs of internet speed in the plan and will be billed if I go over. I ran 6gs my first month on a single plan. When looking at what I was to pay vs switching I saved 30 bucks and have what I got to start off. Plus, I am working on the I4 at .99 after I return myless than 30 day old android. The I4 gets IOS 6 minus a few features but according to The ATT Rules of Engagement about Facetime, I did EXACTLY as the blog posted. I will find the blogpost.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 13, 2012
(0)
http://attpublicpolicy.com/fcc/enabling-facetime-over-our-mobile-broadband-network/

The employees have no clue what was said. I found a rep that did the switch without a glitch. Play their game. I did.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 13, 2012
(0)
You can be a single user on a shared plan. It can work. There is nothing to say you HAVE to have multi phones on the account.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 13, 2012
(0)

I don't think how many phones have to be on a Mobile Share plan was ever a topic of discussion here. Yes, you can be by yourself, as long as there at least one smartphone.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 13, 2012
(0)

drumn_bass wrote:

I don't think how many phones have to be on a Mobile Share plan was ever a topic of discussion here. Yes, you can be by yourself, as long as there at least one smartphone.

Agree, Mobile share is also about adding more devices that can share a pool of data not just a family plan but ipads, data cards, etc.....

Keep in mind that Verizon and Sprint will not allow simultaneous voice and cellular data.  ATT will.  Verizon and Sprint do support simultaneous voice and wifi data.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 14, 2012
(0)

youngjm wrote:

drumn_bass wrote:

Agree, Mobile share is also about adding more devices that can share a pool of data not just a family plan but ipads, data cards, etc.....

Keep in mind that Verizon and Sprint will not allow simultaneous voice and cellular data.  ATT will.  Verizon and Sprint do support simultaneous voice and wifi data.

Won't that (simultaneous voice and cellular data) be now possible as long as those users are connected to an LTE network?  Besides, simultaneous voice and data is not that big of a deal given the hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of current VZW and Sprint (iPhone) users...no?

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 14, 2012
(0)

tonester697 wrote:

youngjm wrote:

drumn_bass wrote:

Won't that (simultaneous voice and cellular data) be now possible as long as those users are connected to an LTE network?  Besides, simultaneous voice and data is not that big of a deal given the hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of current VZW and Sprint (iPhone) users...no?

It will once they implement VoLTE but apparently neither have yet: http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/09/still-no-simultaneous-voice-and-data-on-the-verizon-or-sprint-i...

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 14, 2012
(0)

sandblaster wrote:

tonester697 wrote:

youngjm wrote:

drumn_bass wrote:

It will once they implement VoLTE but apparently neither have yet: http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/09/still-no-simultaneous-voice-and-data-on-the-verizon-or-sprint-i...

Official - not supported

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/iPhone-5-on-Verizon-Wont-Support-Simultaneous-VoiceData-121192

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 14, 2012
(0)

wingrider01 wrote

Official - not supported

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/iPhone-5-on-Verizon-Wont-Support-Simultaneous-VoiceData-121192

Looks like the CDMA folks got dissed by Apple since other CDMA LTE phones can do it according to the comments.  Bet there are going to be some entertaining postings over at the Verizon and Sprint forums

One of the comments at the bottom is interesting.  It says that AT&T phones have to fall back to 3G to do it, so it doesn't really work with AT&T LTE either, but at least it's still possible. 

[ Edited ]