The Samsung Galaxy S24
Ann154's profile

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

Monday, April 11th, 2011 11:30 AM

Is this normal?

Okay I am getting to point where I need to decide if I am keeping this HTC Aria.  At work in the middle of tall building and concrete, the AT&T signal is great.  They have been there for awhile.  At home where the network is new, I can agree that their have delivered on their promise to be similar to the network I had before.  However if I go out of my home town just a few miles, the signal drops quickly to EDGE or GPRS.  It may be good voice signal strength, but I have to use my phone as my sole source for the internet when I am in that area for extended periods of time.  This area had Verizon 3G.  It might have been on their lower end of 3G, but I could easily use it without noticing a drop in speed.

Is normal EDGE speeds?

50 kbps down, 72 kbps up, 1188 ms

111 kbps dn, 88 kbps up, 1333 ms

111 kbps dn, 78 kbps up, 957 ms

122 kbps dn, 88 kbps up, 1095 ms

Are these normal 3G (HSPA) (selected results) speeds?

389 kbps dn, 129 kbps up, 388 ms (lowest test)

405 kbps dn, 97 kbps up, 256 ms

619 kbps dn, 97 kbps up, 389 ms

726 kbps dn, 92 kbps up, 542 ms

990 kbps dn, 131 kbps up, 423 ms

1212 kbps dn, 102 kbps up, 184 ms

1546 kbps dn, 136 kbps up, 1506 ms

1868 kbps dn, 114 kbps up, 356 ms (highest test)

For comparison Verizon 3G (selected results)

1751 kbps dn, 828 kbps up, 287 ms (highest test)

1555 kbps dn, 738 kbps up 257 ms

1202 kbps dn, 537 kbps up, 332 ms

985 kbps dn, 806 kbps up, 316 ms

880 kbps dn, 352 kbps up, 349 ms

594 kbps dn, 834 kbps up, 278 ms

428 kbps dn, 388 kbps up, 534 ms

244 kbps dn, 432 kbps up, 314 ms (lowest test)

126 kbps dn, 168 kbps 12 ms (I think this one was 1x)

All the speed tests were done with Ookla's speedtest.net app for android.

The download speeds seems to be about equal between networks.  The upload for AT&T is just SAD.  The ping latency on AT&T can vary a bit.  I only put one example of the 3G on here, but there were others that were in the 1000+ ms for tests.  The EDGE latency is just as bad. 

What do you as AT&T users think?

Can AT&T's signal range widely while been in one place?  I went from displaying three bars to zero in the span of minutes.  It will do this all day in my home.

Sorry for the blurry camera shots.  The other phone just couldn't focus that close.

three bars.jpg

two bars.jpgone bar.jpgzero bars.jpg

Probably from mobile, maybe. :)

4 Attachments

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

13 years ago

I don't know what area you're in Ann.  Testing on the Washington DC server, I get the below this morning in a concrete building near a window:

ping      download    upload

272ms   569kbps    1145kbps

277ms   461kbps    1044kbps

253ms   427kbps    1153kbps

200ms   565kbps    123kbps

290ms   889kbps    77kbps 

I used the Ookla Speedtest and have 3G service.  I'm rarely in Edge or GPRS areas.

From home (still on Washington DC's server) on tests from February 23, I got the following:

ping      download    upload

335ms   960kbps    1258kbps

1859ms 3978kbps   1647kbps

238ms   3577kbps  1698kbps

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

7.8K Messages

13 years ago

I havent havent installed theapp yet but need to, but afraid to look at my results. Att does fluctuate like that. But ihave seen some sad upload speed on my endas well. I have a call (which I am sure att support has closed , with out any followup whatsoever) where I am sitting in an office bldg with 3G signal andfull bars showing. I turn offwifi and attempt to load google to the surprise of it timing out saying page not available..yep thatsnations fastest network for you Then I try same thing going outside, etc, moving arounnd, standimg still..nope, no go , so I said. Ole att need some help. I turn wifi ack on and sure enough. The pages zoomed. both inside and outside the bldg. So I did this sickening scenario over and again so to know what to say when I call csr nighmare line. Long story short : sitti.g in the middle of one of the already upgraded cities with the highest signal and bars displayed which tells me I am connected to the nations fastest network, and with wifi, it connected, I even uploaded a sample file to youtube. .but under same conditions and turning off wifi. It crawled to a stop. CSR nighmare: their response......... Its the phone.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

13 years ago

Hmm... If you are having upload/download (in terms of speed) issues, I would give up the Aria and head back to Verizon. I can see that you are in a difficult situation. If Verizon's coverage was more widespread and essentially, quicker than you are experiencing with AT&T, I do not see why you wouldn't want to head back over there. 😉 I like Verizon, but they are a bit on the pricey side. Most people would say, "AT&T and Verizon have the same pricing structure", but really, Verizon's pricing plans jump ahead just slightly over equally what AT&T has to offer.

I may switch back to Verizon in a few years. Overall, they have been good, and I always had a great signal. The only problem I had was the pricing and the phone (needed a new battery BADLY).

This morning, I had forgot to bring something along with me, called my home, explained what I had forgotten, and hoped that I would get it. Unfortunately, in the middle of the call...it dropped. I had no idea what had happened to it. All I knew was, I was happy that I had explained for the most part what I needed.

If the AT&T network satisfies, Ann154, keep the Aria. If not, your HTC Droid Eris is always welcoming you with open arms... 😉

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

13 years ago

The EDGE tests were outside. The 3G tests were a mix of outside and in various buildings home and work.

This is another example. I should have been home at this time.
http://www.speedtest.net/android/43993307.png

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

13 years ago

I'm not sure if the metro area I work has been upgraded to HSPA+ network. The HTC Aria isn't capable of the plus side of that network.

The other thing I noticed this morning in a full bars location. The HTC Aria was seeing -79 dbm 17asu for signal strength. I am positive I would be -65 dbm in the same location on the Verizon network. From different articles from I have read, the higher the dbm, the better the signal. -104 dbm is the pits, -90 dbm is decent. -75 is very good, and -60 is wonderful.

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

13 years ago

I might tweak the Eris again, but I keep hearing Thunder in the background. 😉

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

13 years ago

Of course! 😄

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

13 years ago

You had to put that picture up! Willpower just eating itself away. 😄

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

13 years ago

Indeed. It is nice looking, isn't it? Android at its finest. 😉

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

13 years ago

It looks even better next to the other two. 😉

Androids.jpg

1 Attachment

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.