Posted Nov 18, 2013
8:12:20 PM
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 GPS Issue

Anyone else having issues with their Note 3 GPS? I'm having an issue were every time I plug or unplug the charger from my phone the GPS drops out. I have to then toggle the GPS on/off in my quick settings to get it working again while navigating. It also seems to drop the signal when I get an incoming phone call while using the navigation app. I have confirmed this same behavior on 2 other friends Note 3's. I'm hoping this is just a software issue that will be fixed in a future os update.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
Mar 27, 2014 8:38:41 AM
(0)
Community Manager

Hello, everyone!

Customers who have an AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 3 began to receive the latest version of Android 4.4 KitKat today.

For more information, please click on the link below.

Android 4.4 KitKat

-Mariana

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
854 replies
(121) Me too
(121) Me too
Replies
(854)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 5, 2014 7:04:35 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by ATTDmitriyCM on Feb 6, 2014 at 9:16:17 AM

@ lbDanny

I agree with you, dealing with ATT is not easy, I am sure Verizon is worst.
I switch over from Tmobile, ATT network is so much better, but dealing with a messed up phone crazy bloatware and has an extra tight lock on the bootloader is a bit too much for me.
When my contract is up i am going to get an iPhone (an unopened box) sell it as new and use the iphone money to buy an international unlocked phone or a Nexus phone.
Never again am i going to deal with ATT phone, that is locked down like fortknox.

Re: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 GPS Issue

[ Edited ]
271 of 855 (2,882 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 5, 2014 10:56:30 PM
(0)
Teacher

You guys might want to add on some negative reviews on this. I have added mine. Show some people power. We can do things if we do it all together.

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/samsung/galaxy-note-3-classic-white.html#fbid=dF3Yz-EjiT4

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-Note-Black-AT/product-reviews/B00F2SDM00/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_t...

272 of 855 (2,848 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 5, 2014 11:25:38 PM
(0)
Explorer
Edited by ATTDmitriyCM on Feb 6, 2014 at 9:15:30 AM

Since it's becoming obvious that AT&T doesn't care about some random forum users, time to see how much bad publicity AT&T wants from this.  Along with @tomgutz 's links, how about letting Engadget know about this?  If enough of us complain and provide the link to this thread, then perhaps they'll post something.  Here's the link to submit a story idea: http://www.engadget.com/about/tips/ .  I just sent them some info.

I say we also email our local TV channels as they're always looking for these stories too.  Bad publicity is what it took for Apple to acknowledge their issues with the antenna and then their Maps app.  In both cases news outlets got hold of the story and Apple was forced to take ownership.  We need the same thing to happen here and maybe AT&T will finally take notice.

[ Edited ]
273 of 855 (2,840 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 6, 2014 8:20:48 AM
(0)
Explorer

@dakleenupman  I don't think you are correctly @ mentioning Mariana.  @ATTMarianaCM  We are all waiting for a reply from you on this.  The natives are growing very restless.

274 of 855 (2,788 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 6, 2014 8:24:57 AM
(0)
Scholar
I just placed a review on the site and complained to FCC.

275 of 855 (2,785 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 6, 2014 8:26:01 AM
(0)
Mentor
@ATTMarianaCM did that work? Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Thanks @jsoijw232 for the acknowledgement!

276 of 855 (2,784 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 6, 2014 8:32:38 AM
(0)
Community Manager

Hello, everyone!

We apologize for the delay. Rest assured that as soon as we have an update, we will post it in this thread. In the meantime, we appreciate your patience.

Thank you.

-Mariana

Rethink Possible

For account specific help, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

277 of 855 (2,782 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 6, 2014 8:56:59 AM
(0)
Tutor

@ATTMarianaCM

Mariana,

There is a lot of ranting and raving on this forum, I think AT&T could calm the masses with answers to the questions below.

We know how it works, you were put in charge of monitoring the forums and your reporting to management on this issue has dissappeared through the back channels. You don't get any information regarding the status of the complaint, whether it is being addressed or not. If you could, please take a moment to try and dig up some answers to these questions:

a) has the complaint has been heard in the proper department to address the issue?

b) does AT&T expect to assign any resources to work / investigate the issue in the near future?

Thanks,

Colin

278 of 855 (2,765 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 6, 2014 8:57:45 AM
(0)
Tutor

Hey all you smart people, maybe you can get paid to fix the problems!

http://connect.att.jobs/atlanta/it_engineering_technology/jobid4759193-sr-member-of-technical-staff_...

279 of 855 (2,764 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 6, 2014 9:13:39 AM
(0)
Mentor
BAM! Another post bounced! That makes 3 or 4. This is getting ridiculous. Why am I wasting my time? Oh yeah, because I care. Because I too have this issue. Because it's AT&T and I've defended them for years. Because things like this cause way more damage to reputations than necessary. Because I set high standards in the service I pay for. Because I too am in the retail service business and give service above and beyond what I'm getting in return. I wonder what kind of service you'd expect from the unemployment department.

Thanks for the reply. Not what we wanted to hear considering the legwork has already been done. This is taking way too long. I'll just exchange my device every day until it gets resolved. I know it won't fix it but why not? No one else is doing anything else about it so who's going to care?

280 of 855 (2,758 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 6, 2014 9:15:57 AM
(0)
Tutor

Well by saying as soon as you have an update you'll post it, does that mean that AT&T has acknowledged the problem and is "ACTUALLY" in the process of working on a fix for it?

281 of 855 (2,757 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 6, 2014 9:38:06 AM
(0)
Scholar
My review for note 3 sale page on ATT got rejected lol. Hmmmmm. Lol just got an email.

282 of 855 (2,746 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 6, 2014 10:12:36 AM
(0)
Teacher

@mastaofdacat Probably too much profanity? LoL. Keep it clean and just link it to this posting.

283 of 855 (2,736 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 6, 2014 12:55:48 PM
(0)
Teacher

Can't believe no offical response from ATT yet and 10 pages users posting on here.

I am going to report soon if my GPS is still working, might take the car out today and driving out to NJ this Sat, so should really know by this weekend.

284 of 855 (2,693 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 6, 2014 1:29:08 PM
(0)
Tutor
My review on att page got rejected too

285 of 855 (2,679 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 7, 2014 9:35:56 AM
(0)
Scholar
Lol I kept it clean. Maybe I said Note 3 only sucks on AT&T lol only rocks on other carriers? ?! O well just speaking the truth!

286 of 855 (2,442 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 7, 2014 3:09:42 PM
(0)
Contributor

good luck with them calling you back.  the note 3 just worthless gps period...some phones are just like that. i regret the day i brought mine.  i put it away and am back to using my note 2.  at least the gps is solid.

287 of 855 (2,383 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 7, 2014 5:18:52 PM
(0)
Tutor
To quote the International Business Times:
"The Android 4.4 KitKat update includes such features and improvements as "immersive mode," an updated lock screen design, "always on" hands-free navigation, decreased fragmentation with Project Svelte, an updated dialer and caller ID, text message and Hangouts integration, a complete emoji keyboard, updated NFC powered features, cloud printing and storage, TV and Bluetooth compatibility as well as screen recording."

Notice the part the "always on hands free navigation"? I wonder if KitKat will fix our problem?

Full article: http://www.ibtimes.com/android-44-kitkat-update-galaxy-note-3-rollout-continues-samsung-admits-fault...

288 of 855 (2,360 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 8, 2014 5:41:02 AM
(0)
Tutor
Add me to the list also! I noticed the issue about 3 weeks ago, called ATT they sent me a new phone, I restored all my apps and of course it still drops the GPS on the notification panel at the same time it loses itself on the map or app. So I called them back and they say they have not heard of the issue before and escalated it to Samsung who also says they have not heard of this issue, Samsung said I could "reflash " my phone with updated firmware if I send it in or have a service center that is capable. So I called the nearest Service center, who also never heard of our issue and they said they can reflash my phone, but it's the same firmware that I have in it, not an updated one like Samsung stated.

I use Waze primarily, that seems to drop more often then Trapster or even Maps, so I pull down the switch menu, turn off GPS, turn it back on and it locks on immediately.

I do believe it is an installed app that is creating the issue, I am going to backup my phone again and do a factory restore as mentioned, install just a few core apps and give it a shot...

EVERYONE in here having issues has to contact ATT and/or Samsung to report this problem.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

289 of 855 (2,292 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 8, 2014 7:23:36 AM
(0)
Explorer

I think some on here have already gone through the exercise of installing app by app, and found it didn't help.  But woud love to hear your results as well @cheezomlet  because if it IS an app then there's hope for us all.  Thanks.

290 of 855 (2,277 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 8, 2014 12:54:18 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by Phil-101 on Feb 8, 2014 at 1:46:34 PM

This is a pain in.....I was in Downtown Houston Texas last night looking for an event last night. I had to use maps to get around and of course GPS signal kept *** while driving ! Kept getting lost people honking behind me cuz in between stop lights I had to FREAKIN KEEP TURNING OFF AND TURNING ON TO TRY TO GET MY LOCATION! Also, I almost hit a car that pulled out in front of me and wasn't paying total attention ...why CUZ I *** TRYING TO GET THE GPS TO WORK! This is a company that always sends message "don't drive n text !" Hey how bout fix the GPS to have working so that we can drive safe too. I mean, DONT PEOPLE USE GPS FOR DRIVING DIRECTIONS AND SHOULD THAT BE AN ESSENTIAL FEATURE TO BE WORKING? ? Thank u AT&T , much love ....

[Inappropriate content removed]

[ Edited ]
291 of 855 (2,235 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 8, 2014 7:25:34 PM
(0)
Tutor
Seems the sound on my phone also drops when you plug or unplug the charger

292 of 855 (2,174 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 10, 2014 4:01:36 AM
(0)
Tutor

Please explain this process further.  I enter that on my phone hit dial and get an error

293 of 855 (2,007 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 10, 2014 12:24:52 PM
(0)
Tutor
okay I just called AT&T they read the forum and they realize that there's an issue. Well maybe not AT&T but the tech who I talk to certainly did. They sent me to Samsung for their support just like they did with multiple people on this forum. I'm on hold with them now. I have a brand new note three sitting in a box next to me for my daughter which I probably am going to return and get the note 2 it was much more solid

294 of 855 (1,935 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 10, 2014 12:27:03 PM
(0)
Tutor
technician from AT&T told me we all need to report this to Samsung the more report the more likely we are to get a resolution

295 of 855 (1,934 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 10, 2014 4:08:43 PM
(0)
Contributor

I use gps tracker for my rides.. very disappointed in the gps on the note 3.. hopefully it will be addressed. . It has nothing to do with atat or 4g.. my s4 worked flawlessly

296 of 855 (1,895 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 10, 2014 4:10:11 PM
(0)
Contributor
Why would all the same apps work perfect on s4 and not on note 3?

297 of 855 (1,894 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 10, 2014 7:41:11 PM
(0)
Tutor

I signed up to report having the same issue. I depend on GPS navigation to do my job and this is becoming a big problem.

Clicked the "me too" button to add another one.

Still waiting for a solution that does not include root.

298 of 855 (1,861 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 11, 2014 7:08:37 AM
(0)
Scholar

Whine...  Please fix this

299 of 855 (1,809 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 11, 2014 11:07:46 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by prazvt on Feb 11, 2014 at 11:10:49 AM

Hi All, I've been having GPS signal dropping issues with Galaxy Note 3 as well.  Glad I'm not the only one; at first I thought it was just my Navigon app, but GPS drops out with Google Maps and Sygic Navigation as well.

I've tried using the GPS Satellite utility on GooglePlay to download new GPS data, but no effect.  Otherwise, I have to toggle the GPS on and off radio on and off to get signal back.  Invariably, it'll lose signal again a few minutes later though.  I used to have the same issue with my Galaxy S2, but my Note 2 never had the problem.

[ Edited ]
300 of 855 (1,775 Views)