Posted Aug 17, 2012
FaceTime Over Cellular Data with Mobile Share Only!

So AT&T won't charge for FaceTime over cellular data, but will restrict it to Mobile Share customers only.  What are your thoughts?

http://www.phonedog.com/2012/08/17/at-t-won-t-charge-fee-for-facetime-over-cellular-but-only-mobile-share-customers-can-use-it/

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
211 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(211)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 21, 2012
(0)

macinlover wrote:

I've been using AT&T as my cell phone service provider for more than 10 years, but I'm seriously considering moving to Sprint, if AT&T limits FaceTime calling to shared data plans.

There more about this here: AT&T's FaceTime limits might conflict with FCC rules | Mobile - CNET News

I understand your frustration about AT&T not allowing Facetime over cellular on existing data plans. However, there are still many free third party apps like Skype, Tango, and Google+ Hangouts that allow you to make video calls over your existing data plan.

Re: AT&T's FaceTime over cellular policy. Is it time to move to Sprint?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 21, 2012
(0)
drumn_bass, I believe Flsteve88 is referring to Facetime over Cellular. It is a new feature that is being added to the iPhone 4S and soon to be released iPhone. In the past you had to be connected to wifi in order to Facetime another iphone user. Now, you will be able to Facetime anywhere by using with wifi or your cellular data service. AT&T has announced that they will be blocking the feature for all customers unless they subscribe to the new Mobile Share data plans.

Re: WiFi over Cellular

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 21, 2012
(0)

fredflyer wrote:

As I was saying...

From USA TODAY:

AT&T's limit of FaceTime may violate rules

http://usat.ly/TRXWpC

key word is MIGHT, it is all speculation based on what appears to be a misconception - att is not charging to use facetime, they are limiting it to the new shared data plans, no different then them limiting tethering to the crrent 50.00 a month 5gb plan.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: FaceTime Over Cellular Data with Mobile Share Only!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 21, 2012
(0)

wingrider01 wrote:

fredflyer wrote:

As I was saying...

From USA TODAY:

key word is MIGHT, it is all speculation based on what appears to be a misconception - att is not charging to use facetime, they are limiting it to the new shared data plans, no different then them limiting tethering to the crrent 50.00 a month 5gb plan.

Why try to defend this?  Facetime over wireless is no different than video skype just that one app is Apple and one is from Microsoft!  This is a bad call on ATT's part!  

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 21, 2012
(0)

renewedpurpose wrote:
drumn_bass, I believe Flsteve88 is referring to Facetime over Cellular. It is a new feature that is being added to the iPhone 4S and soon to be released iPhone. In the past you had to be connected to wifi in order to Facetime another iphone user. Now, you will be able to Facetime anywhere by using with wifi or your cellular data service. AT&T has announced that they will be blocking the feature for all customers unless they subscribe to the new Mobile Share data plans.

This was my thought too!  Check out the other thread on this topic already!

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:

Re: WiFi over Cellular

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 21, 2012
(0)

this is different than blocking tethering.

1.  Tethering was never allowed on devices... Regardless on white smartphone/dumbphone you had.  PAM was required to 'share' data.  I personally disliked the idea, as i paid for the data.

2.  This is limiting a specific app on one OS, while not performing the same to its equivalent.  Kind like saying you can share data all you want using this app, provided by Microsoft, but not the one provided by Apple unless you buy a shared data plan.

3. Are those on laptop only plans also banned from FaceTime on their laptops?

What's next?  I need a YouTube and Facebook plan?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 22, 2012
(0)

youngjm wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

fredflyer wrote:

As I was saying...

From USA TODAY:

Why try to defend this?  Facetime over wireless is no different than video skype just that one app is Apple and one is from Microsoft!  This is a bad call on ATT's part!  

Since none of us are aware of what the situation and corporate level discussion that where had on this decisions the simple fact of stating "this is a bad call" is opinin. Bottom line is thier network, their rules.

Not sure why you mention wireless - wifi facetime is not the thrust of this discussion, this is concerning facetime over the carrier owned cellular network, which the final decision on what can and cannot be done over is up to the provider of the network. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 22, 2012
(0)

I have used Facetime maybe three times since Ive had my iPhone but this is ridiculous.  Im tired of paying almost $200/month for service and not being able to use the data I pay for how I want.   I was looking forward to getting the new iPhone since my contract is up on my current iPhone.  With this news, that new iPhone will be contracted with a different company.  When my 4S contract is up, goodbye ATT for good.  Your CEO is an i d i o t when it comes to KEEPING customers.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 22, 2012
(0)

A&TT has single handedly caused more bad PR with this announcement than anything else I can remember they are in every forum and tech news in a bad way wonder whats going through the shareholders and board of directors minds as they are reading all the discontent.

The Sprint camp must be getting ready to break out the champagne.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 22, 2012
(0)

Besides tethering, what other 'valid' and approved applicaiton has AT&T banned from use over its network ?

a) Tethering (on all platforms/devices).

AT&T has picked a specific application that is approved by vendor and blocked it if users do not migrate to a more expensive data plan (pay-to-play).

FaceTime's competitor applications (Skype) are not limited this way.

While AT&T 'owns' the network, picking protocols and applications to be allowed to be used without 'paying more'  (we're already paying per GB - I don't see an issue).

AT&T's method of discrimination brings up new lows on how AT&T is attempting to recoup costs of owning an Apple product.  It has also been reported that AT&T doesn't exactly have the Apple products 'promoted' (I guess they don't need it), as there's little profit to be made on Apple products vs. Android or MS WinPhone, and this is their feeble attempt at recouping cost.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 22, 2012
(0)

I will switch to another carrier if AT&T inssits on charge us for FaceTime.  I believe other carrier will behappy to have more iPhone users!

Re: Charge for Facetime

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 22, 2012
(0)
AT&T it is not fair that you will not let users with unlimited data plans to use FaceTime over the cellular network. I have the unlimited data plan and when ios6 comes out I want to use FaceTime over cellular, but I can't since if I want use it I have switch to a new data plan which means if I do that I will loose my unlimited data which I do not want loose so that is not fair. I have be a At&t customers for 4 years and you decision on FaceTime over cellular is making some of your customer upset and angry. The reason I stuck with you was I did not want to loose my data plan

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 22, 2012
(0)

bigelarkin wrote:
AT&T it is not fair that you will not let users with unlimited data plans to use FaceTime over the cellular network. I have the unlimited data plan and when ios6 comes out I want to use FaceTime over cellular, but I can't since if I want use it I have switch to a new data plan which means if I do that I will loose my unlimited data which I do not want loose so that is not fair. I have be a At&t customers for 4 years and you decision on FaceTime over cellular is making some of your customer upset and angry. The reason I stuck with you was I did not want to loose my data plan

so when you blow through the 3gb thottle limit by using a couple of hours of face time you will not be back here complaining about it?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 22, 2012
(0)
AT&T is only letting people that switch to there new mobile share data plan to use FaceTime over cellular network. They will not let anyone else use until they change their data plan and to me people that still have the unlimited data plan will not probally switch since they do not want to loose their unlimited data plan

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 22, 2012
(0)

Good luck with Sprint.  There data speeds are so slow you wont be able to use facetime or skype or any of them. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 22, 2012
(0)

wingrider01 wrote:

bigelarkin wrote:

so when you blow through the 3gb thottle limit by using a couple of hours of face time you will not be back here complaining about it?

The math I saw said that to use 3GB of data would take over 17 hours of facetime over cellular based on observed usage of 3mb/minute for video.  They actually predict usage per minute could be less.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 22, 2012
(0)

youngjm wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

bigelarkin wrote:

The math I saw said that to use 3GB of data would take over 17 hours of facetime over cellular based on observed usage of 3mb/minute for video.  They actually predict usage per minute could be less.

that was calculated on a standard iphone, add the new higher res screen that is due out next month on the 5 with the higher res camera and those figures could easily be exceeded.

Another fact - that is only figuring using the data for facetime, not add in the estimate for pandora, youtube, hulu and every other cellular data intensive application that the average user runs in the day to day utilization. Bottom line, facetime is data intensive and there will be wails of anguish when people blow through their allocations and get throttled or charged for addition data.

As far as estimated, the figures I saw where based on actual usage on a JB'd pair of iphone's that allowed facetime over cellular

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 22, 2012
(0)

wingrider01 wrote:

youngjm wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

bigelarkin wrote:

that was calculated on a standard iphone, add the new higher res screen that is due out next month on the 5 with the higher res camera and those figures could easily be exceeded.

Another fact - that is only figuring using the data for facetime, not add in the estimate for pandora, youtube, hulu and every other cellular data intensive application that the average user runs in the day to day utilization. Bottom line, facetime is data intensive and there will be wails of anguish when people blow through their allocations and get throttled or charged for addition data.

As far as estimated, the figures I saw where based on actual usage on a JB'd pair of iphone's that allowed facetime over cellular

Regardless of the number the bottom line is this is a bad policy and not worth defedning.  Symantics asside!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 22, 2012
(0)

youngjm wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

youngjm wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

bigelarkin wrote:

Regardless of the number the bottom line is this is a bad policy and not worth defedning.  Symantics asside!

not defending or attacking the policy, corporate policy, no mater what corporation is corporate policy, just pointing out that this app is data intensvie. It should be place on the current teired plans also, but the unlimited plan is grandfathered and changes are rarely done to then except to sunset them

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 22, 2012
(0)

AT&T limited more features on the iPhone unless we pay more for them (even though the costs are not justified); say it isn't so??

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 22, 2012
(0)
I just signed up with ATT and iPHone 4s Feb/March. I have 3gb data, 450 min w/ rollover, unlmited text and M2M. Do you think I will be grandfathered in?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 22, 2012
(0)

The customers that are still here

a) Already went through the throttlegate scandal

b) Will be notified when they hit their limits

Shared data plans cost more for less data for many people, and the overages cost more.

Eg.  Standard voice + data = 30+$39.99 = $69.99 for 3GB, $10/GB extra

Shared data data + voice/txt = $40 + $45 =$85 for 1GB, $15/GB extra.

Shared data data + voice/txt = $70 + $40 =$110 for 4GB, $15/GB extra.

Regardless of plan, people can/will hit overages if they wish.

All users have been aware of overages/throttle since AT&T implemented throttlegate, this will not change, so I don't see the issue.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 22, 2012
(0)

All plans with the exception of grandfathered have been tiered.

3G / 5G with overages

or

'shared'

Forcing people to change their dataplan for a data application should not be acceptable.

There are 2 items that AT&T is keeping from most users.

1.  Many areas AT&T has not fully deployed HPSA+ with HSUPA being active.   This is VERY visible on speed tests in SoCal.  I may be able to obtain 14Mbps on the download but only 1Mbps on the upload in MOST areas.  There area few areas that I typically hit 2-3.4Mbps on the upload - but those are not common.  That being said, AT&T does not have its uplink capacity up to par in many areas.

2.  AT&T (and others) have so low profit on the iPhone, that they're finding other revenue streams for this device, and not promoting it (doesn't need promotion really) over Android, WinPhone, BlackBerry, or just about anything else.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 22, 2012
(0)

Time to unlock and take my iPhone to T-Mobile.

Yes - they are running '4G' on 1900MHz here, so it will work.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 22, 2012
(0)

That still doesn't solve the issue of AT&T starting to become an application gatekeeper at the OS level.

Internet is Internet... just because they want you to pay more (toll) doesn't mean it should be allowed.  I suspect that future versions may have a replacement for YouTube baked in, and require a toll as well, what's next, email ?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 23, 2012
(0)

FallenAnjel wrote:
I just signed up with ATT and iPHone 4s Feb/March. I have 3gb data, 450 min w/ rollover, unlmited text and M2M. Do you think I will be grandfathered in?

grandfathered into what? The last report is that facetime will only be allowed onthe shared data plan, so there is nothing for you to be grandfathered into. You want facetime, you need to switch your plan

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 23, 2012
(0)

formercanuck wrote:

Time to unlock and take my iPhone to T-Mobile.

Yes - they are running '4G' on 1900MHz here, so it will work.

good luck at your new carrier. Hopefully your 2 year commitment is up on your iphone so that you can get it unlocked

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 23, 2012
(0)

formercanuck wrote:

The customers that are still here

a) Already went through the throttlegate scandal

b) Will be notified when they hit their limits

Shared data plans cost more for less data for many people, and the overages cost more.

Eg.  Standard voice + data = 30+$39.99 = $69.99 for 3GB, $10/GB extra

Shared data data + voice/txt = $40 + $45 =$85 for 1GB, $15/GB extra.

Shared data data + voice/txt = $70 + $40 =$110 for 4GB, $15/GB extra.

Regardless of plan, people can/will hit overages if they wish.

All users have been aware of overages/throttle since AT&T implemented throttlegate, this will not change, so I don't see the issue.

"the customers that are still here" - must be a lot more then what you think, they hit 105.2 million subscribers(up from 1.3 million) at fiscal end quarter 2 in addition to the lowest churn rate in the industry. EBITDA service margin was 45.0 percent, compared with 41.1 percent in the second quarter of 2011.

Your numbers do not take into account all facets of the new shared data plans, your pricing comparisions are missing a lot of factors that are available in the new plans. While that shared data plan is not for everyone - which is why, unlike verizon ATT still gives the consumers a choice in shared or normal plans, there is a segment that will benefit from the plans. The changes need to be evaluated by the end user by using the tools available to fit their needs, a blanket observation as what you make is meaningless to most consumers.

Personally on the multiple family plans that I run, I can save money by combining two of the plans into one and save a large amount of money in the overall picture, especially being able to condense that various Ipad accounts that I have for my family into one of the shared plans. I will however retain the other family plan becasue there is no cost savings on that.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 23, 2012
(0)

sandblaster wrote:

Here is the actual statement released by AT&T: "AT&T will offer FaceTime over Cellular as an added benefit of our new Mobile Share data plans, which were created to meet customers’ growing data needs at a great value. With Mobile Share, the more data you use, the more you save. FaceTime will continue to be available over Wi-Fi for all our customers."

Just want to point out that nowhere in this statement does it say that "only" mobile share plans will support Facetime over cellular nor does it state that FaceTime over cellular will be blocked or disallowed on other data plans. If you remember, several weeks ago many were speculating that AT&T was planning to charge extra for FaceTime over cellular. The above statement only verifies that Facetime over cellular will not incur any extra charge for those on a shared mobile plan. What happens on other data plans could still be anything from not allowed to additional charge to fully supported at no extra charge. Unless a more definitive statement is released, we won't really know until iOS 6 is released.

You're right, but the fact that they explicitly mention "Mobile Share" instead of simply just saying "all qualified plans" clearly implies that AT&T is definitely thinking about whether to restrict Facetime over cellular usage to just Mobile Share plans.

Re: FaceTime Over Cellular Data with Mobile Share Only! Customers are NOT happy

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 23, 2012
(0)

wingrider01 wrote:

youngjm wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

bigelarkin wrote:

Perhaps, but then again that statement would apply to just those users who wind up purchasing the purported 5th-gen iPhone; last I recall, I did not hear/read anything that would indicate that Facetime over cellular would work only on a 5th-gen iPhone...not unless you have some magic crystal ball that's telling you that the only folks who would choose to use Facetime over cellular are/will be using 5th-gen iPhones.

LOL at your "due out next month on the 5" comment--aren't you one of those folks who love to parrot the "it ain't true unless Apple says so" line whenever someone posts rumors about when then next iPhone will be released?