Posted Jan 16, 2012
8:57:31 AM
View profile
Samsung Captivate 2.3.5 (Gingerbread) and Freezes

Ever since I upgraded to Gingerbread (2.3.5), I have had the phone lock up periodically where the only remedy is to remove the battery. Yesterday, I took a picture and was trying to send the picture as an SMS and the phone frooze. 

I have also been using other applications, and the phone freezes.

I did have the issue before with Froyo (2.2), but not as oftern. The phone is not one that ATT said was "defective" with the shutdown issue.

Anyone else have the issue?

Samsung Captivate 2.3.5 (Gingerbread) and Freezes

30 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(30)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2012 4:22:41 PM
(0)
Contributor

yes, i'm having the same exact issue on my captivate. it has actually frozen at least once a day since ive updated. It requires a battery pull as well as the sim card. then once i put them back in and turn the phone back on it sits at the booting screen for what seems like an eternity. The GPS feature no longer seems to work either. 

Re: Samsung Captivate 2.3.5 (Gingerbread) and Freezes

2 of 31 (27,550 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2012 6:30:54 PM
(0)
Mentor

Exact same issue. Freeze, battery pull (sim is not pulled) and it does take a long time come up. The boot process must be doing something different on a cold boot. Does not happen every day, but maybe every two or three days.

GPS is bad , but it was bad before.

Not sure how ATT/Samsung can continue to sell the phone. Well I can, because they dont really care about the few that do upgrade....

I would think that Samsung/ATT would do beta program when they release a new OS so some of the bugs could be weeded out. I also had a tethering force close after the upgrade and did a factory reset to fix that.

3 of 31 (27,533 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2012 7:42:30 PM
(0)
Tutor

I get the tethering manager force close also. The upside to this is that this seems to be the app that AT&T uses to defeat the native Android tethering. After the tethering manager force closes I'm able to enable access point mode.

4 of 31 (27,458 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2012 5:48:03 AM
(0)
Professor

Same issue here. The phone freezes at least once a day. I'll wake it up to the patern unlock, but it doesn't respond to anything. I don't know if it means anything, but I have noticed that the GPS icon is flashing when it's in this state.

Since I haven't reinstalled everything since upgrading I may just wipe it to see if it helps.

Just an FYI, you don't need to pull the battery to restart. Hold down the power and volume up buttons for about 10 seconds and the phone will restart.

5 of 31 (27,434 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2012 8:39:45 AM
(0)
Contributor

I updated to 2.2 and thought it was worse than 2.1: alarm settings are weird, deleting pictures in Gallery will freeze phone everytime.

No that I see the above - 2.3 is even worse.

What's up Samsung, AT&T and Google? I'll help you market the product - 10 of my friends will know about how wonderful it is.

Nice work!!! Keep it up and you'll be like Nokia in no time!!!

iPhone it is!!!

6 of 31 (27,413 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2012 11:40:29 AM
(0)
Scholar

Did anyone do a factory reset prior to the 2.3 update both before updating and after? From what I've seen this update when applied over 2.2 has issues.

7 of 31 (27,389 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2012 12:03:23 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by billd104 on Jan 18, 2012 at 12:07:37 PM

I have not had any issues with the GPS on my Captivate since I made these modifications to it.

From the phone dialer enter the SSD code of *#*#3214789650#*#* to enter LBSTestMode.

LBSTESTMODE1.png

Choose Settings>SUPL Settings

LBSTESTMODE2.png

Change Server FQDN Type from "Custom Config" to "Auto Config" & change SUPL Secure Socket to "Off"

Hit back capacitive button and choose "General Settings"

LBSTESTMODE3.png

Change Operation Mode to "MS Assisted" Change GPS Logging to "OFF" & Change Accuracy to "30"

Using Tracking Test INSIDE MY OFFICE I get the following results.

LBSTESTMODE4.png

[ Edited ]
8 of 31 (27,385 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 29, 2012 9:16:35 AM
(0)
Scholar
This method doesn't work on my Captivate (running Gingerbread 2.3.5, kernel version 2.6.36.7-I897UCKK4-CL614489). When I dial in the numbers you show above in your post, I get a momentary glimpse of the "Angry GPS" title bar, then it takes me to the standard Wireless and GPS settings. Might this be a SIM-related issue (in other words, with the SIM card installed, no service code settings are permitted)?

9 of 31 (26,997 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 30, 2012 8:08:41 AM
(0)
Professor

dan1701a wrote:
This method doesn't work on my Captivate (running Gingerbread 2.3.5, kernel version 2.6.36.7-I897UCKK4-CL614489). When I dial in the numbers you show above in your post, I get a momentary glimpse of the "Angry GPS" title bar, then it takes me to the standard Wireless and GPS settings. Might this be a SIM-related issue (in other words, with the SIM card installed, no service code settings are permitted)?

Do you have GPS turned off? I did, and got the same results as you, but when I enabled "Use GPS satellites" and hit the back button, it took me to the AngryGPS screen.

10 of 31 (26,957 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 30, 2012 5:38:41 PM
(0)
Scholar
Yup, that's what did it. Now it works. Amazing - I wound up with seven satellites and accuracy to within 15 meters. Inside my house, no less.

11 of 31 (25,436 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 1, 2012 6:32:21 AM
(0)
Contributor

Thanks @Max69, that did the trick for me. 

Workaround is doing well for me as well, thanks to all the posters.  One more happy Cappy. :smileyhappy:

12 of 31 (25,398 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 1, 2012 7:40:37 AM
(0)
Contributor

I spoke with Samsung on this issue and they recommended a factory reset. I backed up up all of my data, and performed the reset. My Captivate is a lot faster and seems to be less glitchy. The only glitch ive been having is when im sending a text the keyboard actually disappears and will sometimes force close. Samsung did provide me with a support  number which i have yet to call and that number is 1-877-EZ2GALAXY (1-877-392-4252). They are available 24/7.  Hope this helps for anyone that is having the same issues. 

13 of 31 (25,391 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 1, 2012 12:04:43 PM
(0)
Tutor

The phone may have a virus or if you haven't replaced your sim card for a long time.  With the 2.3.5 Update i had the same problem with both of my captivates. The remedy is doing a master reset on the phone. Menu> settings> privacy> then choose factory data reset. this will reset the phone to factory default but will not remove the new update. To retain my info i used an app called Android sync manager wifi agent. Make sure your somewhere that has wifi that your phone and computer can connect to with full access. If you are having trouble. All the mcdonalds and starbucks have wifi that is free bcus att pays them to provide it. Then go to the app and choose help. This will tell you what website to go to to connect the devices. it will download the desktop manager automatically. Then open the manager and choose file> Backup. Once they are finished do the master reset. The phone will reboot by itself. Then sign into gmail on the device when it asks you to sign in or create one. then android market and go to my apps. it can be found in the menu page when in the market. find the android sync manager and redownload anf open. When the phone says connected go back to file and choose restore. Everything That was on the phone will be back and the freezing issue will stop. The new update becomes a benefit to the device and helps with speed and battery life. Also you can try the Mt anti virus auto kill app. It will closed unused apps for you and also save battery and improve the speed and performance of games and apps. I hope this helps.

14 of 31 (25,378 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 2, 2012 2:25:56 PM
(0)
Contributor

I've had similar issues (tethering bug), except my wifi has not worked since after the upgrade. I try to turn wifi on, and it tries to search for signals, then turns off (all of 20-30 seconds).

anyone have a similar issue, and/or know how to fix?

15 of 31 (25,309 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2012 8:33:29 PM
(0)
Contributor

Thank you so much for posting this!  Finally the GPS on my Captivate works and in my house, no less.  After reading that GB improved the GPS function and then didn't, I was ready to give up on this phone.  I may just keep it a while longer now.

16 of 31 (25,185 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 11, 2012 8:39:04 PM
(0)
Contributor

While it's well and good that I get a temporary lock, it is just that and does not carry over to navigation software to be of any meaningful use. For me, gps is unusable. It is far to inconsistent. I have made a myriad of adjustments over time in the past year and had high hopes transitioning through os upgrades, but there is really no usable gps, at least not for any length of time greater than a few minutes.

17 of 31 (24,746 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 15, 2012 10:12:09 AM
(0)
Teacher

Yeah, while it fixes it somewhat, the GPS is still inconsistent and inaccurate because the problem is a hardware issue with the Captivate.  No amount of software tweaks will make it 100%.

18 of 31 (24,574 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 15, 2012 3:27:25 PM
(0)
Contributor

I'm going to try a master reset to get rid of the tether manager freeze issue but, wanted to reply to the GPS issue.  Samsumg put an app in the market, "GPS Restore Samsung" that fixed the issue for me.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.sec.samsung.GpsRestore&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMS...

Not sure why Att and Samsung didn't message users about this application when it came out.  Helpful to have and you don't have to press all those numbers and settings and such.

19 of 31 (24,556 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 17, 2012 1:17:32 PM
(0)
Contributor

I had the same issue, so I did a factory reset. No tethering issue msgs. 

After upgrading, I'm encountering like a ghost image-like when I swipe from left to right, right to left. When I quickly scroll through emails now, I get this blank screen-like squares until the scroll stops.  It's annoying.  I was thinking if this was a battery issue because I haven't yet changed the battery.  Anyone else having this type of issue?

20 of 31 (24,457 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 30, 2012 9:40:32 AM
(0)
Contributor

Anybody come up with a good fix for this issue?  Ever since the upgrade to Gingerbread, my screen goes black in a call and I have no way to recover from the black screen other than waiting for the other person to hang up or to pull out my battery. I can't get the keypad to come up to hang up.

Frustrated...

worldbound4now

21 of 31 (23,484 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 3, 2012 7:33:19 AM
(0)
Contributor

I tried the factor reset and everything works fine after that.  no more tethering force close and so far no freezing and automatic closing of messages or contacts.

22 of 31 (23,389 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 9, 2012 1:11:32 PM
(0)
Contributor
Thanks, worked great, but now GPS on all the time unless manually turned off. Did one of these changes override apps ability to turn off gps?

23 of 31 (23,259 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 14, 2012 11:49:07 PM
(0)
Contributor

And I thought it was just me...

24 of 31 (21,853 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 22, 2012 1:31:11 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Voliam on May 22, 2012 at 1:33:00 PM

Thanks to you for offering this info, I fixed the freezing and GPS issues!

[ Edited ]
25 of 31 (21,492 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 22, 2012 1:33:32 PM
(0)
Tutor
Have you tried pushing the power button momentarily? That should light up the display while in a call.

26 of 31 (21,490 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 22, 2012 6:59:36 PM
(0)
Mentor

Anybody come up with a good fix for this issue?  Ever since the upgrade to Gingerbread, my screen goes black in a call and I have no way to recover from the black screen other than waiting for the other person to hang up or to pull out my battery. I can't get the keypad to come up to hang up.

Frustrated...

worldbound4now

----------------------------------------

Instead of the power button the volume button might also work. It blacks out to save battery life, similiar to a computer screen saver. You can always go to the phone setting and changing the backlight setting. Set up a wallpaper background http://www.att.com/learningcenter/tutorials.do?tutorialId=883520#fbid=tUzJkiz3XME

27 of 31 (21,468 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 22, 2012 9:34:43 PM
(0)
Voyager
I have also had the more frequent freezes after updating to Gingerbread. It freezes two to four times a day. I have also noticed apps actually closing, or kinda reseting themselves on me, like my messaging for instance. I would go to reply to a message, start to type and my keyboard will just disappear and the app will return to my conversation list. Also, my dialer. When I enter a number to call..... As soon as I hit send, the app will close.... causing me to redial. I'm sure you can understand how much of a pain in the yang this is. Can anyone help?

28 of 31 (15,378 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 23, 2012 6:53:21 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

BigRossTheHoss wrote:
I have also had the more frequent freezes after updating to Gingerbread. It freezes two to four times a day. I have also noticed apps actually closing, or kinda reseting themselves on me, like my messaging for instance. I would go to reply to a message, start to type and my keyboard will just disappear and the app will return to my conversation list. Also, my dialer. When I enter a number to call..... As soon as I hit send, the app will close.... causing me to redial. I'm sure you can understand how much of a pain in the yang this is. Can anyone help?

Have your tried a factory reset (back up your personal data first)? 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

29 of 31 (15,328 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 2, 2013 6:44:32 PM
(0)
Contributor

Thanks, linebackerkevyn!  You've fixed my problem!  I purchased my Samsung Captivate in December, 2012, new, from eBay.  I love the phone, but in the last couple of months, it had started freezing up once or twice a day.  To fix it, I'd take the battery out for 30 seconds, replace, restart.  That worked until the next freeze up.  Needless to say, since I purchased it off eBay, there's no warranty.

I did a general search for answers to my problem, and read your post.  I decided to give it a try, following your exact directions -- it worked perfectly!  It's now been two weeks, and my phone works great!

A big thanks from me! :smileyhappy:

30 of 31 (9,394 Views)