Posted Nov 18, 2011
10:00:57 AM
Can I keep my unlimited iPhone data plan if I upgrade to a FamilyTalk plan?

Hello,

I currently have a single-user plan for my iPhone that has grandfathered unlimited data. I plan to upgrade to the 4S, but am thinking about also keeping my old 4 on my account.

I understand that my unlimited data plan will follow me to the 4S, but will I still be able to keep it if I add my old 4 to my account? I don't mind if the old 4 can't share my 4S' unlimited data. I just want to be sure that I won't lose unlimited data for my 4S by upgrading to a FamilyTalk plan.

Thanks!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Nov 18, 2011 4:29:55 PM
(0)
Employee
Here the steps to take. First, do your upgrade to the 4s. As noted, you will be able to keep unlimited data. Next, go to an AT&T store with your old phone and tell them you want to add a line to your account and make it a family plan and that you already have the phone for the new line. They will change your account to a family plan, add the new line, add the data plan (since you are using your old iPhone) and give you a sim for the new line. None of this will change the unlimited data you have on your existing line.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Accepted Solution

Can I keep my unlimited iPhone data plan if I upgrade to a FamilyTalk plan?

15 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(15)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 18, 2011 10:07:25 AM
(0)
Professor
Yes you can keep your UNLIMITED data. I upgraded to a 4S 10/15/11 when apple did the upgrrade they asked me if I wanted to keep unlimited data. When I got home and checked online account manager it said I had 4S unlimited data plan@30$ a month.

Hope this helps

Re: Can I keep my unlimited iPhone data plan if I upgrade to a FamilyTalk plan?

2 of 16 (41,038 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 18, 2011 10:09:27 AM
(0)
Tutor

Hi graphite07,

Did you also upgrade from a single-user plan to a FamilyTalk plan, and keep unlimited data for at least one of your iPhones?

Thanks!

3 of 16 (41,035 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 18, 2011 10:09:58 AM
(0)
Professor
Nope iPhones can not SHARE DATA. And the unlimited will either stay on your iPhone 4 or follow to the 4S. Inorder to keep the iPhone 4 active you need add a line of service. Or start a family plan. But only 1 iPhone will have the unlimited data plan.

4 of 16 (41,036 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 18, 2011 10:12:08 AM
(0)
Professor
I am on a family plan. When I upgraded from the iPhone 4 to tje 4S. My wife has a iPhone 4 she had a 3GS and she to keep her unlimited data. But we pay 30$ a month for each data plan.

5 of 16 (41,033 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 18, 2011 10:16:37 AM
(0)
Tutor

Hi graphite07,

My concern is that I'm not currently on a family plan so I wonder if I can keep my unlimited data (for at least one iPhone) if I upgrade to a family plan.

Thanks again for your help!

6 of 16 (41,029 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Nov 18, 2011 10:19:58 AM
(0)
Professor
Yes you can move to a family plan and keep the unlimited data. Search this forum it has been posted before.

7 of 16 (41,027 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 18, 2011 10:26:39 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by nakamoto on Nov 18, 2011 at 10:28:57 AM

Hi graphite07,

I wasn't having much luck searching the forums for an answer that covers both an upgrade to FamilyTalk, and keeping unlimited data for one iPhone—but your advice has made me feel more comfortable. :smileyhappy: I also found this thread here that explains how the upgrade process from a single line to FamilyTalk works, which implies that my iPhone's grandfathered unlimited data plan shouldn't be affected.

Thanks!

P.S. I would give you a kudo if I knew how to...

[ Edited ]
8 of 16 (41,022 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Nov 18, 2011 4:29:55 PM
(0)
Employee
Here the steps to take. First, do your upgrade to the 4s. As noted, you will be able to keep unlimited data. Next, go to an AT&T store with your old phone and tell them you want to add a line to your account and make it a family plan and that you already have the phone for the new line. They will change your account to a family plan, add the new line, add the data plan (since you are using your old iPhone) and give you a sim for the new line. None of this will change the unlimited data you have on your existing line.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

9 of 16 (40,968 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 18, 2011 5:43:25 PM
(0)
Tutor

Hi sandblaster,

Thanks for detailing the exact steps! I plan to port a number to AT&T from a different operator, but i don't think that should affect the process. Now all I have to do is wait "1–2 weeks" for my iPhone 4S to arrive... :smileytongue:

P.S. I still don't know how to give people kudos here. The Kudos button with the thumbs up doesn't do anything for me.

10 of 16 (40,954 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2011 5:23:32 PM
(0)
Expert

Kudos are rank-related, once you move up a bit, kudos will be granted. :smileywink:

nakamoto wrote:

Hi sandblaster,

P.S. I still don't know how to give people kudos here. The Kudos button with the thumbs up doesn't do anything for me.

11 of 16 (36,229 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2011 5:38:30 PM
(0)
Scholar

I can confirm this for you too t/s. I had the unlimited data on my single line of service. I opened a new line of service for a friend and it did not effect my data plan at all when I converted from the single line plan to the family talk plan. I also added a family member on to my family plan a few months back and it still had no impact on my data plan. Finally, I upgraded to the 4S and still, no changes to my data plan. I have not ported a number over, but given the scenarios I have experienced with no hiccups, I think you are quite safe.

12 of 16 (36,227 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2012 8:48:56 PM
(0)
Contributor

We have two iPhone 4S's.  Both with AT&T. We both have 'grandfathered' data plans with AT&T. We are now married.  We would like to convert from two single plans to a family plan, we would like to keep and pay for both data plans, can this be done?

-Two Lines with unlimited data 'grandfathered'

-Convert to family plan, share what's allowed, pay for Both unlimited data plans?

No new lines, just a conversion. 

?

Thank you. 

Maybe someday when we have kids.

Re: Can I keep unlimited iPhone data plan(s) if I upgrade to a FamilyTalk plan?

13 of 16 (35,908 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 21, 2014 9:48:06 AM
(0)
Contributor

I used to have unlimited data plan but somehow they messed up and couldn't find that I used to have unlimited data plan so they refused to change my data plan back to unlimited data plan. I used to have one because I am deaf so I thought I had it all along until I realized that they changed it without letting me know. This is not right. Should I keep fighting for it or try to find a solution for it or no?

14 of 16 (3,975 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 21, 2014 10:26:13 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

deafkiki wrote:

I used to have unlimited data plan but somehow they messed up and couldn't find that I used to have unlimited data plan so they refused to change my data plan back to unlimited data plan. I used to have one because I am deaf so I thought I had it all along until I realized that they changed it without letting me know. This is not right. Should I keep fighting for it or try to find a solution for it or no?

If they recently changed this on you, you should be able to just take last month's bill in showing that you had the unlimited data.  With that and the fact that you had not authorized any changes they should be able to get you the data plan back.  If it was longer ago than that, you may well be out of luck, since you paying your bill is a form of you accepting the charges as correct.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

15 of 16 (3,965 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 21, 2014 6:56:40 PM
(0)
Master

To get your plan back due to an error, it needs to be corrected ASAP.  How long were you on a different plan?

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

16 of 16 (3,933 Views)