Posted Mar 24, 2014
1:18:09 PM
View profile
[Closed] iPhone Unlocking Questions and Discussion

How can I get my iPhone unlocked?

How long does this process take?

What are the requirements?

These and other related questions will be answered in this thread. You can click on Go To Solution at the bottom of this post to get all the information you may need. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here and our Community will be happy to help!

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

For account specific help, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Dec 9, 2014 1:13:25 PM
(0)
Community Manager

Thanks afecu!

Hello everyone, the device unlock policies have changed, and we started a new thread with updated info. Please use click HERE to see the new device unlock policy and please feel free to ask any related questions in there.

This topic is now closed.

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
565 replies
(9) Me too
(9) Me too
Replies
(565)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 3, 2014 5:20:29 PM
(0)
Tutor
I bought an Iphone 5s in december with a prepaid plan and I'm not a USA resident but I just got to Brazil right now.

Now I wanna use my Iphone and it's locked and I can't understand why, because when I bought the sellers told me that it was unlocked and I could go to Brazil and use anytime nobody told me about 6 months. I paid more for it $ 700 for an Iphone and now do I need to wait more 2 months to use ? Why ? Nobody told me that ! I was misled !

Re: iPhone Unlocking Questions and Discussion

31 of 566 (2,287 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 3, 2014 7:53:54 PM
(0)
Professor

Gustavosf16 wrote:
I bought an Iphone 5s in december with a prepaid plan and I'm not a USA resident but I just got to Brazil right now.

Now I wanna use my Iphone and it's locked and I can't understand why, because when I bought the sellers told me that it was unlocked and I could go to Brazil and use anytime nobody told me about 6 months. I paid more for it $ 700 for an Iphone and now do I need to wait more 2 months to use ? Why ? Nobody told me that ! I was misled !

Your issue is with your seller.  AT&T has no dog in your hunt.

32 of 566 (2,267 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 3, 2014 8:59:58 PM
(0)
Tutor
I don't think so. Isn't there another way to fix this problem ? Any e-mail that I can talk to at&t ? Because I paid an unlocked price. Will I need to wait more 2 months to use my iphone ?

33 of 566 (2,260 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2014 3:42:58 AM
(0)
Professor

Gustavosf16 wrote:
I don't think so. Isn't there another way to fix this problem ? Any e-mail that I can talk to at&t ? Because I paid an unlocked price. Will I need to wait more 2 months to use my iphone ?

AT&T's requirements for unlocking a phone on a prepaid plan or GoPhone is that it be active at least 6 months.  How much you paid for the phone is not a consideration.  AT&T only sells locked phones, and it sounds like you bought a no contract phone from them.  Only Apple sells unlocked iPhones.

34 of 566 (2,238 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2014 6:30:46 AM
(0)
Master

Gustavosf16 wrote:

ATT provides the online form at the top of this page for you to submit your request to.  There are also ATT customer service folks here who you can send a a private message to.  But keep in mind that you probably will need to wait for your six month window to be up.

While you think you issue is with ATT, your issue IS with the seller.  You bought the iPhone from them and yes they may have misled you and it is wrong but ATT cannot easily control that.  When you do reach out to an ATT rep here, provide them with the information about the seller and they may be able to do something behind the scenes so others do not have the same problem.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

35 of 566 (2,219 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2014 6:33:29 AM
(0)
Master

ingridmichels wrote:

Good evening, I got my mom an iphone 5 imported from the United States, but it came locked by AT & T and I need an email to send the data to request unblocking the IMEI and power enable it in Brazil.

I await the return.

Thanks.

Ingrid Michels

ATT provide a form at the top of this forum for you to fill out a request.  If you are not currently or have not been in the past an ATT customer, there is nothing they will do for you!  You may need to sell that iPhone and buy one that is designed fo the network you intend to use the iPhone on.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:

Re: Email support

36 of 566 (2,216 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2014 10:31:58 AM
(0)
Contributor

I paid full price of my iphone, and I used this phone more than one year with ATT network. Now I'm in China, so I want to unlock the phone. I tried use online request, but it said the information is not matched. I didn't have the SSN, so I chooed GoPhone. I don't know why it doesn't work. My phone is no service now, so I couldn't call anyone, and I also couldn't use other carrier's SIM card. Please help me!

37 of 566 (2,200 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2014 12:46:40 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

If you haven't entered the proper information into the unlock request, it will be rejected.  Unless it is approved, you will not be able to complete the unlock so you won't be able to use it on any other carrier's network.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

38 of 566 (2,188 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2014 2:41:37 PM
(0)
Employee
Please make sure you are putting the name of the account holder for first name/last name. The passcode also trips some people up. Please make sure you have that all in order.
-Alex

39 of 566 (2,173 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2014 7:08:32 PM
(0)
Contributor

I enter all of information that I think it's right, but I'm not sure which one is proper to your system and I can't check that.

40 of 566 (2,152 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2014 4:14:11 PM
(0)
Employee

Questions:

Has anyone noticed phones being re-locked after updates?

Will it lock to other carriers if a non AT&T sim card is in it?

Will it only lock phones that were formerly AT&T phones?

If formerly unlocked AT&T phones are being relocked, doesn't a basic restore work? In theory the unlock status would be saved on Apple's servers, I would think.

-Alex

41 of 566 (2,119 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2014 8:01:10 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Questions:

Has anyone noticed phones being re-locked after updates?

Will it lock to other carriers if a non AT&T sim card is in it?

Will it only lock phones that were formerly AT&T phones?

Once the phone is white listed by Apple, it does not re-lock after an update. The only way I can see this happening is if the carrier didn't approve the unlock.

It also will not lock if another SIM is on the device, that's the purpose of the unlocking process. :smileyhappy:

All AT&T devices are locked to the carrier. Once it's unlocked, you are free to use it on any carrier without the fear of it being locked. Same scenario goes for all carriers but keep in mind it will not work on a CDMA carrier.

~Sunshine :smileyhappy:
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

42 of 566 (2,102 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 6, 2014 9:36:33 AM
(0)
Employee

I've just talked to a couple customers in the last several months who both said that they had brought in an unlocked phone, and it had become locked. Their unlock requests were denied due to lack of verifiable documentation that the phone's were authorized to be unlocked.

The first time made sense to me, customer had gotten a replacement phone through apple, whichhad been locked, despite turned-in-phone not being, but the second customer didn't indicate indicate any reason why it would've been re-locked.

Maybe the second customer had it jailbroken, and just hadn't wanted to fess up  to it.

Either, thanks for the reply Rayosun, I just had wanted to know if it was a common problem.

-Alex

43 of 566 (2,077 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 7, 2014 6:28:15 AM
(0)
Contributor

Hello all!

So I currently have a Windows phone, and would like to upgrade to an iPhone 5s. The only problem is that I also am going to be moving to Australia for a while soon, therefore I will need my phone unlocked. Is there anyway (without the early termination of my contract) to upgrade to the iPhone 5s, and get it unlocked? I would like to keep my AT&T contract, as I will be back in America eventually and will need a phone plan. I just need the phone unlocked for the time I'm away. :smileyhappy: thanks for the help ahead of time.

- Nick

Can I unlock a newly upgraded phone?

44 of 566 (1,988 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 7, 2014 7:33:36 AM
(0)
Professor

Your only option would be to pay full retail for an unlocked phone directly from Apple. You might be able to go the no contract, full retail route with AT&T, but then you would have to go through submitting an unlock request.

Re: Can I unlock a newly upgraded phone?

45 of 566 (1,966 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 7, 2014 8:30:49 AM
(0)
Tutor
Ok but why did I pay the full price ? What's the difference if the both are locked ? And I'd like a link or an e-mail for a direct contact because I'm looking for and I can't find. Thank you.

46 of 566 (2,044 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 7, 2014 9:53:18 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
There is a difference between paying full price and unlocked. ONLY Apple sells the unlocked version. If you did not buy from Apple and specify the unlocked version, you did not get the unlocked version. By paying full price, you paid the unsubsidized price of the phone that didn't require a contract but will still an AT&T version. The box that the phone came in should have stated whether it was an AT&T phone or not.
You need to take that up with the people that sold you the phone. They are the ones that misled you.
Was it an AT&T store or an authorized reseller?

47 of 566 (2,035 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 7, 2014 10:52:14 AM
(0)
Tutor
It was in a att store, but it was in december and I have no idea who sold me. But I paid a prepaid plan and they say that I need to wait 6 months. Ok, but I don't need pay for 6 months right ? I need to wait more 2 months but I don't need to refill my plan these 2 months, I do ?

48 of 566 (2,026 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 7, 2014 6:01:31 PM
(0)
Expert

Gustavosf16 wrote:
It was in a att store, but it was in december and I have no idea who sold me. But I paid a prepaid plan and they say that I need to wait 6 months. Ok, but I don't need pay for 6 months right ? I need to wait more 2 months but I don't need to refill my plan these 2 months, I do ?

the account is required to be active for 6 months so yes you have to pay for it

Postpaid Phones and Tablets with no Service Commitment: Account has been active for at least sixty days and is in good standing (i.e., it has no past due amount or unpaid balance owed AT&T).

49 of 566 (1,998 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 7, 2014 6:19:27 PM
(0)
Mentor

"Postpaid Phones and Tablets with no Service Commitment: Account has been active for at least sixty days and is in good standing (i.e., it has no past due amount or unpaid balance owed AT&T)."

Uhhh, I think 60 days is two months, not six months...

50 of 566 (1,996 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 7, 2014 8:21:46 PM
(0)
Contributor

I'm on 2 year contract now.

Is there a way for me to unlock my devices?

I'm going abdoad for couple weeks and need to have local number while being there.

I have no intention to leave at&t.

Is there a way around the contract?

Can I pay termination fee to become eligible, but keep the service and the number?

Unlocking while on contract

51 of 566 (2,011 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 7, 2014 8:35:03 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
I don't think so. They have specific requirements for unlocking.
the only way to get the phone unlocked is to complete the contract. You can't pay a termination fee just to get the phone unlocked.

Re: Unlocking while on contract

52 of 566 (2,007 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 8, 2014 8:54:26 AM
(0)
Community Manager

Richmond Dan wrote:

"Postpaid Phones and Tablets with no Service Commitment: Account has been active for at least sixty days and is in good standing (i.e., it has no past due amount or unpaid balance owed AT&T)."

Uhhh, I think 60 days is two months, not six months...

It's 60 days of active service for Postpaid accounts or 6 months for Prepaid.

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

53 of 566 (1,966 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 8, 2014 1:51:48 PM
(0)
Mentor

Thanks!  I didn't make the distinction...

54 of 566 (1,954 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 8, 2014 10:02:54 PM
(0)
Contributor
AT&T chat support told me earlier today that an AT&T "branded" phone, even if fully paid for, has to be active and in good standing for 60 days before they will honor an unlock request. Because I want unlock flexibility from day one, I had to order my new HTC One M8 as an unlocked model directly from HTC.

Re: Can I unlock a newly upgraded phone?

55 of 566 (1,934 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 8, 2014 11:15:57 PM
(0)
Voyager
The iphone 4S that was denied an unlock in a current account, in good standing, was purchased in Feb of 2012 as an upgrade in an AT&T store and rwplace undwr warranty by Apple in Sept. 2012. Since then, the line upgraded/renewed contract in February or March of 2012 with an I Phone 5S. The denial says the phone is still under contract, but it is not. How to resolve this? I have the Apple paperwork still from the replacement....

56 of 566 (1,933 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 8, 2014 11:20:14 PM
(0)
Voyager
Sorry...need to correct my post. The line upgraded February or March of 2014 NOT 2012.

57 of 566 (1,935 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 9, 2014 5:33:16 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Contact AT&T customer service or private message ATTDmitriyCM (his post is a few up from yours). They will have to look into the issue.

58 of 566 (1,914 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 9, 2014 5:53:29 AM
(0)
Voyager
Thanks.

59 of 566 (1,911 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 9, 2014 9:06:41 AM
(0)
Professor

I have a 4s on a line that's been out of contract for about a month and I haven't gotten around to upgrading yet. I'll likely be taking a trip overseas later this year, so I submitted an unlock request. Within minutes I received the confirmation email that the request was approved. All I have to do is wait until tomorrow to finish the process. Simple as can be.

60 of 566 (1,897 Views)