Posted Nov 18, 2013
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 GPS Issue

Anyone else having issues with their Note 3 GPS? I'm having an issue were every time I plug or unplug the charger from my phone the GPS drops out. I have to then toggle the GPS on/off in my quick settings to get it working again while navigating. It also seems to drop the signal when I get an incoming phone call while using the navigation app. I have confirmed this same behavior on 2 other friends Note 3's. I'm hoping this is just a software issue that will be fixed in a future os update.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
3-27-2014 8:38:41 AM
(0)
Community Manager

Hello, everyone!

Customers who have an AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 3 began to receive the latest version of Android 4.4 KitKat today.

For more information, please click on the link below.

Android 4.4 KitKat

-Mariana

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
854 replies
(121) Me too
(121) Me too
Replies
(854)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 17, 2014
(0)
Tutor

Yea I just went to the beach the other day, and my gps was dropping all over the place. .

something I did notice however, is that it dropped the most if I left waze idol for another app.

Re: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 GPS Issue

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 17, 2014
(0)
Scholar

I contact AT&T by chat at least once a week, if not twice. So I'm doing more than my part. Is everyone doing theirs??

I encourage everyone to at least have a chat with someone at Samsung and/or AT&T. Calling is better. We are all busy but you could do it while your doing dishes for 5 minutes...

You could also demand a service credit for the massive inconvienence (!!!). I can say I have been successful in doing so.

The more people that create noise, the more pressure they have to fix it.

Or at least give us some piece of information aside from "We know". (Not one of us are asked to beta test any fix, although all of us can reproduce this problem easily and consistently ....)

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 18, 2014
(0)
Mentor

I'm giving AT&T until the release of the S5 or say May time frame before I go into the store and demand a replacement.

Used my Note 3 today while on travels and this whole dropping of Sat signal when a text comes in or a tower changes to LTE/4G, etc. is complete Bull.....t 

I'm not going to sit around and let them take advantage of me knowingly and put me through this while paying them money.    I want a phone that works and if it's not the Note 3 so be it, I'll pick another phone, or cancel my contract no questions asked and I will go to Verizon.  I'm half tempted to do that anyway.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 18, 2014
(0)
Mentor
Put the phone in Airplane mode, turn on GPS and Bluetooth (if you stream through your car) and run a navigation app that has maps preloaded. It will work 100% so long as the Cell portion of the phone is OFF. That's about all that works.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 18, 2014
(0)
Scholar

Hello EVERYONE,

Please tell me the "fastest" possible way you were able to exhibit the Note 3 GPS problem on a freshly factory-reset Note 3. Please also mention how many times you have replaced the phone.

This info will help us all. Thank you in advance!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 18, 2014
(0)
Mentor

After getting no help or traction from AT&T customer service, I've filed an FTC complaint and reported AT&T for fraud.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 19, 2014
(0)
Mentor

Smartfast wrote:

Hello EVERYONE,

Please tell me the "fastest" possible way you were able to exhibit the Note 3 GPS problem on a freshly factory-reset Note 3. Please also mention how many times you have replaced the phone.

This info will help us all. Thank you in advance!

The easiest way to really show impact is:

• Navigate via google and then make/take a phone call.  The GPS will drop within seconds.  
  • Have someone send you 1-2 text messages while you're navigating, it will drop you. 
  • Some will say simply plug your phone in to charge while navigating.  I suppose that works, but I always plug mine in to charge when in the car and I tend to do so before I roll out.   
  • Lastly, use navigation while crossing to/from and area of LTE/4G coverage.  For me typically as I roll east or west out of my city I will lose LTE coverage.  Bam!  GPS will drop.

I found the last one is the biggest PIA as I travel to new cities often and have no idea when I change towers/coverage areas and in the midst of navigating it will drop on me.  I most recently was in Hawaii on the island of Kauai and it dropped nearly every 2 minutes, I'd restart the GPS, bam it would drop again.  There it wasn't even changing back and forth as I didn't have much if any LTE coverage it was all 4G.  I can only assume it was due to the mountains and elevation changes I was seeing that caused towers to jump and the GPS to drop.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 19, 2014
(0)
Mentor
Great little find for comparing coverage areas.

http://opensignal.com/

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 19, 2014
(0)
Mentor

Looks like this issues is getting more coverage by tech blogs. Way to go! It has been over a month since AT&T said that a fix would be coming out "soon".

Still testing and still having problems.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 19, 2014
(0)
Voyager

I compained for the first time via onlne chat yesterday. I was actually (disappointingly) unware fo this issue prior to upgrading to the Note 3 over a month ago. I don;t use GPS vry often, but it's madenning how a corporation could simply drago out a process and ignore it's customers. Not only that, but continue to sell a product it knows is faulty.

Despite my frustration with the situation I was told I could warrranty exchange my phone for either the saem or different model. I was also credited %50 of my data plan for the two months.

It's not a fix to the issue, and there are bigger fish to fry but if you make a big enough stink I'm sure you'll feel somewhat content with the their attemp from the customer service side of things.

The fact that the Android update is still on hold makes me wonder when if ever it will be fixed.

Has anyone looked into being able to drop a contract with ATT over this?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 19, 2014
(0)
Scholar

Funny anecdotal evidence...  Every once in a blue moon, I will have an error free ride on my bike.  yesterday was one of these rides,  35 miles in fact, without error over the same route that might typically get many errors.  This is pretty much a fluke for me.  The only thing I can correlate over the last 2 or 3 times in the last month or so that I went without errors is that the temperature was rather warm on all occasions...  >65° or so.....  Go figure... Whats even stranger is that I didnt stary having these issues until last fall, having ridden error free, all last summer with a Note 1, then started having these issues on the Note 1 then Note 3 after I upgraded.  My insticnts tell me I'm clutching at straws but perhaps it's a wear GPS receiver which is more easily tripped up by either cold weather or satelite angle during fall/winter...  

Just thinking "out loud"...  I even admit it's a bit of a stretch...  LOL..  But if it holds water, this means things should start getting better for a while!!  lol

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 19, 2014
(0)
Teacher

So it looks like ATT is to blame for the OS not being updated.  Per Samsungs website we are all running on 4.4  take a look at this link to the note 3 and look at the specs.

http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones/SM-N900AZKEATT

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 19, 2014
(0)
Scholar

tnerb123 wrote:

So it looks like ATT is to blame for the OS not being updated.  Per Samsungs website we are all running on 4.4  take a look at this link to the note 3 and look at the specs.

http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones/SM-N900AZKEATT

I posted that about a week ago (to here and elsewhere), and the community confirmed to me it's been that way for quite some time. We do know AT&T is the one responsible for and delaying a fix

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 19, 2014
(0)
Teacher

I personally believe that the developers or programmers at AT&T have come up with several beta releases of the the kitkat update for the Note 3 but upon testing they are finding out that it's not fixing the GPS problem.  This is more than likley why the update hasn't and may not be sent out for this phone.  I have several friends and family members who write code for CISCO and the like and have advised that more than likely they are finding that they have a much bigger problem on there hands then just a simple update.  The update for kitkat for the Note 3 is typically about 400 to 430 mbs.  I would presume that if and when they ever release an update for this phone the file will be much bigger only becuase of the massive change in the code that needed to corrected for this paticular phone on the AT&T network.  This is not a Samsung problem AT&T tampered with or manipulated the files on the phone once they recieved the phones

The scary thing is that they have screwed up the phone so bad that when you plug it in you loose GPS reception.  No other carrier has tampered with the phone like this...hence thats why they are recieving there updates and we are not.  I don't know how much knowledge my friends who actually write code and do programing really know about this but a couple of them have played around with development of the android code which is basically glorified linux script and they say that the Note 3 on ATT has a much bigger problem to the point that it may be now a hardware issue that will be the fix.  I wouldn't hold my breath for AT&T to do a mass recall of there flagship phone.

Now its even gotten worse because AT&T are continuing to sell the phone to unsuspecting customers knowing that the GPS is flawed due to there own manipulation of the files on the phone.  The ethical thing to do would be to admit the issue pubilically and pull the phone off the shelf and stop selling it until its fixed.   But this is 2014 and business ethics ara a thing of the pass...the almighty dollar is the bottom line and with T-Mobile expanding and basically buying AT&T's customers im sure they are starting to feel the heat and maybe actually starting to question there future in the phone biz once again...remember the whole cingular ATT mess?... uh...yeah.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 19, 2014
(0)
Mentor
Once again lost gps signal while driving on freeway at the busiest hours in houston. Att taking way too long. Gonna file a complaint to FCC

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 19, 2014
(0)
Tutor

I called technical support this morning. The "tech" seemed completely unaware that the note3 has gps issues. He searched his computer, then put me on hold before telling me Samsung has to issue a fix. According to him, AT&T has nothing to do with the software on the phone. I am pretty sure he really believed [what] he was feeding me, or he was an excellent actor. I've been a loyal customer for 15+ years. I bought myself and my wife the Notes in February on the next program, so I'm paying almost $900 over 20 months for both. No one mentioned any defects with the phones, even though they knew at that point. I'm not a lawyer, but that seems fraudulent. I'm pretty disgusted at this point.

[word filter avoidance]

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 19, 2014
(0)
Teacher

Well the person you talked to on the phone is considered there first line of defense when they start getting calls about a major known issue with there flagship phone.  The fact that you bought the phone in February and it is a well known fact that they phone has had this issued since day one back in November but yet they still sold you the phone amounts to deceptive busisness practices at the least.  There is no use in calling AT&T as your going to get a scripted response from a rep who has been trained to deflect the issue back to Samsung.  If this was a Samsung issue..why aren't the other customers from other carriers complaining? Not to mention the others have rolled out there Kit Kat updates and everything is working just fine.  This is proof positve that this is NOT a Samsung issue.  Not sure why AT&T would not catch that before training there reps to respond with that answer.  That response is more like an insult to the intellegence of there customers.  But on the other hand most of there customers won't even use the GPS anyway or notice that its broken...or more than likely they will just brush it off as a glitch in the phone and buy a garmin or just not use the GPS feature.

At the end of the day...AT&T is aware of the issue and are more than likely hoping we will just go away as many of there customers may very well do that....T-Mobile is looking more and more tempting with every dropped GPS signal.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 19, 2014
(0)
Tutor
I tried to get out of contract (got my Note 3 soon after rollout) and was told by customer service that I could not get out of contract. I am glad we are getting more media coverage.

Has anyone else been able to get out of contract or offered anything else besides an old fashion No?

Two months of data half off? I haven't asked for anything from AT&T except for them to put forth an effort to fix this and maybe be more transparent so we may know where we are at. I've been waiting since January... Noticed it during the holidays but didn't truly realize it until early January.

Remember to sign your pledge and file your FCC claim in order for us to continue to get traction on this.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 19, 2014
(0)
Teacher

Very tired of waiting for the fix. This has problem and plagueing me for almost a year. Started to interact in this forum since January where the problem and the fix was identified by XDA people (yeah not ATT). But up until now there is no solution provided by ATT. 

I finally decided to call ATT and get my device replace to Apple 5s. At least that is reliable. But the tech support told me they are not authorized to do that. First they have to go thru the tiresome process that they have to flush the device test it then if it does not work. The a higher level tech support talks to you about your options to solve it. What dismays me is the person I talke dto has not heard about it, which I honestly doubt it. And what is funny is that they try relate the problem to where I am, or where I leave. I can still remember that the tech support saying that it might be a problem because of the where I live. This is not a good sign since I complain about the GPS and seems like they are trying to say the solution is because of the network coverage. Seems like that is the closest solution to their books.  So sad honestly. But anyways I am waiting a call for the next level tech support today to confirm if the flushing works. ATT did not call back, so much for what they promise. This is why I cannot  rely on their words on fixing this issue.

I also filed an FCC complaint to my dismay. I complained about the service as well as for selling us a defective device and at the same time washing their hands about their fault.

Some guy from ATT Social Care that is monitoring this thread tried to give me options on replacing the device. I told them the closes device on price and reliability that I would accept is a iphone 5s. He replied they have to confirm that with upper management. And after that I never got back a reply it is almost 3 weeks and is really ridiculous customer support.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 19, 2014
(0)
Mentor
I've been loyal customer with att for over 3 years and never had this problem until I got note 3. Just filed a complaint to FCC and included the link for this forum incase they want to check out it affecting most note 3 users

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 20, 2014
(0)
Mentor

tomgutz wrote:But the tech support told me they are not authorized to do that. First they have to go thru the tiresome process that they have to flush the device test it then if it does not work.
The a higher level tech support talks to you about your options to solve it. What dismays me is the person I talke dto has not heard about it, which I honestly doubt it. And what is funny is that they try relate the problem to where I am, or where I leave. I can still remember that the tech support saying that it might be a problem because of the where I live.
This is not a good sign since I complain about the GPS and seems like they are trying to say the solution is because of the network coverage.
Seems like that is the closest solution to their books.  So sad honestly. But anyways I am waiting a call for the next level tech support today to confirm if the flushing works. ATT did not call back, so much for what they promise. This is why I cannot  rely on their words on fixing this issue.

^^ in 2014 the above is unacceptable.   There's no need to begin on page 1 of the troubleshooting guide when so many have already proven the problem is real.    It's quite simple to show it's related to AT&T towers and signal.  Just turn off the phone portion of the device and the GPS works flawlessly.   I've traveled all this week in and out of poor reception areas, 4g, LTE, etc. and if the phone is off, it works.

The coworker I was with has a Verizon Note 3 and side by side his works fine when traversing signal / tower areas on Verizon.  Mine would not.

I don't have time to waste.  AT&T can eat the return of my phone that was sold with knowlege of it being broken.  (Think GM and the ignition switches), only in their case people died.  Either way, guilty.  Eat my phone, give me a different one of my choosing (I'll pay the difference or accept the refund) and move on.   If they do not have a phone I want, then in my case, I didn't have to renew a contract, cancel what is in place and allow me to move on to another carrier.  Forcing me to stay is going to be more costly in many ways.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 20, 2014
(0)
Teacher

All these delays with fixes and be on time with customers needs are fruits of outsourcing American jobs to remote countries. :smileymad:

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 20, 2014
(0)
Scholar

Get a load of this crap:

Thank you for your patience! Your AT&T Representative will be with you shortly.

Welcome! You are now chatting with 'Frank ***'

Frank ***: Hi I’ll be glad to help you today with your gps Justin.

justin: k

Frank ***: What does the signal icon indicate on the device?

justin: right now since im sitting in a room nothing

justin: but on my vacation to disney i used it for or tried to use it for directions and it would lose signal every 2 mins

justin: or so

justin: we tried my wifes phone and it did the same thing. Thinking it was an app that we had i reset my phone when we got to the hotel eventually and lost everything because i couldnt back it up

justin: used it to find our way back home and it worked for a few miles and then it would just stop and we got lost.

Frank ***: Thank you for those details. My apologies for that Justin. That would be why you lost the signal if you have no signal now. Turn wifi off, Wifi can make the gps lose signal like that. Then turn the phone off and back on to get the signal back please.

justin: again, if i step outside it will connect

justin: but when you start to move it will lose signal

Frank ***: Lets test it out with Wifi off. Once you turn the phone back on, leave wifi off and test the gps pleased Justin.

justin: yep says connected

Frank ***: Ok good, set it to walking mode and stat moving.

Frank ***: Be sure to leave wifi off

justin: yep drops signal

Frank ***: Thank you

Frank ***: What gps app are you using?

justin: google maps

Frank ***: Thank you.

Frank ***: Remove the app then go back and reinstall it.

justin: lol

justin: it comes preinstalled

Frank ***: You can still uninstall it.

justin: nope

justin: cant

justin: ...

Frank ***: What options do you see?

justin: uninstall updates

justin: force stop

justin: clear cash

justin: allready did all that on our trip

justin: nothing worked

Frank ***: Ok good, lets clear the cashe then force it to stop please.

justin: lol

justin: justin: allready did all that on our trip justin: nothing worked

justin: I did some searching looks like its a major issue with just the att version of the phone

justin: http://forums.att.com/t5/Android-Discussion-and-Support/Samsung-Galaxy-Note-3-GPS-Issue/td-p/3824953

justin: http://motoringcrunch.com/news/att-samsung-galaxy-note-3-is-in-a-heap-of-trouble/10010181/

justin: http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/03/03/multiple-users-reporting-att-galaxy-note-3-gps-issues-kitkat...

justin: also

justin: http://www.gottabemobile.com/2014/03/17/samsung-galaxy-note-3-problem-frustrates/

Frank ***: Thank you for trying. I was hoping that would resolve this Justin. Thank you for those forums as well. With that information what I can do now is file a technical case to get the area reviewed for you. Once the technicians review this case I am sure you will start to notice a difference.  

justin: ok

Frank ***: Let me get that started.  Please stay online for your case ID or i can just text it to the phone if you do not have time to wait.

[Edited for privacy.]

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 20, 2014
(0)
Scholar
I tweeted attcustomercare every other day .This morning I got the same response they are working with sansung for the fix and release it soon .

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 20, 2014
(0)
Scholar

I was pretty much told they didnt even know about the issue.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 20, 2014
(0)
Mentor
At this point , we should ask AT&T customercare what their definition of "Soon" is. Do they think Christmas is coming soon?

Dear AT&T - Why are you still selling the Note 3 without informing your customers that there is a GPS problem with the phone? Do you feel this is an acceptable business practice and do you plan on continuing it?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 20, 2014
(0)
Teacher

We should apply "soon" to our billing statements. Due to soon.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 20, 2014
(0)
Scholar

I have devised a test to prove without a shadow of a doubt that any Note3 has the GPS problem, or not. Unfortunately it does involve 20 minutes of driving with GPS being logged. However, it proves the problem EVERY SINGLE TIME!!! 

Download the free app called My Tracks (by Google, Inc).  Get in your car, turn on your GPS and click the record button to start recording your GPS track. Note the odometer reading on your car.

Next go run errands / drive around for 20 minutes or more. When you're done, return to My Tracks, hit Stop, and save it. Now click the STATS tab. Compare the distance you drove with your car's odometer. Look at the Chart (speed/elevation vs time). Check out your track on the map. Does any of this seem acceptable to you???

Let me show one of my example tests:

Work-issued Verizon Galaxy S4 (android 4.3) vs AT&T Note 3 Refurb (android 4.3, Just sent to me by AT&T to replace my own Note 3 due to the GPS problem)

This is the result of a run from my home to my storage unit and back (4 miles round trip according to my car's odometer). I simply hit the record button on both phones, put the phone in my pocket, went about my business, and when I got home I hit STOP and saved both tracks.

IMG_0622.JPG

On the left is my Verizon s4, with a ton of apps on it.

On the right is the AT&T Note 3 .... refurb just sent to me, with no applications installed aside MyTracks and no other changes aside from updating all the apps in the playstore that needed it. (Almost completely still in fresh factory restored/reset mode)

Verizon s4 reports the trip perfectly fine. The note 3 says I went almost half the distance. It says my "moving time" was 5m 40s on the Note 3! Clearly that is false, I was in my car driving for at least 20 minutes round trip.

Looking at the chart you can see what was going on... (Blue graph is speed) the Note3 thought I was not moving at some points ..................... huh??

IMG_0621.JPG

again, Verizon s4 on the left -- AT&T Note 3 on the right

It is also  CLEARLY evident when I look at the "Map" of this trip. On the Note 3, it is basically a dashed line! At some points it went 3 minutes without a signal at all.

The Verizon S4 shows my line as completely solid .. even while I was inside the metal building that is my storage unit, which doesnt allow me to get cell coverage, let alone GPS.

So what the heck AT&T?

I complained on twitter about this, and AT&T had the nerve to give me Samsung's phone number. The only way I can get help from samsung is to send them my phone (and be without my phone in the interim). 

I am tempted to downgrade back to my Note 2 and do that .... just to prove this is AT&T's issue. It's not Samsung... But I have had a bad experience when sending a phone into Samsung .. and I am not too keen on running that risk again while holding the $550 purchase price of this phone over my head......

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 20, 2014
(0)
Mentor
Great job troubleshooting for us. I believe you have proven definitively that there is a problem and that it is an AT&T's issue. Thanks for doing this for us.

The pace of people signing the petition at the change website has really picked up. If you know an email address that you think it should go to within AT&T, please PM it to me. Every time someone signs the petition, it will send that email address a message. Wonder if we could set it up to send out a twitter message as well. Hmmmm....

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 20, 2014
(0)
Scholar
The note 2 was the best Samsung device I ever owned . Not only gps but it had better battery life for me also . It was on AT& T .