The Samsung Galaxy S24
tucson146's profile

Scholar

• 

70 Messages

Wednesday, September 28th, 2011 11:44 PM

Lost Google bar on homepage

While trying to get this somewhat hopeless voice / contact thing working on Captivate,  I followed a suggestion to hold the Google bar on the homepage of my captivate.  Well of course it ended up on the next page.  Trying to push it back to homepage it ended up falling in the trash.

How do I retrieve it?

Thanks,  Bill

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

13 years ago

Sounds like you deleted the google widget. Long press on the screen in the place where you want the widget. An "Add" options menu will display, select widget and find the Google widget.

Master

• 

2.7K Messages

13 years ago

Press and hold search button to activate voice search, not google bar. Or you can tap the mic button on google bar. But it it's not as easy as the dedicated search button. That's why I removed my search bar the first thing. Kind of useless.

if you are running 2.1 rom, you can only search through gmail contacts.

If you are running stock 2.2 froyo, voice action/voice dial only works via above method.
Only newer custom rom or leaked gingerbread rom supports voice dial/action via the button on bluetooth headset.

Scholar

• 

70 Messages

13 years ago

Thanks for the info.  I got it.

The voice dialing your talked about,  still is not working for my contact list.  It always dials a business on the web.

I did use the Voice Search app (not the Google tool bar mic - which still gives me the same result).

My Captivate came with the Android 2.2

I've looked all over the web and it seems some people have no problem and others can't get the voice dial to work properly.

I exported my contacts to my gmail,  and they are there,  but I don't understand how to access them from the phone for this gmail dialing thing people are talking about.

I really would like to use voice dialing my contacts.  Any more help would be great.

Master

• 

2.7K Messages

13 years ago

You have to say something like:

Dial (or maybe call) John Smith

It will search your contacts for John Smith with a phone number. If not found it will go to web search which is not what you wanted.

You can also say:

Navigate to John Smith

if John Smith in your contact list has an address. it will open up Google Nav and start navigation.

Use it in a quiet place. Noise makes it impossible to recognize your command. And most importantly, speak calmly and keep your mouth away from mic. Common mistake is if you find your phone can't understand your command, you start shouting at it to make it worse.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.