Posted Nov 18, 2013
8:12:20 PM
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 GPS Issue

Anyone else having issues with their Note 3 GPS? I'm having an issue were every time I plug or unplug the charger from my phone the GPS drops out. I have to then toggle the GPS on/off in my quick settings to get it working again while navigating. It also seems to drop the signal when I get an incoming phone call while using the navigation app. I have confirmed this same behavior on 2 other friends Note 3's. I'm hoping this is just a software issue that will be fixed in a future os update.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
Mar 27, 2014 8:38:41 AM
(0)
Community Manager

Hello, everyone!

Customers who have an AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 3 began to receive the latest version of Android 4.4 KitKat today.

For more information, please click on the link below.

Android 4.4 KitKat

-Mariana

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
854 replies
(121) Me too
(121) Me too
Replies
(854)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 27, 2014 8:33:30 AM
(0)
Mentor

I have used the GPS once since the update and it worked better. It lost contact for 60 seconds and re connected. Plugging and unplugging while running did not seem to faze it but that was a sometimes problem with me before (it seems we have variations of a theme with our phones.) 

I will recommend Samsung support and, when I had it, I loved the HTC support. The Samsung techs seem knowledgeable and and practical. 

Re: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 GPS Issue

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 27, 2014 8:34:40 AM
(0)
Mentor

BTW: Thank you ATT&T for bumping my status to Teacher. I really feel fufilled as a person. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 27, 2014 8:39:53 AM
(0)
Mentor
So far 3+ months for a fix does not strike me as excessive. with thousands of phones out there they cannot be sending out the fix of the week to see if "this time' it really really fixes the phone.

My friend that I convninced to switch from an iphone to the Note 3 said he always keeps a dedicated GPS in the car because he does not find any phone to be worth his total trust. I would say that if having a GPS were mission critical to me neither would I use the bag of tricks that is the modern smartphone as my sole or primary GPS unit. So says me.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 27, 2014 8:42:17 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by raiu on Feb 27, 2014 at 8:44:58 AM

My review was not approved either. There was no foul language or anything derogatory towards att just the truth about the gps not working i did add good at getting you lost as a pro though

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 27, 2014 8:44:15 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by BaeckerX1 on Feb 27, 2014 at 8:47:49 AM

I used to have a Garmin but got tired of paying $50 every year for map updates when I could use Google Maps for free. In addition the POI (gas stations, restaurants, etc.) information of Google gets updated far more frequently and is always more accurate than something like a Garmin . Not to mention it's tied into web search so I can easily see reviews, more information, street view, traffic, etc. Standalone GPS still makes sense in the backcountry, but not so much in the auto anymore.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 27, 2014 10:04:46 AM
(0)
Scholar

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 27, 2014 10:41:17 AM
(0)
Tutor

Incidently, I had a Galaxy S4 right before switching to the Note 3 and I had the exact same issue on the S4 with GPS. Might be good to join efforts, as there are a lot more S4 users out there than Note 3. Wonder if there is a similar thread for them.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 27, 2014 11:35:10 AM
(0)
Scholar

My original Galaxy Note was great all last riding season until an update in late summer or early fall when these errors started happening to it as well.  I always thought it was the App that I use,  "Mapmyride" and I've been back & forth with them with no success.  I then upgraded to the Note 3 and the problem never went away.  I then discovered that the same issues happen in other cycling GPS tracking apps such as Strava.  So Im guessing it's a Samsung vs. AT&T mashup issue and is not purely related to the Note 3.  Whatever it is,  I can show at least 3 months of riding where I had 0 issues then all of a sudden, haywire, on nearly every ride.  I've kinda lost faith in it for a while until I came across this forum and found out it was an AT&T / Phone issue.  I''d really like it to be fixed before Apr 10 when I have the MS150 Grand Fono Charity ride from Houston to Austin.  I'd like to do live tracking via Mapmyride..  

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 27, 2014 11:40:08 AM
(0)
Scholar

Samsung has updated its website to tout that the AT&T Note 3 comes with KitKat !!  LOL

http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones/SM-N900AZWEATT?CID=AFL-hq-mul-0813-11000279

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 27, 2014 11:51:10 AM
(0)
Teacher

Since most of your reviews would not get approved on the review page http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/samsung/galaxy-note-3-classic-white.html#fbid=2vlT5fcFwZj

You might want to support my review by just clicking the helpful button. The idea is that people who sorts the reviews by most helpful review will get my review on top. At least we can get something back in small little ways. Just search for my user name there to find my review.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 27, 2014 12:07:22 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by Ranmaniac on Feb 27, 2014 at 12:08:58 PM

Why do you assume that most of our reviews wouldnt get approved?   To what advantage is it for me and the proper operation of my phone to support your review since the problem has already been acknowleged and fix announced?  Lastly,  what good is it to "get something back in small little ways"? 

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 27, 2014 12:19:19 PM
(0)
Teacher

@Ranmaniac I think if you read what people are saying or feeling. You would probably answer your own questions.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 27, 2014 12:29:27 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by BaeckerX1 on Feb 27, 2014 at 12:31:42 PM

I'd encourage you guys to file the FCC complaint like I did. Nothing might come of it, but at least I feel like I did something.  It's so frustrating to have an otherwise phenomenal phone marred by such a terrible issue. I love this phone otherwise, but this makes me want a new phone on another carrier. Carrying and charging 2 devices is not an option for me.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 27, 2014 12:45:30 PM
(0)
Mentor

rkinwa - Let's just keep getting the word out to people that there are ways to contact AT&T or get their attention. I hope enough of us are actually willing to speak up, sign or figure out a way to get more information from AT&T.

Finding out so many other people are having this problem is both disheartening and encouraging. Maybe something can finally be done about this.

Thanks for all the troubleshooting guys.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 27, 2014 1:04:24 PM
(0)
Scholar
I spoke to customer service about the "GPS issue." Today I was told there is no record of an issue in their records. Yesterday I was told that they get many calls about it, it is a known issue and being addressed. AT&T does not want any accountability of this and it is so annoying to deal with them. Wish they would read their own forum.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 27, 2014 1:07:31 PM
(0)
Scholar

@tomgutz - Most of what people are saying is purely based on frustration from not having the service that they expect.  The frustration is warranted but the irrational threats and false claims are not.  The process of hardware and/or software QA is far from a perfected science and even the best of testing departments can never get it right, 100% of the time because they can rarely envision enough real world scenarios to impliment proper testing.  This is further complicated by production deadlines etc..  Rinse and repeat for every company, every product.  Once a product is released, that team moves on to the next project and when problems arise wuth the released project, a sustaining team is usually handed teh task which already has 88387341657531297 on their plate.  When the issue at hand finally gets fixed, it must be tested and tested again, of which new tests have to be devised because the old tests didnt catch this problem to begin with..  When it's all said & done, it has to be reviewed and signed off by no less than 8983327856 people to try to ensure that a quality product gets released and this doesnt happen all over again.  So it's easy to see why a fix to an issue such as this may not be immediately forthcoming.  It must be done right, it must be scrutinized thouroughly and then it gets sent to overburdened servers that must be regulated to maintain respectable bandwidths.  

It takes armies of very intelegent people to make these magic devices happen.  It's not some corporate bunch of greedy thugs choosing money over your well-being.  I think they deserve a little more respect than is often shown them in these forums.  

This problem has been acknowledged and a fix has been announced.  It will be along shortly.  

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 27, 2014 2:44:52 PM
(0)
Mentor
I paid a premium for this phone. It better work 100%.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 27, 2014 2:46:59 PM
(0)
Mentor
Takes an army to replace 6 files huh? LOL

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 27, 2014 2:53:35 PM
(0)
Mentor

Ranmaniac - While you are spot on describing the lengthy process and red tape it takes to "fix" things, the time it took to acknowledge the problem has a bit lengthy. We've been waiting on a fix for over 3 months now. "Shortly" has been a long time coming.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 27, 2014 3:02:48 PM
(0)
Teacher

@Ranmaniac , I agree what you stated. That is the normal cycle. I guess it would just help for the ATT side to tell us exactly whats happening not a general they are "working on it". I believe its also instinct that when people do not hear anything then it is most likely pushed aside. And for it to be back on track people usually do their part to make noise, etc so that people takes notice of it and add more man power to solve the problem. 

At the end of the day everybody wants one thing for this problem to go away and as soon as possible. People who already rooted their phone and applied the changes got this solved I believe. So I think the frustration comes from knowing this. And another thing is if you read my review I am basically warning people and not ranting about it. Since I dont want people to undergo the same problem we are dealing. Simple as that.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 27, 2014 3:37:16 PM
(0)
Mentor

@ sonicthoughts    Hey,  don;t get mad at the poor guy (or gal) in customer service....   It is not thier fault!

The last time I talked to them,  I kept trying to get the guy to LOOK at the forum,  and he finaly admitted something,...    Ready for this??

"The Costomer Service Departments computers are  BLOCKED from being able to see the AT&T Forums or website."

... because.. you  know...  why would the customer service department need to know what the customers are saying or talking about.   thats just silly talk.....

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 27, 2014 3:46:41 PM
(0)
Mentor

@ Ranmaniac     Um..  I have two issues with what you just wrote..    and one kudos....

First the Kudos...  You are correct, and LOT of people put a lot of time and energy into makign this "magic" work...    I don;t think I have seen ANYONE on this thread say anything diragotory abut them.

Issue 1)  I thik many/most of us are EXTRA frustrated, becasue the ORIGINAL samsung GPS drives WORK! ..  until AT&T updates them to thier own....     This is why a "facotry reset" will "fix" the problem for 12 to 48 hours....

Issue 2)    Your comment "The process of hardware and/or software QA is far from a perfected science and even the best of testing departments can never get it right, 100% of the time because they can rarely envision enough real world scenarios to impliment proper testing. "

Um....  The GPS gets disconnected when you MAKE or RECIEVE a phone call.. on your phone....   Um..  kind of a "predictable"  thing to use your ...phone..   for....

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 27, 2014 6:48:18 PM
(0)
Scholar
^^^ I agree with all this. I do vent on here alot and is exactly from frustration .Customers that spends hundreds of dollars on a phone that is supposed to work properly will be upset if the product has a major flaws .Im I dont think its wrong to vent on forums as long as your language appropriate . What makes me upset that its only the AT& T variant thats not working .I tested Verizon's and T-mobile (have 2 friends that have em) and the GPS works great on both. I can overlook minor flaws (most phones have em) but not a major one with broken GPS. Weather apps,social apps, navigation apps, many other apps and operations that smartphone needs to work properly use the GPS .

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 27, 2014 9:02:14 PM
(0)
Teacher

I recently bought the note 3 and never used the gps until recently.  I had also just bought a new car, and when I was having gps issues, thought it was something wrong with the car (interference).  I'm visiting a new town and am having unacceptable issues with the gps that are confirmed by this thread.  

Using waze, Google maps, etc my gps constantly drops.  I have resorted to holding the unit in my hand and turning off and on the gps to retain navigation.  It was even more frustrating that my wife, sitting right next to me, was able to waze/Google map flawlessly on her iphone 5.  We have switched to her tiny screen to be able to safely navigate by gps.  

I just did the latest software update, Tried factory reset, Uninstall ed and reinstalled all navigation apps.  I completely ran out of ideas.  If it weren't for this thread, I would have gone crazy thinking it was just me and not the phone.  I hope whatever the hardware/software issue is gets resolved quickly. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 27, 2014 11:11:00 PM
(0)
Scholar
^^^^ And does your wife poke fun at your phone and say something like this "You had to get that phone didn't you? !" OR..."if it was such cool phone it could at least tell you where your going ! " OR...and this is a good one my woman says if we're going somewhere " Lemme make sure I put the address IN MY IPHONE 5 so we don't get lost again! " Last but not least ......"So what was it about Apple you were saying? !" : | SMDH.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 28, 2014 5:22:49 AM
(0)
Mentor

Are there other places on the web that people are troubleshooting this?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 28, 2014 6:01:32 AM
(0)
Scholar

ibDanny - Everything seems easily predictable in hindsight but if you draw up a matrix of functionality of these phones, the combinations of various multitasking are approaching endless.  If the guy.gal devising the tests didnt have the foresight to think up enough common scenarios to warrant release, then a ball got dropped but the # of scenarios is vast.  One cant be expected to catch them all.  

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 28, 2014 6:08:13 AM
(0)
Scholar

Sadly enough I'm married to AT&T...  I need a GSM phone for periodic trips to Europe (That counts out Verizon & Sprint), a phone that typically works in rural areas, that counts out T-Mobile in this region, so all I can do is wait or root..  So if this KitKat update doesnt work, I suppose I will be taking the root plunge...

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 28, 2014 6:33:26 AM
(0)
Mentor
The test scenarios are vast but it didn't take QA testers or test enginers to discover the GPS issue. Unless a few users on this thread are in those professions. I'm with you with AT&T marriage deal. We're getting a big discount going through my wife's company. But now that she accepted a better job offer from a different company, i'm thinking of switching to Verizon after being with AT&T for a very long time. It's not just about the GPS problem either. But this GPS issue is killing me because I'm always on the road and need a reliable navigation. I just started using my old Galaxy S4 Active when traveling to a totally unfamiliar area. I thought about rooting my Note 3 but I shouldn't have to do this to a very expensive phone.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 28, 2014 6:39:40 AM
(0)
Mentor
My wife does that to me constantly every time there's a glitch on my android phones. She's an Apple fangirl.