The new iPhone 15
smalcom's profile

Scholar

• 

176 Messages

Monday, January 31st, 2011 7:31 PM

AppleCare Extended Warranty

I have a new iPhone 3GS, and was wondering if the AppleCare Warranty extension was a worthwhile option? I paid $49 for the phone and somehow paying $69 for the extension seems crazy (yes, I know the phone has a list price of $499.)

Is this a smart purchase for an iPhone (this is my first, well really my second, but I only had the first one, a hand me down from my son for 3 mos?)

Thanks for your advice.

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

13 years ago

Consider this, the out of warranty battery replacement is $79.  The standard out of warranty repair is around $200, so it you plan to use your phone for more than 1 year (or 90 days if you bought a refurbished phone) then the AppleCare has a good chance to pay for itself.  My 1.75 year old iPhone 3G battery died, and it was replaced for free under AppleCare for me.  I even got free next day shipping due to having AppleCare, so when I called them at 4:00pm CST the day before the iPhone 4 officially launched, I had my replacement iPhone 3G in hand by 9:30am the next morning,  less than 20 hours later.  FOr me, that was worth the $69 I paid for my AppleCare.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

13 years ago

Might want to check with apple, I believe the extended care can only be purchased and added if the phone is still under the original one year warranty

Professor

• 

3.1K Messages

13 years ago

@wingrider01 wrote:

Might want to check with apple, I believe the extended care can only be purchased and added if the phone is still under the original one year warranty

the OP said it was a NEW iPhone 3GS, so they can add it.

It's not too bad a deal, but it is basically a bet that you'll need it. If you bet wrong, apple wins. The fact that apple is willing to make this bet means they win more often than they lose the bet.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

13 years ago

@johninsj wrote:

@wingrider01 wrote:

the OP said it was a NEW iPhone 3GS, so they can add it.

It's not too bad a deal, but it is basically a bet that you'll need it. If you bet wrong, apple wins. The fact that apple is willing to make this bet means they win more often than they lose the bet.

new to him or new from att - caveats are always good to mentioned - it ends up having a lot less disgruntled posts of how att and apple cheats everyone

Mentor

• 

70 Messages

13 years ago

It can be added IF:

Under 1 year warranty(NEW) or 90 day warranty(REFURBISHED).  If you go beyond those then there Apple Care will not work.

Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

13 years ago

I would make sure you understand WHAT they cover.  I doubt a cracked screen would be covered, but if you purchase an iPhone from a place like Best Buy, I think their extended warranty/accidental damage will take care of something like that.

I mention this as we were shocked to find that AppleCare does NOT cover any screen defect/damages on a nearly $3K MacBookPro!  It wasn't even the screen itself, but the frame that cracked (making the lid not close).  Apple wanted around $800 just to replace the frame!  Had it done at an authorized mail center for around $400, but it still isn't the right and now it has a mold-like substance between the screen and the backlight. Smiley Mad

Hardware:

The AppleCare Protection Plan provides repair or replacement coverage, both parts and labor, from Apple-authorized technicians.

What’s covered

• Your iPhone
  • Battery3
  • Included earphones and accessories

Master

• 

7.4K Messages

13 years ago

@spd2demun wrote:

I mention this as we were shocked to find that AppleCare does NOT cover any screen defect/damages on a nearly $3K MacBookPro!  It wasn't even the screen itself, but the frame that cracked (making the lid not close). 

Thats odd.  Do you know why or did Apple say why the frame cracked (ie defect or user caused)?  I've always had good luck with Apple covering their products if there wasn't signs of physical damage.  It seems if there was no sign of user damage they would have considered it a manufacture defect and fixed it.

I just took my iMac in last yesterday due to a LCD showing blotchy/darkening spots in the top right corner of the screen.  They confirmed it but didn't have any 27" LCD panels in stock so they ordered one for me and will call me when it gets in (I took my iMac home so I could continue using it (no reason to leave it when they don't even have the part yet and it still works).

I've also had 3 iPhones replaced/repaired very easy.  One they replaced a bad screen, one they replaced the unit as it bricked during an update, and one they were going to replace my sons due to issues with the headphone jack but it turned out there was a wad of lint packed in the bottom of the jack preventing it from seating properly and they used a pick to get it out.

Never had an issue and was never charged in any event.  It was a lot better service that any hardware manufacture that I've dealt with (Dell, HP, Asus, Microsoft, Western Digital etc etc).

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

13 years ago

@spd2demun wrote:

I would make sure you understand what they cover.  I doubt a cracked screen would be covered, but if you purchase an iPhone from a place like Best Buy, I think their extended warranty/accidental damage will take care of something like that.

Hardware:

The AppleCare Protection Plan provides repair or replacement coverage, both parts and labor, from Apple-authorized technicians.

What’s covered
  • Your iPhone
  • Battery3
  • Included earphones and accessories

• Just a side note on what's included and what isn't.  I have had them refuse to replace the headset ("earphones") and USB cable after the initial warrty period telling me that those aren't covered by AppleCare.  On another side note, while a cracked/broken screen is not officialy covered, a cow-orker of mine had an iPhone 4 with a broken screen (fairly obvious impact break on the right front about half way between the SIM slot and the top.  He took it to a Genius Bar and they replaced it based for free telling him that since he had an iPhone & an iPad (both with AppleCare) that they would replace it for him.  He wasn't even considering it until I made the suggestion to him based on what I had read here and on the Apple forums.  He was considering going to one of the places that claims they'll replace the glass for under $100, but I reminded hin that would void his warranty, so he tried the Genius Bar first.  He was very happy he did, since it only cost him a little time and a little over 50 miles total driving.

Scholar

• 

176 Messages

13 years ago

Thanks for the responses. The phone was purchase 1/11/11. New, not refurbished, so I have a while before I have to make the decision. Based on what everyone has said, I think it probably makes sense to purchase the warranty. Someone told me that if you have the warranty, Apple doesn't charge the $29 fee to send the phone back to them for repair.

Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

13 years ago

I'm glad to hear they are taking care of iPhone customers.

@PlanetEd, since the MBP will be OT, I'll PM. Smiley Happy

Not finding what you're looking for?
    New to AT&T Community?
    New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
    New to the AT&T Community?
    Visit the Community How-To.