The new iPhone 15
cmiclat's profile

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

Wednesday, October 12th, 2011 6:49 PM

Apple Care + for all of us loyal AT&T orders..Please AT&T let us know what we need to do.

I ordered 2 iPhone 4s white (one through Apple and one through AT&T). Both have shipped and have tracking. UPS shows its in KY, where Fedex for the second phone shows nothing yet.

Can someone please tell me how to get Apple Care + without going to a local store, IS AT&T going to allow us to purchase this in the local stores?????

Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

12 years ago

That's the way I read it, had to be purchased at checkout (on Apple's site).  Though I know with other Apple products, we've had 30 days to buy Apple Care.

If I understand it correctly, Apple Care+ is required for iPhone 4S?  All I was offered was the $99 plan, where the $49 plan seemed to be for the 4 and 3GS?

never mind...I just found the answer here.

Guru

• 

647 Messages

12 years ago

@hnzw_rui wrote:

@archermoo wrote:

@hnzw_rui wrote:

As far as I'm aware, you can buy Apple Care anytime as long as your phone is still under warranty.

Yup.  As long as the warranty hasn't expired you can buy Apple Care or Apple Care+.

I'd like to correct my earlier post. Apparently, while you can buy Apple Care as long as your warranty isn't expired, you can only buy Apple Care+ at the time of device purchase. That makes sense or else, there would be plenty of folks buying Apple Care+ after they've already broken their devices. Smiley Tongue

And that's different from someone choosing to buy (the old) Apple Care after they've already broken their devices how?  Are you insinuating that it was/is fair to take advantage of such a "loophole" under the old Apple Care program but would have been unfair if it were still allowed under the Apple Care+ plan, hence the requirement that AC+ be purchased at the time of device purchase?  Besides, the AC+ T&C has a section for "Accidental Damange from Handling" that states that coverage under the plan doesn't include willful damage/neglect, normal wear and tear, theft, etc., so Apple's covered even if one were to purchase AC+ some time after having purchased the device.  Also--the ADH section states that Apple will cover only two such "accidents" under the plan, so if you accidentally break your phone a third time under AC+, you're out of luck.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

12 years ago

@tonester wrote:

@hnzw_rui wrote:

@archermoo wrote:

@hnzw_rui wrote:

As far as I'm aware, you can buy Apple Care anytime as long as your phone is still under warranty.

Yup.  As long as the warranty hasn't expired you can buy Apple Care or Apple Care+.

I'd like to correct my earlier post. Apparently, while you can buy Apple Care as long as your warranty isn't expired, you can only buy Apple Care+ at the time of device purchase. That makes sense or else, there would be plenty of folks buying Apple Care+ after they've already broken their devices. Smiley Tongue

And that's different from someone choosing to buy (the old) Apple Care after they've already broken their devices how?  Are you insinuating that it was/is fair to take advantage of such a "loophole" under the old Apple Care program but would have been unfair if it were still allowed under the Apple Care+ plan, hence the requirement that AC+ be purchased at the time of device purchase?  Besides, the AC+ T&C has a section for "Accidental Damange from Handling" that states that coverage under the plan doesn't include willful damage/neglect, normal wear and tear, theft, etc., so Apple's covered even if one were to purchase AC+ some time after having purchased the device.  Also--the ADH section states that Apple will cover only two such "accidents" under the plan, so if you accidentally break your phone a third time under AC+, you're out of luck.

If I recall correctly the Apple Care normal never had a clause for covering "accidental damage", so that is not an issue. AC+ does and Apple is covering all bases like a company should, besides how does one differentiate between having your phone fall out of you pocket and shattering and throwing it against something in a fit of rage? Accidental damage is subjective

Scholar

• 

346 Messages

12 years ago

@tonester wrote:

There's no such "loophole" as the old Apple Care didn't cover accidental damage. The original Apple Care really just extends your warranty and usually, the only thing it's good for is battery replacement.

Guru

• 

517 Messages

12 years ago

@tonester wrote:

@hnzw_rui wrote:

@archermoo wrote:

@hnzw_rui wrote:

There isn't a "loophole" for Apple Care, as it doesn't cover accidental damage.  It just covers all the same stuff that the normal warrantee covers, just for an extra year.  As long as you buy it before the normal coverage lapses (required for buying it) the phone was never out of coverage, so there can't be a case of  "it broke, so I bought coverage because that was cheaper than paying to get it fixed".  With AC+ on the other hand, since it covers accidental damage which isn't covered normally, if you don't buy it with the phone it IS possible that you could just wait until your phone got damaged and then buy coverage.  So they require that you buy it with the phone.  Or in the case of pre-ordering the phone, that you buy it as soon as you actually receive the phone.

And yes, AC+ only covers 2 accidents during the 2 years it works.  Which is 1 more accident than most such policies cover, in my experience.

Guru

• 

647 Messages

12 years ago

@archermoo wrote:

@hnzw_rui wrote:

@archermoo wrote:

@hnzw_rui wrote:

Very true, I misspoke as well.  However Apple does allow you to purchase Apple Care+ on the pre-ordered iPhone 4S through the 14th, according to this page: http://store.apple.com/us/product/APP_IPHONE_PLUS_AUTO-110480?mco=MjYwMjMxMzQ

Does that (above) trump the actual Apple Care+ Terms and Conditions, viewable here:  AppleCare+ Terms and Conditions ?  I ask because of this particular entry (found in section 11--General Terms, subsection x):

(x) You must purchase the Plan while your original iPhone is within Apple’s One Year Limited warranty.
Apple is not obligated to renew this Plan. If Apple does offer a renewal, it will determine the price and
terms.

Now if Apple's requirement that you can purchase AppleCare+ only at the time of new device purchase trumps what is stated in their own AppleCare+ T&C...well then that's not really consumer-friendly now, is it?  Heck, automobile manufacturers don't require that extended automobile warranties must be purchased only at the time you purchase your new vehicle in order for it to be valid--you can wait until day 364 of the third year of a warranty (if 3-year original warranty) to purchase an extended warranty (e.g., a 5-year extended plan that gives you two extra years on top of an original 3-year one) and they would still sell it to you.  What makes Apple think they're so special that they can "demand" that you either buy AppleCare+ at time of device purchase or else forever forfeit your right to purchase it at all for said device purchase?

Guru

• 

517 Messages

12 years ago

@tonester wrote:

Does that (above) trump the actual Apple Care+ Terms and Conditions, viewable here:  AppleCare+ Terms and Conditions ?  I ask because of this particular entry (found in section 11--General Terms, subsection x):

(x) You must purchase the Plan while your original iPhone is within Apple’s One Year Limited warranty.
Apple is not obligated to renew this Plan. If Apple does offer a renewal, it will determine the price and
terms.

Now if Apple's requirement that you can purchase AppleCare+ only at the time of new device purchase trumps what is stated in their own AppleCare+ T&C...well then that's not really consumer-friendly now, is it?  Heck, automobile manufacturers don't require that extended automobile warranties must be purchased only at the time you purchase your new vehicle in order for it to be valid--you can wait until day 364 of the third year of a warranty (if 3-year original warranty) to purchase an extended warranty (e.g., a 5-year extended plan that gives you two extra years on top of an original 3-year one) and they would still sell it to you.  What makes Apple think they're so special that they can "demand" that you either buy AppleCare+ at time of device purchase or else forever forfeit your right to purchase it at all for said device purchase?

You can buy the equivalent of the extended warranty up until day 364.  That is what Apple Care is.  You just can't provide the extra coverage provided by Apple Care+ later.

Guru

• 

647 Messages

12 years ago

@wingrider01 wrote:

@tonester wrote:

@hnzw_rui wrote:

@archermoo wrote:

@hnzw_rui wrote:

If I recall correctly the Apple Care normal never had a clause for covering "accidental damage", so that is not an issue. AC+ does and Apple is covering all bases like a company should, besides how does one differentiate between having your phone fall out of you pocket and shattering and throwing it against something in a fit of rage? Accidental damage is subjective

That may indeed be true, but it should also be noted that--according to an article I read elsewhere--with the introduction of the AppleCare+ plan, Apple stores will no longer offer goodwill replacement of iPhones that are either not under some kind of Apple warranty coverage or cannot otherwise be repaired/replaced under warranty.  IOW, if you happen to get accidental water damage on your iPhone 4s and you don't have AppleCare+...don't even bother hoping that Apple will give you a one-time break and replace it for free.

Guru

• 

647 Messages

12 years ago

@archermoo wrote:

@tonester wrote:

terms.

You can buy the equivalent of the extended warranty up until day 364.  That is what Apple Care is.  You just can't provide the extra coverage provided by Apple Care+ later.

That still doesn't address/answer the issue as to whether the AppleCare+ T&C section I quoted trumps Apple's requirement that AppleCare+ can be purchased only at time of device purchase (or vice-versa); subsection (x) clearly implies that I can wait until day 364 of my original device warranty to purchase AppleCare+ for an iPhone (4s).  Not sure how you and/or others fail to see how the following statement (taken from Apple's web page) contradicts subsection (x) in the AppleCare+ T&C:

How to get AppleCare+
AppleCare+ must be purchased together with your new iPhone. To buy it, add it to your shopping cart during the checkout process when you purchase your new iPhone.

Or, similar:

Important Note

AppleCare+ must be purchased together with new covered equipment. See AppleCare+ Terms and Conditions for complete product details.

So which one is it--can AppleCare+ be purchased only at time of device purchase, or can it be purchased while the device (iPhone--it should be noted that the AppleCare+ T&C explicitly uses the word "iPhone", rather than "device"--at least as far as subsection (x) is concerned) is "within Apple's One Year Limited Warranty", as stated in the T&C?

Guru

• 

517 Messages

12 years ago

@tonester wrote:

@archermoo wrote:

@tonester wrote:

terms.

That still doesn't address/answer the issue as to whether the AppleCare+ T&C section I quoted trumps Apple's requirement that AppleCare+ can be purchased only at time of device purchase (or vice-versa); subsection (x) clearly implies that I can wait until day 364 of my original device warranty to purchase AppleCare+ for an iPhone (4s).  Not sure how you and/or others fail to see how the following statement (taken from Apple's web page) contradicts subsection (x) in the AppleCare+ T&C:

How to get AppleCare+
AppleCare+ must be purchased together with your new iPhone. To buy it, add it to your shopping cart during the checkout process when you purchase your new iPhone.

Or, similar:

Important Note

AppleCare+ must be purchased together with new covered equipment. See AppleCare+ Terms and Conditions for complete product details.

So which one is it--can AppleCare+ be purchased only at time of device purchase, or can it be purchased while the device (iPhone--it should be noted that the AppleCare+ T&C explicitly uses the word "iPhone", rather than "device"--at least as far as subsection (x) is concerned) is "within Apple's One Year Limited Warranty", as stated in the T&C?

Sounds like something they forgot to change when they copied the T&C over from the regular Apple Care one. If you want to rely on that for being able to purchase it later, particularly when all of the places that you can order it specifically note that you have to buy it with the phone, feel free to do so.  But if they change/correct that provision before you decide to purchase it don't be surprised if they don't let you get it.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.