Posted Nov 6, 2012
Samsung Galaxy Note 2 MultiView firmware - WHEN?

Phonedog review of actual AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (Nov, 5, 2012)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr5I16_L23o&feature=player_embedded

When will AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 2 recieve the MultiView firmware update?

Other USA carriers have either already released this important update (Sprint) - or will ship with the MutliView Update preloaded (Verizon)

426 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(426)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 28, 2012
(0)
Hiii...i still keeps getting it is up to date though its still on 4.1.1...and i cant check again update for 8 days...did anybody in nj state got the update done...because at some site they sayatt has released it on phases based on state or imei number....

Re: Samsung Galaxy Note 2 MultiView firmware - WHEN?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 28, 2012
(0)

Nothing yet in Ma.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 28, 2012
(0)

Got my update Yesterday..I Had to set my date forward cause I had Already Checked Once, But it still worked..I Downloaded It over 4g and it only took 20 minutes (10 minutes to download, 5 minutes to install, and 5 minutes to update my apps for 4.1.2)..I Love the update, But where is the Sync Toggle? And Btw I recieved this update in Virginia..

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 28, 2012
(0)
I'm in Lynchburg, VA and have yet to receive my update. I've tried the trick of advancing the date to no avail. I guess it will happen when it happens. It is none the less frustrating.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 28, 2012
(0)
Im in houston in received my update yesterday 2:00 o clock pm central time they must be rolling it out in phrases since alot of people havent got they update yet

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 28, 2012
(0)

I'm in California and I am yet to get the update. I have rolled my clock multiple times and that didn't work either. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 28, 2012
(0)

Yeah, I tried rolling it forward 24 hours, but it didn't work. I rolled back 24 from the day and it doubled my time. So it's just a stupid algorithm that only checks the total distance, not whether negative/positive. At least that's what it seems.

Anyway, I have 25+ hours until I can check again and I'm just going to put up with it. Even the iPhone updates took forever. The difference was that you could sign up and get the beta as an apple developer. So that's what I always did.

Apple is the exception that proves the rule. And even Google had to ink a special deal in limited quantiies and features to get the Google phones out there - notice they are only 16 GB of RAM and NO SD cards. Carriers rule in situations like this, and so we can just complain. Samsung is not Apple. They are making a good run at the market, but still if memory serves from the last sales figures, Apple is 50% of the total smartphone market, so they have more control.

Ken

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 28, 2012
(0)
I forward my time about three times and it finally worked for me at first it wouldnt let me hit the download button then it just happen and it started downloading

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 28, 2012
(0)
OK...breathe (j/k)...and please space out your posts, next time! Or maybe there was a formatting problem in your posting :smileywink:
Did you just read my diatribe a few pages back? :smileyhappy: But, seriously, it's good that you came to the 'rational' conclusion that you did, in the end. Wow...you lucked out with the 180$ credit too, after all that!
Yes, please spread the word...for people to do their homework before they stand on a soapbox and scream!
Yep, LTE is great isn't it!?! I got 50Mbps when in NYC and about 20Mbps upload. Around DC, it's a bit higher than my wifi, due to me perhaps not living right near the tower. I suspect if I walked around to where the tower is, it would be much higher. But, 25 isn't bad at all. Some people have posted screenshots of upwards of 70-75 Mbps download times.
To answer your last question, about the size of the update. The simple answer is probablybecause the updates contain different features, aside from just the Samsung Multi-Window feature.
The other US carriers have different builds. Ours moves the OS to 4.1.2, and we have the jzo54k build. The same build as the N7100 model, yet I still don't see how to customize the notification shade/toggles. Not a big deal, but would like to know if it was on the N7100 update. Therefore, AT&T makes changes after they get it, of course...for better or worse.
Also, yes the other carriers have enabled slightly more or less apps that work with multi-view...of course, ATT's account login app is one of them! :smileyhappy:
More apps will follow...as developers catch on. Of course it's ONE device, so it depends. I noticed one of my file explorer apps is there as well (Solid Explorer). All-in-all it's pretty cool. You can move the multi-task tab around to the bottom/top/left/right. Which is GREAT for one-handed use on the Note 2 and avoiding the long reach (for some ppl). Also, works well with the long press of the home button while in multi-window mode with two apps already open...it just replaces one window with the app you choose, etc. Lots of future possibilities with this.
I wonder if Android will come out with another way to have multiple screens. Yet, the Note 2 is large enough to make this useful. The LG phone is interesting, but I don't see how a translucent app over a running one is great or as useful.

=========
lmt1718 wrote:

Hey there I have made quite a few posts on this thread since the Note two was released being I had pre ordered it and had it since day one and was dissappointed it did not come with the Multi-View. I had seen it advertised on Samsungs website but to tell you the truth I cannot find a place where AT&T advertised it with that. Which from day one I swore they did but after reading a few posts on here I did some research and found that I was wrong . AT&T did not advertise the Multi-View. Which in my eyes with them being the second largest carrier gives them no excuse not being able to push that up date out quicker. I feel AT&T did drag there feet but they did not advertise (and I checked everywhere for it) I had seen it advertised on Samsungs website back when the Galay Note 2 first hit the U.S. there was a 8 minute video showing off all the features including Multi-View and I took that as everyone of them would have it out of box. As I said before in previous posts that feature is the main reason I bought the phone. And I also said that if AT&T even gave us a date that I would be happy. And they did yesterday and since then I have seen more posts in these two days then over the course of this thread. I had checked for a update at 3 am on the 27th with no luck and had to wait 24 hours before trying again then after reading posts I tried the unchecking of automatic date and set it forward one day and checked once more and it was there. I did happen to be on my home WIFI not sure if that matter or not. But for me knowing it was coming was good enough for me sure I was anxious to get it but after hearing that others have gotten it and it would soon be on my device thats enough for me. I have seen over the air updates take weeks because they did it in phases so they did'nt overload the network. This is true with other carriers cause I have been with Sprint and T-Mobile. One thing is for sure I'm sure glad I don't have A Note 2 on Sprint there network is incredibly slow T-Mobile is half decent and Verizon's Note two only has about five or six Apps in its Multi-View. So when it comes to everything else with AT&T I'm very happy there internet is blazing fast I live in Philadelphia and they just released LTE and I have speedtested it the higgest was 53.69Mbps download and 22.94 upload here is a screen shot of other tests around my area. And there the only network you can talk and be on the internet at the same time. Customer service has been amazing excet when trying to get answers about Multi-View and probably cause they didnt know and over the next 12 months they are crediting my bill a total of 180 dollars because of not having it when released. Which they werent in the wrong I was for not doing more research, but to keep me happy they credited my bill over the next 12 months 180 dollars. Which is awesome and I dont think any other carrier will do the same. So I was all for blasting AT&T before they gave us a date and before I did more research I dont think we should continue with all these crazy posts blasting AT&T when its us who are impatient they released it. It's just gonna take a lil bit longer to reach everybody else. And I'm not just saying this because I got it because I didnt have it last night when I first checked and I posted if anybody gets the update let us know so we know it's getting pushed out. We need to know when to fight and when to let up or they wont take us serious when there is another issue they'll see all the complaints of people not getting it because they keep pushing back there ability to check for updates on there own. Not to be hiper critical because I tried once after seeing it on the post but wouldnt keep trying it after I seen it was pushing back my ability to check for updates. These are my opinions and I'm not directing this towards anybody in specific just think we should think and research before we go posting.

Quick question if anybody knows the answer please let me know. Why was this update 178 MB and the one for Sprint was 30 something MB and T-Mobile was 60 something MB ? Dont realize any other features added and the updates for Sprint and T-Mobile were for the Multi-View to so I was just wondering why our update was so much bigger ? Thanks

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 28, 2012
(0)
I think I read that someone suggested to go to AT&T...if you don't want to wait (or created a monster day count!). Maybe worth a shot, if it's not too far from where you live.
They may be able to bypass their software update app to allow for it to happen immediately.
=====
kenrimple wrote:

Yeah, I tried rolling it forward 24 hours, but it didn't work. I rolled back 24 from the day and it doubled my time. So it's just a stupid algorithm that only checks the total distance, not whether negative/positive. At least that's what it seems.

..... .... .... ...(snip).... ....

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 28, 2012
(0)

Any in NJ did the update?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 28, 2012
(0)

Just spoke to a rep who works directly in the presidents office for AT&T:

I filed a BBB complaint against AT&T for how they handled this whole multi-window update fiasco. Someone initially contacted me the other day, and I missed the call. They attempted to contact me, again, and I missed the call. And then another time. Finally, I was able to get them just about five minutes ago. They told me they worked in the presidents office at AT&T. He wanted to inform me the update for multi-windows was, in fact, out as of the 27th. I told him I was aware and had updated.

I took the liberty to inform him of the issues a lot of you all were having. I told him that I had to do the date change trick to force an update. I told him there were many people posting online, of having to wait crazy amounts of times (like 2,800 hours) before being able to successfully check for an update. He gave me the usual mantra of appreciating my feedback, and he'd give it to the folks in-charge of the software development and the people in-charge or rolling out the update. He also told me the reason why it took so long for AT&T to release the update (and he was quite aware AT&T took the longest of all the carriers) was because they do extensive testing to make sure things like multi-window will be compatible with their network and whatever else. So, take that as you will. I know another rep from retentions told me the exact same thing. I don't necessarily think they're lying about that, but I'm sure there's some underlying things we are not privy to.

At any rate, I also asked him how the update was released so I can pass the information along to people on sites like XDA and others. I wanted to know was the update a staggered release or should it have been available to everyone at once? He told me that from what he was told, the update was INITIALLY staggered, but as of right now, EVERYONE should be able to update to 4.1.2. So, there you have it. From the sheep's mouth. I hope this information is helpful for someone. I will post this on a few other websites I'm following pertaining to this same issue.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 28, 2012
(0)

I'm still not getting the update and I'm thinking of going to one of their stores if I get the time. I know a lot of us have Ben waiting for this update and now that it's out some of us can't even get it...I just hope we don't have to wait another 3 months to get it. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 28, 2012
(0)

Capture111.PNG

When I tried to update using Kies but it doesn't show the updated firmware

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 28, 2012
(0)
@vsr u cant update it though kies its only a ota update u got too get it though ur phone no kies

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 28, 2012
(0)

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 28, 2012
(0)

Other than multiview, what other features are added?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 28, 2012
(0)

you can change the color of the ink effect on lockscreen. swype is added. you can change it where the volume keys take pictures. There are some things missing from the international version like customizing the notification panel and a few more features.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 28, 2012
(0)

Hi,

I've been unable to connect to my home wifi since i did the update yesterday. I get an error message that the wifi network signal is too weak. Everything was fine before the update. all my other devices are connected with no problems. battery pull worked for a few minutes then i got disconnected from wifi again. At&t tech support couldnt help. Any ideas?

thanks!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 28, 2012
(0)

" you can change it where the volume keys take pictures"

Please explain or point me where this can be set?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 28, 2012
(0)
cipoosta

"you can change the color of the ink effect on lockscreen. swype is added. you can change it where the volume keys take pictures. There are some things missing from the international version like customizing the notification panel and a few more features."

========

Swype was already a part of the Note II so how was it added???

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 28, 2012
(0)

Note 2 just did software upgrade 4.1.2 at&t I317.. I now have it . Use drop down menu to access it. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 28, 2012
(0)

I317 AT&T with s/w upgrade 4.1.2. Use drop down menu at top of screen and go to multi window. It then creates a tab in the lower left hand side of the screen

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 28, 2012
(0)
I still can't get the update:smileysad:

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 29, 2012
(0)
Toggle panel? I believe thats what im looking for. I would like to add words with friends and leter by letter to my multiview window- does anyone know if this is possible.? Also, I have a few videos I would like to share via email but im assuming they are too big while im getting a message (message failed) Being said, does anyone know of mayb an app that can make this happen? Other than that im very pleased with my multiwindow update :-))))

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 29, 2012
(0)

For what its worth I live in KY and just purchased my Note 2 a few days ago. I checked for the update around 8am on the 27th while on my works wifi and nothing. Because my phone was new and I hadn't installed many apps I just did a factory reset and tried again while on my company wifi around 9am and nothing. At that point I figured it wasn't my turn so I did another factory reset but this time waited till I went to lunch around 12 and checked while on LTE and the update came through fine. I am not sure if the fact I was on wifi had anything to do with it but it did work once I wasn't on my works wifi anymore.

Mike

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 29, 2012
(0)

Still no update for me. I'm on the phone currently with tech support rep who quite honestly seems clueless on the issue. This update has been frought with errors. Escalated now to supervisor who also is clueless. Actually said something about the Note 2 and jellybean 4.0???? Didn't know that the Note 2 came with 4.1.1 and that this OTA update is for 4.1.2. Total incompetance... 

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 29, 2012
(0)
Lol I can't check for another 1056hrs and I still have no update.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 29, 2012
(0)
If tech support doesn't know what's going on then would it be Worth going to a at&t Store to see if they can do Something about it?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 29, 2012
(0)
Are you guys trying to do this over wi-fi I would suggest doing it with it being turned off and using the network. I tried over wi-fi and it didn't work, I set my date a ahead and turned it off and used LTE and it found it right away