The Samsung Galaxy S24
notacyborg's profile

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

Thursday, July 26th, 2012 5:28 PM

Visual Voicemail on Galaxy S3

I have an issue with my Galaxy S3 that perhaps can be resolved here.  I already tried calling support, but they were next to useless as their information was apparently outdated.

Backstory:

I purchased a Galaxy S2 Skyrocket back in November 2011.  This to my knowledge was the first Android phone I have had on at&t (previous phone was a Captivate) that included the Visual Voicemail app.  I was happy for this as I previously had an iPhone and missed the feature (ended up using Google Voice and later YouMail to restore this functionality).  Anyway, used this up until this month when I acquired a Galaxy S3.  Again, it had the Visual Voicemail app on it.  Set it up, worked great.  Only problem was they only had the blue phone and I really wanted the white phone.  So my wife was eligible for an upgrade and she prefers blue anyway so we went down and picked up a white phone, did some swapping and voila, got the phone I wanted, no big deal.  It's also a Galaxy S3.  While we were in the store I mentioned to them that my wife's voicemail never worked.  They checked on it and fixed her access whlie we were there.  i went ahead and setup the Visual Voicemail app on her phone and things were good.  Went to set it up on mine and it never work.  It goes through the process of setting it up and then fails to verify me.  One curious thing to note was that while the first S3 included the app, the second one did not.  It is available on the Play Store for download since it's apparently an eligible device.  Both phones included the at&t Messages app.  When I called support they said that the Messages app is what I am supposed to be using.  Messages works, but I hate it because it hijacks the SMS system.  It basically prevents the default SMS program from receiving text notifications.  I just want plain simple visual voicemail.  Is there any way to fix this problem without resorting back to Google Voice or YouMail again?  I don't understand why at&t has to make something so complicated.

Guru

• 

1K Messages

10 years ago

Have you tried uninstalling then reinstalling the app? Give that a shot and see if that solved your problem.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

No I hadn't done that. They told me on the support line that I have to do a factory reset. I don't have my phone backed up on the computer so I can't do that until I do. I am not good with the smartphone. Didn't really want one, got talked into it at the store when I needed a new phone. Right now I am able to access regular voicemail by holding down the #1 key. So that works for now. I don't know how to uninstall the app either! Really feel stupid now...my grandson could probably do it....oh well!

Guru

• 

1K Messages

10 years ago

Go to Settings, general, apps, find visual voicemail in the list which is in alphabetical order, tap the app name and tap the uninstall button. Restart the phone, go to the play store, search for ATT VISUAL VOICEMAIL, tap install. Once installed, you'll have to set it up...just follow the directions on the screen.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.