Posted Nov 26, 2012
ATT wireless Unlimited Data is limited to 5Gb

4G LTE has just been turned on in the Little Rock Market and I have exceeded 5Gb of data usage for the first time in 5 years of owning Iphones and having unlimited data.  My download speed was around 14 Mb on LTE and now its about 768K.  I totally don't like this, I think I am being robbed too.  ATT is my home ISP and I plan to research the LR market for alternatives that don't have bandwidth rate limiting or bandwidth caps.  Naturally the argument that an unlimited data plan should be "UNLIMITED" doesn't carry any weight with ATT, after all I do have access to the internet, just not good access.  I could even go along with this without a real fuss if the bandwidth limit was around 3Mb down but to drop me to 768K is bullsxit.

ATT wireless Unlimited Data is limited to 5Gb

54 replies
(4) Me too
(4) Me too
Replies
(54)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 26, 2012
(0)

lfcou wrote:

4G LTE has just been turned on in the Little Rock Market and I have exceeded 5Gb of data usage for the first time in 5 years of owning Iphones and having unlimited data.  My download speed was around 14 Mb on LTE and now its about 768K.  I totally don't like this, I think I am being robbed too.  ATT is my home ISP and I plan to research the LR market for alternatives that don't have bandwidth rate limiting or bandwidth caps.  Naturally the argument that an unlimited data plan should be "UNLIMITED" doesn't carry any weight with ATT, after all I do have access to the internet, just not good access.  I could even go along with this without a real fuss if the bandwidth limit was around 3Mb down but to drop me to 768K is bullsxit.

you hit the throttle limit that has been in the agreement for years and started to be enforced in the past year or so. 3G is throttled at 3GB, LTE is throttled at 5GB. you have unlimited data, just not at the unlimited bandwidth you want, Your choices are to switch to a tiered plan or one of the new mobile shared. You will never be throttled on either of those plans, but you do pay for overages

Even home bandwidth is capped - there is a current ISP in the cable world that enforces caps on home use, that cap limited is dependant on your speed - 30MB is capped at 250GB, 100MB is capped at 500GB, exceed it multiple months and they terminate your service and will not reconnect.

the fair use policy has been around for years, they are enforcing it on grandfathered unlimited plans

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: ATT wireless Unlimited Data is limited to 5Gb

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 26, 2012
(0)

OP, on the one hand I can sympathize with your plight...but on the other hand, wingrider is right--pretty much, unlimited data doesn't mean/guarantee unlimited speeds...let alone nowhere in the TOS does it mention anything about a guaranteed minimum download/upload speed.  Again, it sucks to be throttled but you're pretty much out of luck as far as AT&T doing anything to change that.  If anything, you should be glad they bumped up the throttle limit on the unlimited data plan to 5 GB if the device associated with that plan is identified by AT&T as a LTE smartphone; think about it--the 4S is capable of (slightly) faster download speeds compared to pre-4S generation iPhones since it can connect to 4G...yet if you're using it on an unlimited data plan, you're still stuck with the 3 GB throttle limit (someone please correct me if I'm wrong here).

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 4, 2012
(0)
The point the guy is making is that AT&T is screwing LTE users because their data statistics are wrong. You can go through 5GB way too quickly and they need to change the data cap to 10GB. AT&T is stingy and ripping all of their customers off because its almost 2013. If you have unlimited data plan with AT&T that means you've been paying them well enough to not be data capped at 768k. Ridiculous that you can defend AT&T for screwing their long-term customers.

It's time AT&T move into the future and start allocating more data usage for their customers.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 4, 2012
(0)

xoxoxoxo wrote:
The point the guy is making is that AT&T is screwing LTE users because their data statistics are wrong. You can go through 5GB way too quickly and they need to change the data cap to 10GB. AT&T is stingy and ripping all of their customers off because its almost 2013. If you have unlimited data plan with AT&T that means you've been paying them well enough to not be data capped at 768k. Ridiculous that you can defend AT&T for screwing their long-term customers.

It's time AT&T move into the future and start allocating more data usage for their customers.

Sorry they don;t need to change anything, of the top 3 there is only one carrier with unlimited data left - sprint. Verizon got rid of theres and they are sunsetting the plan by stating the simple fact - you want a subsidized cost on a upgrade, then get rid of unlimited data, you want to keep unlimited data then pay full retail for the phone. Caps and usage restritcitons are here to stay in the wireless and broadband.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 4, 2012
(0)

Caps and throttling are OK.  An unreasonably low limit (e.g., 5GB) is not.  As technology gets faster, the threshold should rise (e.g., 10GB for LTE).

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 4, 2012
(0)

xoxoxoxo wrote:

Define "more".  And technicaly, you are not limited to 5 GB--you can use more than 5 GB, just that the rate of consumption slows dramatically once you go past 5 GB.  But hey, AT&T does offer you options where there are indeed allocating more data usage--you can pay a la carte per GB once you go past your allotment if you're on an individual tiered data plan...or you can subscribe to one of the higher-bucket Mobile Share plans--I believe there is a 20 GB Mobile Share plan--and you can even pay a la carte per GB if you go over your Mobile Share allotment as well.

Sounds like what people like yourself are looking for is that AT&T should allocate more data to you, but not charge you more for doing so.  And before you assume that I have little sympathy for unlimited data plan users--I am on an unlimited data plan on my iPhone 5 and I wouldn't be a happy camper if I got throttled; however, I also know how to tailor my data usage so that I won't get caught by surprise if I do wind up getting throttled.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 7, 2012
(0)
The max data plan used to be at one point 200MB, maybe even lower.

Guess what it is today...5GB. Yes Times have changed, just like hard drives used to be a couple GB, now they are couple TB,
SO NOW that IVE EXPLAINED THE BASICS OF TECHNOLOGY ADVANCEMENTS. AT&T data statistics for LTE users are horribly wrong. Because, well it's brand new. It is to be expected.
and now with LTE speeds...we are capable of blowing through 5GB in less than 1 hour.

And so, with more complaints as people realize that they are being screwed by AT&T and others, the max data plan will rise. And so on and so on.

We are just the first to actually start complaining about it publicly. The max data plan will change. Mark my words. and it will very soon I'm sure of it.

And as an unlimited bandwidth user of AT*T i and many others have paid them well enough over the years TO NEVER BE DATA CAPPED AT 768K, THAT IS RIDICULOUS, at the very least it should be data capped at 4G. And I'm not paying them $10 a GB after all that I've already paid them to keep my existing unlimited data plan. ONCE again, the point is that ATT is screwing ALL of it's customers with these SMALL data plans. And they will be adjusting with the changing times very soon

i'm not responding anymore. ATT u better change this data cao crap

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 7, 2012
(0)
If someone blows through 5GB in one hour, that's entirely their doing. It not the fault of the phone or AT&T. People are responsible for how they use their phone. Even with wifi usage included, I don't even approach my 4GB limit.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 7, 2012
(0)

xoxoxoxo wrote:
The max data plan used to be at one point 200MB, maybe even lower.

Guess what it is today...5GB. Yes Times have changed, just like hard drives used to be a couple GB, now they are couple TB,
SO NOW that IVE EXPLAINED THE BASICS OF TECHNOLOGY ADVANCEMENTS. AT&T data statistics for LTE users are horribly wrong. Because, well it's brand new. It is to be expected.
and now with LTE speeds...we are capable of blowing through 5GB in less than 1 hour.

And so, with more complaints as people realize that they are being screwed by AT&T and others, the max data plan will rise. And so on and so on.

We are just the first to actually start complaining about it publicly. The max data plan will change. Mark my words. and it will very soon I'm sure of it.

And as an unlimited bandwidth user of AT*T i and many others have paid them well enough over the years TO NEVER BE DATA CAPPED AT 768K, THAT IS RIDICULOUS, at the very least it should be data capped at 4G. And I'm not paying them $10 a GB after all that I've already paid them to keep my existing unlimited data plan. ONCE again, the point is that ATT is screwing ALL of it's customers with these SMALL data plans. And they will be adjusting with the changing times very soon

i'm not responding anymore. ATT u better change this data cao crap

the only change that will occur is the plan will be sunsetted and removed, doubt you will ever see  cap increase. Before you claim they can't can't do it - they can and will since it is a discontinued plan and data it not part of the binding contract, just a requirement for a smartphone.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 8, 2012
(0)

dwill05 wrote:
If someone blows through 5GB in one hour, that's entirely their doing. It not the fault of the phone or AT&T. People are responsible for how they use their phone. Even with wifi usage included, I don't even approach my 4GB limit.

You beat me to it--if anyone can manage to find a way use 5 GB of data in one hour, period--it won't matter whether they blowing through it over LTE, 3G, or 4G--they'll eventually wind up using 5 GB regardless.  IOW, anyone who manages to use 5 GB in one hour isn't doing so from downloading email messages or viewing simple web pages.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 4, 2013
(0)
Been a customer with y'all since it was Cingular and I've been haveing unlimited data since it pretty much came out. I see what y'all are trying to do and its reasonable because everyone has a phone and you network can only handle so much but with the money y'all make every month you should be able to have this Mega network that can handle the whole usa. You say that customers with unlimited data plans are simply rare! If we are so rare why do you have to cap our plans. Y'all slowed me down so much I can't even access the app market!!!! My work requires me to be away from home 3 weeks out the month and my phone is the only way to stay in touch with my other life back at home. please fix this give us a 10gb cap and I will be happy

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 4, 2013
(0)

jleblanc1985 wrote:
Been a customer with y'all since it was Cingular and I've been haveing unlimited data since it pretty much came out. I see what y'all are trying to do and its reasonable because everyone has a phone and you network can only handle so much but with the money y'all make every month you should be able to have this Mega network that can handle the whole usa. You say that customers with unlimited data plans are simply rare! If we are so rare why do you have to cap our plans. Y'all slowed me down so much I can't even access the app market!!!! My work requires me to be away from home 3 weeks out the month and my phone is the only way to stay in touch with my other life back at home. please fix this give us a 10gb cap and I will be happy

doubt that will happen, suspect teh plan will be sunsetted before that occurs. You have the ay to resolve it, just switch to the metered plan or the new mobile share plan, no throttling, you just pay for the amount you use over and above the cap - 3G is 3GB, LTE is 5GB

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 4, 2013
(0)

jleblanc1985 wrote:

My wife & I have been customers just as long (or maybe even a little longer, wasn't the name Cellular One before it became Cingular?)  In any case, if you don't want throttling, then you can sign up for a metered/tiered plan.  Those plans don't get throttled, but you do pay for your usage over the amount you have on your plan.  In other words, if you pay $30 for 3GB, then when you go over 3GB, you pay for an extra GB (about $10 per GB), and each time you use that GB up, you pay for another.  You don't get throttled, and since you are using it for business then it is a valid business expense...

As someone else mentioned, you could also sign up for a shared data plan.  I believe that ther is a 10GB shared data plan you could get, and if you got over that 10GB, I believe it is about $10/GB for each extra GB you use.  For my wife & I, we could almost switch the the 10GB shared plan, and come out about even, except that she would not get throttled when she exceeds her 5GB allotment (I seldom use more than 2GB myself so she could use up to 8GB and we would still be under our 10GB shared, and she would not get throttled).

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 9, 2013
(0)

The unlimited data structure was never sustainable.  The idea that you could have unlimited without people abusing it and consuming all the bandwidth wasn't feasible.  We're just starting to have to deal with the consequences now. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 12, 2013
(0)

i guess their is no such thing as TRUE unlimited data!! always a draw back or a hidden data cap.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 12, 2013
(0)

graphite07 wrote:

i guess their is no such thing as TRUE unlimited data!! always a draw back or a hidden data cap.

There is true unlimited.  You can get it one of two ways: "Fast & expensive", or "Slow & cheap".  The problem is that the "Slow & cheap" plan is not available anymore unless the person already has it.  No hidden caps, but yes, drawbacks.  To sip from the firehose, you have to pay the waterbill for that firehose.  To have a lower waterbill, you don't get as much pressure, so you have a slower water flow.  I figure that is the best comparison since the internet is a series of tubes/pipes.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 5, 2013
(0)

In summary I have been a customer for a family plan for over a decade with ATT and never had any issues or knowledge of this problem.   My wife and I both have unlimited plans we grandfathered a few years back.   My kids are home on vacation and have been watching cartoons on my phone for a few days suddenly i get that warning email that everyone has mentioned.   Surprised and baffled I leave it alone to se what happens.   After I hit the 5gb limit I drop to under 500k down.   I cann ATT and the manager proceeds to tell me that due to the face that the data is not unlimited for ATT because of the FCC limitations they need to do this.   I am from the idustry so almost past out laughing at the BULL ATT is pulling on the customers calling in with this problem.   After a few statments the manager just kept apologizing but refused to correct anything unless I switch to another plan.  

[Legal discussions are not permitted per the Guidelines]

When ATT is throttling my service to a speed that phrohibits me from normally using my unlimited service as I hav been paying for years essentially the company is denying me service which I have been and am paying for.   This can be painted with various brushes but essentially that is the whole reason why I kept this service for years otherwise I would be a free agent moving from carrier to carrier for the best deal.

This is by far not over, I would like to solicit advise and remedies to this service interruption that I continue to pay for monthly.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 5, 2013
(0)

AndreySLOWDATA wrote:

In summary I have been a customer for a family plan for over a decade with ATT and never had any issues or knowledge of this problem.   My wife and I both have unlimited plans we grandfathered a few years back.   My kids are home on vacation and have been watching cartoons on my phone for a few days suddenly i get that warning email that everyone has mentioned.   Surprised and baffled I leave it alone to se what happens.   After I hit the 5gb limit I drop to under 500k down.   I cann ATT and the manager proceeds to tell me that due to the face that the data is not unlimited for ATT because of the FCC limitations they need to do this.   I am from the idustry so almost past out laughing at the BULL ATT is pulling on the customers calling in with this problem.   After a few statments the manager just kept apologizing but refused to correct anything unless I switch to another plan.  

When ATT is throttling my service to a speed that phrohibits me from normally using my unlimited service as I hav been paying for years essentially the company is denying me service which I have been and am paying for.   This can be painted with various brushes but essentially that is the whole reason why I kept this service for years otherwise I would be a free agent moving from carrier to carrier for the best deal.

This is by far not over, I would like to solicit advise and remedies to this service interruption that I continue to pay for monthly.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Just read the paperwork you signed either electronicly or physically and you will see there is nothing that can be done,  att or any carrier - including broadband providers are well within letter of the agreement you signed. Besides you are getting unlimited data, just not at the speeds you believe you feel you should be at - if the data was cut off at 5GB then you might have a arguement depending on how the agreement is written.

Your remedy - switch to tiered, mobil share or another carrier that still claims to offer unlimited data - but again read the paperwork before you believe it.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 5, 2013
(0)

Not this argument about throttling on unlimited data plans again?  If people really believed that AT&T is in the wrong for throttling, then hypothetically what's to prevent someone to claim AT&T is in the wrong if all of a sudden he's now getting 2 Mbps speeds whereas earlier he was getting 4 Mbps?  Seriously--you folks who keep arguing that AT&T has no right to throttle your unlimited data plans...point out exactly where in the AT&T TOS for unlimited data plans does AT&T guarantee that your data speeds will always be at least X Kbps/Mbps, no matter how much data you use?  If you can't offer up this evidence, then please...enough with the whining in this forum about how it's unfair that you're being throttled--no amount of whining here is going to change AT&T's stance on throttling speeds on unlimited data plans...take your complaints directly to AT&T corporate if it bothers you that much.

And before you folks tell me that I have no say in all of this--I too am on an unlimited data plan; now granted I've yet to have been throttled...but then again, I've never gone over my limit (5 GB) either...but if I did, sure I'd be bummed but I wouldn't whine about how unfair it is that I got throttled.  I made my own bed, so now I have to sleep in it...

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 5, 2013
(0)

The most amusing thing is how quickly true customers that have been deceived by improper claims and marketing are so eager to give up and let ATT corporate walk all over them.   What's next pay anything any corporation wants and forget about the claims and promises of services that have been made for a decade, I don't think so.

If I were one of those customers that abused the network in the last 3 years since the unlimited plan was discontinued I would not be posting this 3 years later therefore now that I have finally attempted to use the service I have been paying for I am being penalized, well I don't think it's fair and evidently others also agree.

If ATT really wanted to be fair to the unlimited data customers then they should have roll-over data plan just like they do minutes then that would really distinguish between true abusers and sporadic users that have spikes in demand.

But that would be against their revenue model clearly. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 5, 2013
(0)

AndreySLOWDATA wrote:

The most amusing thing is how quickly true customers that have been deceived by improper claims and marketing are so eager to give up and let ATT corporate walk all over them.   What's next pay anything any corporation wants and forget about the claims and promises of services that have been made for a decade, I don't think so.

If I were one of those customers that abused the network in the last 3 years since the unlimited plan was discontinued I would not be posting this 3 years later therefore now that I have finally attempted to use the service I have been paying for I am being penalized, well I don't think it's fair and evidently others also agree.

If ATT really wanted to be fair to the unlimited data customers then they should have roll-over data plan just like they do minutes then that would really distinguish between true abusers and sporadic users that have spikes in demand.

But that would be against their revenue model clearly. 

sorry to burst your conspiricy bubble, but have been a customer for att since before they where broken up by the courts, again another burst, I don;t let any company "walk all over me". I take the time to read any contractual agreement that I enter in to and have been aware of the clauses for taking action that has written into the FUP since I first signed it for a blackberry with unlimited data (notice no wording claiming unlimited speed). I do in fact take ATT, Verizon, Sprint, Rogers, Globalstar to task when there is a legitimate problem, which complaining about any corporation holding to the binding terms that the end user agreed to is not.

What att needs to do is the same thing that verizon did, sunset the grandfathered plan and get rid of it once and for all. That will resolve all the problems once and for all. To be truthful, I don;t understand the business decision of grandfathering the plan with no fail safe like they did with the "no data plan required for a smartphone" feature. That failsafe was it was tied to the account and the device - got rid of the device you got rid of the feature.

Really cannot understand how them adhering to a policy you agreed to is "against their revenue model", since the "revenue model" for ANY business from a corner lemonade stand run by a couple of 8 year olds to a fortune 10 corporation is to make money, I do the same for my company - I have a "revenue model" that is designed to show a profit. They are enforcing terms that where in the original agreemeent - if you read the fine print on any other carrier you will see the same exact terms are there also.

Previously aka 3 years ago there was a globally there where about 270 million smartphones, and the majority of them where in the hands of business, very few in the civilian world, the terms where there at that point but there was not enough usage to make enforcement of the policy financially feasable, and there where no customized apps that could be loaded, 2013 there are about 530 million smartphones globally - and hundreds of thousands of apps for those phones, preditions that by 2016 there will be about 1,200 million smartphones globally and the number of apps will exponentially go up over those years.

Now it is a bandwitch problem for ANY carrier. Verizon and ATT have dropped unlimited because of economics, Sprint i keeping it but they are on the financial ropes, A japanese company is in the market to buy them - softbank, will be willing to be that as a cost cutting measue, their unlimited plan will ride off into the sunset also.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 5, 2013
(0)

I thought I utilized my phone pretty well and in a months time I still only use maybe 2GB but I don't stream TV or movies on mine.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 5, 2013
(0)

So you seem to be a pretty intelligent individual clearly siding with ATT but tell me this, I as a customer for over a decade, 3 years on the family unlimited plan paying every month underutilizing the imposed limits even without any knowledge and now that my kids are off on vacation and have actually used the plan as marketed, described and perceived by all customers suddenly to get shut down half way through my billing cycle.   What would any normal response be ?   I was wronged as well as all customers who are on this plan "FAKE, MAKE BELIEF" unlimited plan is. 

So what I would ask you do you think it's fair in my particular case what happened to my family today ? 

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 5, 2013
(0)

AndreySLOWDATA wrote:

So you seem to be a pretty intelligent individual clearly siding with ATT but tell me this, I as a customer for over a decade, 3 years on the family unlimited plan paying every month underutilizing the imposed limits even without any knowledge and now that my kids are off on vacation and have actually used the plan as marketed, described and perceived by all customers suddenly to get shut down half way through my billing cycle.   What would any normal response be ?   I was wronged as well as all customers who are on this plan "FAKE, MAKE BELIEF" unlimited plan is. 

So what I would ask you do you think it's fair in my particular case what happened to my family today ? 

If this is directed at me what I was merely wanting to know how does one consume that much data unless you are watching movies or TV shows I utilize most of my phone everyday but will admit no movies or TV shows an occasional you tube or music video but mainly internet,mail,face time and certain apps that require data (maps,GPS,Weather).

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 5, 2013
(0)

AndreySLOWDATA wrote:

perfectly fair, the terms are documented, I hold my customers to the letter of their contract, I expect any company that I made a contract with to hold me to the letter of the contract.

there are two ways of controling usage

1. stay on the discontinued plan and let ATT regulate data usage by throttling when going over.

2. switch to tiered and pay for the additional data.

Another thing, if this is a Iphone 5 - I suspect it is since you are saying 5GBm which is the throttle limit for lte, for 3g it is 3GB, it used to be when the phone was plugged into a charger and it went into hibernation the wi-fi stayed on, sometime since the 5 came out that has changed, plugged in or not the wi-fi turns off when the phone hibernates and what ever app that is using data automaticly switches to cellular. Have verified this utilizing a sniffer and monitoring the unique MAC address of the phone, off hibernation the MAC address is present, hibernate and within 5 seconds the MAC address disappears from the trace.

Again sorry to disagree with your statement ""FAKE, MAKE BELIEF" unlimited plan is", the plan states unlimited data, it does not state that you will recieve the data and full speed if you exceed the FUP policy. If the dat was 100 percent cut-off when you exceeded the limits, then you have a leg to stand on, it does not, so you do not. Read the policy

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 5, 2013
(0)

AndreySLOWDATA wrote:

Let's start this off with clarification.  You say you were "shut down half way through my billing cycle."  By this do you mean that your service was terminated, or that your data throughput rate was throttled to a slower rate, but still functional?  I as because that is where the distinction and problem comes in.  If your service was terminated, then you may have grounds to take AT&T to task for their actions, but if your servie was just slowed down, then you may feel slighted, but they have done nothing against the agreement entered into by both parties.

When I first got my unlimited data plan for a Blackberry, data was only available vie Edge, and it was somewhere around 150 Kbps.  I was in heaven, because that was even faster than my home IDSL service which only ran at a max of about 140 Kbps.  I kept that unlimited data plan across 2 Blackberrys and now 3 or 4 iPhones.  I've known about the AT&T data throttling for many many months now, even though in the entire time I've had my plan I don't think I ever used more than 2.2GB in a single month.  In the month I used that much data, I know that I sat at a dog show and watched several hours of Netflix while waiting on my wife, so I knew my usage was going to be higher than normal that month, and I still didn't come close to the throttling cap.  My wife, on the other had, started hitting the 3GB "3G" throttling cap on her iPhone 4.  After 2 or 3 months of getting throttled, we upgraded her to an iPhone 5 and she went about 3 months before she started to hit the 5GB LTE throttling cap.  She was sitting at work and watching videos all day long and not even trying to do things like use wifi when available.  Now that she has hit the throttling limit on LTE a few times, she makes it a point to use wifi when she can, and she hasn't had a problem since.

AT&T has made it a point of telling us that they would start to throttle users if they exceeded a certain level of usage in any given month.  If you were not aware of this, you should have been, as it was openly discussed in several sources, and I believe it was even an insert in your monthly bill.  If a police officer gives you a ticket for speeding, and you tell the judge that you didn't see the sign, he is most likely going to tell you "ignorance is no excuse..." and similar should go for your phone usage.  You're not knowing about the policy changes doesn't mean that they shouldn't apply to you, it just means that you are more than likely to be inconvenienced by not knowing the restrictions.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 12, 2013
(0)
If the bandwidth is limited for the unlimited data accounts, but it is not limited for the 3G or 5G accounts and both plans would only charged for data exceeding that limit, but will never be speed limited? So you're saying an unlimited is limited and should upgrade to a different plan for use when data exceeds unlimited? Bandwidth is the speed at which the DATA is transferred separate of speed. One Gigabyte of data sitting on a hard drive is still one Gigabyte of data. Thus on a 4G AT&T network it will be at 4G speeds, or on a 3G network its transferred at 3G speeds. One gigabyte of data will travel at different speeds on each network, however it will STILL be one gigabyte of data. Data is set to unlimited but actually limited after 3G of data transferred or 5G on LTE, which is NOT in the contract.

I upgraded my 3G network smartphone to 4G because it was faster, and kept my grandfathered unlimited data and unlimited text, knowing they would be faster transferred over a faster network. My contracts, on paper, online, and on the AT&T current app, dont say a word about bandwidth limitations on an unlimited data account. Yes, I have hard copies of all of them, including complete web pages saved, and recorded phone conversations with AT&T service reps.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 12, 2013
(0)
I purchased a smartphone and upgraded from a 3G network to 4G because of speed. I also bought the unlimited data plan and unlimited text plan, knowing and being told by AT&T engineers that my unlimited amount of data (data) would travel over the 4G network at 4G speed (bandwidth). So no, I did not purchase unlimited data with unlimited bandwidth, I DID purchase, and continue to pay for unlimited data transfer over 4G network speed. That is what is speed limited.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 12, 2013
(0)

Unsatisfiedcomsumer-14 wrote:
I purchased a smartphone and upgraded from a 3G network to 4G because of speed. I also bought the unlimited data plan and unlimited text plan, knowing and being told by AT&T engineers that my unlimited amount of data (data) would travel over the 4G network at 4G speed (bandwidth). So no, I did not purchase unlimited data with unlimited bandwidth, I DID purchase, and continue to pay for unlimited data transfer over 4G network speed. That is what is speed limited.

the unlimited data plan was discontinued a number of years ago, you are grandfathered into it, The only change to unlimited texting was that if you had a qualifying voice plan you also got unlimited mobile to any mobile.

you are right, you DID purchase unlimited data usage, but you did NOT also get a promise unlimited speed, so they are well within their terms to limit the speed. If they where limited the data transfer you would get no data.