Posted Jan 28, 2014
6:43:00 AM
When will LG optimus G e970 get Kitkat update???

We know that many sites are telling that Optimus G will get kitkat nearly and we dint got any confirmation from AT&T about the same...

If AT&T requests LG to bring kitkat, LG will, Just AT&T should go forward.

When will LG optimus G e970 get Kitkat update???

15 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
Replies
(15)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 29, 2014 8:56:11 AM
(0)
Employee

Hi pg421s,

The Optimus G should get the update, it has been rolled out in other countries, but there hasn't been an official announcement from AT&T. The updates are staggered due to the amount of different hardware between the international models and other carrier models in the US.

The e970 is pretty similar to the Nexus 4 (the e980). Keep checking back!

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: When will LG optimus G e970 get Kitkat update???

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 29, 2014 10:03:36 AM
(0)
Tutor

This is unfortunately not the case logo412. The LG Optimus G has not received an LG-approved upgrade for KitKat (4.4) anywhere. It was a (false) post from LG Estonia's Facebook page that turned out to be a separate upgrade not associated with Android versioning. It's a shame AT&T employees don't have their facts straight, offering false hopes to paying customers. 

pg421s, the LGOG is a powerful device ahead of its time, even on the first gen version of Android Jelly Bean (4.1), but LG is notorious for lackluster updates (they might believe "why upgrade an old device so users hold onto it longer instead of buying the latest and greatest, sending more money to Korean-based LG?")

That being said, LG has recently established itself as a strong competitor in the smartphone marketplace so the poor upgrading services for 1-2+yr old devices may change. I'd recommend keeping an eye on potential future updates being announced at Mobile World Congress held Feb. 24 - 27. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 2, 2014 12:12:43 PM
(0)
Mentor

frequent updates only mean to me that they are having trouble getting it right.  my LG doesnt seem to need an update, in fact I wish I could back-date it to how it was when I bought it!

but it is functional and lightening fast like always, altho I dont get online with it as often as I used to.

gosh ive only had it for half a year now.

it seems updates often cause more problems than they fix, I say, if it aint broke, please dont fix it !

of course I do not know or care what kit kat has to bring me, unless it is chocolate and crunch!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 5, 2014 4:33:30 AM
(0)
Tutor
First of all, LOL for your answer " It's a shame AT&T employees don't have their facts straight, offering false hopes to paying customers"...
Thanks for the correct update, Will have faith on LG and wait till we will get kitkat/not :-)

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 7, 2014 1:33:00 PM
(0)
Teacher

There are now numerous reports, including XDA, reporting that we are as close as one month away from getting Kit Kat. Hopefully these predictions are correct.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 11, 2014 5:48:25 PM
(0)
Tutor

OK, so LG HAS confirmed the update is pending:

http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_optimus_g_will_get_android_kitkat_in_summer-news-8140.php

It says the update is coming in summer.  Can we get some type of date for the release from AT&T?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 13, 2014 11:14:52 AM
(0)
Teacher

They take your hard earned money, lock you down for 2 years and go back on their way to find more of your kind to sell them new phones instead of supporting the existing one.  :-(

I am very disappointed and angry with LG and AT&T both. Will definitely try to stay away from them in future. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 15, 2014 12:03:24 AM
(0)
Tutor

Hi TMoneyman,

You are absolutely right, Today we have a news on GSMarena website that Korean LG optimus G are running Kitkat already now...

http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_optimus_g_gets_kitkat_in_korea_rest_of_the_world_holds_breath-news-8516.p...

Its time for AT&T to release OTA Kitkat update soon...

Hi dear AT&T,

Please let us know when we can hold in our hand ATT LG optimus G with Kitkat ???

Its time for AT&T to confirm release date...

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 15, 2014 12:08:24 AM
(0)
Tutor

Hi Sagar,

Dont blame LG / AT&T, They both are trying to give updates to LG OG...

As Kitkat is now running on Korean LG OG:

Proof- Korean website with Screen shots.

http://www.bodnara.co.kr/bbs/article.html?D=7&cate=24&d_category=8&num=107975.

Its now AT&T turn to answer the release date to its valued customers :-)

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 8, 2014 9:51:04 AM
(0)
Tutor

logo412, does AT&T have an update?  It has been rolled out in Moldova, and I was hoping we could get a solid ETA soon.  Thanks.

http://www.gsmarena.com/newscomm-8140.php

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 10, 2014 7:40:35 PM
(0)
Employee

Hi TMoneyMan, 

There has not been an offical annoucement yet on when this update might roll out. LG works closely with AT&T to test the update first to ensure that there isn't a poor user experience once it is fully rolled out. Keep checking back on the forums here for updates!

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 11, 2014 7:28:15 AM
(0)
Teacher

Hi logo412, 

Could you atleast tell us whether an update for LG Optimus G (E970) is being tested?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 21, 2014 5:30:31 AM
(0)
Tutor

Hi logo412,

Can you let us know when we are expecting to have 4.4.2 on our E970?

Because almost all worldwide versions of LG optimus G getting OTa updates.

Thanks

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 21, 2014 9:01:41 AM
(0)
ACE - Scholar

my guess is that att will not update this phone.  it was released in oct of 2012 which falls outside the 18 month update window for most phones these days.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.