Posted Aug 1, 2010
6:54:42 AM
Samsung Captivate Problems

Trying Captivate after being Iphone user. Have done two factory resets. Besides the GPS not locking, slow to lock, and lossing lock, my biggest complaints are: 1) Slow screen scrolling 2) Yahoo mail app freezes or won't load at all. Yes have tried uninstall and reinstall. I wish email app on bottom bar would let you put in multiple email accounts. I have 2 Bellsouth.net and 1 gmail. 3) When holding phone in 1 hand and turning on or off, I have trouble NOT hitting the volume buttons. 4) When phone is in pocket, and slightest pressure is on any external buttons, the phone won't ring. It's the same as if you pressed button on incomming call to mute ringtone. 5) Sometimes if phone is off and want to turn on, holding power button does nothing. Will repeat several times until it finally turns on. 6) Settings, About Phone, System Tutorial, Begin button went to program once. Now nothing. This is even after factory reset. 7) Touch screen calibration seems to be off. Maybe only a few mm. But that enough to hit wrong icon. or url. There are more, but I will keep post short.

This complaint is petty, but it drives me nuts. Time on Splash screen. 24hr ( Military ) or 12 hr. I have set to 12 hr. Instead of saying 1:37pm, the clock will say 01:37pm. Come on Samsung. Get rid of the zero before the 1. Military would be 13:37.

116 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(116)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 16, 2010 5:52:56 AM
(0)
Tutor

i was told because i got the phone as a replacement from my original phone[ wish was the rugby 2] because i had so much trouble with that. i could only get the refurbished phone. i didnt get it from a store it was mailed to me from at&t. thanks for your help

Re: Samsung Captivate Problems

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 16, 2010 6:32:39 AM
(0)
Guru

Ah, that does explain the situation.

You might like to know that Samsung has their own warranty service, too.  Normally that service is for repair, but if you'd like to see what they have to offer, you can call 1-800-SAMSUNG.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 16, 2010 7:20:34 AM
(0)
Tutor

thanks again i talked to them already. of course they denied ever hearing of this or any other problem. they offered for me to send them the phone without sending a temp replacement. i dont have another phone. if the refurbished is as bad as this one i think ill cut my losses and get the i phone and stay away from samsung and any other items they might sell 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 16, 2010 7:39:54 AM
(0)
Tutor

fyi the phone has shut down 6 times already i woke up at 7am and its 10 40 am est zone

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 16, 2010 9:08:50 AM
(0)
Tutor

so my captivate has turned off by its self 12 times today its 12pm

i wish someone from at&t would read this and call me.

i think when my contract is up ill switch to verizon

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 17, 2010 8:41:19 AM
(0)
Scholar

ATT Addressbook will not sync.  The phone tries to sync several times an hour and always fails.  Last Successful sync was Oct 1st

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 21, 2010 3:32:44 AM
(0)
Tutor

they sent me a refurbished captivate and so far so good we will see

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 21, 2010 8:17:53 AM
(0)
Contributor

I have to say after only having this phone for a month or so its becoming a real pain. I liked the phone when i first got it but am really starting to not like it anymore.

1.Everytime i try to access my email anymore it force closes the email application, it never updates the email correctly when it did work. It always said i had a new email when i really never did. 

2. I can't update my phone anymore. When i first got the phone i was able to update it once but now it constantly tells me that it can't communicate with the at&t servers. And its stupid you have to wait 24 hours to try it again. 

3. The phone runs slow from time to time either switching applications or just scrolling. 

4. The fact that of all 4 pages of applications i have on my phone 3 of them is full of crap at&t has put on the phone that i will never use. 

5. My clock widget that i have on the phone froze yesterday and everytime i restart my phone it always says it has problems loading the widget. So i have to remove it and reinstall it on the home screen everytime and then it finally works. 

I really enjoyed this phone when i first got it but it seriously has been going downhill from there. I think i should have just stuck with the iphones and picked up the new iphone instead of trying something new because this phone isn't living up to what people said it was.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 22, 2010 12:29:10 PM
(0)
Master
Edited by Zandora on Oct 22, 2010 at 12:31:00 PM

osubucks1984 wrote:

I have to say after only having this phone for a month or so its becoming a real pain. I liked the phone when i first got it but am really starting to not like it anymore.

1.Everytime i try to access my email anymore it force closes the email application, it never updates the email correctly when it did work. It always said i had a new email when i really never did. 

2. I can't update my phone anymore. When i first got the phone i was able to update it once but now it constantly tells me that it can't communicate with the at&t servers. And its stupid you have to wait 24 hours to try it again. 

3. The phone runs slow from time to time either switching applications or just scrolling. 

4. The fact that of all 4 pages of applications i have on my phone 3 of them is full of crap at&t has put on the phone that i will never use. 

5. My clock widget that i have on the phone froze yesterday and everytime i restart my phone it always says it has problems loading the widget. So i have to remove it and reinstall it on the home screen everytime and then it finally works. 

I really enjoyed this phone when i first got it but it seriously has been going downhill from there. I think i should have just stuck with the iphones and picked up the new iphone instead of trying something new because this phone isn't living up to what people said it was.

I wonder if you did a hard reset if all of your probs will go away?

Are you on the latest software release?

Have you already done a hard reset previously?

It really sounds as if there is a lot of software not playing nicely on your phone.

I would highly recommend doing a hard reset and then reinstalling the apps one by one AND TEST EACH ONE individually before installing the next one. There just could have been buggy apps that wonked out your phone.

I went on a downloading spree when I first got my phone. BUT I tested each app after installation. (By testing, I simply mean trying to do what you downloaded it for.) I caught two apps that wonked out my phone, to the point where I was getting FCs and had to do battery pulls to get my phone back up and running. I immediately uninstalled them after I got my phone running again. Phone's been fine since.

Good luck.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 28, 2010 3:52:02 PM
(0)
Contributor

I did a hard reboot and the phone get worse.

Eating battery life -  maybe 6 hours before it need charge

Many "force stops" of applications

Can't answer a call the first time it trys to ring in

This phone sucks

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 29, 2010 10:37:23 AM
(0)
Master

Planorick wrote:

I did a hard reboot and the phone get worse.

Eating battery life -  maybe 6 hours before it need charge

Many "force stops" of applications

Can't answer a call the first time it trys to ring in

This phone sucks

So sorry you're having such probs.

It just may be that you got a bad phone.

If you're within your 30-day trial, go back to the store and exchange it.

If outside of your 30-day trial, you might have to do a warranty exchange.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 31, 2010 8:22:39 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by nostraticispeak on Oct 31, 2010 at 8:23:17 AM

Planorick,

Backup your call and sms logs if necessary. Backup your contacts onto your SIM.

Try the Factory Reset and not just a system reboot. This should get rid of everything you had on your device and bring it back to the state you got the phone. Then see if your problems persist.

Battery life does suck, even on my Captivate. That said, I have installed >180 really good apps but with only a handful running at any given time. Talk time does use up most of the charge, then there's the Phone Idle, whatever that is - I think it's the radio staying alive and looking for signals - that takes second place. Display comes in third; it takes the first spot when I'm not getting any calls and even when I've got the brightness down to 0%.

Try the app called MySettings (download from the Android market): it gives you easy and quick access to the most common settings.

Finally, I'm using my second Captivate after I returned the first one to Amazon within the 30 day period. The former kept randomly jumping back to home with the Home button being activated for no good reason. I suspect, although I'm not positive, it had something to do with the LauncherApp UI that I downloaded. Would completely stay away from UI changes (and I have) until the next Android update.

My current phone (I know I said 'finally...', still) did go through the phase where it randomly shutdown. Was extremely annoying when I missed calls (had the phone in my pant pocket or left it on charge at night, and it would turn off without telling me). Turned off the Battery conserver apps that I had running and I haven't had any major issues since then. I dont think that's the reason it stopped, though.

Would advice you to update all your apps through the AppBrain app. I do that once a week systematically, and that is also on my list of suspected mysterious solutions for issues I previously had.

Apologies for the incoherent response, but hope the suggestions help.

TL;DR:

1. Install AppBrain app and update all apps. This may help with random shutdowns and battery issues.

2. Install MySettings app and play around with the phone settings. This may help with battery issues.

3. If these dont work, try a factory reset after backing up your contacts onto your SIM, phone call logs and sms logs, if you need them.

4. Restart and start again.

Sans the SUCKY battery life (~6 hours OR 1% per minute) and the lack of FROYO OS update, this is a really really good phone.

Hope this helps.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 31, 2010 8:27:57 AM
(0)
Tutor

While I'm online,

My Captivate's internal SD memory says it has a max of 13.340 GB when the advertised was 16 GB. Is this rights or can I request ATT/Amazon/Samsung to replace or provide me with extra memory?

Does anyone else find this troubling or is the 16 gigs number simply the total usable memory?

Thanks.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 31, 2010 7:35:55 PM
(0)
Guru

nostraticispeak wrote:

While I'm online,

My Captivate's internal SD memory says it has a max of 13.340 GB when the advertised was 16 GB. Is this rights or can I request ATT/Amazon/Samsung to replace or provide me with extra memory?

Does anyone else find this troubling or is the 16 gigs number simply the total usable memory?

Thanks.

I don't know the specifics of the micro-SD cards, but this is very common with drives and storage media.  There are two main reasons for it.

First, the drive or card has to be formatted.  That is, the raw jumble of bits needs to be turned into a usable filesystem that the phone (or for a drive or removable card, a computer) can make sense of.  That formatting actually uses some data.  On a hardware level, the card holds 16GB, but not all of that is usable.

Second, there are two conflicting definitions of a GB.  By the SI definitions, 1 KB = 1000 bytes, 1 MB = 1000 KB, 1 GB = 1000 MB, 1 TB = 1000 GB, and so on.  Drive manufacturers (I don't know about SD card manufacturers) typically like to use these definitions.  However, historically, because computers work well with powers of 2, another set of definitions has been used: 1KB = 1024 bytes, 1 MB = 1024 KB, 1 GB = 1024 MB, and so on.  If the software in the phone is using this definition and the the number printed on the card uses the other one, then the numbers will be different.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 15, 2010 1:22:33 PM
(0)
Contributor

So I have had the Samsung Captivate for 5 days now and have noticed it is randomly shutting itself down.

Initially it was once or twice a day, but now has increased to MULTIPLE times a day (in the last 3 hours it has shut itself down 6 times).

The battery is fully charged (or atleast +70%), so this is not the problem.

I've read MANY users have been seeing this same problem, but have not been given answers to this problem.

Other forums...

(http://www.samsungcaptivateforum.com/samsung-captivate-how-to/random-shutdowns/)

(http://androidforums.com/captivate-support-troubleshooting/130114-phone-shutting-off-randomly.html)

If this problem is not resolved I'm going to have to return the phone. I almost missed my work meeting today because the phone was shut off and the alarm didn't sound!

Any help here??

-Malcolm

CAPTIVATE Shuts off randomly

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 15, 2010 7:29:32 PM
(0)
Guru

brownma, there are several things that have worked for various people with this issue, but no one-size-fits-all fix.  Most phones with the issue are most likely to power off when the phone is in power save mode with a fully charged battery, so some of the tricks rely on that.

Here are some of the things that have helped others:

1. Do a factory restore.  This will erase all your data, so make sure anything important is backed up.  If it works, this is a true fix and not merely a workaround.

2. Do a factory restore and don't re-download any marketplace apps.  Use the phone for a while (maybe a few days) in a clean state.  Then if you previously had any apps, re-download them one at a time, and use the phone in between each install.  If you start to have the problem again, remove the last app or two.  If it works, this is a true fix and not merely a workaround.

3. Use a task killer or task manager if you aren't using one, or don't use one if you are using it, or use one with different settings than what you're currently using.  Many people recommend Advanced Task Killer.  I prefer something like Watchdog that notifies me of misbehaving tasks and gives me the option of killing, rather than killing automatically.  If it works, this may be a true fix.

4. When you remove the phone from the charger, do something that drains the battery a bit.  This is not a fix.  It's a workaround that you can try until you can get the phone replaced.

5. Turn off power management so the phone never sleeps.  The phone will use much more battery power, but it may avoid powering off.  This is not a fix.  It's a workaround that you can try until you can get the phone replaced.

6. Use a market app called Captivate Keep Alive.  I don't know much about it, but from what little I've read I believe it turns off power management when the battery is full (and the phone most likely to turn off) and turns it back on when the battery is drained somewhat.  If that's correct, then it essentially gives the benefit of (5) but doesn't kill the battery life as much.  This is not a fix.  It's a workaround that you can try until you can get the phone replaced.

7. Replace the phone.  If you bought the phone 5 days ago, you still have time to try the potential fixes and still be within the 30-day retail exchange period.  Within that period, contact the retailer from which you obtained the phone.

I think that pretty much covers the options (aside from AT&T warranty or Samsung warranty after 30 days).  Does anyone want to fill in anything I missed?

Re: CAPTIVATE Shuts off randomly

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 21, 2010 6:56:56 PM
(0)
Tutor

I have not had a chance to have any of these problems. After just a week of owning the phone it started turning it's self off usually 3 to 4 times a day. After complaining several times I was sent a used phone even though I paid for a new one. Now that used one is turning off and Im having to go through the same hassle to get another phone shipped to me again. I have lost all of my ring tones and apps twice during their trouble shooting process.

Every time I have bought a phone from at&t I have had a problem with it and was sent a used phone in its place. I will never buy another phone from at&t and will be changing my service provider. AT&T does not seem to realize there is 2 sides to a contract. The provider has to provide the equipment and service that was promised when the contract was singed. I have not gotten either so AT&T broke my contract so they should be sending me a check for the early termination fee.  

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 22, 2010 8:15:59 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by mike32768 on Nov 22, 2010 at 8:21:40 AM

I have been suffering through many of the problems listed here

1) Frequent shutdowns. I (almost)always put my phone to sleep by using the power button before I put it down. Sometimes I put in my belt holder, sometimes on a desk.  Shutdowns occur either way.  I have not made a note of the phone being (close to) fully charged or not. I will keep an eye on the battery charge vs. shutdown issue more closely.

2) Phone is frequently quite "laggy". Pressing things (like the back or home or various screen icons) does nothing.  Thinking I "missed" the key(s) I press them again. Then phone eventually reacts to all the presses.  Ugh.

3) Had my phone plugged in to charge it the other day and it got really hot.  The charge indication after an hour did not seem reasonable (~39%) for the amount of time (just over an hour) it was plugged in but I suppose that it *could* be correct.

4) Not mentioned in the thread so far is this issue: I lose icons from the home pages regularly. I have a couple of free kiddie games apps and I've dragged them onto the last of the several "home" screens and some of them disappear everytime I power the phone down and back up (one is a Toy Story puzzle).

5) Another issue I have not seen: In my opinion, "backing" out of the browser should shut that app down (as it does for (all/most) other apps). It does not.  It's always "alive" when looked at in a "Task Manager" app.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 24, 2010 6:54:44 AM
(0)
Tutor

One thing I did notice is that the fraction of people experiencing 'real' problems (:like random shutdowns) is very low. I did have a ton of issues, but everything got sorted out through some Googling.

Having said this, I have recently become a strong advocate of rooting your phone, and if needed, installing any one of the dozen or so custom ROMs specifically designed for the Captivate. Let's say.... a friend did it, voiding his warranty, but getting incredible performance and agility in return.

Here's my logic:

1. AT&T and Samsung's support for the phone goes little beyond replacing your new phone with a used one and being annoyed that that didn't work,

2. Tech support at both companies, while reasonable, isn't nearly as good as the Android fanboys online (myself included).

3. There is a TON of support at forums like XDA and Reddit's Android page, staffed by people like me, who've experienced literally EVERY problem with the phone; and in most cases, have resolved them.

Be aware: If you root your phone, you will void your warranty.

Be also aware: You can Un-root your phone: all 'rooting' does (when you follow instructions on the forums) is it dumps a few files that gives you access to the phone's innards. (Linux users can relate to the 'sudo' command, or Superuser command: that power and security). My 'friend' took a month considering all of this before entering the dark side.

My friend was embarrased when he realized the extent of support the rooting community offers and at the possiblity of unrooting your phone if necessary at some point in the future (say you physically damage your phone and need to return it: rooting doesn't heal physical damage :smileywink:.)

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 3, 2010 3:27:06 AM
(0)
Tutor

so sometimes i get emails sometimes i dont. this phone sucks i cant wait until i can dump it

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 4, 2010 9:01:42 AM
(0)
Tutor

Check your Autosync settings. Most people haven't set that up properly.

I would download 'Quick Settings' app from the Android market to more easily access your phone's settings.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 17, 2010 9:02:58 AM
(0)
Contributor

You seem to know a lot about this phone. I just got a refurb and it powers off a few times a day without me touching it at all. I'm technologically dumb, so I don't know if this can be fixed or if I should return the phone. Any thoughts?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 18, 2010 9:35:03 AM
(0)
Tutor

Yeaaaaaah... that is a problem with some Android phones - mine had that issue a while ago, until it simply  disappeared. You could do two things:

1. Get the phone replaced and hope that the new one has no software glitches or bugs.

2. Download the app called "Captivate Keep Alive" from the Android Marketplace. It prevents your phone from shutting down when it goes below a certain battery level.

I would suggest #2 for now; if your new phone has the same issue, you are going try this method anyway. Set it up and have it running in the background (it does show an icon on the tray) and hopefully it will work for you. You may need to adjust the settings; it isn't intimidating at all. But I haven't used it for a while.

Eventually, the issue just goes away like an irritating tooth ache and you won't notice it, like it did for me.

Good luck!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 26, 2010 11:08:18 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by pamelaz on Dec 27, 2010 at 2:11:20 PM

Here is a semi-fix. This trick will prevent your phone from shutting down but will decrease battery life somewhat.

1. Download "Load Monitor"  from the Android Market.

2. Once installed, open the Load Monitor app.

3. Click on the Menu Button and Select Preferences.

4. Check the following Items:

• Add Notification
  • Auto Start
  • Wake Lock
  • Only screen on

5. Go to "Update interval" and select 5 Minutes.

6. Although the Auto-start assures the app runs everytime you reboot your phone, if it ever shuts off, start the app manually; though you should haven't to do this step too many times.

Load Monitor keeps your phone from shutting down by preventing suspend via wake lock setting and by actively monitoring your load, the phone is always doing something. The main reason these phones shut-off is due to the processor going into suspended mode whenever it is not being used much and then it shuts off once it hasn't been used long enough.  This trick worked for me, can't gurantee everyone but very good chance it will work.

[Removed 3rd party links]

Thanks!

Re: Samsung Captivate GPS Problems

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 26, 2010 5:21:50 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by pamelaz on Dec 27, 2010 at 2:12:33 PM

Whoa, after reading through all 9 pages of this Thread, we have a lot of users out there not happy with Captivate, just throw two more of them in the ring, that would be my Mrs and myself.

Bought two Captivates in November 2010, were happy for a while, then we start receiving a lot of "Force Stops". There really has not been a lot of help fom Samsung or at&t.

at&t did some software updates today about 1 hour ago, do not know what it did because in the middle of the update I got a "Force Stop" error, but the phone did boot in the root directory and restarted and said "update successful"

How many "resets" are required for the Captivate to work smoothly?

Just like the Froyo update, where is it, looks like most of the carriers have it except at&t.

[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].Consumer reports in November 2010 also had bad reviews about at&t as a wireless company. There needs to be a lemon law against wireless companys that would protect the end users with the warranty.

I have been with at&t for almost 10+ years, this is the first time I have gotten the run around. Most of the at&t supports techs have a book to read and simply have set standard answers for the most common issues. I do not blame them either.

It is at&t (The CEOs and the Big Wigs) that is letting down the customers that made the company.

Hopefully we will get Froyo when the world will be getting Gingerbread. Looks like we are not getting Froyo this Christmas because today is the day after Christmas.

Merry Christmas to all except at&t.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 27, 2010 9:58:12 AM
(0)
Contributor

This problem is unavoidable when a manufacturer (Samsung) introduces a product that hasn't been tested fully (Captivate) to make some quick bucks and rely on a third-party operation system (Android) to run the device.  It's the same scenario as a PC vs. MAC.  However, the culprit here is AT&T.  Fair of not, since AT&T brands the phone and provides the service, it has the ultimate responsibility to rectify any issues.  Stop collecting money and leave your frustrated customers hanging.  Come up with a software fix quick!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 27, 2010 12:37:53 PM
(0)
Guru

I have given up on any company/service provider to deliver updates/options in a timely manner I bought my Captivate specifically because of how easy it was to modify aside from a few minor hardware glitches GPS/shutdown(which happens rarely since I applied many of the workarounds) I would not trade my phone for anything it is not perfect(name 1 perfect phone) but from what I've seen that doesn't cost over $500 it is the absolute best phone for my needs ATM.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 27, 2010 12:46:58 PM
(0)
Contributor

Dear at&t employee, thank you for your opinion.

I got notifications of 3 replies to my post, I can see two them including yours but I cannot open the one from author Blackmanta. Your site gives me a "Access Denied"

Is at&t censoring the replies.it is weird. Wanted to know what author "blackmanta" wrote back.

hhmm, just wondering.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 27, 2010 2:01:51 PM
(0)
Guru

It could have been the poster posted something offensive/off topic and a mod deleted the post I personally have reported some posts that were nothing but flaming/spam.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 27, 2010 2:13:44 PM
(0)

cyrusmd wrote:

Is at&t censoring the replies.it is weird. Wanted to know what author "blackmanta" wrote back.

hhmm, just wondering.

The post was removed as it was blank.

Thanks!

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!