The Samsung Galaxy S24
JFizDaWiz's profile

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

Thursday, June 28th, 2012 3:46 AM

Where is Jelly Bean 4.1 for my Skyrocket

Don't even bother wasting time on ICS, I've had this phone for 8 months on launch day and I'm not even running the latest and greatest Android version. Att and Samsung need to wake up and give me what I paid for.

I should call the FCC about this

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

I got my skyrocket not long after it came out, and the only update its had is gingerbread. Come on AT&T, give us Ice cream sandwich or jelly bean, hurry up.

Guru

• 

552 Messages

12 years ago

dawiz, it's sad though that the carriers are so far behind that it's hard to distinguish between sarcasm and seriousness. I mean, imagine if Dell was selling computers with Windows 2000...

Tutor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

I just got a skyrocket, I just assumed it will have ics. I am appalled to say the least. Wake up AT&T / Samsung, you are being totally ridiculous.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

12 years ago

Yeah I was actually misinformed too, I was told they were starting to preloaded the ICS on Skyrockets and bought one only to find out they pretty much lied. It's not the consumers fault for being annoyed about this, it's a fairly recent phone and there's already a successor and they weren't given what was promised to them at the launch basically.

Professor

• 

2.1K Messages

12 years ago

As of two days ago, only 10% of all Android phones are running ICS eight months after release, so it's not just AT&T and Samsung, it's all carriers and all manufacturers. Get used to it. With so many different handsets with different hardware, it's only going to get worse.

Professor

• 

3K Messages

12 years ago

@JFizDaWiz wrote:
Att and Samsung need to wake up and give me what I paid for.

I should call the FCC about this

Samsung considers all firmware updates as an extra cost to carriers, and doesn't consider them part of the included support for a device.  As far as Sammie is concerned, AT&T didn't pay for ICS or JB, and neither did you.

A poor example of product support, for sure.  But this is what I have read posted by a former Samsung employee on XDA.  Also one of the reasons that updates come so slowly from Samsung.

Mentor

• 

32 Messages

12 years ago

I don't expect to get Windows 8 for free, and I'm OK not getting ICS or JellyBean for free. Let me pay for it.   $10?  $30? It's reasonable and then the manufacturers can better justify spending their resources on it.  Turn a cost center into a profit center.

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

12 years ago

ICS has been officially released for the Rogers (Canadian) version of the Skyrocket. Rogers releases updates for android phones faster than AT&T since they add less bloat so there's probably less testing required.. There is a port of the Roger's ROM on XDA for the AT&T Skyrocket - Sky ICS UXLF. It works fine - much better than any gingerbread ROM I have seen as far as speed, battery life, and features. It appears that development of new versions of Sky UXLF have stopped in the last couple of weeks as the dev is now working on a jellybean port.  I would bet that it will be released in the next couple of weeks but the Sky ICS ROM is fine until then.

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

11 years ago

I am still waiting on Jelly Bean, but I got my Skyrocket last week and upgraded from Gingerbread to Ice Cream Sandwich with little trouble.

Samsung updates their phones with an application similar to iTunes. Their's is called "Kies".

http://www.samsung.com/us/kies/

Install that, open the program, follow instructions, and tell it to search for updates.

It will download and install ICS.

Oh, if Kies hangs on instalation, update your java and then retry and it should work.

Or, on your phone go to... http://www.samsung.com/us/attskyrocket/update

Then follow those instructions.

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

I totally agree with UnusualSuspect!! I was using the Skyrocket for about 3 months and I remember this battle everyone was having with Samsung/AT&T about getting ICS 4.0. There were weeks (or months depending on when you jumped in) of debates about when ICS was coming and people yelling about how long it's taking, etc., etc. The Skyrocket was my first Android phone since leaving iPhone behind and I loved it. However, it didn't take me long to realize how confusing the Android platform really was. It wasn't because Android itself was confusing...it was because every manufacturer had their own "vision" about what the Android experience should be. I began to hate TouchWiz.

But I was stuck...at that time, I was still locked into 7 more months of a contract and the Galaxy Nexus was only available on Verizon. Then my contract ran out and I was deciding whether I should just upgrade to the Samsung Galaxy S3 and deal with TouchWiz when all of a sudden, Google started selling the GSM version of the Galaxy Nexus. I was able to pick one up that was only 3 weeks old from a guy on Craig's List for $300 cash and I couldn't be happier with my choice.

Even though the phone is slightly less superior than the S3, it still blows it out of the water considering the lack of TouchWiz and all the AT&T locks. One app that works well on the phone is Google Wallet. Just try downloading that app on your AT&T Android phone and see what happens when you try to open it. 😉 I'm so sick of these carriers choosing what software we should be using. How do you like that permanent Yellow Pages link in your contacts list?! Not on the Nexus.

Look, I pay good money for phones and cell service. Now that I've experienced a truly unlocked phone that works worldwide, I will never go back to a subsidized phone. I'm done with contracts and I'm done with forced software and user experience. If that means I have to pay full price for a phone, then so be it.

And yes, all my updates come from Google. No more waiting for Samsung and AT&T to put their spin on things. For all of you who love Android, but have never seen it in its native form, pick up a Nexus...trust me, you'll never go back.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.