Posted Sep 8, 2012
9:39:56 AM
Samsung Captivate Glide Update PROBLEM!

Hello,

I updated my Captivate Glide to the Androd 4.0 version via the official ATT/Samsung directions found here: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/SupportOwnersFAQPopup.do?faq_id=FAQ00048593&fm_seq=53023

However, after I successfully updated my phone, I have noticed some weird bugs. First off (and the most major one), THE KEYBOARD DOESN'T LIGHT UP... That's a big bummer, does anyone know how to fix it? And also, the phone seems to lag at times when scrolling or just navigating web pages... That's just a minor issue though. But does anyone have a SOLUTION for the backligh on the keyboard not working? ATT/Samsung fix the problem please!!!!

Thanks

61 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(61)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 19, 2012 3:13:09 PM
(0)
Voyager

Does AT&T support monitor these threads?   I don't understand why there isn't a reply on what is being done to fix this, and when.   My wife just got this phone a week before the "upgrade" (ha) and is already ready to toss it.

Re: Samsung Captivate Glide Update PROBLEM!

31 of 62 (6,551 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 19, 2012 3:30:20 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by Mikey246 on Sep 19, 2012 at 3:30:54 PM

kamarsh wrote:

Does AT&T support monitor these threads?   I don't understand why there isn't a reply on what is being done to fix this, and when.   My wife just got this phone a week before the "upgrade" (ha) and is already ready to toss it.

No, this forum is for customers to help other customers. As far as I know, this isn't meant to be an official support channel.

[ Edited ]
32 of 62 (6,545 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 19, 2012 3:55:16 PM
(0)
Mentor

According to my son (a symantec employee and social media tech) any responsible company would be paying attention, especially to a forum which is hosted on their website. I guess we know how ATT views their customers. :-(
Although, I think this is a samsung problem as well...

33 of 62 (6,542 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 19, 2012 6:50:55 PM
(0)
Tutor
it will prob be fixed soon

34 of 62 (6,529 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 20, 2012 5:32:33 AM
(0)
Scholar
Ah, the beauty of the oligopoly. AT&T doesn't need to care about its customers! For every annoyed customer who leaves, there's an annoyed Verizon/Sprint/TMobile customer who arrives. That's also why the prices never come down....

35 of 62 (6,502 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 20, 2012 12:21:06 PM
(0)
Mentor

Interesting to note-
the link to the ICS update now says: "The update for the Samsung Captivate Glide has been put on hold while Samsung works to optimize the update for our users."
So, they're working on it--I hope we'll get relief soon!!! (Have more hope in Samsung than ATT)

36 of 62 (6,482 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 20, 2012 2:31:41 PM
(0)
Tutor
also incomming texts dont scroll across the top anymore when in your lock screen

37 of 62 (6,472 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2012 8:19:35 AM
(0)
Contributor
This is an official fix from XDA. It worked flawlessly on my Captivate Glide ICS 4.0.4
-Keyboard illuminates
-eliminated error messages also
I rooted my phone with SU 3.2 RC3 first, then applied the fix.

38 of 62 (6,347 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 24, 2012 7:58:53 PM
(0)
Tutor
itsnt it sad that our phones can barely make or recieve calls anymore?

39 of 62 (6,243 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 24, 2012 8:14:29 PM
(0)
Mentor

I have no problems with calls or texting, or really anything vital. I occasionally get multiple texts, and the keyboard doesn't light up.

If you are having phone problems, you NEED to do a factory reset. Back up everything then do it!!! All other problems disappeared when I did this (yes-it was a pain in the butt, but solved soooooo many initial problems.)

40 of 62 (6,242 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 27, 2012 6:51:02 AM
(0)
Tutor
How do i back up everything? Then the factory reset is done how?

41 of 62 (6,096 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 15, 2012 9:08:01 PM
(0)
Tutor

This is the chat info I got with a Samsung tech support operator about getting Gingerbread back on my phone... Just FYI

Suzanne: I am sorry for the inconvenience. I will be happy to help.

Suzanne: As most of the users after updating the device are experiencing multiple issues, in this case please contact any near by AT&T store and get the device re flashed to Android 2.3.

Visitor: So I have to go to AT&T store to fix this? Will they fix it? I don't want them saying "No,. you have to contact samsung"

Suzanne: Yes, they will re flash the device firmware back to Android 2.3.

42 of 62 (5,671 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 8, 2012 9:38:37 AM
(0)
Scholar

Just received a update on my phone that fixes the keyboard light  :smileyhappy:

43 of 62 (5,244 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 8, 2012 11:37:43 AM
(0)
Mentor

How and from whom???? Did it come to your phone? A link? Expound please!

44 of 62 (5,238 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 8, 2012 6:13:49 PM
(0)
Scholar

it came to my phone from at&t

45 of 62 (5,202 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 8, 2012 6:25:06 PM
(0)
Mentor

Thanks! I guess I'll play the waiting game....(but all the duplicate texts--sometimes over 100, may have me flashing back to gingerbread soon)

46 of 62 (5,200 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 10, 2012 7:13:25 PM
(0)
Mentor

Emailed support about the update and got the following response:

Effective November 8, 2012, a software update for the Samsung Captivate Glide is available to AT&T customers, via cellular or Wi-Fi, who previously upgraded to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) (OS 4.04, Baseband version: I927UCLH2).

Included in Update:

• Fixes the backlight of the physical keyboard that resulted from ICS, Baseband version: I927UCLH2.

o The update was only available from September 7, 2012, through September 12, 2012, and was accepted by a limited number of customers.

o Currently when the physical (QWERTY) keyboard is opened, the backlight may not illuminate for customers who downloaded that version of ICS. This update corrects it.

• Google applications such as Gmail, Maps, Play, Books, etc., may be updated to the current versions.

Please follow the steps below to download the update:

1. Tap Menu (or the Applications icon from the Home Screen).

2. Tap Settings.

3. Tap Software Update.

4. Tap Check for Updates.

5. Message Displays: The software update process does not delete any personal data on your phone. Check the AT&T server for new software update?

6. Tap OK.

o The download for the software update will begin in a moment. The software download may take several minutes.

7. Message Displays: A new software update from AT&T is available for your device. This software update will take several minutes and will not delete any personal data on your device. All services (including emergency calls) will be suspended during the install.

8. Tap Continue.

o The device automatically restarts once the new software has successfully downloaded.

o Status Message: Update complete. The software has been successfully installed. Your device is now ready to use.

Although the instructions on how to get to the software update page was not accurate, at least for me, I am currently attempting to update. I am getting the message that an update is available, but the servers are busy, but my phone will keep trying until successful. I hope this is helpful to others!

47 of 62 (5,085 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2012 9:14:07 PM
(0)
Contributor

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE ADVISE!!! THIS WORKED!!!

ress the lock/power button and the home screen button at the same time. You just have to press and hold both buttons. It takes about 2 seconds now, as it used to be almost instant.

GREAT ADVISE 

48 of 62 (4,897 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 8, 2012 11:00:32 AM
(0)
Contributor

So unfortunately I fell for the ICS update as well.

I have no problems with the phone other than the phone telling me the battery is "critically low" and shuts down at random itervals. This is regardless of how much charge the battery actually has. This typically happens at about 60% battery level left. The second I plug the phone into a charger, the phone will turn back on.

Things I've tried to fix this: factory resetting twice, clearing the cache partition twice, and re-installing ICS once....to no avail.

Did anyone else have this problem and know how to fix it?

Thanks in advance

49 of 62 (4,587 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 19, 2012 11:26:40 PM
(0)
Contributor
I am wondering if it is now safe to try to update my OS. I have read through the comments in this section and am still unsure if I should try it on my captivate glide. Is there a way to back up the data on my phone (and games) before I try it? I know it says it won't hurt our personal data, but I'm cautious. I've seen the iOS updates brick hubby's phone more than once.

50 of 62 (4,335 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 20, 2012 8:35:59 AM
(0)
Scholar

Let me warn you now, like I wish I had been warned before I upgraded my Galaxy S2.  I didn't lose anything on the upgrade from 2.3.6 to 4.0.3, at least not the first time.  But my upgrade fixed a few issues and created a few others.  Basically, I didn't feel I got much from the effort, despite my initial high interest/expectations.  What I finally did was opt to go to an AT&T "Device Store" (not the usual store, and 25 miles away) to to a full wipe and reinstall of 4.0.3.  Now, in advance of doing that, I used "My Backup" from rerware.com to backup all my stuff.  Or so I thought.  Here's the part I missed:  Unless you root your phone, it WON'T BACKUP app *DATA* for most apps!!!!!  It works only for "supported" 3rd party apps, which didn't cover enough.

You can also try donation-ware MyPhoneExplorer, which I use to sync my calendar/contacts/todo with Outlook.  (I don't like to sync things with Google.)  It also claims to have a backup capability.  I've started using it recently and it LOOKS LIKE it's getting pretty much all the folder structure to include 3rd party folders, but I have not yet tried to restore anything, so I cannot vouch for it for that purpose.

In any event, I'd suggest you spend an hour thinking carefully about every app that has data you value.  Be sure you know its status, so far as your backup is concerned.  I believe it will be time well spent and will save you frustration later.

51 of 62 (4,319 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 20, 2012 12:42:18 PM
(0)
Mentor

Thank you for this!

This is exactly what has been suggested to me--to go to a ATT store 30 miles away to do the exact same thing. Were all the problems fixed? The data in the 3rd party apps is something I have been concerned about. I also have the rerware backup software, which I used when I upgraded the last time and had to reset. I seem to recall it worked fine, but I guess I will have to re-download the app before I can re-install data? I'm not really literate in a lot of these functions, but am getting tired of these issues and haven't yet done this because I don't have the time or patience right now to deal with it (or the brain power...)

I do have family coming for Christmas who have offered to root the phone, and flash it back to gingerbread, as per instructions on XDA developers. But same family member also told me about the ATT repair center option. Oh, what to do????

52 of 62 (4,311 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 23, 2012 7:22:20 AM
(0)
Contributor

I'm having the same problem, but it doesn't matter what level my battery is at.  Took it off the charger this morning, opened my internet browser, and within 30 seconds it told me battery critically low...shut down, plugged it back in and it had 97% battery.  It's happened at all sorts of random times.

53 of 62 (4,224 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 25, 2012 12:59:06 PM
(0)
Mentor

Welp-did another factory reset and most problems seem to be gone. (Still can't screen capture however.) I guess the moral to the story is, whenever there is a software update, even if it is just a "fix" to a previous version,  do a factory reset. Lost data from 1 app--which I won't lose again, because I purchased the full version which has a good backup now. Got a Galaxy Tab for Christmas, so I won't be bailing for an iphone anytime soon...

54 of 62 (4,174 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 27, 2012 6:42:26 AM
(0)
Scholar

Be sure about your data backup, even with the "Pro" version you purchased.  I'm still not sure it can back up all your 3rd party apps unless you've rooted it.  I just suggest you double-check.

As for my Galaxy S2, most of my problems went away after the service center wiped and reloaded 4.0.3.  But I had the 4.0.4 version thrust upon me a few days ago and my initial impression is that my battery life is worse than before.

I've also experienced one "sleep of death" where the phone won't come out of sleep and I had to pull the battery.  But I had that occasionally under 4.0.3 as well.

55 of 62 (4,111 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 27, 2012 10:27:53 AM
(0)
Mentor

Unfortunately, Samsung has a long way to go to compete with Apple as far as customer service. Everyone I know with an iphone has had excellent help with customer service--I've been told their genius bar is 2nd to none. 10 out of 11 people in my immediate family are iphone users--I just had to be different...

56 of 62 (4,104 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2013 9:51:13 AM
(0)
Voyager

I just got a Captivate Glide a couple of weeks ago and am trying to decide whether to keep it. I did the 4.0 update and am seeing some of the same problems. I only have until Wed. to make the decision. I love the slideout keyboard, but maybe I should get the Motorola ATRX instead. Any suggestions?

57 of 62 (3,845 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2013 1:14:56 PM
(0)
Mentor

I still love the glide--but would have advised you NOT to update. No problems until the update.
I still get multiple texts and am planning on visiting an ATT repair center this weekend to get a "clean" install and reset. Screen capture still doesn't work. But I still don't think I would switch to another phone--I really like the keyboard. Hopefully the clean install will take care of the problems I have.
Can't really advise you on what you should do however...

58 of 62 (3,839 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 15, 2013 12:41:07 PM
(0)
Voyager
I did the update and now my email will not refresh every 15 minutes like set. Also it will not give me any notification when there is mail, on the home screen or sound. Sometimes I'll get 4 or 5 text messages of the same message. My wife has the same phone with the update and hers is fine. Would the factory reset fix this? Does the factory reset wipe everything out? Never had to do this before?
Thanks

59 of 62 (3,499 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 15, 2013 12:57:18 PM
(0)
Mentor

I would suggest first to reset it yourself. I did go to an ATT repair center, it didn't fix the problem. I did lose some data from 3rd party apps, but mostly my fault because I didn't back up properly.
Here is a good thread about the problem I had:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2018299
I installed the wake_lock app and the major problem is solved. It's a shame that a 3rd party app is used to fix a problem Samsung should be able to fix.

60 of 62 (3,496 Views)