Posted Nov 18, 2013
8:12:20 PM
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 GPS Issue

Anyone else having issues with their Note 3 GPS? I'm having an issue were every time I plug or unplug the charger from my phone the GPS drops out. I have to then toggle the GPS on/off in my quick settings to get it working again while navigating. It also seems to drop the signal when I get an incoming phone call while using the navigation app. I have confirmed this same behavior on 2 other friends Note 3's. I'm hoping this is just a software issue that will be fixed in a future os update.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
Mar 27, 2014 8:38:41 AM
(0)
Community Manager

Hello, everyone!

Customers who have an AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 3 began to receive the latest version of Android 4.4 KitKat today.

For more information, please click on the link below.

Android 4.4 KitKat

-Mariana

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
854 replies
(121) Me too
(121) Me too
Replies
(854)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 23, 2014 7:17:23 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Phil-101 on Jan 23, 2014 at 7:31:54 PM

What is the certainty that KitKat release will fix all this?? They could still send the update with the culprit file(s). 

One more thing I wanted to discuss, I've was an iPhone user before this. I'm aware rooting is like jailbreak for iphones. But, if this GPS problem is not taken care of by AT&T, i'll consider rooting my note.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Re: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 GPS Issue

[ Edited ]
121 of 855 (10,451 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 23, 2014 7:38:36 PM
(0)
Tutor
What does rooting mean? How does that effect support/warranty?

122 of 855 (10,428 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 23, 2014 7:54:38 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by Streamlines on Jan 23, 2014 at 7:56:42 PM

Rooting is something more advanced users do to give them "super" or "root" access so that they can basically access/customize/change almost anything on their phone either by their own code or code other users have created.  

I honestly wouldn't even worry about rooting.  I have a heavy tech-background and find no need for it.  It's simply put, a very nit-picky thing to do to your phone if you really want to eek out and access the very depths and corners of your phone.  There are risks involved with rooting, and tampering with certain aspects of rooting can void warranties.  The average user, or even the above average user usually don't need to do it.

Although if you were interested in doing it and accept the risks, you'll be able to do amazing things with your phone that you can't if it was unrooted.  You'll also have access to apps in the playstore, some very powerful apps mind you, that only work if your phone is rooted.

Back to the subject:

GPS problems still running rampant, consistent with other users.  ATT, halp us.

[ Edited ]
123 of 855 (10,417 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 23, 2014 7:55:04 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by james27007 on Jan 24, 2014 at 8:12:51 AM

Well I'm at the 25 hour mark since my last factory reset. The phone has been on the entire time, no sim card and no wifi. Just tested with the plug/unplug test with a full GPS lock (25/25 sats at 4meters) and it is working correctly. I'm going to leave the phone as is and test again in about 11-12 hours.

@ctjay84 true, there is no certanity that KitKat will fix the GPS, but people that have flashed the "leaked" AT&T update have not had any issues with GPS, but that is not 100% confirmed.

It would be nice if AT&T fixed the issue and came out with a maintenance update...

[Edit] removed 

[ Edited ]
124 of 855 (10,416 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 24, 2014 2:50:35 AM
(0)
Mentor

@james27007 Yeah was gonna suggest you test it again at 36-48 hours and see. If we can confirm it working fine without an internet connection then we can narrow it down to some sort of update. I don't think it's an actual update like an app update, but probably some syncing thing the phone does around the 24 hour mark.

@brandonodang Yes the post that I linked to over at XDA, user superbfox already flashed the GPS fix and he says it works. Unfortunately you have to be rooted and Safestrap it so I haven't tried it. And there have been quite a few people who report that when they flash to the X-Note ROM the problem goes away too. I'm waiting on AT&T for the fix and only consider rooting and SS flash as my last resort.

You should consider heading over to the XDA forums and reading up on rooting. In layman's terms rooting is equivalent to gaining administrator privileges, it allows for you to install anything and everything, including different ROMs. ROMs are like all in one packages that change the look and feel as well as the operation of our phones. It's kinda like if you look at the HTC One, it looks and feel different as well as have different functions from our phone even though it runs 4.3 like us. Our Notes can use the stylus and the multi-window stuff because that's part of Samsung's TouchWiz ROM. So far the only other manufacturer that has copied the multi-window is LG with the dual-window feature on their LG G-Flex. So that's kinda what it is in a nutshell, although as mentioned earlier rooting does void your warranty. It's not as hard as it sounds with all the one-click available, my first root was back in the days with the OG Galaxy S Vibrant using adb, now that was a learning experience. But all the same, read very carefully and go very slowly. XDA is a wealth of knowledge and there are some very knowledgeable people there. 

125 of 855 (10,365 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 24, 2014 6:37:32 AM
(0)
Contributor

Yes!!  Me too!!

126 of 855 (10,334 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 24, 2014 6:58:41 AM
(0)
Teacher
For everyone that has this problem dont forget to go to the first posing and hit the I have this problem to button.

127 of 855 (10,327 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 24, 2014 7:46:19 AM
(0)
Community Manager

A big "Thank You" to everyone that PM'ed me with the requested location information. We are tracking the issue, and we'll be sure to let you guys know if we find a resolution.

-Mariana

Rethink Possible

For account specific help, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

128 of 855 (10,321 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 24, 2014 8:09:15 AM
(0)
Mentor

Joke:

Here's what ATT should do.  Hire a developer who's from out of town. Send him a Note 3 along with the address of his new office and tell him to navigate to his new office location.  Upon his arrival (which he'll certainly be late and frustrated), ask him "what would to like to fix first?". 

129 of 855 (10,312 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 24, 2014 8:53:01 AM
(0)
Scholar

At the 37-38 hour mark since factory reset, GPS still working perfectly when plugging unplugging the phone. I'm going to leave the sim card out, if it still works at 48 hours, I'll let the phone connect to WiFi but no sim and not signing into anything. I'm expecting that it will download the A-GPS data over wifi and within 12-24 hours after letting the phone connect to WiFi, the issue will return. We'll see.

130 of 855 (10,299 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 24, 2014 9:59:00 AM
(0)
Tutor
I have a question. I only have gps as my method of location tracking. I have network location disabled. Waze works perfectly...until the "gps issue" occurs. However, google maps doesn't register my location AT ALL. The gps icon does appear at the top of the screen. Now if I were to enable network location, google maps will show my location, albeit inaccurate. So my question is, why doesn't google maps behave the same as waze?

131 of 855 (10,284 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 24, 2014 10:17:03 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by salatara on Jan 24, 2014 at 12:37:42 PM

Don’t buy Or Replace your galaxy note 3 , untill they can  fix the problem  ( at&T Or Samsung )!  they all have Gps signal issue ,I Bought and replaced Samsung note 3 for 3 times  and that couldn’t solve the GPS signal issue , Not sure what’s the problem ( hardware or software ) I hated Samsung now and thinking to go back iPhone again , I called At&t and Samsung regarding this issue , but there is nothing they can do !!!! Except offering you a replacement ( that I already had 3 of them )  and came with same issue  !

according to Samsung they don't have any complaint regarding  Gps signal on note 3 , but that's not true , I myself called them at list  10 times to report this issue since the first time that I noticed that (3 months ago) ,,but Samsung keeps ignoring this issue !!! and they don’t care !!!!, I love to use Gps on my phone when I’m on the road , that’s why I decided to get large screen cellphone ( Samsung note ). But now I feel like I paid $700 for a defective device :smileysad:

[ Edited ]
132 of 855 (10,281 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 24, 2014 10:57:57 AM
(0)
Voyager

My husband and I are both having issues with our Note 3 and constantly losing gps signal. We just moved to Colorado and it's really easy to get lost here and end up in a black hole somewhere in the mountains. I would love a fix for this. I came over to the Note 3 kicking and screaming because I loved my iPhone but I quickly had to thank my hubby for forcing me to switch. I do love the phone but I would love it more if it didn't get me lost lol. I am thinking of buying a stand a lone gps system.

133 of 855 (10,268 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 24, 2014 11:32:23 AM
(0)
Mentor
Some one else pointed this out also:

EVERYONE... Please go to the original post, and click on the "I have this problem too"

Hopfully this will help escalate the issue with AT&T.

Next step, is everyone start posting on your Twitter, facebook, and other social media about this problem.

From what I can tell, EVERYONE has the problem, but most people only use thier GPS occasionaly, and do not notice the problem until they NEED to use thier GPS... or soeone points it out.

...Lets point it out to them....

134 of 855 (10,256 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 24, 2014 1:13:27 PM
(0)
Mentor

I've spoken with ATT ... the case number is:

cm20140124_81542408

I've also sent this info to ATTMarianaCM and hopefullly she'll provide some additional info.  They (ATT tech manager) told me that I would get a personal call from one of their developers by Jan 29th with at least some type of resolution (acknowledgment is all I'm really looking for at this point).

I'll report back as soon as I hear from them. 

135 of 855 (10,210 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 24, 2014 7:15:17 PM
(0)
Scholar
48 hour mark, no Sim card and no wifi. GPS still working perfectly. Ok I'm going to turn on wifi and see what happens, I'll report back in 24-25 hours unless it fails before that.

I wonder if the AGPS data can download with no Sim?

136 of 855 (10,139 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 24, 2014 7:29:34 PM
(0)
Voyager
Having same Gps signal lost issue. I have two friends having the same issue. Too many people have this issue. If iPhones would of had this issue it would be front page news!

137 of 855 (10,131 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 25, 2014 7:57:53 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by james27007 on Jan 25, 2014 at 7:59:27 AM

At about 7pm last night I connected to my house WiFi and GPS still worked. I then went out at about 8:15, I tethered my Note 3 to my Galaxy S2 (the sim card is in the S2) and it still worked.

just test again this morning; 12 hr mark since Wifi, and it's still working. I'll test again at about 8:30~am (12 hr mark since tether) and see if it makes a difference.

One thing that was odd, when I connected the Note 3 to my S2 by tether last night (8:15ish pm), I got the "Prevention Information" popup for the 1st time??? No idea if it is connected to the issue, but it is odd since that was a wifi to S2 and the S2 was on LTE.

[ Edited ]
138 of 855 (10,054 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 25, 2014 4:58:35 PM
(0)
Voyager

I just got my Note 3 yesterday and noticed my poor GPS performance today. 

I bought it at an AT&T store on the NEXT program. Can I return it and get a new replacement? What should I expect?

139 of 855 (9,988 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 25, 2014 7:44:05 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by james27007 on Jan 25, 2014 at 7:46:20 PM

Well 24.5 hours since I started using Wi-Fi (and yes I used gps a lot with Google maps), just tested 4 times including a simple reboot and it still works.

Now I'm going to sign into everything and install my apps. Just no SIM card. If all is good in 24hrs, I'm going to put the sum card back in. If it happens after that, I'm going to be convinced the issue is the A-Gps data.

I made a backup of the 6 gps config files. When the issue returns, I'll try and compare them and see what changed.

Does anyone know where the A-Gps data is stored?

[ Edited ]
140 of 855 (9,966 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 25, 2014 10:25:16 PM
(0)
Teacher

I have the same problem too. I replace my note 3 once. And it has the same old problem. I wished ATT and Samsung would do something about this. It is true, for an expensive phone it is really frustrating to find out it is just defective. not really worth the money or the switch from my previous iphone.

Ill probably start putting negative reviews on the device on all of the review boards so it gets some steam. I got mine when they release the phone and until now it has no solution. Really ridiculous....

Guys I suggest each one of us go to these site and post a negative review just to make noise. We all deserve better for our money and time.

141 of 855 (9,945 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 26, 2014 8:59:31 AM
(0)
Mentor

So.. this is an AT&T issue..   does anyone know if it is a Tmobil problem as well?   anyone have a T-Mobil sim card they can put into a (reset) AT&T Note 3 ???

I NEED the GPS to work...     if this is an AT&T issue,  can I take my $800 phone toT-Mobil, and by pass this problem?

Danny

142 of 855 (9,878 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 26, 2014 1:11:10 PM
(0)
Tutor

Problem here too. I clicked the I have the problem too button in first post and PM'd the support person who posted in here.

I just bought my Note 3 on Friday and problems crept up yesterday while driving. Now it also happens when using Endomondo to track my walking/running. Endomondo worked just fine on Friday afternoon.

I don't want to root as I don't want to void my warranty (I've rooted phones before, so I'm not a stranger to doing it; just don't want to void my warranty on such an expensive phone).

I love the Note 3 other than this GPS issue, but I have to have a solidly working GPS. It's now a race to see if they can fix the issue before my 14 day return period is up. Might just be switching to a different phone even though I really don't want to.

143 of 855 (9,810 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 26, 2014 3:08:35 PM
(0)
Explorer
I am just coming back to add that this is not just a GPS issue with this phone. And my phone can be plugged in the entire time or unplugged the entire time; I still have the issue. The compass often gives the wrong direction. The wifi always gives off a warning that the signal is unstable regardless of the network. Fortunately you can turn off auto switching. In general this phone just has issues locating signals. Fortunately, my calls don't drop. The only reason I didn't call AT&T re this issue is because I don't want to start all over again from scratch and I don't want a refurbished unit! It's sad because this is as close as I've seen to a phone that meets all my needs. Laptop no more.

144 of 855 (9,779 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 26, 2014 3:40:05 PM
(0)
Explorer
I have the white Samsung Note 3. I have had the issue in multiple instances driving 175 miles south to Americus, GA, to Georgia Southwestern University, and 200 miles west to Augusta, GA, Paine College. I have missed exits or turns as a result. I have the issue close to home as well.
Phone charging status is irrelevant to my phone. My compass is off as well. A 180 degree turn on the phone registers as 150 degrees instead. Sometimes its unable to locate N,S, E,W for more than a few minutes after a reboot and Google Sky only works the first time I run it after a "Clear Data" in App Mgr.

145 of 855 (9,770 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 26, 2014 4:21:14 PM
(0)
Explorer
It will also lose signal when I'm not moving anywhere for a few minutes.

146 of 855 (9,756 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 26, 2014 8:20:46 PM
(0)
Tutor
In driving from Austin to Houston I lost signal a dozen times. But only two times during the country part of the drive, most drops were in the cities. Reset of GPS using pulldown tray worked, except maps crashed after one of the drops. Got two notes running, both have same problem but not at same times.

147 of 855 (9,709 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 26, 2014 8:28:04 PM
(0)
Scholar
25.5 hour mark since I installed all my apps and started fully using the phone, minus the SIM card (tethering for data). And the gps still works...

I'm going to let this run another 24hrs, with no sim card just to make 100% sure. Too bad I don't have a t-mobile SIM card I could use. I winner how much their pay as you go costs...

148 of 855 (9,703 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 27, 2014 1:10:30 AM
(0)
Mentor

@james27007 It's a P.I.T.A. what you're doing man, way to take one for the team. I'd say stay on no SIM with all your apps loaded for 48 hours just to make sure. In one of the threads over at XDA, one person mentioned that AT&T swapped out his SIM and that seemed to have solved the problem for him, seems highly unlikely that we'd all have a faulty SIM but I'm putting it out there. But from your experiment it's pointing more and more to having something to do with the SIM or mobile data. I still think it's done sort of sync the phone does, just don't know what. Some sync that happens over mobile data but not WiFi.

The one thing that is abundantly clear from your experiment is that we can lay to rest the question of hardware or software. It was already clear from in the information we had before, but there were still people who was convinced it was hardware, this should lay all doubts to rest. 

149 of 855 (9,600 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 27, 2014 4:25:14 AM
(0)
Scholar
@goldendrag0n thank you. I'm just glad I have my old Galaxy S2 as a backup :smileyhappy:

About 3 hours till the 36hr mark and GPS is still working perfectly. I haven't be able to test the 4G to LTE switch yet since I don't have my sim card in, but this unit did have the plug/unplug issue, so I've been using that.

I'm still going to wait the full 48 before I put the sim card in. However, I'm convinced after all this that it has to do with the A-GPS data. A little research found that the phone can only download the A-GPS data when on a cell signal, not wifi, which explains why I have not had the issue yet. Also when the Captivate had all those GPS issues, one thing that helped a lot was using the files from the Vibrant and changing where the A-GPS data was downloaded from. I think we have the same issue here where it is a combination of bad A-GPS data corrupting bad system files. The fact that replacing those 6 GPS files fixes the issue 100% (verified on XDA), backs up my theory. Superbfox verified this when they replaced the GPS files and the issue went away WITHOUT having to do a factory reset. Just dropped in the new files and all went well :smileyhappy:

Seems like a simple fix that would take AT&T no time to package and send out!

150 of 855 (9,584 Views)