For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
phonelessone's profile

Contributor

• 

4 Messages

Friday, December 26th, 2014 2:17 AM

Anybody else having problems with new iPhone 6 with no phone service after set-up?

Just got an iPhone 6 for Christmas gift, purchased through AT&T. All of the set-up process seemed to proceed normally, but the phone will not accept or make calls. Error message is "Call Failed". All incoming calls go straight to voicemail. I have a good signal, 3 bars. Airplane mode is off. Privacy mode is off. I tried rebooting the iPhone, but to no avail. Seems like set-up has failed somehow. My old phone now reads "no service", so I'm stuck without a phone for awhile. I should note that my old iPhone was on when I performed the set-up procedure on the new iPhone. Not sure if that would have made a difference.

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

9 years ago

@phonelessone wrote:

Just got an iPhone 6 for Christmas gift, purchased through AT&T. All of the set-up process seemed to proceed normally, but the phone will not accept or make calls. Error message is "Call Failed". All incoming calls go straight to voicemail. I have a good signal, 3 bars. Airplane mode is off. Privacy mode is off. I tried rebooting the iPhone, but to no avail. Seems like set-up has failed somehow. My old phone now reads "no service", so I'm stuck without a phone for awhile. I should note that my old iPhone was on when I performed the set-up procedure on the new iPhone. Not sure if that would have made a difference.

The old phone being on while the new phone service was being setup shouldn't be an issue.  I was using my iPhoen 5 in the AT&T store while they were activating my iPhone 6 when I purchased it.  Well, up until the SIM in the iPhone 5 was disabled because the new phone was activated that is,  then I started using the iPhone 6.

The issues with the new phone sound like it is most likely a SIM card issue.  If you can go into a corporate AT&T store, they can replace yoru SIM for you (for free ususally).  If you can use the cellular data on the new iPhone, it might also be something in the settings.  Did you restore your new phone form a backup of your old phone?  If so, you could try going into Settings->General-Reset and select "Reset Network Settings".  That will cause the phone to forget any custom network settings it may have, and restore back to the defaults.  It will lose any saved wifi passwords, but it might also resolve your call issues.  If not, you could also try calling *611 or the 800 number to see if it's just a settign on the account, but I'm betting it's either the SIM or a setting on the phone itself.

Contributor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

I tried resetting "network settings" to default, but this did not resolve the problem. Hope it is not a defective SIM, as there are no corporate AT&T stores in my area. None within an hours drive anyway. Thanks for the reply nonetheless.

Explorer

• 

13 Messages

9 years ago

I had the same problem, even with a new SIM, but fixed it like this: I switched airplane mode on and off a few times. Hope that helps.

Contributor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

Just had to follow up on this one, if anybody is interested:

After speaking with four different service reps and technicians over a period of 5 days, I still have zero phone service on the new iPhone 6.

I was first told that part of the registration failed (the phone part). Internet set up normally, voice phone failed to register per the secon rep. I was asked to give it time to "go through the system". It did not resolve itself as I had hoped. Next tech rep opened a case for me, but for some reason the case was closed as "resolved", but without fixing the problem, or even attemting to contact me at an alternate number. Nice! Fourth tech rep say he will open "an escalated case" for me, but I may ultimatly need a new SIM card or a new iPhone, to be determined by the person who is next assigned the case. Meanwhile, I live in a rural area, 90 minutes from the nearest AT&T corperate store. I hope this can be resolved another way. Five days of no service, and no answer.

Just want to let others know what they may be up for in terms of service, or lack thereof.

Contributor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

UPDATE:

After 7 full days of no phone service, and as much as two hours of speaking with perhaps 6 techs and reps over the 6 days between Christmas and NewYears, I received a new SIM card via UPS. I wish that the folks at AT&T had concluded it was a SIM card issue much earlier, but I suppose they have to wait a certain amount of time before coming to that solution. Of course if I lived closer than one hour and 30 minutes to a AT&T corp store, I maight have gotton a quicker resolution. But that is my problem.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.