The Samsung Galaxy S24
Blackjack II's profile

Mentor

• 

58 Messages

Tuesday, November 19th, 2013 4:12 AM

Closed

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 GPS Issue

Anyone else having issues with their Note 3 GPS? I'm having an issue were every time I plug or unplug the charger from my phone the GPS drops out. I have to then toggle the GPS on/off in my quick settings to get it working again while navigating. It also seems to drop the signal when I get an incoming phone call while using the navigation app. I have confirmed this same behavior on 2 other friends Note 3's. I'm hoping this is just a software issue that will be fixed in a future os update.

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

10 years ago

goldendragOn  I dont think you need to keep your wifi off all the time.  I think the problem is when the gps is turning on or off while the wifi is also changing to the cell towers or vise versa.  Or while the gps/wifi is turning on or off while you are plugging/unplugging the phone.  

Im going to try and make sure that the wifi is completely on or off before I turn on/off the gps and be careful when I plug it in 

Mentor

• 

28 Messages

10 years ago

@nicman If that's the case then I haven't ran into it, I've just kept my WiFi on all the time and my GPS is also on all the time.

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

10 years ago

goldendragOn even though the gps in on, I dont think it is actually on until an app requests a location then the gps turns on. I could be wrong put I think that is how it works.

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

10 years ago

UPDATE!!  Bad news, the gps issue is back.  Last night I checked it and the gps issue was not there and this morning it is back.  I did not do anything with the phone.  It just sat on the kitchen table.  When I went to check it, the gps would turn on and search for a satellite and when a lock was established it would then turn off.  I did this several times and then rebooted the phone.  The gps issue was back after that.  (gps turns off when going into airplane mode and plugging in and out.)  The only thing that may have happened is when the gps was turning on it could have switched/dropped cell towers.  I have bad cell phone coverage in and around my house.  

Will try and reset phone again.  Man this sucks!!!  Except for this issue I love the phone.

Scholar

• 

63 Messages

10 years ago

Ok, after the last factory reset, (after the one where I installed Ingress) I had 3 theories. 1. I disabled every app I could (so only the apps that cannot be disabled are active), 2. I did not install any apps, period. 3. I did not use the stock USB 3 cable (just for S&G).

Gps lasted just under 24 hours. If it is a software issue, it's something with the stock firmware. Oh well, my 5th arrived Monday...

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

I too have been having the same GPS issue.  I first noticed it playing Ingress, but as others have stated, I can easily reproduce the problem in any GPS app by unplugging or plugging in the charger or moving in and out of LTE.  

I also tried a factory reset which fixed the issue for about a half a day.  

After reading through all of these posts, I'm wondering if there is an update to a stock app that is being pushed that is causing the issue to surface maybe even the play services framework.  For me this is a relatively recent development on my phone.  I did not start seeing this behaviour until possible this month.  

Has anyone done a factory reset and stopped play store updates from being pushed yet?  Might be worth a shot.

Sloan

Scholar

• 

63 Messages

10 years ago

Here's an odd question, is anyone here not playing Ingress?

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

@james27007 🙂  The more pertinent question is which faction! 

But seriously I've definitely wondered if ingress could be part of the cause.  But over at XDA this is getting discussed as well, and I've seen no mention of the game.

Scholar

• 

63 Messages

10 years ago

@mrklaw lol, Resistance all the way. I agree, doubt out is the cause, but had to ask 🙂

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

@james27007 Excellent.  I can trust you then 🙂  

I'm thinking about trying another factory reset and not letting the phone update over the play store at all to see if that makes a difference.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.