For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
walkerjlc's profile

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

Tuesday, September 9th, 2014 8:56 PM

Closed

Early Upgrade iPhone 6

I am trying to find out more infromation concerning the early upgrade eligiblity for the iPhone 6.  I have 2 options I think?  1. upgrading using the AT&T Next plan where I can have $37 added to my monthly bill for 12 months ($24 for 24 months) or 2. I am eligible for an early upgrade on 9/21/14 for $449.  If I wait for the 9/21/14 date I would not be able to do the early preorder on 9/12/14.  Does anyone know if AT&T will change these dates for the customers that got upgraded on the release date for last years Iphone 5s?

Scholar

• 

249 Messages

10 years ago

You'll be eligible for a early upgrade discount if you wait until 9/21/14.  If you want the full 2-year discount, you will have to wait until late next year.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

I am wondering this as well as I have typically been able to do an early upgrade since Apple's release dates vary within a few weeks and I always buy at launch.  Really don't want to do Next.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Apple is going to lose lots of Hype if AT&T doesnt open this up to all of the dedicated annual upgraders!  When I waited in  line at my Apple store for the 5s it was mostly AT&T users.  I guess its time to look at switching carriers?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

The other issue I was thinking about... If we get pushed out days or weeks WHEN there are supply issues our new early upgrade date will move out as well and we will be in the same situation with another new iphone release next year....

Professor

• 

1.7K Messages

10 years ago

Mentioned in other threads.  It is unlikely that AT&T will adjust eligibility dates.

Professor

• 

1.7K Messages

10 years ago

@GeekBoy wrote:

By looking at the NEXT page on the AT&T web site, corporate discounts do *not* apply to NEXT hardware purchases, only AT&T cellular services.

See footnote #4:

4Purchases of smartphones via AT&T Next are not eligible for employee discounts. Employee discounts are for the wireless service only.

on this page: https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/next.html

Thanks for confirming my earlier post.

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

10 years ago

There are several ways to get the new iPhone 6 or 6+

When someone upgrades on the day of the release on 9/21/13 for the iPhone 5s for example.  Everyone should get an early upgrade price after exactly one year form that date.  In the iPhone 6 or 6+ case it goes from $649 for the iPhone 6 16G to $449 (this price only drops down on EXACTLY the halfway point of your 2 year contract) on 9/21/14 (in my case) and it goes down even further to $199 on 9/1/2015 (AT&T usually gives their customers a little leeway when their at the end of the 2 year contract). I usually sell my model of phone (which is the latest model for that year) to another company, whoever offers me the most $ for it. Best Buy for example, gave me $325 for my iPhone 5 last year and my upgrade price at the time of the release was $400 (because I had met or passed my halfway point of my 2 year contract) I only had to pay $80 out of my pocket for the iPhone 5S.  I do it this way because I like to have the newest version of the iPhone.  Also it makes more sense to do it this way because it cost you less money upfront.  I would like to keep doing it this way instead of the AT&T Next program. This year I will not be able to do it because the release date is 2 days earlier than the halfway point of my contract.  I will have to wait the extra 2 days if I don't want to do the AT&T Next program or the AT&T mobile shared upgrade program becasue Apple is releasing it two days earlier this year compared to iPhone 5s release date.    

This is what I was told via a AT&T Customer Service Rep.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Ya this is just messed up..... 2 freaking days!!  I have actually enjoyed waiting inline for these devices...... now AT&T is taking that away from us over 2 FREAKING DAYS!!  UGH

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

My recommendation for an early upgrade to i6 from i5s is to add a 2nd line for the i6 as a pre-order on 9/12 and ETF the i5s once you receive the i6 in the mail.  If you upgraded to the i5s on 9/20/2013, then your ETF is calculated based on 11 full months ($325 - 11 x $10 = $215) plus the full monthly charge for the last month. Since very few people have a bill less than $35, it will cost a bit more to upgrade this way than waiting until 9/20 but you will probably avoid the 3-4 week wait if you don't pre-order.

Let me know what you think...

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

I'm a serial annual iPhone upgrader. AT&T used to rock and give me the annual ability to upgrade to every single iPhone since 2007. Until now..... I'm stuck on a 10/8/14 date because i couldn't get a 5 on launch day last year when I camped out. 1-MONTH!!!!?!?!? I've pleaded, tweeted, stayed on a phone for an hour with an AT&T rep seeking guidance. But no budging?!?! No I don't want NEXT. I want my 10/8 price on 9/12...   --> Bummed out Early Adopter

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.