Posted Nov 26, 2012
7:56:25 AM
ATT wireless Unlimited Data is limited to 5Gb

4G LTE has just been turned on in the Little Rock Market and I have exceeded 5Gb of data usage for the first time in 5 years of owning Iphones and having unlimited data.  My download speed was around 14 Mb on LTE and now its about 768K.  I totally don't like this, I think I am being robbed too.  ATT is my home ISP and I plan to research the LR market for alternatives that don't have bandwidth rate limiting or bandwidth caps.  Naturally the argument that an unlimited data plan should be "UNLIMITED" doesn't carry any weight with ATT, after all I do have access to the internet, just not good access.  I could even go along with this without a real fuss if the bandwidth limit was around 3Mb down but to drop me to 768K is bullsxit.

54 replies
(4) Me too
(4) Me too
Replies
(54)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 12, 2013 8:09:42 AM
(0)
Teacher
That's the point. I bought a 4GS iPhone to be on AT&T 4G network, and whatever data/voice/text/etc would be transferred on that network. By AT&T speed limiting anything on that network, it's a breach.

If we were to buy cable Internet at speeds up to 15Mps, do we worry about using Netflix, YouTube or other services? No. However, if I bought 15Mps with 50Gb usage, then they would be correct to limit or charge accordingly. If I still had unlimited data on the 3G network, it would be slower, and I would know if I wanted faster data, upgrade to 4G. But on EITHER network I still want unlimited data that I payed for, AT the network speeds I also payed for.

Re: ATT wireless Unlimited Data is limited to 5Gb

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 12, 2013 8:38:09 AM
(0)
Expert

Unsatisfiedcomsumer-14 wrote:
That's the point. I bought a 4GS iPhone to be on AT&T 4G network, and whatever data/voice/text/etc would be transferred on that network. By AT&T speed limiting anything on that network, it's a breach.

If we were to buy cable Internet at speeds up to 15Mps, do we worry about using Netflix, YouTube or other services? No. However, if I bought 15Mps with 50Gb usage, then they would be correct to limit or charge accordingly. If I still had unlimited data on the 3G network, it would be slower, and I would know if I wanted faster data, upgrade to 4G. But on EITHER network I still want unlimited data that I payed for, AT the network speeds I also payed for.

you had better - broadband companies are capping data usage also, cable company here caps  to the point that if you exceed your cap 4 months in a row that can terminate your service with no chance of re-connect. You paid for unlimited data, nowhere is is stated unlimited speed, unless you can find it otherwise documented in the policies.

you have a choice, let the carrier control use by staying with the discontinued unlimited, or take it on yourself by switching to a tiered or shared plan and control you own use.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 12, 2013 10:43:10 AM
(0)
Scholar

Re: your cable internet analogy--the key words that you yourself offered are "up to"; do you know of any cable ISP that guarantees you will get no lower than some fixed speed, 24x7?  Example--if you pay for 15 Mbps from your cable company, does the company guarantee that you'll see speeds no lower than 15 Mbps?

As far as your argument/complaint about AT&T speed throttling--exactly what network speeds did you pay for? 1 Mbps? 2 Mbps? 4 Mbps? 10 Mbps?  What network speeds did AT&T guarantee you'd be getting for your money?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 12, 2013 12:11:28 PM
(0)
Expert

jane697 wrote:

Re: your cable internet analogy--the key words that you yourself offered are "up to"; do you know of any cable ISP that guarantees you will get no lower than some fixed speed, 24x7?  Example--if you pay for 15 Mbps from your cable company, does the company guarantee that you'll see speeds no lower than 15 Mbps?

As far as your argument/complaint about AT&T speed throttling--exactly what network speeds did you pay for? 1 Mbps? 2 Mbps? 4 Mbps? 10 Mbps?  What network speeds did AT&T guarantee you'd be getting for your money?

same verbage is used on all data connections, including cellular. the ony ones that are differect are t1's, IC3, OC48, OC64's, but here we are talking business class from about 700.00 a month up to 60,000 a month service cost not counting the expensive hardware to utilize it. Also, yes if you have a business class cable connection - which residential non-commercial users can get, the speed is promised.

I do agree with you on the comment you made and the speed throttling though.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 17, 2013 4:48:07 AM
(0)
Master

oz_1 wrote:

I thought I utilized my phone pretty well and in a months time I still only use maybe 2GB but I don't stream TV or movies on mine.

Same here. Because LTE in my area is faster than my WiFi I have had WiIFi turned  off and was only using LTE last month. I only came within a few KB of using 2GB of my unlimited data plan. I think 5GB is far better than the 2GB that they offered on their HSPA+ phones. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 23, 2013 11:25:44 AM
(0)
Guru

No, AT&T is not in breach of any agreement. Your phone provides you with access to their network. AT&T, like any carrier, makes no claims about the speed or uptime of their networks. The rate at which you can access the network is subject to congestion, bandwidth constraints, and imposed limitations. If you use more than 3GB with a 3G (UMTS/HSPA) phone, you get throttled. For 4G phones (LTE), you get 5GB before being throttled. It's in their terms, and continued usage of the account means acceptance of those terms.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 9, 2013 5:50:38 PM
(0)
Voyager

Hello all, first post. Sorry for beating this dead horse in advance.

I have a few questions between LTE and 3G data.  Theoretically, being (LTE is capped at 5GB) and (3G at capped 3GB), would we have a cummulative of 8GB?  Say I use my 3G/4G data in the begining of my billing cycle, specifically for battery savings (internet sources say LTE uses up more battery and to disable it in your iPhone cellular settings).  Then I do a check the speed to see if it's capped, then switch to LTE.  what would happen?  Would I get an additional 5? or capped at 5, having the LTE make the difference of 2 GB? making it regardless of what you use...capped at 5?

Sorry in advance for not searching this throughout the community forum, google brought me to this page.

Thanks.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 9, 2013 5:54:08 PM
(0)
Expert

sirhchris wrote:

Hello all, first post. Sorry for beating this dead horse in advance.

I have a few questions between LTE and 3G data.  Theoretically, being (LTE is capped at 5GB) and (3G at capped 3GB), would we have a cummulative of 8GB?  Say I use my 3G/4G data in the begining of my billing cycle, specifically for battery savings (internet sources say LTE uses up more battery and to disable it in your iPhone cellular settings).  Then I do a check the speed to see if it's capped, then switch to LTE.  what would happen?  Would I get an additional 5? or capped at 5, having the LTE make the difference of 2 GB? making it regardless of what you use...capped at 5?

Sorry in advance for not searching this throughout the community forum, google brought me to this page.

Thanks.

if your phone is capable of 3g but not lte then you are capped at 3GB

if your phone is capable of 36 and LTE then you are capped at 5GB

there is no addition of the cap limits

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 9, 2013 6:55:18 PM
(0)
Voyager

how does that apply to just using 3G?  if a 3G/LTE capable phone only uses 3G data, by choice, 3G would be capped at 5GB; right? 

Doesnt that contradict to this 3G - 3GB cap?

I'm only asking because, Honolulu HI, (I believe) is still establishing LTE state wide, 3G is more available.  I've used the Ookla speed test on LTE on certain spots of our island (Oahu) and it varies between 2mpbs to +20mbps depending on the area/interference - mostly on the lower spectrum.  on 3G, it's much more stable  around 5-6 mbps.  So why waste my battery on LTE on something more varied, so I've turned LTE off to be on 3G.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 9, 2013 8:19:37 PM
(0)
Employee

sirhchris wrote:

how does that apply to just using 3G?  if a 3G/LTE capable phone only uses 3G data, by choice, 3G would be capped at 5GB; right? 

Doesnt that contradict to this 3G - 3GB cap?

I'm only asking because, Honolulu HI, (I believe) is still establishing LTE state wide, 3G is more available.  I've used the Ookla speed test on LTE on certain spots of our island (Oahu) and it varies between 2mpbs to +20mbps depending on the area/interference - mostly on the lower spectrum.  on 3G, it's much more stable  around 5-6 mbps.  So why waste my battery on LTE on something more varied, so I've turned LTE off to be on 3G.

The 5GB/3GB caps are not based on which network you are using, they are based on your phone. If your phone is LTE capable, the cap is 5GB whether you are on LTE or not. If your phone is not LTE capable, the cap is 3GB. 

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 22, 2013 6:46:44 AM
(0)
Tutor

WRONG!!! When I signed up for an unlimited data plan it didn't state if I went over a certain amount of GB I would be penalized with slower speeds. But I was looked upon as a "valuable customer" and thanked for being a loyal customer since it was Cingular. If this poor business decision to lower speeds is right it would have happened when I first signed up and not now. Their hope is that they can make the service so bad that all the grandfathered accounts would leave and they would no longer have anymore. When technology improves and customers begin to use it they should not be punished for doing so. When I signed up for unlimited it was unlimited Internet at the speed I was using at that time. They are punishing me for no legitimate reason at all!!!!!!! It's my choice to watch videos, my DVR or browse as much as I would like to do so. AT MY ORIGINAL SPEED!!!! I travel and work remotely so I'm not always in a WiFi environment. I am a loyal customer

[Legal discussions are not permitted per the Guidelines]

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 22, 2013 8:01:30 AM
(0)
Mentor

I read that only 30% of AT&T's customers are still on unlimited data.  As that percentage becomes even smaller, then AT&T may ease up on the throttling policy--and it seems that in some markets that is already happening.  Even throttled, the grandfathered plans are far cheaper and a better value than the current data share plans. 

Recent statements by by executives have indicated that AT&T will likely abandon its subsidy model soon and I think at that point there will be a shift of customers toward prepaid and even more people will abandon their grandfathered plans. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 22, 2013 8:18:00 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Shaw06 wrote:
WRONG!!! When I signed up for an unlimited data plan it didn't state if I went over a certain amount of GB I would be penalized with slower speeds. But I was looked upon as a "valuable customer" and thanked for being a loyal customer since it was Cingular. If this poor business decision to lower speeds is right it would have happened when I first signed up and not now. Their hope is that they can make the service so bad that all the grandfathered accounts would leave and they would no longer have anymore. When technology improves and customers begin to use it they should not be punished for doing so. When I signed up for unlimited it was unlimited Internet at the speed I was using at that time. They are punishing me for no legitimate reason at all!!!!!!! It's my choice to watch videos, my DVR or browse as much as I would like to do so. AT MY ORIGINAL SPEED!!!! I travel and work remotely so I'm not always in a WiFi environment.

In the terms of service, there is a section about fair use in the terms of "unlimited". AT&T determines what the "unlimited" fair use is. Because of the legal language in the terms of service, (which you agreed to when you signed your contract with AT&T)

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 22, 2013 12:46:38 PM
(0)
Tutor
Hello kdfedere,
In life many times it takes the right person to bring forth the information needed to bring justice to many who need it and didn't know how to seek it or didn't have the means to do so. Your scare tactic will not work on me. I suggest if you don't like my post then keep it moving and read something else as I will proceed as I desire.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 22, 2013 12:49:21 PM
(0)
Expert

Shaw06 wrote:
Hello kdfedere,
In life many times it takes the right person to bring forth the information needed to bring justice to many who need it and didn't know how to seek it or didn't have the means to do so. Your scare tactic will not work on me. I suggest if you don't like my post then keep it moving and read something else as I will proceed as I desire.

better read your terms of service before you do anything, you can be spending a lot of money for nothing before you find out there is only one method to follow that you agreed to when you signed the binding contract

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 22, 2013 1:03:15 PM
(0)
Tutor
Trust me...I have done so. And you stated the right word "CONTRACT". If it isn't in the original contract how much data I must use OR ELSE then there is a BREACH of "CONTRACT". Thanks!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 22, 2013 1:50:38 PM
(0)
Professor

Shaw06 wrote:
Trust me...I have done so. And you stated the right word "CONTRACT". If it isn't in the original contract how much data I must use OR ELSE then there is a BREACH of "CONTRACT". Thanks!

They aren't limiting how MUCH data you can use, just how fast.  There still is no limit on the AMOUNT of data you can use.  Is there anything written in your contract that states that all of your unlimited data will be provided at the same speed?

AT&T started data throttling a couple of years ago.  If no one has been able successful in making them reverse that in that time.........................  I'm just sayin'

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 22, 2013 2:28:27 PM
(0)
Tutor
Duh!!! The decreased speed is based on my data usage. Duh!!! Oh...and not to mention to the point where I can't use Internet AT ALL!! Excuse me but this isn't rocket science and trust me I will update you at a later date. Unless I have to sign a clause not to do so because they decided to settle and remove throttle parameters from our accounts. Have a great evening!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 22, 2013 3:20:15 PM
(0)
Expert

Shaw06 wrote:

Sorry if you did read it you missed a major point concerning what you claim you are going to do, hint the word starts with begins with arbi. Look at section 2.2 of the user agreement.

Point 1 a data plan is a feature not part of the contractual agreement so it can be modified or removed at any time with no reprecussions to the contract. The example of this is that you can replace the smartphone with a basic device and remove the data at any time during the two year contractual agreement and not have any "breach of contract" on your part. Only the voice portion of the service is the contract on a smartphone, everything else is a feature that can be added or remved any time during the 2 year  contract if it is not required by the device type

Point 2 the fup states that if the carriers determines that there is an abuse of the feature steps can be taken, the determination of what constitutes abuse is left to the carrier section 6.2, again something you agreed to when you entered into the voice contract

Ya ain't got a leg to stand on but hey it is your time and money

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 22, 2013 8:07:41 PM
(0)
Tutor
Once again...scare tactics don't work here!! No need to add your 2 cents as I it will not make a difference. Besides what you just typed isn't in my agreement.

Have fun doing seething more constructive.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 22, 2013 8:12:06 PM
(0)
Tutor
"Something more constructive"

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 22, 2013 9:14:21 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

From your subject, I can tell that you have a newer iPhone (iPhone 5, 5c or 5s).  Since the last iPhoen which could still be purchased as a new line with a new data plan that could get an unlimited data plan was the iPhoen 3Gs, it is fairly obvious that you have upgraded your iPhone at least once since your original contract.  With each new iPhone you have updated to, you have been presented with the TOS which you agreed to in order to use the service. 

BTW, had you not upgraded to an LTE capable device, you would have known that the unlimited data plans are throttled at 3GB for 3G or slower devices, not the 5GB limit for LTE capable devices.  We actually upgraded my wife from an iPhone 4 to an iPhone 5 a year ago because she was hitting that lower throttling 3GB limit on her iPhone 4 (limited to 3G service).

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 23, 2013 6:59:00 AM
(0)
Expert

Shaw06 wrote:
Once again...scare tactics don't work here!! No need to add your 2 cents as I it will not make a difference. Besides what you just typed isn't in my agreement.

Have fun doing seething more constructive.

really - here you go, links to the mentioned section that you do not have in your "agreement"

Section 2.2 - http://www.att.com/shop/en/legalterms.html?toskey=wirelessCustomerAgreement#arbAgreement

Section 6.2 - http://www.att.com/shop/en/legalterms.html?toskey=wirelessCustomerAgreement#whatAreTheIntendedPurpos...

• If you are an AT&T unlimited data plan customer, AT&T may migrate you from the unlimited data plan to a tiered data plan and bill you the appropriate monthly fees. We will provide you with notice of this change at least one billing cycle in advance either by a bill insert, email, text message, or other appropriate means;
  • AT&T may interrupt, suspend, cancel or terminate your wireless data services without advance notice.

• Unlimited Data Customers. If you are a grandfathered AT&T unlimited plan data service customer, you agree that “unlimited” means you pay a fixed monthly charge for wireless data service regardless of how much data you use. You further agree that “unlimited” does not mean that you can use AT&T’s wireless data service in any way that you choose or for any prohibited activities, and that if you use your unlimited data plan in any manner that is prohibited, AT&T can limit, restrict, suspend or terminate your data service or switch you to a tiered data plan

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 23, 2013 8:47:03 AM
(0)
Scholar

Shaw06 wrote:
Duh!!! The decreased speed is based on my data usage. Duh!!! Oh...and not to mention to the point where I can't use Internet AT ALL!! Excuse me but this isn't rocket science and trust me I will update you at a later date. Unless I have to sign a clause not to do so because they decided to settle and remove throttle parameters from our accounts. Have a great evening!

Again, as others have pointed out--show us where it says that you are guaranteed a set/minimum (download) speed?  You paid for a service that permits you to access AT&T's data network, not for being able to access it at speeds acceptable to you.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 23, 2013 10:43:34 AM
(0)
Community Manager

I'd like to thank everyone for participating. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and is now closed.

-Mariana

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.