The Samsung Galaxy S24
electricmainline's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Friday, February 25th, 2011 3:28 PM

HTC Inspire VS. Yahoo Mail

I am having a problem with Yahoo! Mail not working on my device.  I'm continually being told my username/password combination is incorrect.  I read another post where a customer had the same issue and found that if they disconnect from WiFi it will work.  This did work for a few days, even though I shouldn't have to do this just to get my mail, but I'm a patient person.  The problem, however, is now it isn't working on either the network or WiFi.  I've had to download the Yahoo! Mail App to get my emails.  Again, I'm OK with this as long as I get my mail.  I'm just curious if other's are having the same problem and if there's a solution?  Your thoughts are appreciated.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

13 years ago

I did finally get my Yahoo mail set up with the regular Mail app provided on the phone.  However, I'm connected to WiFi while at work and now I can't get my yahoo mail to work.

Is this a known issue yahoo when connected to Wifi?

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

13 years ago

@RicoLX wrote:

@Wild Banchi wrote:

@techygal wrote:

OMG thank you all for your help. I finally got it to work. I almost sold the phone, I was getting so mad!!

Mine still won't work on my Captivate. 😞 I've entered all the IMAP settings and fields correctly, but it still refuses to work. 😞 I have turned Wi-Fi off as suggested in the "androidcentral" forum, but it still will not go through. I get the error "Setup could not finish: Unable to connect to server".

Any ideas?

Hey Wild Banchi:  I set up the ATT.net email (which is actually yahoo) with the following settings and that message went away for me:

Incoming:

IMAP Server:   imap.mail.yahoo.com

Security Type : SSL (always)

Port: 993

Outgoing:

SMTP Server:  smpt.mail.yahoo.com

Security Type;  SSL (always)

Port: 465

Requiere Sign-in checked

and of course, your att.net email and password

Not sure how many are taking advantage of the free att.net email but its the same as yahoo.  When i switched from the yahoo direct account to att.net, my logon/password error messages went away.

Thanks, RicoLX. I will give it a try tomorrow when I have some more time. I'm guessing that I would have to have Wi-Fi disabled to fully be able to access the mail? If this is going to be a problem, then I'll just use my Mail app on my iPod Touch. It has absolutely no problem recognizing my Yahoo! Mail account on there... It must be some type of Android issue with the Yahoo! accounts or something...

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

13 years ago

@cmiddl01 wrote:

I did finally get my Yahoo mail set up with the regular Mail app provided on the phone.  However, I'm connected to WiFi while at work and now I can't get my yahoo mail to work.

Is this a known issue yahoo when connected to Wifi?

I sure hope not. I always check my Yahoo! Mail account on my Touch, and it works. (I guess I'm kind of re-explaining my above post, whoops... ;)) But Wi-Fi is a MUST for me, as I don't want to incur any prepaid data charges through the data network on my Captivate while trying to just check my mail... I hope this is going to work out as planned...

Contributor

• 

1 Message

13 years ago

I had problems also with yahoo and hotmail. Sometimes I'd get new emails other times I wouldn't, whether on WIFI or not.

Solved my problem with an app called K9-MAIL from the market. Best email app I've used.

Employee

• 

6 Messages

13 years ago

There was a minor typo in the settings listed in this thread. SMTP Server should be smtp.mail.yahoo.com, not smpt.... This page will give you the instructions for how to enter the settings.

Professor

• 

7.8K Messages

13 years ago

@hawksfan81 wrote:

There was a minor typo in the settings listed in this thread. SMTP Server should be smtp.mail.yahoo.com, not smpt.... This page will give you the instructions for how to enter the settings.

Hawksfan81: thanks for pointing that out and notating the correction.. That was my error. Smiley Indifferent

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

13 years ago

RicoLX,

Thanks for the link on the updated yahoo mail setting:

My yahoo mail stopped working as of last week and with the new settings I am able to access it again!

Thanks again.

New users (or existing user attempting to add a new Yahoo/AT&T account): use the Manual Set up option to enter the required server settings.
Existing users: if their Yahoo/AT&T account stops syncing, please direct them to Edit the account settings and enable SSL.
• Server/Protocol – IMAP
• IMAP/Incoming Server – imap.mail.yahoo.com
• Security Type – SSL (or “secure connection” option)
• Incoming Port – 993
• Outgoing Server – smtp.mail.yahoo.com
• Security Type – SSL (or “secure connection” option)
• Outgoing Port – 465

Professor

• 

7.8K Messages

13 years ago

blootooth.png

And thank you,K2, no problem, glad you are back in business!

1 Attachment

Mentor

• 

85 Messages

13 years ago

I am also having the same issue but i cant send emails out. I recieve them perfectly fine just cant reply to anything. I get the same "Authentication failed" or "Cannot connect to mail server to verify account information" when I try to enter the settings mentioned above. Email was working fine since I got my Inspire but this just started happening. Any ideas, help!

Professor

• 

7.8K Messages

13 years ago

Is yours an android phone? If so, theres a slight difference with android setup.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.