Posted Dec 5, 2012
6:56:30 PM
No Mobile Data Toggle After GS3 Jelly Bean Update

I love my GS3, but am disappointed after receiving the much awaited Jelly Bean update for my for my GS3.  WHY DID THE UPDATE NOT INCLUDE THE MOBILE DATA ON/OFF TOGGLE BUTTON?  Since I can no longer get an unlimited data plan, I am dependent upon the mobile data on/off toggle button in the swipe down settings to limit my data usage. I don't understand why ATT GS3s with Jelly Bean don't get the mobile data toggle button, while Sprint GS3s with Jelly Bean still have the mobile data toggle button that was present in Ice Cream Sandwich.   Please tell me this was an honest mistake by ATT and not a deliberate omission.  I have been an ATT customer for over 10 years and have been happy with the service so far.  Hopefully, you can fix the issue with a soon to be released update.  Thank you for your time.

PLEASE RETURN THE MOBILE DATA TOGGLE BUTTON!!!! ADD IT TO GS3 JELLY BEAN!!!

No Mobile Data Toggle After GS3 Jelly Bean Update

17 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(17)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 6, 2012 3:41:10 PM
(0)
Tutor
I agree, I am very frustrated by the fact that they got rid of the quick toggle in the swipe down settings. This really bothers me.

Re: No Mobile Data Toggle After GS3 Jelly Bean Update

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 6, 2012 5:32:12 PM
(0)
Tutor

Yes, agreed that this is a toggle that is much needed on the main swipe down. Please at&t, bring it back.

I wander if the lost of this toggle is also on the other network's version of Jelly Bean updates for the S3.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 6, 2012 7:13:18 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

I use the Widgetsoid widget on other phones.  This widget has an option for a mobile network toggle.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 6, 2012 11:29:02 PM
(0)
Tutor

I couldn't find that in T-mobile S3 which my friend uses. I just found an app called Notification Toggle which will add a row of new icons right on your Notification center and you can add Mobile Data and other imp buttons there. Cheers

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 8, 2012 6:03:33 PM
(0)
Tutor

Just sounding off about the Mobile Data toggle being removed.  I know ATT see's these posts....can somebody please say why this was removed.....???

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 10, 2012 7:15:08 AM
(0)
Tutor
Meh...we'll get it back with 4.2 at which time everyone else will be running on 6. In the meantime they want to make toggling more cumbersome so people use more data.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 10, 2012 4:04:48 PM
(0)
Tutor

"...want to make toggling more cumbersome so people use more data."

That's exactly what they're doing and it's disgraceful. When people ask me which phone to get I'm going to have them ask me which carrier to get, because AT&T is simply releasing substandard software that is designed to make the lives of customers more difficult.

The same setting can be enabled and disabled with 4 clicks instead of 2. This is an unacceptable regression. It's bad enough we also can't use Google Wallet for NFC payments.

I really didn't want to unlock my phone, but this is just ridiculous.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 10, 2012 4:57:53 PM
(0)
Contributor
Why else would AT&T bother and use their resources to remove this? They want us to use more mobile data for higher profit. S3 has total of 9 toggles.. 10 fits right into two pages...I assure you no one from AT&T will reply to this post. If they do they`d better be ready for follow up questions.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 10, 2012 7:59:04 PM
(0)
Expert
You can try either one of these or both from the App store, they are both free of charge and should work for you.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.myreallife.mobiledata&feature=also_installed

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.datalinkswitch&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMS...

Knight Rider Rules.gif

AT&T's return policy has changed effective 10/07/12.  You have 14 days to return the device & cxl without a ETF.  Policy info HERE.

Where is Justin Timberlake when you need him?. I need him to billed me a bridge to get a cross all these tears from complainers.This post is protected under the laws of the United States & other Countries. Unauthorized duplication, Distribution may result in civil liability & criminal prosecution.The OP gratefully acknowledge the cooperation of: The mods, Fellow forumites, Canada, The United States Of America, Mexico, USVI & Europe. As well as James Bond.

When the going gets rough, hide in a pillow fort and pretend you don't exist.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 11, 2012 11:57:59 PM
(0)
Tutor

How many more apps will we have to install to partially fix the next update from AT&T?

The apps posted look like they're just widgets and not actually part of the integrated pull down functions. This makes it more difficult to make changes while in app screens. Might as well have got an iPhone if I wanted hidden settings.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 12, 2012 5:07:50 PM
(0)
Contributor

I am completely convinced that this is a ploy to help people along in burning through their data every month due to the inconvenience of shutting off your mobile data. I have an unlimited plan, but i use it to help save my very limited battery. perhaps we can petition this ridiculous move by at&t.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 12, 2012 8:10:22 PM
(0)
Teacher

apel12 wrote:

How many more apps will we have to install to partially fix the next update from AT&T?

The apps posted look like they're just widgets and not actually part of the integrated pull down functions. This makes it more difficult to make changes while in app screens. Might as well have got an iPhone if I wanted hidden settings.

The Notification Toggle app puts it's toggles on the notification pull-down pane, and it can toggle data (you can configure toggles for about 30 different things).  The app is free, so there's not much to lose trying it except some time configuring it.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 7, 2013 8:02:21 AM
(0)
Contributor

Same here...sorry to see that one go.  And yes, you can get add on apps, but that is just one more thing to keep track of.  Many would have probably felt different if it wasn't there before, right?  But once you get used to something...

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 7, 2013 1:14:15 PM
(0)
Mentor

Power Toggles. Best widget for controlling WiFi, 4G, GPS, Bluetooth, etc. Very customizable.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 8, 2013 7:01:35 PM
(0)
Contributor
In addition to the missing data toggle I want to know why they changed the alarm app. I can't set repeat options; they removed the options. You gladness only select "weekly" Why did they fix what wasn't broken?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 10, 2013 1:15:01 PM
(0)
Mentor
power toggles is free and have no adds also.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 4, 2014 6:13:18 PM
(0)
Contributor

AT&T is deliberately making it more difficult for people to toggle off their data.  Like another poster here said, it's disgraceful.

I've had it with AT&T...  I'll be cancelling my landline, changing internet to Comcast, and moving my cell service to another carrier.

Why would I continue to do business with a company who is tries to deliberately undermine me with their product?