Posted Nov 18, 2013
8:12:20 PM
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 GPS Issue

Anyone else having issues with their Note 3 GPS? I'm having an issue were every time I plug or unplug the charger from my phone the GPS drops out. I have to then toggle the GPS on/off in my quick settings to get it working again while navigating. It also seems to drop the signal when I get an incoming phone call while using the navigation app. I have confirmed this same behavior on 2 other friends Note 3's. I'm hoping this is just a software issue that will be fixed in a future os update.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Mar 27, 2014 8:38:41 AM
(0)
Community Manager

Hello, everyone!

Customers who have an AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 3 began to receive the latest version of Android 4.4 KitKat today.

For more information, please click on the link below.

Android 4.4 KitKat

-Mariana

Rethink Possible

For account specific help, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
874 replies
(122) Me too
(122) Me too
Replies
(874)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 8, 2014 1:34:04 PM
(0)
Contributor

I did a complete Factory reset on my Note 3 and it did not help. I took it to the DSC center and could not replicate the problem in the store but as soon as I got to the parking lot I was able to replicate the problem. Not sure what to do because if I can not replicate they see it as a non - issue. I will try another store and maybe even take the repor outside and show them.

This is what I do to replicate the issue.

1. Start navigation to your desitination, you do not have to actually be driving this can be done standing in one place.

2. Make a call to anyone, this will switch the phone to 4G

3. End the call and bring naviagation back up

4. Once it switches back to LTE the signal will drop

Re: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 GPS Issue

31 of 875 (7,022 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 9, 2014 10:08:06 AM
(0)
Explorer
That's one thing I forgot. Google Sky works fine on all my other phones (still have 2 S4's) but doesn't on this one. It's always lost. The compass works fine though.

32 of 875 (6,949 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 9, 2014 10:44:47 AM
(0)
Mentor

Using navigation just this morning, two phone calls did not seem to affect it but 5 minutes later the GPS list contact and would not reconnect until a reboot.

33 of 875 (6,943 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 9, 2014 10:46:55 AM
(0)
Tutor

Ditto me too....  Seems to indeed be something related to how the Galaxy Note 3 switches back and forth between G4 and LTE, or vice versa.  Not sure if it's a hardware issue or a software issue at this point, but it is frustrating....never had this problem with my iPhone 5...  No word on this issue from Samsung, however....hoping a fix is in the works though...

34 of 875 (6,944 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 9, 2014 3:09:16 PM
(0)
Voyager
I have the exact same issue as the original post. If I have GPS running and I plug in my Note 3, GPS freezes and I have to stop/start GPS to get it to work again. I tired it with my wife's Note 3 with the same exact result. All it takes is using Google Maps to test, and it happens every time it is plugged in.

I also notice, while plugged in, that if I switch from an LTE tower to a 4G tower, it stops working as well. I can stop/start GPS from the drop down menu, but I have to pay attention to GPS to keep it from freezing.

Hopefully it is something in the radio attack that can be fixed with an OS update.

35 of 875 (6,921 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2014 10:55:59 PM
(0)
Mentor

How can an AT&T rep say that this is not a problem? Yes it happens when the phone switches from 4G LTE to 4G, BUT it ALSO happens when I plug or unplug the charger from my phone. Even sitting in one place and just having Google Maps open AT HOME, I lose GPS fix after plugging and unplugging the charger. That has NOTHING to do with apps that check your location. Besides from the AccuWeather widget that comes PRELOADED on the phone, I don't have anything else that uses my location, but that's besides the point. Plugging and unplugging a charger has nothing to do with any apps that uses your location as I said earlier. So what's going on? Do I need to bring my phone in the store for an exchange? 

36 of 875 (6,668 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2014 4:11:48 PM
(0)
Teacher

This s clearly a BUG in Note 3 device .I am thinking it is mostly a Hardware issue.Unless Samsung Acknowledges this issue and develops a FIX we all have to live with this BUG on our Note 3 Devices .Better to STOP using GPS on the Note 3 and use other GPS alternatives like GARMIN etc.

Did anyone Contact Samsung regarding this and tell them this is a Universal problem with all Note 3 Devices?Not sure if they even Acknowledge this Issue.

37 of 875 (6,593 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2014 10:22:38 PM
(0)
Mentor

Because it does not affect ALL Note 3s, even within AT&T there are only a few of us with this problem. If it was UNIVERSAL as you suggest, EVERYBODY would be on here. I just need AT&T to tell me if it's a software issue or a hardware issue, software I'll wait but if it's hardware I'm exchanging my phone. We're all here looking for that answer, I don't know how you've all of a sudden become everybody that's using the Note 3 to confirm that it's a hardware problem, or you've become AT&T or Samsung to confirm for us. And if it IS a hardware oroblem, Samsung won't be able to fix it. So clearly you know what you're saying and seem very knowledgeable, I think we should all listen to you. </sarcasm>

38 of 875 (6,554 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2014 3:50:59 AM
(0)
Voyager

I have GPS lock problem with my Note 3. This never happened with my Note 1. My Note 1 GPS locked as easy as breathing air. The issue with my Note 3 is that the GPS lock is very unstable when it comes to the locking process. The phone says the GPS is searching, however this process takes forever, when signal is lost in a tunnel when I'm on the road, sometimes I have to pull over and wait for a new GPS lock. In desparation I rooted mye phone and installed the ROM build 5.0 X-Transformer, the problem was not solved. I plan to install KitKat rom when it get launched. When my Note 3 finally gets GPS lock, it seems to be just as fast monitoring satelites / smooth / receives strong GPS signal as mye Note 1, however it is the initial satelite finding and locking that seems to be the main issue. I now regret buying the Note 3, Samsung has lost my cred :smileysad: 

39 of 875 (6,535 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2014 4:22:08 AM
(0)
Scholar

I know there is no answer to this, but I wanted to add I am also having the same issue, hopefully AT&T sees that this is more than just a few devices and does something.

I had the old S1 (Captivate) and got to the point that I was never going to use a Samsung device again becasue of the GPS issues it had. Well when the Note 1 came out and I heard nothing but great news about the GPS, I got one and found the GPS was perfect 100% of the time. I upgraded to the Note 2 when it came out and same result, perfect GPS. Well expecting the Note 3 to offer the same results, I got it without hesitation. Well my good luck has ran out.

After reading what I could, I have the same issue as many people here where the GPS icon flat out disappers when I switch from Wifi to data, or from 4G to LTE and back.LTE is spotty where I live, so my drive to work SUCKS! I had the phone replaced in early December for this (after multiple factory resets), the new unit worked great till last week (again 100% stock, not rooted and after 4 factory resets). I went to the DSC and got another just this past Friday, the GPS worked great again all weekend (switching between 4G/LTE no issues), until this morning. Problem is back :smileysad:

What gets me is that this issue started popping up in the forums abuout the time AT&T released the 1st OTA update. I wonder if the OTA update screwed up the aGPS when switching radios or something.

I'm going to try shutting off "Use Wireless Networks" to see if that helps... 

40 of 875 (6,529 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2014 6:03:08 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by james27007 on Jan 13, 2014 at 7:53:47 AM

Well, no dice. I cleared the aGPS (using gps status & toolbox), turned off "Use Wireless networks" then rebooted the phone and GPS still dies. Time to call AT&T again... 

On a side note, I called the device warranty number and they cannot send me a new phone, only another referbished one. I don't think it will fix it, but willing to try.

[ Edited ]
41 of 875 (6,518 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2014 2:38:34 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by james27007 on Jan 13, 2014 at 2:40:30 PM

Now I'm convinced this is a hardware issue. The 2nd referb (3rd phone) lasted 3 days and now, not only does the GPS drop when switching between 4G/LTE (as I posted abouve) but it also now drops when plugging and unplugging the phone from power. What the fudge??? Well AT&T is sending another to try so I hope it works.

As a side note (this comes from tone78's post above):
If you take the phone to a DSC and need to recreate the 4G/LTE issue, make sure you are in an LTE area, call your phone and let it connect. Your phone will switch to 4G while on the call. Leave the call connected and connect to GPS (use Google Nav or Waze, some app that leaves the GPS connection on even if you leave the app), then have the person end the call. As soon as your phone switches back to LTE, the GPS icon will disappear.

[ Edited ]
42 of 875 (6,464 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2014 4:59:32 PM
(0)
Mentor
Don't even need to call your phone, just plug/unplug the charger. But from your posts it now leads me to believe it's software. If it was hardware then it shouldn't have worked at all, but it did work for 3 days and now it's exhibiting the problem seems to me like software. It'd be a pretty big coincident the GPS chip goes faulty after 3 days when it was perfectly fine before, but I guess it could happen. And it's not the MJ5 update either, if you look back on that thread on XDA, member "agent" answered that question when he said his phone worked fine on MJ5 for a while before he started having problems, plus probably all AT&T users that aren't rooted and even some that are are probably on MJ5 right now and they seem to be fine as they're not on here posting. So maybe it's a combination of MJ5 and specific GPS chips that cause it to go haywire.

43 of 875 (6,446 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2014 5:28:59 PM
(0)
Mentor

I have tried plugging and unplugging the phone and do not find that it affects the GPS.I did find that the car locator atsimply cannot locate my car.When using the arrow points and random directionsit seems that the GPS is utterly lost and cannot help me find a car.I have emailedthe developer to see if he has any comments about the note 3 as a phone.

44 of 875 (6,426 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2014 7:57:14 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by james27007 on Jan 14, 2014 at 9:17:43 AM

Try the app GPS Toolbox: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.eclipsim.gpsstatus2

Go into the settings and clear the aGPS, then redownload it to see if that help. It will also show you if your GPS works or not.

For me, as long as the GPS is on, I have a solid 10 foot [edit] lock [/edit] and I never lose it, well until I unplug my phone or switch from LTE to 4G.

[ Edited ]
45 of 875 (6,414 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2014 6:42:28 AM
(0)
Scholar

@goldendrag0n I agree, the more I have looked at this (and my info below about the 0.75A charger) I agree that it is most likely a combonation of MJ5 update and some falty hardware. It may be as simple as, the failure is happening to the motherboard (becasue of the charger issues) but can take time depending on how bad the failure/defect is. Well my 4th phone arrives tomorrow, I'll report back when I get it, test it and load all my apps back on to test again.

Another thing to add to the oddness of this, I just tested my charger at work (It is an iGo 0.75A wasll chager) and it does NOT cause the GPS to disconnect. Just for S&G I went out to my car, and tried the 1.0A and 2.1A ports on my car charger and both of them casue the GPS to disconnect. No idea what this means or why the low powered 0.75A charger does not cause this problem, just wanted to add this bit of info...

46 of 875 (6,360 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2014 9:07:47 AM
(0)
Mentor

:manlol:

OMG. If you were trying to make me bust a gut you sure succeeded. 

I hope you never loose your solid 10 foot long. 

47 of 875 (6,334 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2014 9:19:13 AM
(0)
Scholar

@Vetdoctor :smileyembarrassed: Stuipd auto correct, that changed the entire meaning of my post. ROFL

48 of 875 (6,329 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2014 2:49:12 PM
(0)
Mentor
@james27007 That's very interesting. I was using AndroTS GPS Test and when I plug in my wall charger that came with the phone, evey plug/unplug it would show the GPS chip going from ON to OFF. Then I borrowed my mom's Rugby II charger, which is a 0.7A charger, plugging/unplugging still makes me lose fix, GPS icon still goes away in notification bar and it goes to OFF too. And the charger in my car is 1.0A, so I've tested it on 3 different chargers. Makes no difference to my phone. What's interesting about AndroTS GPS Test is that after plugging/unplugging, sometimes it'll show as if the GPS chip tries to power back on after the plug/unplug and tries to achieve a lock, it gets as far as 5/5 satellites and then seems like everything powers off again. Of course that happens in about a second or so but that's the only GPS test that's showed all of those states. I'm gonna wait another day or two to see if anyone has an answer, otherwise I'm bringing my phone back in, this is something that should not be happening on a $299+8% tax on $700-800 phone.

49 of 875 (6,302 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2014 3:01:05 PM
(0)
Scholar

@goldendrag0n That is a killer app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.androits.gps.test.free) and yes it shows the GPS chip (upper left corner) powering off when I plug in the device. The fact that my 0.75A charger does not kill it but your 0.7A charger does is insane. 

I'm making a plea to everyone here and everyone that reads this, IF YOU HAVE GPS ISSUES CALL AT&T AND GET A REPLACEMENT. If we get enogh people calling, yelling..., maybe they can make a fix for it.

50 of 875 (6,296 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2014 9:40:16 AM
(0)
Tutor
Same here, GPS signal lost. It happens at least once a day, I am just so dissapointed

51 of 875 (6,188 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2014 11:56:28 AM
(0)
Scholar

Mine and my wifes both have this issue. We were riding down south to a frends house and mine lost gps signal and my wifes would never connect. ATT wont do anything. Look at the issues with the wifi dropping also. I think both are are the same chip so its probobly a hardware issue. I 

went and got a LTM Garmin GPS from bestbuy during Black Friday thank god. 

52 of 875 (6,175 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2014 2:59:50 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by james27007 on Jan 16, 2014 at 10:48:01 AM

Update:

I just received my new, wait scratch that, 3rd referbished Note 3 (yes it has MJ5) from FedEx. Just did the OEM 2.1A charger plug/unplug test, GPS icon still there. So I rebooted the phone, then let it get a full lock while on wifi, walked down the street to make it switch to 4G, still good. Still need to test 4G to LTE, but I'll do that later and report back.

Like I said, if you are having GPS issues, call AT&T and get a replacement. If they don't want to replace it, ask for a supervisor. Remeber to be very nice and polite and the supervisor will help you. Let's see how long this one lasts, maybe I'll get luckey this time... Now the "fun" :smileyfrustrated: task of reinstalling everything

[UPDATE 1/16/14] - Everything & all my apps are reinstalled. Went out and after testing last night and this morning (4G - LTE and back) multiple times thorugh multiple areas, including making and receiving calls in an LTE area, so far my GPS is working. 

There is something odd, the GPS icon will blink like it is trying to get a lock, but when I check how close the lock is, it is about 3 meters. Not sure if it means anything, but it works (knock on wood)...

[ Edited ]
53 of 875 (6,160 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2014 1:27:33 PM
(0)
Voyager
Edited by Phil-101 on Jan 16, 2014 at 1:31:23 PM

I finally managed to find a somewhat fix for my Samsung Note 3 GPS lock problem. The problem seems to be software related, note hardware. After rooting my note 3 and installing a ROM that did not solve the problem, I installed unofficial KitKat ROM,

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

My GPS now locks every time I power on my Note 3, using the free app: "GPS test", it locks to the satelites just as effective as my Note 1. When I see the lock taking place in GPS test, I open Sygic (the car navigation program I prefer to use) - and this works super. However, if I turn on my phone and do not open the app GPS test straight away, then the lock problem happen again. But every time I restart mye Note 3 (power off, then power on / do a reboot), the unofficial KitKat ROM really do a great job. 

My guess is that the Samsung Note 3 GPS lock problem is partly caused by a "permission conflict", a purely software problem that Samsung can solve making a update.

When the official KitKat update / ROM is launched by Samsung for Note 3, and if the GPS lock problem still is not solved, this will really be a catastrophe or incompetence on behalf of the Samsung team responsible for the Note 3 GPS.    

Take care :smileyhappy:

[ Edited ]
54 of 875 (6,048 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2014 6:26:16 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by james27007 on Jan 16, 2014 at 6:47:34 PM

Wow not even 24 hours this time. Plug/un-plug & switching between 4G/LTE it dropps again. I even tried going into safe mode (while powering on the device,. keep hitting the menu button) to disable all of the installed apps, still nothing. 

I know this sound wierd, but I wonder if there is some hidden power save menu for the GPS?

I'm did a factory reset and it started working... I'm only going to install Ingress and Ingress wakelock and see how long this lasts. This should not happen with an $800 device. I think this is the last time I get a Samsung 

[ Edited ]
55 of 875 (6,009 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2014 7:18:05 PM
(0)
Teacher

Add me to the GPS issue.  It looks like I have the issue when you plug and unplug the charger, change the cell phone towers (from LTE to 4G and back), and it also loses the GPS signal when the phone is put in and out of airplane mode.  

I called ATT support and they transferred me to samsung.  After a few diagnostics they said I need to send the phone in/get a replacement.  

Before calling ATT support I reset the phone to factory.  Resetting it fixed the gps issue for one day.  After the reset I could plug/unplug the charger, change cell towers, and put the phone in and out of airport mode without the GPS turning off.  However after one day the GPS issue came back.

After the GPS problem came back, I stopped at the ATT store and tested the two note 3s they had on display and both of them had the GPS issue.  Also while talking to an employee at the store and showing him the problem with the two phones they had on display, he took out his note 3 and it also had the GPS issue.  He never knew he had the problem. 

It also looks like this could mainly be an AT&T problem.  I have checked three verizon and two T Mobile note 3s and none of them have the GPS problem.

I just reset the phone again and the GPS is again working correctly.  Will wait and see. 

56 of 875 (6,008 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2014 12:23:31 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by goldendrag0n on Jan 17, 2014 at 12:27:30 AM

@james27007 @nicman @TeddySkinner 

Like you guys I have been doing the same thing. After wipe it seems to work fine, and I do suspect it's a software issue. I was actually in the process of writing an update here last night, as I was writing I decided to check it one more time to be absolutely sure I'd gotten rid of the problem when it happened again.

At the time I suspected the Flipboard widget that's preinstalled on our homescreen as that was the last app I started up before it happened. So then I wiped my phone a second time last night to test out Flipboard, but to my dismay the GPS continued to work perfectly even after I had signed in to the widget. Then I suspected GSam as that was the app I set up prior to Flipboard. So I left GSam uninstalled since the wipe last night, everything was still working until a few hours ago. I was going to drop by here and give an update when I thought, okay one last test... then boom we're back to square one.

It has to be some sort of software issue as all 3 of us have noticed, a factory wipe without installing apps/backup restore works but after we install our apps and use it for a day or so it bugs out again. But I can't think of what might be causing it, what app could affect the GPS chip like that? Plugging/unplugging normally has NOTHING to do with the GPS, so why is it causing it to shutdown. And the 4G LE to 4G switch too, it's on a separate radio, so how does it affect GPS? This is beyond annoying but at least we've been able to confirm with a 80-90% probability that it's not a hardware problem.

[ Edited ]
57 of 875 (5,961 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2014 1:35:44 AM
(0)
Mentor
Also head to this thread on XDA where a few others confirm it's some sort of software problem and flashing to X-Note ROM has solved their issues.

forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2612757

Hopefully the jump to KitKat will fix this issue.

58 of 875 (5,942 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2014 1:45:20 AM
(0)
Mentor
Add another one,owned my note 3 for about 10 days this issue kept occurring swapped it out for another new one same issue yet again. I really don't believe it's a hardware issue definitely seems like something related to when it switches from 4G To LTE and so forth. In any case I hope it gets fixed either by kitkat or some update as for such a high end expensive phone this is unacceptable.

59 of 875 (5,937 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2014 1:51:52 AM
(0)
Mentor
P.S before any AT&T "technical support" mentions factory reset again been down that path also. (P.p.s rarely does that actually fix any issue for any phone beyond a day or two.)

60 of 875 (5,937 Views)