The new iPhone 15
nakamoto's profile

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

Friday, November 18th, 2011 6:00 PM

Can I keep my unlimited iPhone data plan if I upgrade to a FamilyTalk plan?

Hello,

I currently have a single-user plan for my iPhone that has grandfathered unlimited data. I plan to upgrade to the 4S, but am thinking about also keeping my old 4 on my account.

I understand that my unlimited data plan will follow me to the 4S, but will I still be able to keep it if I add my old 4 to my account? I don't mind if the old 4 can't share my 4S' unlimited data. I just want to be sure that I won't lose unlimited data for my 4S by upgrading to a FamilyTalk plan.

Thanks!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

3.4K Messages

12 years ago

Yes you can move to a family plan and keep the unlimited data. Search this forum it has been posted before.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

12 years ago

Here the steps to take. First, do your upgrade to the 4s. As noted, you will be able to keep unlimited data. Next, go to an AT&T store with your old phone and tell them you want to add a line to your account and make it a family plan and that you already have the phone for the new line. They will change your account to a family plan, add the new line, add the data plan (since you are using your old iPhone) and give you a sim for the new line. None of this will change the unlimited data you have on your existing line.

Professor

• 

3.4K Messages

12 years ago

Yes you can keep your UNLIMITED data. I upgraded to a 4S 10/15/11 when apple did the upgrrade they asked me if I wanted to keep unlimited data. When I got home and checked online account manager it said I had 4S unlimited data plan@30$ a month.

Hope this helps

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

12 years ago

Hi graphite07,

Did you also upgrade from a single-user plan to a FamilyTalk plan, and keep unlimited data for at least one of your iPhones?

Thanks!

Professor

• 

3.4K Messages

12 years ago

Nope iPhones can not SHARE DATA. And the unlimited will either stay on your iPhone 4 or follow to the 4S. Inorder to keep the iPhone 4 active you need add a line of service. Or start a family plan. But only 1 iPhone will have the unlimited data plan.

Professor

• 

3.4K Messages

12 years ago

I am on a family plan. When I upgraded from the iPhone 4 to tje 4S. My wife has a iPhone 4 she had a 3GS and she to keep her unlimited data. But we pay 30$ a month for each data plan.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

12 years ago

Hi graphite07,

My concern is that I'm not currently on a family plan so I wonder if I can keep my unlimited data (for at least one iPhone) if I upgrade to a family plan.

Thanks again for your help!

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

12 years ago

Hi graphite07,

I wasn't having much luck searching the forums for an answer that covers both an upgrade to FamilyTalk, and keeping unlimited data for one iPhone—but your advice has made me feel more comfortable. Smiley Happy I also found this thread here that explains how the upgrade process from a single line to FamilyTalk works, which implies that my iPhone's grandfathered unlimited data plan shouldn't be affected.

Thanks!

P.S. I would give you a kudo if I knew how to...

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

12 years ago

Hi sandblaster,

Thanks for detailing the exact steps! I plan to port a number to AT&T from a different operator, but i don't think that should affect the process. Now all I have to do is wait "1–2 weeks" for my iPhone 4S to arrive... Smiley Tongue

P.S. I still don't know how to give people kudos here. The Kudos button with the thumbs up doesn't do anything for me.

Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

12 years ago

Kudos are rank-related, once you move up a bit, kudos will be granted. Smiley Wink

@nakamoto wrote:

Hi sandblaster,

P.S. I still don't know how to give people kudos here. The Kudos button with the thumbs up doesn't do anything for me.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.