The Samsung Galaxy S24
jts's profile

Scholar

• 

89 Messages

Tuesday, June 17th, 2014 12:27 AM

Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini -- Do you have one?

If you have a Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini, would you mind answering a few Qs? (Thanks.)

1) If it's from AT&T directly, is it loaded with apps/bloatware you can't remove/disable?

2) If it's not from AT&T (generic, bought elsewhere, etc.), does it work with AT&T 4G-LTE?

3) What's the specific model#? (like GT-I91xx)

I'm shopping around for this phone, and have found that there are few different variations for different parts of the world, and many of them reportedly don't work with 4G-LTE on AT&T, so I'm doing my homework.

Thanks.

Guru

• 

450 Messages

10 years ago

Hi jts,

1. The pre-installed software can't be removed from the device, it is intergrated into the Firmware. 

2 and 3. I do not know what model you will need to buy if you are looking for an international edition of the device. Our LTE runs on bands 4 and 17. If the device supports those bands, you should have no issues getting it work with our LTE. 

Hope this helps!

Scholar

• 

89 Messages

10 years ago

logo412: Thanks so much for the quick reply and helpful info.

More about the pre-installed software that I can't remove... Are these simple AT&T-branded apps that I can just disable/hide somehow?

Over the years whenever I get an AT&T-branded phone, it always seems to include tons of "bloatware" -- apps that take up space and fill up the menus that I'll never use, and that may also cost me additional money if I accidentally run one.

I'm considering paying full price with AT&T for a new S4 Mini, so I'm hoping I can at least "push aside" (disable) apps I don't need or want.

Thanks.

Scholar

• 

89 Messages

10 years ago

Oh, another question for anyone with an AT&T-branded S4 Mini... Are there any obvious features/functions/apps that AT&T has removed or locked out from their S4 Mini that would otherwise normally be in a non-AT&T S4 Mini?

Sometimes carriers do that sort of thing, as frustrating as it is...

Guru

• 

450 Messages

10 years ago

Hi jts, 

On the demo model that I have played with I was unable to hide the AT&T apps from like the default settings. However most of the pre-installed apps (myAT&T, AT&T Code Scanner) don't cost anything so if they were used it wouldn't cost you anything. There are a number of 3rd party apps out there that allow you to create folders in the app tray that you could effectively "hide" all the apps in a folder never to see them. Keep in mind that Samsung also has a ton of apps it pre-loads on the device as well. 

As far as "removed features" I am not aware of any features that was removed that would be on the international model. If you give an example, I'm sure we can find out for you.

Scholar

• 

89 Messages

10 years ago

Ahhh, more great info from logo412. Thank you for all that.

Apps that add folders for organizing apps -- good tip. That will help declutter for sure.

If things come to mind about "missing" features, I'll post to this thread. What I do vaguely recall at the moment is some hubbub ([Edited to comply with Guidelines]) a few years ago with Verizon where they had allegedly disabled some Bluetooth functionality in some of their phones, perhaps to get people to use more data, or reduce tethering or network load, or some other scheme. I think the FTC or FCC got involved and it eventually got all cleared up, but it was a reminder of the things that carriers can do on phones they provide.

Scholar

• 

89 Messages

10 years ago

I have my new AT&T-branded Samsung Galaxy S 4 Mini, and I've discovered that I can disable most of the pre-loaded apps,whether AT&T or Samsung or Google. And by "disable", I mean that I usually have a choice of any of the following: removing it from the apps screen altogether (can be retrieved via Apps Manager); hiding it from the apps screen (very similar to disabling, and can be unhidden from the Apps screens); just brushing it into a folder on the apps screen to declutter the screen.

Mentor

• 

44 Messages

10 years ago

Could you verify the Android version of your S4 Mini and also verify that is does have the LED Notification Light feature? Thanks...

Scholar

• 

89 Messages

10 years ago

Android 4.2.2. LED light notification - yup, it's there, if I understand it correctly.

Mentor

• 

44 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks for the info...

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.