Posted Aug 1, 2012
12:38:41 PM
Request for Google Wallet

AT&T please allow google wallet to install on our phones. I have a Galaxy S2 i777 which I bought hoping that I'd be able to someday use the NFC chip. Google just made their wallet app awesome today. From my understanding AT&T is the only reason that I can't install it.

They call it death by a thousand paper cuts. This isn't the reason, but it's added to a list of many that I'll be shopping for new carriers when my contract is up if you don't start changing you policies.

Request for Google Wallet

55 replies
(3) Me too
(3) Me too
Replies
(55)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 1, 2012 1:05:41 PM
(0)
Teacher

Yes, I would like to be able to use Google Wallet on my i777 as well.   Please enable it.

Re: Request for Google Wallet

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 1, 2012 1:30:23 PM
(0)
Professor

AGREED! We should have a choice since the AT&T supposed pay app is taking way too long. Make it available for the Galaxy S3

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 1, 2012 2:00:41 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Add me to the chorus of those who wish to use Google Wallet on AT&T devices!

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 1, 2012 2:29:45 PM
(0)
Scholar

smooth4lyfe wrote:

AGREED! We should have a choice since the AT&T supposed pay app is taking way too long. Make it available for the Galaxy S3

Even if AT&T's pay app ever comes out, we should still have a choice of which pay app to use. I pay AT&T to connect me to the internet and phone networks. That shouldn't force us to let them in our wallets as well.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 1, 2012 3:46:54 PM
(0)
Professor

hertzsae wrote:

smooth4lyfe wrote:

Even if AT&T's pay app ever comes out, we should still have a choice of which pay app to use. I pay AT&T to connect me to the internet and phone networks. That shouldn't force us to let them in our wallets as well.

Yes I agree!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 1, 2012 7:37:58 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by ShaunMN on Aug 1, 2012 at 7:44:17 PM

To be honest what at&t is doing (and any of these carriers for that matter) in blocking Google Wallet is anticompetitive [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 1, 2012 8:47:45 PM
(0)
Teacher

Use of this feature shouldn't require warranty breaking hacks or running ROMs that support it.  Not all users are capable of figuring out how to do it, and it provides unnecessary headaches for those that do.

There is no legitimate reason to not allow Google Wallet to run on our devices.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 2, 2012 9:47:06 AM
(0)
Tutor

Signed.  I cannot think of a single reason to block the app except anticompetitiveness since they are afraid that everyone will use GW instead of their own baby ISIS.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 3, 2012 4:15:06 PM
(0)
Teacher
Google wallet will never work on the sgs2,note,or skyrocket..

Google wallet requires a secure element which none of the phones have... It's a chip in the phone that Google wallet needs to work... If you get Google wallet installed, it won't work and will just give you an error..

Our only options are 1) upgrade to the s3. Root the phone and modify a few files.. 2)wait for isis or 3) wait for secured element Sims to be sold and hope somebody modifies Google wallet to use the sim.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 4, 2012 8:22:17 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by Phil-101 on Aug 4, 2012 at 9:57:07 AM

The phone carriers should not be allowed to dictate what we can and can't use on our phones.

[Per Guidelines: Keep it Relevant and Appropriate]

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 6, 2012 9:16:52 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by hertzsae on Aug 6, 2012 at 9:17:26 AM

I was under the impression

realized wrote:
Google wallet will never work on the sgs2,note,or skyrocket..

Google wallet requires a secure element which none of the phones have... It's a chip in the phone that Google wallet needs to work... If you get Google wallet installed, it won't work and will just give you an error..

Our only options are 1) upgrade to the s3. Root the phone and modify a few files.. 2)wait for isis or 3) wait for secured element Sims to be sold and hope somebody modifies Google wallet to use the sim.

I was under the impression that the latest google wallet update moved the secure elements to the cloud. It could be that they still need the secure elements chip.

I would accept it if my phone is not compatible due to a real technical issue like that. That's a problem I can fix with a new phone. What I'm not fine with is the fact that the AT&T will not allow phones with the required hardware to run Google Wallet.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 7, 2012 9:11:14 PM
(0)
Tutor
I wannt google wallet! Will switch to sprint if att doesnt stop dictating

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 8, 2012 3:30:21 AM
(0)
Mentor

I'll paraphrase what I learned on Xda-Developers: the new Google Wallet sotres a single, virtual credit card number in the secure element, and that card number is proxied to one of your real card numbers in the cloud.  It was a way for google Wallet to support multiple credit cards, but it still requires the secure element.

So, we're still stuck.  Doesn't at&t realize Google Wallet is one of the hopes I had when I bought this phone from them?!

Latest Google Wallet still requires Secure Element

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 8, 2012 1:54:27 PM
(0)
Scholar

Thanks for that info Trinition. I won't expect it to ever work on my S2 then. I've been a mostly happy customer for a long time.

Free tethering (I should not have to pay twice for my data) and google wallet are the two features that I will be looking for on my next phone. Let's hope that I don't have to switch carriers to achieve it.

Re: Latest Google Wallet still requires Secure Element

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 8, 2012 3:38:20 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Mobile Share will allow you to tether with the data that you already have.  As far as using Google Wallet on AT&T, you may be limited to the Galaxy Nexus for now.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 9, 2012 7:35:43 AM
(0)
Scholar

21stNow wrote:

Mobile Share will allow you to tether with the data that you already have.  As far as using Google Wallet on AT&T, you may be limited to the Galaxy Nexus for now.

Mobile share would also significantly raise my bill. $110/month for using slightly more than 1GB a month through a single phone does not sound like a good deal to me. If I pay for 2GB a month (non mobile share), then I should get to use that tethered or not.

Verizon customers are fortunate due to the fact that their carrier is beholden to extra rules that protect the customers:

http://gigaom.com/mobile/fcc-tells-verizon-you-cant-block-tethering-apps-verizon-settles-for-1-25m/

http://www.fcc.gov/document/verizon-wireless-pay-125-million-settle-investigation

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 9, 2012 7:57:40 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Tethering is also included in the 5GB data plan that AT&T has now.

While VZW customers may be able to tether, I hardly consider us (since I have an account there, too) fortunate.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 9, 2012 8:07:49 AM
(0)
Scholar
Yes it is available on the 5GB plan, but that's also an extra $20/month ($240/yr or $480/contract length) that I don't need to spend for data that I'm already buying.

If we're not vocal, it's not going to change.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 12, 2012 9:56:39 AM
(0)
Teacher
Bought SGS3 to use Google Wallet but looks like is not allowed by AT&T. So lame...

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 13, 2012 7:22:10 AM
(0)
Guru

I don't know about the GS3, but on I777 it's starting to look like a fundamental technical limitation of the phone.

To my knowledge, Google Wallet is not running on any I9100P device either.  The "P" is an I9100 variant with NFC added - the I777 is almost identical to the P except for the touchkeys and call audio configuration.

However I'm disappointed that AT&T has been outright removing NFC from their I777 releases even though it DOES have uses other than GW.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 17, 2012 6:09:08 AM
(0)
Tutor

YES YES YES!!!  I've never HEARD of such a thing.  Blocking an app... FORCING us to use your product.  Who knows?  I may like your product better!  But the least you can do is give me the friggin' choice!  This is America!  I thought we were better than that.  AT&T you can't fathom how irate I am with you right now.  I switced from the iPhone to Samsung Galaxy S3 and the ONLY reason I did so was to use the Google Wallet app with the NFC capablity.  IT'S A GOOGLE PHONE for Android's sake!!!  How are you going to block a Google Product?!  That's like someone buying an iPhone and you blocking the use of FaceTime... Oh... Wait... :^/ you did that too.  We need freedom of choice here AT&T!!!  If you don't fix this you better believe when my contract expires so will my LONG STANDING relationship with AT&T.  I've been a loyal customer for well over a decade... Sad that you are going to lose so many customers over this single issue.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 17, 2012 9:43:48 AM
(0)
Scholar

JacKalGQ wrote:

YES YES YES!!!  I've never HEARD of such a thing.  Blocking an app... FORCING us to use your product.  Who knows?  I may like your product better!  ...

Even worse is that Isis has been delayed, so they don't even have a product to force us to use.

http://gigaom.com/2012/09/13/isis-delays-launch-of-payment-system-no-date-announced/

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 28, 2012 8:59:00 AM
(0)
Tutor

Add my voice to the call for Google wallet on supported devices. I bought my Galaxy S3 because one of the main features I wanted was Google Wallet. Come to find out the only way I can use it is to spend hours hacking my phone because AT&T wants more of my money. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 28, 2012 9:28:15 AM
(0)
Teacher

I would really like Google Wallet. Why is it available for Verizon and Sprint but not AT&T? Please give me a time frame if and when this could happen. Thanks

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 28, 2012 9:29:53 AM
(0)
Teacher

I so 100% agree with you. Totally insane.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 28, 2012 9:40:49 AM
(0)
Teacher

Agree with you on every level. At&t will lose customers just because on blocking? I really bought my samsung Galaxy S3 for the same reason.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 24, 2012 6:23:09 PM
(0)
Scholar

If you want ISIS to compete with Wallet - fine - but don't lock out users form having choices!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 26, 2012 2:00:02 PM
(0)
Mentor

Count me in too! I want Google Wallet on my new Galaxy Note 2

And please enable MultiView on that deveice too!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 27, 2012 9:39:41 AM
(0)
Tutor