Posted Aug 17, 2012
FaceTime Over Cellular Data with Mobile Share Only!

So AT&T won't charge for FaceTime over cellular data, but will restrict it to Mobile Share customers only.  What are your thoughts?

http://www.phonedog.com/2012/08/17/at-t-won-t-charge-fee-for-facetime-over-cellular-but-only-mobile-share-customers-can-use-it/

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
211 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(211)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 14, 2012
(0)
ACE - Expert

dwill05 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote

Official - not supported

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/iPhone-5-on-Verizon-Wont-Support-Simultaneous-VoiceData-121192

Looks like the CDMA folks got dissed by Apple since other CDMA LTE phones can do it according to the comments.  Bet there are going to be some entertaining postings over at the Verizon and Sprint forums

One of the comments at the bottom is interesting.  It says that AT&T phones have to fall back to 3G to do it, so it doesn't really work with AT&T LTE either. 

dwill05 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote

Official - not supported

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/iPhone-5-on-Verizon-Wont-Support-Simultaneous-VoiceData-121192

Looks like the CDMA folks got dissed by Apple since other CDMA LTE phones can do it according to the comments.  Bet there are going to be some entertaining postings over at the Verizon and Sprint forums

One of the comments at the bottom is interesting.  It says that AT&T phones have to fall back to 3G to do it, so it doesn't really work with AT&T LTE either. 

there already are - and that was before this hit the airwaves

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: FaceTime Over Cellular Data with Mobile Share Only!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 17, 2012
(0)
ACE - Professor

sandblaster wrote:

21stNow wrote:

sandblaster wrote:

hancock8305 wrote:

eveyrbody knows the iPhone5 was announced yesterday, and will be releasing on the 21st. of this month. Verizon issued a statement yesterday stating they will NOT be charging customers to use FaceTime over cellular, in fact all customers with some form of a data plan will be allowed to use FaceTime over cellular at NO EXTRA COST!!! Seems ATT is the only carrier that is going to be charging for this built in feature. What kind of crap is this?? how can a number 3 carrier (sprint) offer the service at no extra cost to the customer but ATT can't? Is Verizon truly that much better than ATT, I'm starting to believe this as each month passes. This is the last straw for me, 8 year customer leaving due to corporate greed.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/09/13/verizon_to_allow_cellular_facetime_use_across_all_data_pla...

AT&T is not charging for this either. The difference is AT&T has only stated they will support this on the shared data plan. Even though the media has interpreted that as meaning they won't support it on any other data plan, I contend they have not specifically said they wouldn't support it on other data plans and am hopeful they still will. 

Since Verizon is also forcing anyone who upgrades to the iphone5 at the susidized price to switch their share plan, I don't see this announcement as that big of a concession. 

Verizon Wireless isn't forcing people to shared plans if they upgrade.  They can choose the tiered data plans as well as the shared data plans.  It's just that the customer will not be able to keep unlimited data with a subsidized upgrade.

If they want the iphone5 at the subsidized price, they have to switch to a share everything plan. In order to keep an existing plan, they will have to pay full price for the new iphone. Source: LA Times

"Now new customers who buy the iPhone 5 from Verizon will have to get the company's Shared Everything plan. They don't have a choice.

As for existing Verizon customers, they can choose to stay on their current plan or switch to Share Everything. However, if they don't switch they won't get the iPhone 5 at its $199 subsidized price."

The LA Times got it wrong (as a lot of the newspapers do when it comes to technology-related stories).  You can go to Verizon Wireless' website and see that this is not the case.  Existing customers can stay on their current voice and text plans.  If they have unlimited data, they have to switch to a tiered data plan if they want a subsidized upgrade.

VZW reps are even encouraging people to play the upgrade line switch/add-a-line-and-transfer-phone-to-another line to get people who want to keep their unlimited data plans to buy new phones.  I don't know how long that will last, but many of their customers are playing the game as we speak (type).  It's an artificial boost to VZW's subscriber base, so they look better to the investors.

From the VZW website:

I have unlimited data on my account. Do I need to change to the Share EverythingSM Plan if I want to get a new device?

You’re not required to switch to the Share Everything Plan, but if you do, you won’t be able to keep your unlimited data package. When you upgrade, you can choose from a voice plan with a standalone data package or the Share Everything Plan. If you want to keep unlimited data, you have the option to pay full retail price for a new phone.

Re: Verizon wireless NOT charging for FaceTime over cellular, ATT is losing a customer!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 19, 2012
(0)
ACE - Scholar

Some food for thought--one of AT&T's arguments as to why they can restrict usage of Facetime over cellular in the manner that they plan to do was that Facetime is a "built-in app" and as such, does not fall under "Net Neutrality" rules...that, plus there are other third-party apps (e.g., Skype) that offer similar video chat capabilities over cellular so AT&T believes that they are within their right to limit how Facetime over cellular is used/offered; if that's the case, then why is iMessage allowed over cellular?  It too, like Facetime, is a "built-in app"...yet there is no similar restriction of its use over cellular like how it is/will be with Facetime over cellular...and there are plenty of apps that offer similar chat/texting functions that work without restriction over cellular.

So what gives, AT&T?  And yes, that was a rhetorical question since I don't expect any AT&T representatives to answer that question here in this forum...

Re: Verizon wireless NOT charging for FaceTime over cellular, ATT is losing a customer!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 19, 2012
(0)
ACE - Expert

jane697 wrote:

Some food for thought--one of AT&T's arguments as to why they can restrict usage of Facetime over cellular in the manner that they plan to do was that Facetime is a "built-in app" and as such, does not fall under "Net Neutrality" rules...that, plus there are other third-party apps (e.g., Skype) that offer similar video chat capabilities over cellular so AT&T believes that they are within their right to limit how Facetime over cellular is used/offered; if that's the case, then why is iMessage allowed over cellular?  It too, like Facetime, is a "built-in app"...yet there is no similar restriction of its use over cellular like how it is/will be with Facetime over cellular...and there are plenty of apps that offer similar chat/texting functions that work without restriction over cellular.

So what gives, AT&T?  And yes, that was a rhetorical question since I don't expect any AT&T representatives to answer that question here in this forum...

jane697 wrote:

their choice - they could hve taken the route of verizon, all individual plans are gone, those that are grandfathered can keep them, new customers are required to get shared plans, those customers with grandfathered unlimited plan are required to choose the shared plan if they want a discounted phone, if not then they are required to pay full retail price for the new device.

If you want to blow your data allotment with that app then you want to change your plan, if not continue with wifi connectivitiy. Personnal do video conferencing over cellular with a application that is light years ahead of facetime in fucntionality and quality, been doing it for awhile

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 19, 2012
(0)
Teacher

What I have heard is that you can use facetime on 4g lte. EXCEPT if you have the unlimited grandfathered in plan. If you are grandfathered in with unlimited data you will be punished and not allowed to use. BAHH ATT way of trying to make those unlimited plans disappear

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 19, 2012
(0)
ACE - Expert

topdog417 wrote:

What I have heard is that you can use facetime on 4g lte. EXCEPT if you have the unlimited grandfathered in plan. If you are grandfathered in with unlimited data you will be punished and not allowed to use. BAHH ATT way of trying to make those unlimited plans disappear

You heard wrong - the only plan that facebook can be used on is the shared plan, none of the current tiered plans are authorized to utilize it either. Havs absolutely nothing to do with getting rid of the unlimited plan, although verizon has a pretty acceptable method of making the end user get rid of their grandfathered unlimited plan - unless they have deep pockets and don;t mind spending between 500 - 1000 for a phone upgrade.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 19, 2012
(0)
Teacher
topdog417 wrote:

You heard wrong - the only plan that facebook can be used on is the shared plan, none of the current tiered plans are authorized to utilize it either. Havs absolutely nothing to do with getting rid of the unlimited plan, although verizon has a pretty acceptable method of making the end user get rid of their grandfathered unlimited plan - unless they have deep pockets and don;t mind spending between 500 - 1000 for a phone upgrade.

OK Wingrider so whats the reason unlimited data grandfathered plans can't use Facetime????

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 19, 2012
(0)
Teacher
Could it be to entice you to change to one of the shared plans??? Hmmm

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 20, 2012
(0)
ACE - Scholar

wingrider01 wrote:

topdog417 wrote:

You heard wrong - the only plan that facebook can be used on is the shared plan...

So much for the Facebook integration that's being touted in iOS6...and yes I know it was just a typo on your part but I couldn't help but try to come up with a facetious comment in response to it. :smileywink:

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 20, 2012
(0)
ACE - Expert

jane697 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

topdog417 wrote:

You heard wrong - the only plan that facebook can be used on is the shared plan...

So much for the Facebook integration that's being touted in iOS6...and yes I know it was just a typo on your part but I couldn't help but try to come up with a facetious comment in response to it. :smileywink:

normally call it something else, for as useless as it is, but that would be moderated. Same with all Social "sites" (have another name for them but that would be moderated also). needless to say they are 100 percent blocked

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 21, 2012
(0)
Voyager

I have been a loyal customer for 10 years. I've had a total of 8 lines, 7 at present. Mobile share DOES NOT work for my consumer needs and I'm being penalized for not switching by having restricted access to features of the iphone I purchased. My Verizon and Sprint counterparts now have an advantage over me. So AT&T, what are you going to do about it in order to keep my business! 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 21, 2012
(0)
Tutor

Are there any figures on how much data on average Facetime actually uses?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 9, 2012
(0)
Contributor

I'm so disappointed,... My 91 year old mother uses FaceTime to communicate with me as she cant hear and reads lips. I bought the best plan I could get from AT&T years ago (Unlimited). Now AT&T wants me off the Unlimited Plan by forcing me to change to lower plan for FaceTime.... [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 10, 2012
(0)
Contributor
Apple open FaceTime over cellular for all iPhone 5, but AT&T is the only carrier that block it. That is Way to get more money and greedy. Especially if my data plan is "Unlimited"...

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 9, 2012
(0)
Voyager

This is not fair at all. I hope ATT gets their head on straight soon and allows anyone with a capable phone to be able to FT anytime, anywhere.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 9, 2012
(0)
ACE - Expert

Constance Wynn wrote:

This is not fair at all. I hope ATT gets their head on straight soon and allows anyone with a capable phone to be able to FT anytime, anywhere.

they just altered it - shared and tiered plans can do it now. Would not hold my breath for unlimited since it is a discontinued plan and they rarely(if ever) add features to them

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 9, 2012
(0)
ACE - Expert

HectorAponte67 wrote:
Apple open FaceTime over cellular for all iPhone 5, but AT&T is the only carrier that block it. That is Way to get more money and greedy. Especially if my data plan is "Unlimited"...

then suggest you head to sprint, you can have your unlimited data and be able to do facetime they are the only one of the three that have active unlimited data plans

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 9, 2012
(0)
Voyager

I would like to see that from ATT. All I can find on this matter is that FT will only be for iPhone 5 users. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 9, 2012
(0)
ACE - Professor
Check the Data services and features forum (I'm not sure that I got the name right). I posted a thread there that has "Thanks AT&T" in the title and I included a link from AT&T's blog where they announced it.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 10, 2012
(0)
ACE - Master

Constance Wynn wrote:

I would like to see that from ATT. All I can find on this matter is that FT will only be for iPhone 5 users. 

This is correct, The phone must support LTE for  FT to work on a tiered data plan.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 10, 2012
(0)
ACE - Scholar

youngjm wrote:

Constance Wynn wrote:

This is correct, The phone must support LTE for  FT to work on a tiered data plan.

LOL, AT&T surely should be commended for "loosening their restriction" on Facetime over cellular usage--not!  I mean, how many LTE-capable devices does AT&T currently offer that are capable of doing Facetime over cellular (yes I know that there is an iPad model that is capable of LTE but let's be real here...how many LTE-capable iPad devices are actually subscribed to AT&T's wireless service?)  Offer it on the tiered data plan...but only if you're using an LTE device?  And if someone's gonna argue that there are "lots and lots" of iPhone 5 users...then why restrict it to just the tiered plans?  I see no reason why unlimited LTE data plan users should be restricted from using Facetime over cellular with an iPhone 5, as far as data usage is concerned--unlimited LTE data plan users get throttled once they go past 5 GB so it's not as if they could possibly overwhelm AT&T's network anyway.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 29, 2012
(0)
Voyager

AT&T doesn't care about its customers. All they care about is the bottom line. After AT&T offered the unlimited data plan they realized they could capitalize on tiered plans where they can charge for overages. Good news though T-mobile is expanding their network and upgrading their sites and most are now compatible for the iPhone 5. This is where the 4 billion dollars given to them from AT&T being used for. AT&T is trying to recuperate this money by billing you for every little thing. T-mobile doe not restrict face time. You can pay one of many on eBay to factory unlock your iPhone and move to T-mobile. My daughter already moved and she loves it, I may be moving soon!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 30, 2012
(0)
Professor
It would be years -- if ever -- before T Mobile's network would be anywhere near "compatible" enough for comparable use of the iPhone. It's an unfortunate fact of life for many that you pay for the products and services you want.

I can only speak for myself, but for the level of service I'm getting, AT&T is worth every penny. The good news is, as you mentioned, there are choices. And varying levels of services/amenities.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 16, 2013
(0)
Employee

Perhaps there is good news for use of Facetime over cellular for those with the unlimited data plan. I found this statement issued by AT&T in response to claims AT&T was blocking Google+ Hangouts video:

All AT&T Mobility customers can use any video chat app over cellular that is not pre-loaded on their device, but which they download from the Internet. For video chat apps that come pre-loaded on devices, we offer all OS and device makers the ability for those apps to work over cellular for our customers who are on Mobile Share, Tiered and soon Unlimited plan customers who have LTE devices. It's up to each OS and device makers to enable their systems to allow pre-loaded video chat apps to work over cellular for our customers on those plans.

Reference article here: http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/15/google-hangouts-video-chat-att/

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 18, 2013
(0)
ACE - Scholar

sandblaster--I hope that (Facetime over cellular for unlimited data plan users) does come to fruition; after all, I don't see how removing that restriction would be an issue for AT&T since unlimited data plan users would be throttled if they go over their "limit" (3 GB for non-LTE, 5 GB for LTE), no matter what they choose to consume their cellular data on.  What makes using Facetime over cellular on an unlimited plan so uniquely different from say, using Netflix or Skype over cellular over the same plan such that AT&T has chosen to not allow Facetime over cellular for unlimited data plan users?  To put things into perspective--that would sorta kinda be like AT&T deciding to not allow those users who don't subscribe to a messaging plan to be able to use iMessage over cellular..and you can bet they probably thought about doing just that, given the proliferation of non-native messaging apps such as iMessage, Textfree, and Google Voice that allow users to message each other without the need to subscribe to a wireless carrier text messaging plan.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 20, 2013
(0)
ACE - Scholar

Update--looks like AT&T is already rolling out Facetime over cellular for LTE Unlimited Plan users...I checked my iPhone 5 just a moment ago and noticed the "Use Cellular Data" for Facetime toggle is now "ON" (I did not previously toggle it to ON since any attempt by me to do that prior to today would have given me the contact AT&T message and subsequently toggle it back to OFF); just for grins I toggled it OFF and then back to ON--no contact AT&T message.

Thanks AT&T!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 20, 2013
(0)
Mentor

I just noticed this as well. I'm thinking it happened with the latest update. My husband is one update behind me and he can not FaceTime over cellular and we both have iPhone 5's 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 21, 2013
(0)
ACE - Professor

I first read this replay about 12 hours ago and I couldn't turn on facetime over cellular then (I tried).  About 10-15 minutes later, I had to restart my iPhone and afterwards, I happened to check again, and at that time I noticed that facetime over cellular was on.  I turned it off then back on with no issues.  I have an iPhone 5 and still have my unlimited data plan from when I got my first Blackberry about 2 years before I got an iPhone 3G.

Of course, the other comments are correct in that using facetime over cellular is just going to make it so that we hit that 5GB throttling cap sooner...

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 21, 2013
(0)
ACE - Scholar

Slightly off-topic, but IMHO AT&T should roll out tethering/hotspot at no additional charge to individual tiered and LTE Unlimited data plan users as well.  Now before you ask as to why should AT&T bother doing that, keep in mind that initially, Facetime over cellular was made available (at no additional charge) only to Mobile Share plan users...then it was made available--again, at no additional charge--to individual tiered data plan users...and now it's being rolled out to LTE Unlimited data plan users--here too, at no additional charge.  I mean, what exactly does AT&T have to lose by offering tethering at no additional charge to individual tiered and LTE unlimited plan users since tethering is already offered at no additional charge for Mobile Share plan users?  If users of either of these two groups choose use up their allotted data bucket from a combination of surfing/video streaming/tethering, then they would automatically either get charged another $10/GB or throttled, respectively.  Sure, AT&T may lose revenue from no longer selling a la carte tethering plans to individual tiered data plan users...but look at it this way--AT&T could have easily elected to make Facetime over cellular an a la carte feature available at an additional cost to non-Mobile Share plan users but they chose not to do so.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 21, 2013
(0)
Employee

jane697 wrote:

Slightly off-topic, but IMHO AT&T should roll out tethering/hotspot at no additional charge to individual tiered and LTE Unlimited data plan users as well.  Now before you ask as to why should AT&T bother doing that, keep in mind that initially, Facetime over cellular was made available (at no additional charge) only to Mobile Share plan users...then it was made available--again, at no additional charge--to individual tiered data plan users...and now it's being rolled out to LTE Unlimited data plan users--here too, at no additional charge.  I mean, what exactly does AT&T have to lose by offering tethering at no additional charge to individual tiered and LTE unlimited plan users since tethering is already offered at no additional charge for Mobile Share plan users?  If users of either of these two groups choose use up their allotted data bucket from a combination of surfing/video streaming/tethering, then they would automatically either get charged another $10/GB or throttled, respectively.  Sure, AT&T may lose revenue from no longer selling a la carte tethering plans to individual tiered data plan users...but look at it this way--AT&T could have easily elected to make Facetime over cellular an a la carte feature available at an additional cost to non-Mobile Share plan users but they chose not to do so.

I happen to agree with you but I can't see this happening for unlimited plan owners for the simple reason right now it is only available on one individual plan, $50/5GB. If they make it available to the 3GB plan owners, they would end up still paying $50 if they actually used 5GB but if you make it available to unlimited plan (on LTE) owners, they would only be paying $30 even if they used 5GB (I am assuming that facetime over cellular won't work once throttling kicks in). Of course another alternative would be to lower the throttling limit to 3GB for LTE users but I doubt many people would accept that to get hotspot but I'd be willing to give up my unlimited plan if hotspot was included at no extra charge on the 3GB plan.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.