Posted Dec 2, 2012
11:14:59 AM
View profile
HTC one X plus stops receiving calls

I'm on my 2nd HTC One X plus in less than 2 weeks.  The 1st phone worked out of the box, then 4 days (could have been sooner) inbound calls stopped reaching the phone.  Callers got ringing then a switch to a busy signal or a message that call couldn't be completed.  Nothing reached my voicemail and the phone showed no missied calls or voicemails.  AT&T switched out the sim, the phone then worked for 2 days and again stopped receiving calls.  I could receive texts and call out.  Went back to ATT, received a new phone that worked for 1-1/2 days and now today is not receiving calls.  It either rings (8-10 times), then goes busy, or rings 2-3 times and gets a "unable" to connect message.  I really like the rest of the features of this phone, but if it won't receive calls it does me no good.  Is anyone else having this problem or had it and found a solution before I return it again?  Thanks. 

52 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(52)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 25, 2012 8:25:03 PM
(0)
Tutor

Hi Steve,  thanks for the updates on this particular solution.  I do receive alot of calls during the day and it was my dealbreaker.  After my last sim switch the phone worked for about 3 hours then fell off again.  I do believe this is a combination of this particular phone and the 4g/LTE settings.  So I traded mine back that day.  Got a different brand (actually the phone the next upgrade in the house wants) and it has

worked fine so far, 11 days at this point.  But will keep watching this thread so I can trade on the next upgrade at the end of january. Whether it's the software or hardware of this model, they (both ATT & HTC) need to work this out.  I did write to HTC one last time letting them know how my saga ended, and the one thing a cellphone should do is make and receive calls out of the box, the rest is pointless if it can't do that. The phone is great otherwise, but spending all my extra time switching sims and changing settings just to receive a basic function of the phone is to much. I hope this settings change works out, and if you have the time please post updates occasionally after Friday. SB

Re: HTC one X plus stops receiving calls

31 of 53 (5,164 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 27, 2012 7:13:48 AM
(0)
Voyager

I too am having the same issue with the Galaxy Note II and I am also in the Detroit market. A friend typed a code into my phone to turn off LTE and I don't seem to be having the issue anymore. I am disappointed that I cannot use LTE now and I hope they come up with a fix soon. 

32 of 53 (5,119 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 27, 2012 12:39:12 PM
(0)
Contributor

My HTC one X worked for months and now won't send or receive messages.  It only happens at my house though.

I have 5 towers close to me and a microcell so there should be no reason it doesn't work.

I think it is ALL DROID PHONES.  search the web and that is the one thing all people complain about and it's always droids, except with different telephone companies.

33 of 53 (5,108 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 31, 2012 5:21:40 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Phil-101 on Dec 31, 2012 at 7:24:50 PM

smjb,

May I ask what phone you changed to? As much as I like this HOX, missing phone calls is really starting to [word filter avoidance]:smileymad:

[ Edited ]
34 of 53 (5,006 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 2, 2013 12:25:31 PM
(0)
Contributor
I had the same problem. Resolved it by entering *#*#4636#*#*. Then used the menu to access "Select Radio Settings". I switched to USA Band and then confirmed it when message popped up. So far mine is receiving calls again just fine.

35 of 53 (4,949 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 2, 2013 12:29:43 PM
(0)
Contributor
Thank you,Steve. My One X+ was having the same problem. Tried your switch to "USA Band" and things are back to normal.....for now.

Re: Solution!!! (Possibly. Time will tell) PASS IT ON!!! Re: HTC one X plus stops receiving calls

36 of 53 (4,952 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2013 8:00:09 PM
(0)
Teacher

Guys,

I know I promised to update last Friday, but last weekend was hecticly busy! I have good news though. I have not had any missed calls (due to the phone not receiving) other than me not getting to the phone on time. SO it looks like this is a permanent fix thus far. I believe the Android makers have the default setings set for a worldwide market and this LTE thing was unexpected.

Remember, LTE does not facilitate voice traffic. It only handles data. Any voice calls and the phone must switch to GSM or CDMA, depending on carrier. I remember when the first LTE phone came out in the US - The HTC Thunderbolt I think it was, for Verizon, there was a big stink about them not being able to make or receive calls and an update had to be issued. It was probably the same thing. I don't know for sure.

So, if any of you are on any other forums like XDA or whatever, please pass this fix along. I called AT&T customer support and told them about it. And I called HTC customer support and told them about it. And how to fix it.

Re: Solution!!! (Possibly. Time will tell) PASS IT ON!!! Re: HTC one X plus stops receiving calls

37 of 53 (4,877 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 8, 2013 7:19:57 PM
(0)
Tutor

Are you sure this is actually working? On my phone there is no way to actually know if it switched bands or not. I've tried it a bunch of times and I am still missing calls. o_O

38 of 53 (4,738 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 9, 2013 8:49:58 AM
(0)
Tutor

Steve, glad to hear the phone is still working.  It's such a great phone it's to bad something like a setting would be such a problem.

to A670, I ended up with an S3, not my first choice.  But it works, getting all calls and while there have been some that don't ring through Ithe caller does get my voicemail (which wasn't happening with the HOX+) so I get my messages also.  I did much prefer the HTC sense ui over the Samsung touchwiz.  So that's a bit disappointing, but I needed a phone that could receive calls and time was up on my return period. Plus, while this is a "new" model, it's really just an updated HOX so it's surprising to me to have this problem out of the box.  Seeing how bugs and such are usually worked out by the time updates happen.  smjb

39 of 53 (4,723 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 9, 2013 3:37:43 PM
(0)
Tutor

I've thought about turning mine in for a S3 also but I really dont care for that amoled screen. The colors are too dark and saturated for my aging eyes. Also, I really like the HOX and I got it on sale for .99c:smileyvery-happy:

I think I'm going to either root the device or try changing my data plan to a HSPA+ plan, which I did not know was possible until today.

40 of 53 (4,705 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2013 11:57:53 AM
(0)
Teacher

atntSteve wrote:

Guys,

I know I promised to update last Friday, but last weekend was hecticly busy! I have good news though. I have not had any missed calls (due to the phone not receiving) other than me not getting to the phone on time. SO it looks like this is a permanent fix thus far. I believe the Android makers have the default setings set for a worldwide market and this LTE thing was unexpected.

Remember, LTE does not facilitate voice traffic. It only handles data. Any voice calls and the phone must switch to GSM or CDMA, depending on carrier. I remember when the first LTE phone came out in the US - The HTC Thunderbolt I think it was, for Verizon, there was a big stink about them not being able to make or receive calls and an update had to be issued. It was probably the same thing. I don't know for sure.

So, if any of you are on any other forums like XDA or whatever, please pass this fix along. I called AT&T customer support and told them about it. And I called HTC customer support and told them about it. And how to fix it.

Any idea how to fix GS3 ?

41 of 53 (4,643 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2013 1:18:31 PM
(0)
Teacher

wilcre wrote:
give the info below a try and see if that resolves your issue for you.

Open dialer

Type *#*#4636#*#*

go to phone info

near bottom change wcdma preferred to wcdma only

Bear in mind if you go to somewhere that has no 3g coverage you will have no signal at all and this change will drop off after a reboot

Buy/Upgrade 4G LTE device (pay $200, 2 year contract) & then downgrade the phone setting to WCDMA ?

42 of 53 (4,635 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2013 4:58:40 PM
(0)
Teacher

Buy/Upgrade 4G LTE device (pay $200, 2 year contract) & then downgrade the phone setting to WCDMA ?

Don't worry, that didn't actually fix the issue as it would not hold the "downgrade" switch to WCDMA. The other solution of going into the phone settings by entering the *#*# etc... and selecting the US radio bands does fix the problem. AND it still works on LTE.

Steve

43 of 53 (4,462 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2013 5:04:50 PM
(0)
Teacher

contactparag wrote:

Any idea how to fix GS3 ?

My sister has a GS3 from tMobile. I will check hers out to see if the *#*# etc... string gets me into phone settings. I read earlier this code does not work for Motorola models. So I will update to let people know if the Sammy's have the same phone settings code. I also still have my old phone - a GS2 Skyrocket that has ATT LTE so if my sister's phone doesn't pan out (TMobile does not have LTE) maybe I can find something out that way.

44 of 53 (4,461 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2013 7:29:33 PM
(0)
Voyager

I think there is a Play Store app called network (among others it looks like) which will let you select the radio network without typing the info string in the dialer.  http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=33013250&postcount=3

45 of 53 (4,381 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2013 1:31:52 PM
(0)
Tutor

Hello all,

I have been having this issue since last 2 months. I have done everything as per AT&T's guidelines but nothing worked. (changed SIM, changed phones, factory resets) Even after all this AT&T is not ready to admit its fault. And they are treating this issue as "User Issue"

I have posted on AT&T's facebook page and I seem to be getting responce from AT&T. I also received a call from AT&T public relations this morning. If you all can comment about your frustration on the link provided below and describe that you are having the same issue, we can get good visibility and hopefully solve the issue. If not, we can include media like Engadet, The Verge and others to get media coverage. Please comment your issue on the link below. Thanks a lot in advance.

http://www.facebook.com/ATT/posts/10151354193843909

46 of 53 (4,344 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2013 12:27:50 PM
(0)
Tutor

I haven't visited the forum for few days but the  *#*#INFO#*#*, USA bands seems to fix the issue for me as well. Now the phone rings almost immediately after 1-2 rings. Lets see how it holds for me.

47 of 53 (4,128 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2013 4:31:57 PM
(0)
Tutor

I've tried the USA bands numerous times and as far as I can tell, it has absolutely no effect on my phone. Is there any way to actually tell if the settings on the phone have actually changed?

48 of 53 (4,111 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 24, 2013 8:46:00 AM
(0)
Contributor

I have tried all of the above steps which did not help the problem.  I switched the user to a Samsung Galaxy S3 and the missed calls continued.

The error is an AT&T LTE issue with Android 4.0 and higher phones.  AT&T have been aware of the problem since July 2012.  The trouble ticket the RF engineers have state its due to cs fall-back failure.

49 of 53 (4,083 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 24, 2013 1:50:08 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by crynosis on Jan 24, 2013 at 1:50:51 PM

They did a warranty exchange on my HTC One X+ for this issue, and the phone they sent me has a blown ear speaker. Calls are very low and have static. They are sending me another one but I am extremely angry I have to deal with this broken phone while the other one gets here. You'd think I wouldn't get a broken phone as a replacement.

[ Edited ]
50 of 53 (4,067 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 6, 2013 9:47:48 PM
(0)
Mentor

Well, the radio band "fix" didn't actually fix anything, so I am trying another suggestion:  Changing the APN.  You lose LTE so is a less than optimum solution for a lot of people, but I use mostly wi-fi so I don't care all that much.

Instructions here.

51 of 53 (3,205 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 7, 2013 7:21:42 PM
(0)
Tutor

You can prevent using LTE that way, or at least get rid of the LTE icon but none of the ones I tried solved the missed call issues. The only way that I can get consistent calls is when I'm on Edge- "E" displayed and none of the numerous APN's I have tried will force Edge use. Keep us updated:smileysad:

52 of 53 (3,174 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 8, 2013 8:51:58 AM
(0)
Mentor

The problem of course is that you can never really be sure that any particular solution works.  Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

53 of 53 (3,155 Views)