Posted Jun 27, 2012
8:46:06 PM
View profile
Where is Jelly Bean 4.1 for my Skyrocket
Don't even bother wasting time on ICS, I've had this phone for 8 months on launch day and I'm not even running the latest and greatest Android version. Att and Samsung need to wake up and give me what I paid for.

I should call the FCC about this
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Where is Jelly Bean 4.1 for my Skyrocket

30 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(30)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2012 7:13:23 AM
(0)
Tutor
No joke. I've had the Skyrocket since about the same time. It's silly how they haven't released ICS for the Skyrocket. I would love to have JellyBean on my phone but I just can't stand TouchWiz anymore.

Re: Where is Jelly Bean 4.1 for my Skyrocket

2 of 31 (28,564 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2012 12:09:48 PM
(0)
Scholar
Two words: Galaxy Nexus.

I had an SGH-I777, and switched to an international, penta-band GSM Galaxy Nexus configured for the "pure Google experience".

I have the latest version of ICS 4.0.4 (yakju IMM76I), and it's really stable. I'm now on day 26 without a reboot. Plus no TouchWiz or bloatware and updates come straight from Google.

And, I'm expecting that I'll have Jellybean before long.

No more carrier-subsidized phones for me.

3 of 31 (28,477 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2012 5:47:03 PM
(0)
Tutor
Maybe they're going to surprise us and release Jellybean instead of Ice Cream Sandwich! Who am I kidding, we'll probably wait another year before they downgrade us to FroYo and go "HURRRHURRR THIS WOULDN'T HAVE HAPPENED IF YOU HAD JUST BEEN GOOD LITTLE BOYS AND GIRLS AND BOUGHT iPHONES"

4 of 31 (28,395 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2012 7:26:12 PM
(0)
Guru
JaFiz... Your tongue was planted firmly in your cheek when you posted this... I'd bet anyway... And I lol'd when I read it!

5 of 31 (28,377 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2012 1:43:36 AM
(0)
Employee
I was waiting for someone to realize. If anyone read any post I made in this forum they'd know ha
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

6 of 31 (28,329 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2012 8:25:51 AM
(0)
Guru
I'm sure we'll have JB on our phones in the next month, thanks to XDA!

7 of 31 (28,273 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2012 9:24:59 AM
(0)
Contributor

Tabulate me as another unsatisfied customer.    

8 of 31 (28,250 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2012 5:31:19 PM
(0)
Employee
Yeah well have JB very soon it seems via XDA

and killer whack, I'm not unsatisfied it was a joke

9 of 31 (28,177 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 2, 2012 3:54:30 AM
(0)
Scholar

Considering all the problems Galaxy SII owners are having with their ICS updates, maybe it's a good thing ICS isn't available for our phones yet.  Who knows what havoc JB might cause.

10 of 31 (27,908 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 2, 2012 10:04:15 AM
(0)
Contributor

I got my Skyrocket back in February.  It still has the same OS version (Gingerbread) that came on it and AT&T tech support says that's the most recent available.  C'mon!  ICS has been out for over half a year (8 months)!  Is there one guy working on this with an ancient punchcard system?  Get it done, already!

When I purchased the phone I was told it would be updated as new versions release, but your release cycle is unacceptably slow!  When THREE operating system updates come out before you've released ONE, it is time to reevaluate your methods or your clients will reevaluate their vendor.  This is the epitome of poor support.

11 of 31 (27,835 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 3, 2012 1:11:21 PM
(0)
Contributor
I got my skyrocket not long after it came out, and the only update its had is gingerbread. Come on AT&T, give us Ice cream sandwich or jelly bean, hurry up.

12 of 31 (27,591 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 4, 2012 8:33:45 AM
(0)
Guru
dawiz, it's sad though that the carriers are so far behind that it's hard to distinguish between sarcasm and seriousness. I mean, imagine if Dell was selling computers with Windows 2000...

13 of 31 (27,428 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 4, 2012 9:00:58 PM
(0)
Tutor
I just got a skyrocket, I just assumed it will have ics. I am appalled to say the least. Wake up AT&T / Samsung, you are being totally ridiculous.

14 of 31 (27,326 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 4, 2012 10:09:50 PM
(0)
Tutor

Yeah I was actually misinformed too, I was told they were starting to preloaded the ICS on Skyrockets and bought one only to find out they pretty much lied. It's not the consumers fault for being annoyed about this, it's a fairly recent phone and there's already a successor and they weren't given what was promised to them at the launch basically.

15 of 31 (27,313 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 5, 2012 8:24:27 AM
(0)
Professor

As of two days ago, only 10% of all Android phones are running ICS eight months after release, so it's not just AT&T and Samsung, it's all carriers and all manufacturers. Get used to it. With so many different handsets with different hardware, it's only going to get worse.

16 of 31 (27,259 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 5, 2012 8:45:49 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

JFizDaWiz wrote:
Att and Samsung need to wake up and give me what I paid for.

I should call the FCC about this

Samsung considers all firmware updates as an extra cost to carriers, and doesn't consider them part of the included support for a device.  As far as Sammie is concerned, AT&T didn't pay for ICS or JB, and neither did you.

A poor example of product support, for sure.  But this is what I have read posted by a former Samsung employee on XDA.  Also one of the reasons that updates come so slowly from Samsung.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

17 of 31 (27,250 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 5, 2012 12:20:45 PM
(0)
Mentor

I don't expect to get Windows 8 for free, and I'm OK not getting ICS or JellyBean for free. Let me pay for it.   $10?  $30? It's reasonable and then the manufacturers can better justify spending their resources on it.  Turn a cost center into a profit center.

I'd pay for an upgrade

18 of 31 (27,195 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 7, 2012 12:59:21 PM
(0)
Teacher

ICS has been officially released for the Rogers (Canadian) version of the Skyrocket. Rogers releases updates for android phones faster than AT&T since they add less bloat so there's probably less testing required.. There is a port of the Roger's ROM on XDA for the AT&T Skyrocket - Sky ICS UXLF. It works fine - much better than any gingerbread ROM I have seen as far as speed, battery life, and features. It appears that development of new versions of Sky UXLF have stopped in the last couple of weeks as the dev is now working on a jellybean port.  I would bet that it will be released in the next couple of weeks but the Sky ICS ROM is fine until then.

19 of 31 (26,953 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 1, 2012 1:38:50 PM
(0)
Teacher

I am still waiting on Jelly Bean, but I got my Skyrocket last week and upgraded from Gingerbread to Ice Cream Sandwich with little trouble.

Samsung updates their phones with an application similar to iTunes. Their's is called "Kies".

http://www.samsung.com/us/kies/

Install that, open the program, follow instructions, and tell it to search for updates.

It will download and install ICS.

Oh, if Kies hangs on instalation, update your java and then retry and it should work.

Or, on your phone go to... http://www.samsung.com/us/attskyrocket/update

Then follow those instructions.

20 of 31 (23,277 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 4, 2012 3:10:16 PM
(0)
Teacher

I totally agree with UnusualSuspect!! I was using the Skyrocket for about 3 months and I remember this battle everyone was having with Samsung/AT&T about getting ICS 4.0. There were weeks (or months depending on when you jumped in) of debates about when ICS was coming and people yelling about how long it's taking, etc., etc. The Skyrocket was my first Android phone since leaving iPhone behind and I loved it. However, it didn't take me long to realize how confusing the Android platform really was. It wasn't because Android itself was confusing...it was because every manufacturer had their own "vision" about what the Android experience should be. I began to hate TouchWiz.

But I was stuck...at that time, I was still locked into 7 more months of a contract and the Galaxy Nexus was only available on Verizon. Then my contract ran out and I was deciding whether I should just upgrade to the Samsung Galaxy S3 and deal with TouchWiz when all of a sudden, Google started selling the GSM version of the Galaxy Nexus. I was able to pick one up that was only 3 weeks old from a guy on Craig's List for $300 cash and I couldn't be happier with my choice.

Even though the phone is slightly less superior than the S3, it still blows it out of the water considering the lack of TouchWiz and all the AT&T locks. One app that works well on the phone is Google Wallet. Just try downloading that app on your AT&T Android phone and see what happens when you try to open it. :smileywink: I'm so sick of these carriers choosing what software we should be using. How do you like that permanent Yellow Pages link in your contacts list?! Not on the Nexus.

Look, I pay good money for phones and cell service. Now that I've experienced a truly unlocked phone that works worldwide, I will never go back to a subsidized phone. I'm done with contracts and I'm done with forced software and user experience. If that means I have to pay full price for a phone, then so be it.

And yes, all my updates come from Google. No more waiting for Samsung and AT&T to put their spin on things. For all of you who love Android, but have never seen it in its native form, pick up a Nexus...trust me, you'll never go back.

21 of 31 (22,877 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 5, 2012 4:49:07 PM
(0)
Mentor

I just switched from GS2 Skyrocket to GS3. It was frustrating waiting on the updates. I finally got it but it was underwhelming. I decided I wouldn't worry about all these udates anymore. I will buy a phone only if I'm satisfied with the current software. ICS is good for almost everything, so when I got the S3, the sales guy said I would get jelly bean soon and I laughed. If they update it, fine, if not I'm satisfied with ICS. Just a note, I tried a program called Nova launcher Prime and was able to get rid of most of the touch wiz crap and let's you customize everything. It even has the updated jelly bean icons..Not an update but not bad.

22 of 31 (22,683 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 5, 2012 5:28:29 PM
(0)
Professor

SkyRocket is not getting Jellybean according Samsung's page, but it might not be updated

These is the list from Samsung's page

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/SupportOwnersFAQPopup.do?faq_id=FAQ00050212&fm_seq=55187

23 of 31 (22,676 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 15, 2012 6:42:48 AM
(0)
Mentor

There are ways of getting JellyBean on your SkyRocket.  CyanogenMod 10 is currently building nightlies for it.  Unfortunately, you have to do things which will void your warranty. But I can personally attest to how smooth and fast JellyBean is on the SkyRocket.  I suggest you find the Skyrocket forums at xda-developers.com to learn more.  If you've not heard of xda-developers, this will be overhwelming at first and "newbs" are often shunned, so in this case be patient and/or find someone who can help show you the ropes.

There Are Other Ways to get JellyBean on the Skyrocket

24 of 31 (21,812 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 15, 2012 1:24:23 PM
(0)
Guru

CM10 on Qualcomm-based devices is very well supported at this point.

I was previously not a fan of Qualcomm-based units due to their lack of support in the past, but in 2012 Qualcomm has REALLY stepped up their game in terms of opensource community relations in terms of providing excellent reference source at CodeAurora.  Thanks to CAF, Qualcomm-based Samsungs are currently VERY well supported in CM10.

--------------
CyanogenMod 9/10 device co-maintainer for:
SGH-I777 (AT&T Galaxy S2)
GT-N7000 (International Galaxy Note)
GT-N8013 (Galaxy Note 10.1 Wifi)

Re: There Are Other Ways to get JellyBean on the Skyrocket

25 of 31 (21,727 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2012 5:43:21 AM
(0)
Mentor
Entropy512, I just read your signature.... Thanks so much for your efforts and contributions!

26 of 31 (21,640 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 18, 2012 6:18:34 AM
(0)
Scholar

Since neither the Samsung Galaxy S2 (i777) or Skyrocket are getting Jelly bean per the Samsung website for ATT.  The only way to get it is to use google and find it, and follow the instructions.

27 of 31 (21,364 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2012 6:16:28 PM
(0)
Tutor

Yeah the heck with 4.1 lets get 4.2 and then lets get rid of all the stupid AT&T apps that come with it " cause they are all STUPID" OK sorry for ranting. AT&T "Rethink Possible"

28 of 31 (17,028 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 24, 2013 1:12:33 PM
(0)
Contributor

I updated my Skyrocket last week to ICS, was a HUGE MISTAKE.

I should have stayed on Ginerbread.

ICS SUCKS!!!!

My perfectly stable phone now reboots automatically, goes dead sometimes even though the battery is FULL and then I need to remove the battery if I have to re-start my phone.

Horrible release from ATT.

Please rectify the bugs or atleast provide a way to downgrade back to the GINGERBREAD.

Regards,

Navneet

29 of 31 (11,219 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 19, 2013 3:25:04 PM
(0)
Tutor

I just received a message from AT&T telling me that an update for the Skyrocket is available.  It is Jelly Bean....

30 of 31 (4,150 Views)