Posted Nov 18, 2013
8:12:20 PM
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 GPS Issue

Anyone else having issues with their Note 3 GPS? I'm having an issue were every time I plug or unplug the charger from my phone the GPS drops out. I have to then toggle the GPS on/off in my quick settings to get it working again while navigating. It also seems to drop the signal when I get an incoming phone call while using the navigation app. I have confirmed this same behavior on 2 other friends Note 3's. I'm hoping this is just a software issue that will be fixed in a future os update.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
Mar 27, 2014 8:38:41 AM
(0)
Community Manager

Hello, everyone!

Customers who have an AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 3 began to receive the latest version of Android 4.4 KitKat today.

For more information, please click on the link below.

Android 4.4 KitKat

-Mariana

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
854 replies
(121) Me too
(121) Me too
Replies
(854)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 17, 2014 2:58:28 AM
(0)
Mentor
UPDATE: I've NEVER turned off power saving on my note 3 as it came enabled by default (and with the insane high specs I've never needed that extra power yet)however last night I was benchmarking the phone so I shut it off...forgot to re enable it this morning and viola no GPS issues what so ever in a 1+ hour commute. Will re test on the commute home later and see if it works twice and wasn't just dumb luck. But I wonder if this applies to anyone else since at least my note 3 came with it enabled by default and i've never seen a reason or need to disable it till recently.

Re: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 GPS Issue

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 17, 2014 2:59:11 AM
(0)
Mentor
P.S this commute also involves SEVERAL switches between 4G and LTE.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 17, 2014 3:00:24 AM
(0)
Mentor
Should also mention no charger was Connected phone was on battery power and has all the most recent updates.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 17, 2014 9:51:22 AM
(0)
Contributor

My GPS issues are the same as some in this thread.  My issue is the issue where it always locks up the app that I am using for navigation at the same places in the town I live in.   Then I lose GPS connection.  I have to close the app and start it back up.  It is still working and still navigating.  I have done the clear/reset of data for the app work well for a few days then GPS issues are back again.  Opening a ticket now...

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 17, 2014 11:53:56 AM
(0)
Mentor
CONFIRMED: Just took the 1+ hour ride home same route that always has issues and left power saving Disabled and GPS was never lost even with constant 4G LTE switching.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 17, 2014 12:59:24 PM
(0)
Teacher

UPDATE!!  After the reset last night the GPS worked.  I kept checking it throughout the night.  I kept plugging/unplugging the charger, cycling airplane mode on and off, and turning the Wifi on and off to get the cell towers to change (Im on the edge of LTE and 4G towers).  While in the middle of turning the wifi off, turning the gps on, and plugging it in the GSP issue came back.  Looking back on when the issue came back the other day, I was plugging it in, turning the GPS on (to start Tomtom), and at the edge of my wifi coverage.

My theory is when the radio is changing, the program that controls it is being corrupted and can only be fixed with a factory reset.  

I did another factory reset (GPS issue resolved) and will try not to plug it in when the wifi/gps in turning on/off or turn the gps on/off while turning the wifi on/off 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 17, 2014 2:35:56 PM
(0)
Mentor

@nicman That sounds plausible, because when it happened last night for me it was after I'd left my house since I've reset it the second time, I had both WiFi and GPS on when I left. I'm low on my data plan now so won't be able to test with a reset and leaving WiFi off altogether, do you have enough left on your data plan to test leaving WiFi off for a few days after a reset?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 17, 2014 2:44:53 PM
(0)
Mentor

@psxsage I highly doubt that's it. I don't know why your phone comes with Power saving mode enabled by default, our brand new phones don't, not out of the box. Out of the box it has a setting enabled within it that will turn itself on at 20% battery regardless if it was enabled before. That setting is set default out of the box but Power saving is never enabled default out of the box. And I even turn off the 20% thing because there isn't an option to change at what % it kicks in, default is 20% and this phone even at 20% will still last quite a while so I find it annoying when it super dims my screen at 20%. Try the plug/unplug test, you don't have to be going anywhere, you can just be sitting at home with Google Maps open or any navigation app that you normally use. And simplest way to test the network switch is to call your phone then hang up after it rings with Google Maps open. Your phone will go from 4G LTE provided you're in LTE coverage area to 4G when your phone rings.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 17, 2014 2:49:20 PM
(0)
Mentor

Not sure in your case (and my phone was new By the way bought it outright) but in my case the power saving on My first (and new replacement) was enabled by default once i shut it my GPS now works flawlessly.  I'm sure it's NOT the case for everyone but in my case it now works without a hitch.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 17, 2014 3:35:32 PM
(0)
Scholar

Same here, power saving was off (but the auto on at 20% was on). I had that off before the last reset, and guess what, GPS issue came back. 5th phone is on it's way. AT&T is willing to give me a different type of phone. Sorry, not good enough becasue there is nothing close to the Note 3. I guess I'll keep replacing it. Plus when the OTA update comes out, I still want to have my Note 3

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 17, 2014 6:46:02 PM
(0)
Teacher

goldendragOn  I dont think you need to keep your wifi off all the time.  I think the problem is when the gps is turning on or off while the wifi is also changing to the cell towers or vise versa.  Or while the gps/wifi is turning on or off while you are plugging/unplugging the phone.  

Im going to try and make sure that the wifi is completely on or off before I turn on/off the gps and be careful when I plug it in 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 18, 2014 12:59:51 AM
(0)
Mentor

@nicman If that's the case then I haven't ran into it, I've just kept my WiFi on all the time and my GPS is also on all the time.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 18, 2014 5:18:01 AM
(0)
Teacher
goldendragOn even though the gps in on, I dont think it is actually on until an app requests a location then the gps turns on. I could be wrong put I think that is how it works.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 18, 2014 6:08:23 AM
(0)
Teacher

UPDATE!!  Bad news, the gps issue is back.  Last night I checked it and the gps issue was not there and this morning it is back.  I did not do anything with the phone.  It just sat on the kitchen table.  When I went to check it, the gps would turn on and search for a satellite and when a lock was established it would then turn off.  I did this several times and then rebooted the phone.  The gps issue was back after that.  (gps turns off when going into airplane mode and plugging in and out.)  The only thing that may have happened is when the gps was turning on it could have switched/dropped cell towers.  I have bad cell phone coverage in and around my house.  

Will try and reset phone again.  Man this sucks!!!  Except for this issue I love the phone.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 18, 2014 1:27:44 PM
(0)
Scholar
Ok, after the last factory reset, (after the one where I installed Ingress) I had 3 theories. 1. I disabled every app I could (so only the apps that cannot be disabled are active), 2. I did not install any apps, period. 3. I did not use the stock USB 3 cable (just for S&G).

Gps lasted just under 24 hours. If it is a software issue, it's something with the stock firmware. Oh well, my 5th arrived Monday...

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 18, 2014 1:49:19 PM
(0)
Teacher

I too have been having the same GPS issue.  I first noticed it playing Ingress, but as others have stated, I can easily reproduce the problem in any GPS app by unplugging or plugging in the charger or moving in and out of LTE.  

I also tried a factory reset which fixed the issue for about a half a day.  

After reading through all of these posts, I'm wondering if there is an update to a stock app that is being pushed that is causing the issue to surface maybe even the play services framework.  For me this is a relatively recent development on my phone.  I did not start seeing this behaviour until possible this month.  

Has anyone done a factory reset and stopped play store updates from being pushed yet?  Might be worth a shot.

Sloan

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 18, 2014 1:58:52 PM
(0)
Scholar
Here's an odd question, is anyone here not playing Ingress?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 18, 2014 2:03:05 PM
(0)
Teacher

@james27007 :smileyhappy:  The more pertinent question is which faction! 

But seriously I've definitely wondered if ingress could be part of the cause.  But over at XDA this is getting discussed as well, and I've seen no mention of the game.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 18, 2014 2:16:46 PM
(0)
Scholar
@mrklaw lol, Resistance all the way. I agree, doubt out is the cause, but had to ask :smileyhappy:

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 18, 2014 2:48:44 PM
(0)
Teacher

@james27007 Excellent.  I can trust you then :smileyhappy:  

I'm thinking about trying another factory reset and not letting the phone update over the play store at all to see if that makes a difference.  

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 18, 2014 3:28:12 PM
(0)
Teacher

I've had the Note 3 since Sunday January 10th. Purchased it new from ATT. I noticed the GPS issue right away. I use Waze whenever I am on the road and it constantly looses my location telling me no GPS signal is available. Outside of this GPS issue the phone is great but the GPS not functioning properly is killing it for me.

When I get into my car I place my phone in a dock, plug in power, start my music or a podcast and then start waze and go on my way. I use waze mainly to avoid traffic jams. It saves me at least an hour a week in my commute. I have had the following phones and used Waze or Google maps without issue.

Moto Atrix

Moto Atrix2

Moto AtrixHD

Samsung Galaxy S4

Nokia 1520 (For only a week)

The GPS on all of these phones functioned fine.

Please ATT address this issue soon so that I don't have to return the phone.

This is a bit rediculous considering this is a flagship phone.

How many in this thread created an account just to express frustration with this issue?

It's why I created this account

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 18, 2014 5:01:56 PM
(0)
Teacher
RogerSherman This is the reason i created this account too.

I hope ATT monitors this forum and does something soon. EVERY SINGLE ATT NOTE 3 I have seen has this issue. Every Verizon and T-mobile Note 3 that I have seen does NOT have this GPS issue. This is starting to become a deal breaker for me. I am starting to think I am going to return the phone.

Since I have only seen it on ATT phones and it works for a short time after a reset, I truly believe that this is a software problem.

COME ON ATT!!!!!!!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 18, 2014 5:14:12 PM
(0)
Contributor

im having the same problems with nav apps.  havent noticed the 4g to lte and back causing it but never paid attention to that.  also the charger plugging and unplugging causing gps to turn off is happening, even with supplied charger and cable.  I've had the note 2 prior with no issues.  now upgraded to note 3 in oct. and having gps issues.  first contacted samsung and did the resets and all the steps they had me go through.  it didnt fix it.  went to att tech center and they swapped out the phone.  i thought wow what great service. thinking maybe i got a faulty one as i got if within first few days of release.  well that didnt help so att center gave me another  new one (that makes 3).  then it was 1-2 days the problem i was having was on this unit too.  i called att and tech service over the phone told me to contact the apps directly, becasue she couldnt see any faults from where she was at (ohio).  so today i called samsung directly and they are having me mail it to them to have their technician look at it.  she said she had gotten 1 other call about this, but didnt mention the resolution for it.  so hopefully 5-10days ill have a working note 3 the way i extepect it to work.  i use navigation apps about 3 hrs a day and is one of the reasons i like the notes, the screen. hopefully if it software related the fix comes quick. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 19, 2014 12:24:46 AM
(0)
Mentor
Well somebody came up with a fix over at XDA, unfortunately you have to be rooted. I don't want to root my phone so I won't be testing out that fix. And as others have said, flashing to X-Note ROM solves the issue. They have said the X-Note ROM contains the GPS files from the International version so I'm guessing the fix is probably a flash only of the International GPS files. I'm just waiting for KitKat to come around to see if it fixes the problem. If it doesn't then I'll fix it the hard way.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 19, 2014 9:42:25 AM
(0)
Teacher
goldendragOn The sad thing is it will probably be 6 months until ATT releases KitKat.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 20, 2014 4:39:30 PM
(0)
Scholar

@mrklaw I tried that on the last factory reset. Since my 4th phone would last about 23-26 hrs, I thought it was worth a shot to do a factory reset and not install anything or let anythnig update. I didn't even log into gmail, so there way no way for the play store to run updates; really felt odd having a phone with nothing on it (I used my old S2 to play Ingress while I waited); I did not sideload anything. However I did disable every app possible. Well right around the 24/25 hr mark, GPS issue came back. So it comes down to a firmware and/or hardware issue :smileysad:

I agree, would be nice if AT&T actually provided a fix for this. I think the next step is a copmplaint to the BBB or FCC, I have let AT&T try and fix the issue without a resolution that is acceptable. This should get thier attention.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 21, 2014 4:46:19 AM
(0)
Mentor

@james27007 When you did that, you skipped entering in all the stuff at reset right? I mean the whole AT&T Ready2Go thing and the Samsung Account. No Google account either. Just a reset and skipped everything and just letting the phone sit there? Even when you entered Google Maps and it asked you to sign in, you skipped that too? Because as I understand it there's some settings that goes with our Google accounts that get backed up to their server and is restored to our phones after logging back in. So if you did sign in somewhere then it could be some setting that gets restored a day later. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 21, 2014 4:55:42 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by james27007 on Jan 21, 2014 at 4:56:09 AM

@goldendrag0n Correct, I did not sign into anything.

I skipped the 1st splash screen (the Ready2Go), skipped the Ready2Go popup, skipped the samsung account signin. When I opened maps and it asked me to sign in, I skipped that too. So there way no way for the phone to connect to the play store or know it was linked to me in any way.

I did not sign into my work e-mail or google on the internet brower or chrome (just in case it somehow signed in my phone). The phone was 100% disconnected from any account of any kind except my phone number through the sim card. 

So there was no way from the phone to update the stock apps or settings in any way

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 21, 2014 5:08:59 AM
(0)
Mentor

@james27007 Well that certainly narrows down a few things. Thanks for testing that out, was gonna get around to it but was too lazy. It seems to be the 24h mark for most of us, although my first reset I managed to get it to appear right after reinstalling everything and I was just starting to set everything back up again so that one time it managed to appear before the 24h mark. Then it must be some inherent bug with the ROM, hardware just can't choose to work for 24 hours then call it quit and since you effectively stayed offline after your reset it can't be an update. If it was hardware it'd stay broke, can't just keep resetting it and having it work for 24 hours every time. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 21, 2014 9:58:37 PM
(0)
Tutor

Well...  just signed up as well to be added to the list of people having the GPS problem.  Really sucks coming from a Note 2 where everything worked perfectly.

Anyway, I think we should all call ATT and keep getting replacement phones from them until they notice the financial impact this problem is causing.  Maybe they will put some attention into fixing this issue then?