Posted Oct 12, 2011
11:49:14 AM
View profile
Apple Care + for all of us loyal AT&T orders..Please AT&T let us know what we need to do.

I ordered 2 iPhone 4s white (one through Apple and one through AT&T). Both have shipped and have tracking. UPS shows its in KY, where Fedex for the second phone shows nothing yet.

Can someone please tell me how to get Apple Care + without going to a local store, IS AT&T going to allow us to purchase this in the local stores?????

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Oct 12, 2011 2:11:45 PM
(0)
Guru
Edited by archermoo on Oct 12, 2011 at 2:13:45 PM

hnzw_rui wrote:

archermoo wrote:

hnzw_rui wrote:

As far as I'm aware, you can buy Apple Care anytime as long as your phone is still under warranty.

Yup.  As long as the warranty hasn't expired you can buy Apple Care or Apple Care+.

I'd like to correct my earlier post. Apparently, while you can buy Apple Care as long as your warranty isn't expired, you can only buy Apple Care+ at the time of device purchase. That makes sense or else, there would be plenty of folks buying Apple Care+ after they've already broken their devices. :smileytongue:

Very true, I misspoke as well.  However Apple does allow you to purchase Apple Care+ on the pre-ordered iPhone 4S through the 14th, according to this page: http://store.apple.com/us/product/APP_IPHONE_PLUS_AUTO-110480?mco=MjYwMjMxMzQ

Accepted Solution

Apple Care + for all of us loyal AT&T orders..Please AT&T let us know what we need to do.

25 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(25)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2011 11:52:56 AM
(0)
Mentor

I thought for Apple Care to be valid it had to be purchased at the time of the purchase with the phone.  I added mine in when I ordered from Apple last Friday.

Re: Apple Care + for all of us loyal AT&T orders..Please AT&T let us know what we need to do

2 of 26 (15,056 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2011 11:54:09 AM
(0)
Tutor
With AT&T orders and my apple order the button was missing? I think their servers were way overloaded... we need to know that we can just go to our local AT&T store and add it...

Re: Apple Care + for all of us loyal AT&T orders..Please AT&T let us know what we need to do

3 of 26 (15,052 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2011 12:12:09 PM
(0)
Teacher

I would suggest using Square Trade - better coverage and cover full imersion in liquid

4 of 26 (15,025 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2011 12:33:36 PM
(0)
Scholar

As far as I'm aware, you can buy Apple Care anytime as long as your phone is still under warranty.

5 of 26 (14,988 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2011 1:03:42 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by ShaunMN on Oct 12, 2011 at 1:54:18 PM

I emailed Apple, and this is a direct quote from the email I got:

"After you receive the iPhones you can call AppleCare at{Personal content removed for safety}or bring the iPhones to a local AT&T retail store to complete your AppleCare+ purchase.

Thanks!"

I think you'll actually have until November 14th to do this (per TUAW.com)

mG

[ Edited ]
6 of 26 (14,960 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2011 1:31:25 PM
(0)
Guru

hnzw_rui wrote:

Yup.  As long as the warranty hasn't expired you can buy Apple Care or Apple Care+.

7 of 26 (14,910 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2011 2:02:50 PM
(0)
Scholar

archermoo wrote:

hnzw_rui wrote:

I'd like to correct my earlier post. Apparently, while you can buy Apple Care as long as your warranty isn't expired, you can only buy Apple Care+ at the time of device purchase. That makes sense or else, there would be plenty of folks buying Apple Care+ after they've already broken their devices. :smileytongue:

8 of 26 (14,884 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 12, 2011 2:08:32 PM
(0)
Guru

That is correct. The "old" AppleCare could be purchased anytime during the year manufacturer's warranty. AppleCare+ needs to be purchased with the device, but for launch day Apple is allowing people to purchase AppleCare+ through November 14 (at least according to TUAW - http://www.tuaw.com/2011/10/11/applecare-plus-for-preorders-available-until-november-14/)

hnzw_rui wrote:

archermoo wrote:

hnzw_rui wrote:

9 of 26 (14,874 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Oct 12, 2011 2:11:45 PM
(0)
Guru
Edited by archermoo on Oct 12, 2011 at 2:13:45 PM

hnzw_rui wrote:

archermoo wrote:

hnzw_rui wrote:

Very true, I misspoke as well.  However Apple does allow you to purchase Apple Care+ on the pre-ordered iPhone 4S through the 14th, according to this page: http://store.apple.com/us/product/APP_IPHONE_PLUS_AUTO-110480?mco=MjYwMjMxMzQ

[ Edited ]
10 of 26 (14,871 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2011 3:20:25 PM
(0)
Tutor

great info, thank you so much! 

do we open the phone then call them, or can we get the info without booting up the phone I wonder. I bet its the number in the settings...I forget the name, I believe it starts with an E or I.... 

11 of 26 (13,888 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2011 10:52:44 PM
(0)
Expert
Edited by spd2demun on Oct 12, 2011 at 10:57:15 PM

That's the way I read it, had to be purchased at checkout (on Apple's site).  Though I know with other Apple products, we've had 30 days to buy Apple Care.

If I understand it correctly, Apple Care+ is required for iPhone 4S?  All I was offered was the $99 plan, where the $49 plan seemed to be for the 4 and 3GS?

never mind...I just found the answer here.

[ Edited ]
12 of 26 (13,848 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2011 7:13:04 AM
(0)
Guru

hnzw_rui wrote:

archermoo wrote:

hnzw_rui wrote:

And that's different from someone choosing to buy (the old) Apple Care after they've already broken their devices how?  Are you insinuating that it was/is fair to take advantage of such a "loophole" under the old Apple Care program but would have been unfair if it were still allowed under the Apple Care+ plan, hence the requirement that AC+ be purchased at the time of device purchase?  Besides, the AC+ T&C has a section for "Accidental Damange from Handling" that states that coverage under the plan doesn't include willful damage/neglect, normal wear and tear, theft, etc., so Apple's covered even if one were to purchase AC+ some time after having purchased the device.  Also--the ADH section states that Apple will cover only two such "accidents" under the plan, so if you accidentally break your phone a third time under AC+, you're out of luck.

13 of 26 (13,807 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2011 7:17:02 AM
(0)
Expert

tonester wrote:

hnzw_rui wrote:

archermoo wrote:

hnzw_rui wrote:

And that's different from someone choosing to buy (the old) Apple Care after they've already broken their devices how?  Are you insinuating that it was/is fair to take advantage of such a "loophole" under the old Apple Care program but would have been unfair if it were still allowed under the Apple Care+ plan, hence the requirement that AC+ be purchased at the time of device purchase?  Besides, the AC+ T&C has a section for "Accidental Damange from Handling" that states that coverage under the plan doesn't include willful damage/neglect, normal wear and tear, theft, etc., so Apple's covered even if one were to purchase AC+ some time after having purchased the device.  Also--the ADH section states that Apple will cover only two such "accidents" under the plan, so if you accidentally break your phone a third time under AC+, you're out of luck.

If I recall correctly the Apple Care normal never had a clause for covering "accidental damage", so that is not an issue. AC+ does and Apple is covering all bases like a company should, besides how does one differentiate between having your phone fall out of you pocket and shattering and throwing it against something in a fit of rage? Accidental damage is subjective

14 of 26 (13,801 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2011 7:18:22 AM
(0)
Scholar

tonester wrote:

There's no such "loophole" as the old Apple Care didn't cover accidental damage. The original Apple Care really just extends your warranty and usually, the only thing it's good for is battery replacement.

15 of 26 (13,799 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2011 7:25:45 AM
(0)
Guru

tonester wrote:

hnzw_rui wrote:

archermoo wrote:

hnzw_rui wrote:

There isn't a "loophole" for Apple Care, as it doesn't cover accidental damage.  It just covers all the same stuff that the normal warrantee covers, just for an extra year.  As long as you buy it before the normal coverage lapses (required for buying it) the phone was never out of coverage, so there can't be a case of  "it broke, so I bought coverage because that was cheaper than paying to get it fixed".  With AC+ on the other hand, since it covers accidental damage which isn't covered normally, if you don't buy it with the phone it IS possible that you could just wait until your phone got damaged and then buy coverage.  So they require that you buy it with the phone.  Or in the case of pre-ordering the phone, that you buy it as soon as you actually receive the phone.

And yes, AC+ only covers 2 accidents during the 2 years it works.  Which is 1 more accident than most such policies cover, in my experience.

16 of 26 (13,794 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2011 7:29:29 AM
(0)
Guru

archermoo wrote:

hnzw_rui wrote:

archermoo wrote:

hnzw_rui wrote:

Does that (above) trump the actual Apple Care+ Terms and Conditions, viewable here:  AppleCare+ Terms and Conditions ?  I ask because of this particular entry (found in section 11--General Terms, subsection x):

(x) You must purchase the Plan while your original iPhone is within Apple’s One Year Limited warranty.
Apple is not obligated to renew this Plan. If Apple does offer a renewal, it will determine the price and
terms.

Now if Apple's requirement that you can purchase AppleCare+ only at the time of new device purchase trumps what is stated in their own AppleCare+ T&C...well then that's not really consumer-friendly now, is it?  Heck, automobile manufacturers don't require that extended automobile warranties must be purchased only at the time you purchase your new vehicle in order for it to be valid--you can wait until day 364 of the third year of a warranty (if 3-year original warranty) to purchase an extended warranty (e.g., a 5-year extended plan that gives you two extra years on top of an original 3-year one) and they would still sell it to you.  What makes Apple think they're so special that they can "demand" that you either buy AppleCare+ at time of device purchase or else forever forfeit your right to purchase it at all for said device purchase?

17 of 26 (13,791 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2011 7:37:13 AM
(0)
Guru

tonester wrote:

Does that (above) trump the actual Apple Care+ Terms and Conditions, viewable here:  AppleCare+ Terms and Conditions ?  I ask because of this particular entry (found in section 11--General Terms, subsection x):

(x) You must purchase the Plan while your original iPhone is within Apple’s One Year Limited warranty.
Apple is not obligated to renew this Plan. If Apple does offer a renewal, it will determine the price and
terms.

Now if Apple's requirement that you can purchase AppleCare+ only at the time of new device purchase trumps what is stated in their own AppleCare+ T&C...well then that's not really consumer-friendly now, is it?  Heck, automobile manufacturers don't require that extended automobile warranties must be purchased only at the time you purchase your new vehicle in order for it to be valid--you can wait until day 364 of the third year of a warranty (if 3-year original warranty) to purchase an extended warranty (e.g., a 5-year extended plan that gives you two extra years on top of an original 3-year one) and they would still sell it to you.  What makes Apple think they're so special that they can "demand" that you either buy AppleCare+ at time of device purchase or else forever forfeit your right to purchase it at all for said device purchase?

You can buy the equivalent of the extended warranty up until day 364.  That is what Apple Care is.  You just can't provide the extra coverage provided by Apple Care+ later.

18 of 26 (13,789 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2011 7:38:16 AM
(0)
Guru

wingrider01 wrote:

tonester wrote:

hnzw_rui wrote:

archermoo wrote:

hnzw_rui wrote:

If I recall correctly the Apple Care normal never had a clause for covering "accidental damage", so that is not an issue. AC+ does and Apple is covering all bases like a company should, besides how does one differentiate between having your phone fall out of you pocket and shattering and throwing it against something in a fit of rage? Accidental damage is subjective

That may indeed be true, but it should also be noted that--according to an article I read elsewhere--with the introduction of the AppleCare+ plan, Apple stores will no longer offer goodwill replacement of iPhones that are either not under some kind of Apple warranty coverage or cannot otherwise be repaired/replaced under warranty.  IOW, if you happen to get accidental water damage on your iPhone 4s and you don't have AppleCare+...don't even bother hoping that Apple will give you a one-time break and replace it for free.

19 of 26 (13,786 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2011 7:53:10 AM
(0)
Guru
Edited by tonester on Oct 13, 2011 at 7:54:13 AM

archermoo wrote:

tonester wrote:

terms.

You can buy the equivalent of the extended warranty up until day 364.  That is what Apple Care is.  You just can't provide the extra coverage provided by Apple Care+ later.

That still doesn't address/answer the issue as to whether the AppleCare+ T&C section I quoted trumps Apple's requirement that AppleCare+ can be purchased only at time of device purchase (or vice-versa); subsection (x) clearly implies that I can wait until day 364 of my original device warranty to purchase AppleCare+ for an iPhone (4s).  Not sure how you and/or others fail to see how the following statement (taken from Apple's web page) contradicts subsection (x) in the AppleCare+ T&C:

How to get AppleCare+
AppleCare+ must be purchased together with your new iPhone. To buy it, add it to your shopping cart during the checkout process when you purchase your new iPhone.

Or, similar:

Important Note

AppleCare+ must be purchased together with new covered equipment. See AppleCare+ Terms and Conditions for complete product details.

So which one is it--can AppleCare+ be purchased only at time of device purchase, or can it be purchased while the device (iPhone--it should be noted that the AppleCare+ T&C explicitly uses the word "iPhone", rather than "device"--at least as far as subsection (x) is concerned) is "within Apple's One Year Limited Warranty", as stated in the T&C?

[ Edited ]
20 of 26 (13,780 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2011 8:04:20 AM
(0)
Guru

tonester wrote:

archermoo wrote:

tonester wrote:

terms.

That still doesn't address/answer the issue as to whether the AppleCare+ T&C section I quoted trumps Apple's requirement that AppleCare+ can be purchased only at time of device purchase (or vice-versa); subsection (x) clearly implies that I can wait until day 364 of my original device warranty to purchase AppleCare+ for an iPhone (4s).  Not sure how you and/or others fail to see how the following statement (taken from Apple's web page) contradicts subsection (x) in the AppleCare+ T&C:

How to get AppleCare+
AppleCare+ must be purchased together with your new iPhone. To buy it, add it to your shopping cart during the checkout process when you purchase your new iPhone.

Or, similar:

Important Note

AppleCare+ must be purchased together with new covered equipment. See AppleCare+ Terms and Conditions for complete product details.

So which one is it--can AppleCare+ be purchased only at time of device purchase, or can it be purchased while the device (iPhone--it should be noted that the AppleCare+ T&C explicitly uses the word "iPhone", rather than "device"--at least as far as subsection (x) is concerned) is "within Apple's One Year Limited Warranty", as stated in the T&C?

Sounds like something they forgot to change when they copied the T&C over from the regular Apple Care one. If you want to rely on that for being able to purchase it later, particularly when all of the places that you can order it specifically note that you have to buy it with the phone, feel free to do so.  But if they change/correct that provision before you decide to purchase it don't be surprised if they don't let you get it.

21 of 26 (13,540 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2011 8:13:04 AM
(0)
Scholar

tonester wrote:

terms.

I reckon Apple just copy/pasted the "One Year Limited Warranty" clause from the original AppleCare T&C. You can only purchase AppleCare+ at the time of device purchase (or in this case, up to November 14).

As for the extended warranty on automobile - the original AppleCare service was like that. However, you have to remember AppleCare+ also provides coverage for accidental damage. Do you know any insurance company who's willing to insure your  previously uninsured automobile after you've already wrecked it?

22 of 26 (13,536 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2011 2:54:50 PM
(0)
Guru

hnzw_rui wrote:

tonester wrote:

terms.

I reckon Apple just copy/pasted the "One Year Limited Warranty" clause from the original AppleCare T&C. You can only purchase AppleCare+ at the time of device purchase (or in this case, up to November 14).

As for the extended warranty on automobile - the original AppleCare service was like that. However, you have to remember AppleCare+ also provides coverage for accidental damage. Do you know any insurance company who's willing to insure your  previously uninsured automobile after you've already wrecked it?

You're confusing "warranty" and "insurance"--they are not one and the same; most warranties (or, product protection plans) do not cover product loss due to theft or vandalism.  AppleCare+ is not an insurance policy but rather, a product protection plan. I would guess that the main--if not only--reason why the new AppleCare+ plan now includes accidental damage coverage is that the Apple bean counters decided, "Why should we continue to goodwill out-of-warranty (i.e., 1-2 year old) busted iPhones if we can get iPhone customers to cough up $148 or $197 ($99 AppleCare+ cost plus one or two $49 replacements allowed under the AppleCare+ accidental damage coverage) to fix an accidentally-damaged iPhone?"

But since you brought up the insurance thing--actually, most auto insurance companies will insure a vehicle that was previously damaged and/or previously uninsured, except under certain circumstances (e.g., salvage title vehicle)...they just won't cover any pre-existing damage and/or claims.  In fact, I believe the AppleCare+ policy states something similar--you can purchase AppleCare+ any time after device purchase (but before the original warranty expires), but Apple won't repair anything on the device that was broken--accidentally or otherwise--prior to when the AppleCare+ coverage took effect.

23 of 26 (13,498 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2012 2:37:58 PM
(0)
Voyager

Don't agree

I just purchased Applecare + from my ATT store, with IPHONE 5 purchase.  Have Square Trade on my last Iphone.  Applecare plus does not exclude drops in water. Now covered.   Applecare plus will replace TWO phones.  Square Trade pays you for one, and their obligation is over.  Applecare plus includes tech support for 2 years.  With SQ, zero tech support.  Can get same day replacement from Applecare Plus.  I have six policies, from phone to toasters with SQ.   But now that Applecare + is available, I went with that one for the IPHONE 5.  Both are $ 99.

24 of 26 (11,428 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2012 4:04:12 PM
(0)
Mentor

Important notes

AppleCare+ must be purchased within 30 days of the date you bought your new iPhone. If you did not purchase AppleCare+ with your iPhone, you may purchase it at an Apple Retail Store.  To buy AppleCare+ at an Apple Retail Store, a Genius will first need to verify your iPhone purchase date and confirm that your iPhone has no pre-existing damage. Schedule a Genius Bar appointment
See AppleCare+ Terms and Conditions for complete product details. <----- THIS IS WHAT IS SAID ON THE APPLE SITE ABOUT APPLE CARE + :smileyhappy:

25 of 26 (11,350 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2012 5:25:44 PM
(0)
Master

This is an old thread that mixes two types of Applecare.  The old version could be purchsed during the first year after purchase while the phone was under warranty as it did not cover accidental damage.  Applecare+ can be purchased within the first 30 days but after inspection by an Apple Genius.  If purchased with your iPhone 5, no inspection is necessary.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

26 of 26 (11,300 Views)