Posted Aug 4, 2011
8:06:15 AM
Inspire GB update, when?
Edited by erickm on Aug 4, 2011 at 8:08:00 AM

I saw on another board someone saying they have info from somewhere saying today is supposed to be the day. Any idea if that's true? and do we need to click htc wifi update or at&t update to check for it? or does it come through another way?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
Aug 4, 2011 11:00:16 AM
(0)
Teacher

there wasn't a set date, it just said in the 1st weeks of augest i would say this coming tuesday. It will be a at&t update and when you are connected to wifi it will pop up and say "ther is a imporant update for you phone" then you will have GB.

Accepted Solution

Inspire GB update, when?

[ Edited ]
24 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(24)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
Aug 4, 2011 11:00:16 AM
(0)
Teacher

there wasn't a set date, it just said in the 1st weeks of augest i would say this coming tuesday. It will be a at&t update and when you are connected to wifi it will pop up and say "ther is a imporant update for you phone" then you will have GB.

Re: Inspire GB update, when?

2 of 25 (2,993 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 4, 2011 11:13:22 AM
(0)
Teacher

Please explain what a "GB Update" .

Thanks.

Hanagan

3 of 25 (2,985 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 4, 2011 11:15:07 AM
(0)
Teacher

Sorry, I left out the word "is".

It appears that this update is anxiously being awaited by some members, but I don't know what it is.

Thanks again.

Hanagan

4 of 25 (2,984 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 4, 2011 12:31:32 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Hanagan wrote:

Thanks.

Hanagan

Gingerbread.  Android 2.3.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 25 (2,966 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 4, 2011 5:38:55 PM
(0)
Tutor

It's available on the HTC site: http://www.htc.com/us/support/inspire-att/downloads/

From their website:

Starting August 4th 2011, HTC will be rolling out a system update for the HTC Inspire 4G.

This update will only be available for AT&T HTC Inspire 4G Customers and will be sent to the device over the air. Once the release is ready, HTC Inspire 4G users will receive a notification on their device advising them of this update and provide instructions to receive and install it. Users can proactively check for this update by going to Home>Menu>Settings> AT&T Software Update > HTC Wi-Fi software update > Check now.  The system update can also be downloaded below and manually applied to the device.  less

This system update includes:

• Android 2.3.3      Gingerbread
  • New HTC Sense™      features
    • Updated       Application Tray features
    • Updated       FriendStream™ features
    • Added Quick       Settings in the Notifications window
  • Improved Power      Management function
  • Improved media      experience
  • Various minor      bug fixes

Manual system update instructions:

NOTE:  Performing the system update manually will delete all information from the device.  Ensure all information is backed up before proceeding.  Information saved on the microSD card will not be affected.

6 of 25 (2,913 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 8, 2011 10:43:00 AM
(0)
Tutor
I would NOT advise installing this update, Have spoken with htc about an issue with contacts,messaging apps not working correctly,messaging app only shows numbers and not contacts name for the most part, sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt...was informed there will be another OTA update to resolve this issue...

Regards,
WC

7 of 25 (2,359 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 8, 2011 11:07:33 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Wild Child wrote:
I would NOT advise installing this update, Have spoken with htc about an issue with contacts,messaging apps not working correctly,messaging app only shows numbers and not contacts name for the most part, sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt...was informed there will be another OTA update to resolve this issue...

Regards,
WC

I wonder if using a 3rd party messaging app solves these issues?  I've been using Chomp SMS for a long time, over the stock client on my HTC phone, because of the much better customization options.  In the past, it seems that using a 3rd party app circumvents various issues with the stock HTC and Google messaging apps.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

8 of 25 (2,349 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 8, 2011 2:22:33 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Wild Child on Aug 8, 2011 at 2:30:37 PM

Its with a few third party as well this is why they are going to probably re issue a OTA with a fixed build....I have no issues with 1.84 build which I was able to get back on my phone after I fought with this glitch for awhile...So there definitely an issue with this new build...which as I said was confirmed by HTC last night during my phone call with them....This release should NOT have been sent out with this type of glitch....Im speaking from a developers standpoint...

WC

[ Edited ]
9 of 25 (2,319 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 10, 2011 6:42:57 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Wild Child wrote:

Its with a few third party as well this is why they are going to probably re issue a OTA with a fixed build....

Please cite you source.

10 of 25 (2,201 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 11, 2011 11:22:12 AM
(0)
Teacher

I have the 2.3 update and let me say "it rocks."  Haven't had an issue with it at all.  Contacts show up in messaging app and HTC sense works perfectly.  It  may not work for some but  I  can say that it has definitely worked for me.  I am installing it in my daughters and my wife's Inspire. 

11 of 25 (1,813 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 11, 2011 12:44:01 PM
(0)
Teacher

Forgot to mention. Battery life is awsome.  I am now able to get a full day out of the battery with normal usage where before the update I was charging by lunch time when I unplugged from the charger around 7:30 am. 

12 of 25 (1,802 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 11, 2011 5:46:17 PM
(0)
Tutor

it comes through when you are connected to wifi becasue it does take a few minutes to download.  need to go to the htc wifi update to go through the update.

i love the update so far by the way :smileyhappy:

13 of 25 (1,784 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 11, 2011 5:58:17 PM
(0)
Contributor

Downloaded the update this morning before work while on the home Wi-Fi, then ran the install while in the car driving in to the office. Took about 10 minutes total maybe... Works great. No issue with messaging contacts at all, works just like it always has. My phone had not taken the 3'rd party update after a month and a half of AT&T trying to make it happen (I got tired of waiting rooted and did it myself), but this update went flawlessly. No issues at all, and I beat the heck out of it today.

14 of 25 (1,782 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 11, 2011 9:44:07 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Wild Child on Aug 11, 2011 at 9:46:12 PM

Wild Child wrote:

Its with a few third party as well this is why they are going to probably re issue a OTA with a fixed build....

Please cite you source.

which as I said was confirmed by HTC last night during my phone call with them

WC

[ Edited ]
15 of 25 (1,772 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 12, 2011 10:34:12 AM
(0)
Contributor

Updated last night and all my Contacts disappeared.  Stil have not figured out how to get them back.  Anyone figured it out?

16 of 25 (1,749 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 12, 2011 2:12:51 PM
(0)
Mentor

Mark, go to Contacts, Menu and View. My phone has boxes for Google, SIM and Phone. (I have all my contacts in Google)

Maybe check all the boxes and see if they appear??

I got the system update for Android 2.3 and installed it yesterday. It did add the box for "Unkown Sources" so then I was able to download the Amazon app store.

17 of 25 (1,735 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 18, 2011 7:58:43 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by ShaunMN on Aug 18, 2011 at 8:55:00 AM

Have been on the phone with AT&T, they are now aware of the contact issue, tier technician called HTC while I was on the phone and transferred call...It is a known issue and they do not have a solution yet....For those with the issue...you can actually downgrade without voiding warranty..

[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

WC

[ Edited ]
18 of 25 (1,642 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 18, 2011 2:19:56 PM
(0)
Tutor

Since this post has been edited and my helpful link has been removed....do not understand why as i have seen mentions of rooting etc in posts on here...and it was relevant to the topic of a faulty update and offering a solution to those having the bug of no contacts after the update....Annnnd since I cannot edit it just delete the post@moderates and I will not submit nor attempt to help any members here having issues with their device...

Thank you for your time....

WC

"Have been on the phone with AT&T, they are now aware of the contact issue, tier technician called HTC while I was on the phone and transferred call...It is a known issue and they do not have a solution yet....For those with the issue...you can actually downgrade without voiding warranty..

[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate]."

19 of 25 (1,621 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 22, 2011 5:32:18 PM
(0)
Scholar

I got mine. I didn't even know it was coming. I just happened to check.. You do have to click on the update, doesn't update automatically. My phone worked fine before but its better with gb. Battery life is improved a lot although I imagine nonandroid phones stil have a better battery life than I do.

erickm wrote:

I saw on another board someone saying they have info from somewhere saying today is supposed to be the day. Any idea if that's true? and do we need to click htc wifi update or at&t update to check for it? or does it come through another way?

20 of 25 (1,566 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 22, 2011 5:35:49 PM
(0)
Scholar

GB is referring to gingerbread or OS 2.3. Your inspire probably came with froyo (2.2). Android names their operating systems with sweet treat kind of things so you had eclair (can't remember before that) than froyo (frozen Yogurt), now gingerbreat and next will be honeycomb followed by ice cream.

Hanagan wrote:

Thanks.

Hanagan

21 of 25 (1,559 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 22, 2011 5:49:04 PM
(0)
Scholar

I updated and have had absolutely no problems. In fact, phone works better than before, better battery life. I updated Saturday (5/2011). I have limited knowledge of the inner workings of os and such so I didn't know it was gb. I just blindly updated and was happy when I figured out I had updated to gb. Loving it so far.

Wild Child wrote:

Regards,
WC

22 of 25 (1,558 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 22, 2011 5:57:49 PM
(0)
Professor
Android versions

Cupcake (Android 1.5)
Doughnut (Android 1.6)
Eclair (Android 2.0 to 2.1)
FroYo (Android 2.2)
Gingerbread (Android 2.3)
Honeycomb (Android 3.0+)
Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0?)

23 of 25 (1,556 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 11, 2012 10:03:07 AM
(0)
Voyager

I would like to get the update, but I am concerned about the problem some people are having with contacts disappearing and other issues.  Can someone tell me the best way to back up my phone before I attempt the update?

Thanks!

24 of 25 (1,243 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 12, 2012 9:28:51 AM
(0)

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple posts in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

25 of 25 (1,169 Views)